January 20th, 2008

Edwards: 'I got my butt kicked'

Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.
Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.

(CNN) - After a crushing loss in Nevada's Democratic caucuses Saturday, presidential candidate John Edwards said Sunday that he hopes "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Edwards placed a distant third in the vote, with just 4 percent of the vote, behind Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

“I got my butt kicked. That is what happened in Nevada,” the former North Carolina senator told Wolf Blitzer on CNN’s Late Edition. “And the job for me now is - I have learned this from my whole life experience, is when you get knocked down, you have got to get up. You have got to get up and start fighting again…

“I would kind of like to go back to the old Las Vegas saying, though. You know, ‘what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas’? I hope that turns out to be true in this case.”

Instead of campaigning in Nevada in the days before Saturday’s vote, Edwards focused instead on stumping in his birth state of South Carolina, where he won the 2004 primary.

Edwards is running a distant third in the state in most recent surveys, behind Obama and Clinton.

Saturday night, after his disappointing Nevada finish, his campaign tried to downplay the importance of results in any one state. "The race to the nomination is a marathon and not a sprint,” said Edwards’ campaign manager, former Rep. David Bonior. “The nomination won't be decided by win-loss records, but by delegates, and we're ready to fight for every delegate.”

On Sunday, Edwards continued to sound a cautious theme, saying South Carolina was “important,” but just one “part of the long process. …We will see how it goes.”

Related video: Watch Edwards' Late Edition interview with Wolf Blitzer

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: John Edwards • Nevada
  1. xtina - chicago IL

p.s. People who keep saying they hate big billionaire companies crack me up. Shouldn't we be proud of American companies that are successful? Why do we want poorly-managed, highly-unionized companies in this country? Instead of hating Wal-Mart or Disney or McDonald's why don't people buy stock in these successful companies and share the wealth?

January 20, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. Yousuf-NY

John Edward is a class act. He would be a great candidates for VP esp under OBAMA. but I do prefer Hillary/Edwards, because I dont see america having African-American president, atleast not yet. I am not white, I AM NOT WHITE but I will not be VOTING for African-american. Not that I love hillary, but i am not ready for a black president. African-american would go insane, and call it black power and I DONT want to see that. I have seen things in NYC when David Dinking was a mayer........call me what you want but I am for Hillary/edward or even hillary Obama!!!! NOT OBAMA and others.....sorry.....

January 20, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. Jenny, Paxton, MA

John Edwards,

the American style unionism will never get you anywhere, because it's mostly and transparently a collective selfishness.

to be fair, there are genuine progressives, in and around the union movement, who work for real equality for everyone – not equal opportunity to exploit the others. but the majority IN the unions are not there yet.

so start educating yourself and others first, about the real alternative.

January 20, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. YES-WE-CAN

John Edwards needs to stay in. For delegates sake , leave the man alone!

Obama /Edwards 2008

January 20, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. Seam, Philly, Pa

Thanks Nevada for voting status-quo. It just goes to show you that this country is stuck in the Clinton-Bush dynasty era.

January 20, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. Mike R.

I would never support Hillary in any case, if she gets nominated I will vote Ind.The woeman is just not going to tell the truth, she learned from bill.you could say good bye to all the good things you enjoyed in life if she got elected.

January 20, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. mr perfect

What about the HAIR CUT?
    THAT SAYS IT ALL !!!!!!!!!!
    4000.00 DOLLAR HAIR CUT, MAYBE OUTRAGEOUS ?
    THATS WHAT SUNK HIM

January 20, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. mr perfect

jOHN mCBUSH WHAT A SCARRY THOUGHT

January 20, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Julius above Montana

Less then 12000 people voted and you got 350+ votes given the over all numbers I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - but still you will not be the nominee

January 20, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. Hillary HATES CATS

He needs to pull out and support Obama.

Hillary hates CATS so I hope she loses

America owes Hillary nothing.

January 20, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Hillary 08

I am just glad I don't live in Philly, PA!!!!

January 20, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Carl

JOHN GET OUT OF THE RACE, PLEASE

January 20, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. E. C., Houston, Texas

John Edwards is the very BEST Candidate for the Democratic Party...Let's hope that the Ultra Smart Democrats wake up to this fact. Edwards has the Most Experience to make the Changes Necessary and Edwards KNOWS HOW to get it accomplished. Let's HOPE that Obama and Clinton stumble and fall so that Edwards will be there....waiting to take the spotlight. Edwards is Definitely the Winner of these Three Candidates..........No Question. Hillary wouldn't be where she is today IF she wasn't cashing in on Favors Owed to Bill Clinton. Either way, NEITHER of the Clintons have been good for this country. BOTH show great LACK OF MORAL FIBER, INTEGRITY, and a GREAT LACK OF CHARACTER ....NOT to mention, HIGH LEVELS OF DISHONESTY. Together, the Clintons are a Disgrace to this country, and Obama knows NOTHING about what he is doing. Obama may know how to chose the right words for a speech and deliver it in the style of a black country preacher....BUT.......BOTH mean absolutely NOTHING when it comes to Leading a Great Nation.......Obama is a LOST SOUL with Pie in the Sky Ideals that are FAR FROM BEING REALISTIC....
    Democrats.......wake up to this.....you're all voting for the WRONG candidates........VOTE FOR EDWARDS....he is the BEST you have!

January 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Hillary 08

DK got more votes at our caucus than Edwards.....they stuck to their guns but as soon as they weren't viable the Edwards people just either went home and didn't get counted in the final vote or they just went sheepishly over to either the Clinton group or the Obama group....they should have stayed and stuck it out!!!

January 20, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Andie X.

Its a shame the union workers let themselves be led away from Edwards by their leadership. My suspicions of corporate greed; that even reaches into the pockets of the union pension funds had something to do with that.

January 20, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. Phil Memphis, TN

Julius, those are delegates, not votes.

January 20, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Disappointed in 08

The bottom line is that Clinton and her supporters want Edwards in the race, because he is taking anti-Hillary votes away from Obama. Does that mean he should drop out simply for that reason, I personally don’t think so. I personally think Edwards is more in line with Obama in terms of issues and the things they would like to accomplish. I know it probably will not happen, but and Obama/Edwards duo to take down the Clinton establishment would be nice right about now.

When campaigning started I didn’t support any of the candidates, however over the last month I’ve turned my support to Obama. Unfortunately, living in MI voters couldn’t participate in the Democratic primary. I would hear people constantly refer to Hillary as divisive and I questioned what they meant. Well, over the past couple of weeks I’ve seen first hand how divisive she can be. I applaud Obama for trying to run a unifying campaign, and I’m disappointed with the way Hillary and Bill have injected race into the primary, and have used every opportunity to denigrate and tear down the Obama personally. I’m not absolving Obama from his fair share, but the Hillary camp clearly threw the first punch and fueled the fire. I wish the Democratic Party would wake up and see the potential in an Obama/Edwards 08 presidency. The Democratic establishment (that clearly supports Hillary ten fold) doesn’t realize that the Republicans are pulling for her to win. They want to take America back to the Clinton days, so they can draw up old scandals and foreign policy blunders and rub it in their face. The Republican attack machine has so much dirt on the Clinton’s when their done dragging them through the mud you wont be able to tell who they are anymore. Unfortunately, wisdom will not prevail and we will more than likely have to endure another Clinton campaign, or worse another Republican presidency. Good Grief.

January 20, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  18. Mike R.

John Edwards, has a very good chance of winning in sc.It is his home state, you would think that would mean something after all he isn't Al Gore who lost his home state.John has been spending a lot of there.If Mcain can win so can John Edwards.

January 20, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. stephen

For those who think Edwards loves the poor – lets hear what he has to say about Humana Inc, or Fortress Hedge Funds, etc...go on folks – ask him about it...

only Dennis Kucinich grew up knowing true poverty...now he has to deal with the intellectual poverty of the American polictical process, and the ethical bankruptcy of the Corporate American Media...

again, I think Edwards is better than Hillary or Obama, but I wish Edwards would say publicly that excluding Kucinich from the CNN debates (as well as the other debates)...

anyway, there is too much else to cover...democracy?? yeah right! USA=China=Russia, with some minor differences here and there...

January 20, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  20. crissy

keep on going john until the very end. there is no other canidate willing to fight for the middle class like you will. your real supporters will be with u all the way. it is quite obvious your "fly by night " supporters have not been affected by the policies of w and have adequate health insurance, job security, and big fat bank accounts to send their kids to college. well, in my home we do not, even with two incomes. very sad when people fall prey to the corporate media machine, which is just what they are counting on. whatever happened to holding steadfast to your convictions. whatever happens in the primaries and the general election, the american people have nobody to blame but themselves. the choices are clearly out there, but instead some will give in to the so called "frontrunner" . my husband and i are with you all the way john.

January 20, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. John Bailo

What amazes me is that Edwards should have been able to climb high in votes by staying out of the Obama-Clinton racist fracas. He's a decent guy with solid values and doesn't seem to be a hothead or a divider like the other two. I guess people want to see some more punches thrown...

January 20, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. rw

I don't know Mr. Edwards, but you need to stop male-bonding with your buddy Obama.
    It's turning a lot of people off. I have never seen such bonding between two candidates in a political race. Why don't you just quit running and work for the Obama campaign? You might be a great lawyer, but in politics you have a lot to learn.

January 20, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Val

Who in their right mind would want Obama as our next president. The country would be in far worse shape than it is now). He talks the talk.......but I most sane Americans know – he won't be able to walk the walk. I far trust Hillary than Obama.......at least with Hillary – our country will improve and not stay the same or get worse if Obama gets in there. Please Lord – NOT OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Scott

Edwards is the only dem. who has beat all republicans in polls. Neither Hillary nor Obama stand a chance of becoming pres., especially if someone popular such as McCain wins the primaries. Hillary is too divisive & entrenched with special interests & Obama is too liberal & inexperienced. Neither one of them will win any of the red states. Edwards is also the only candidate that has vowed to keep lobbyists out of his admin., something that terrifies republicans. If dems have a bad tendency to go for the most liberal candidate. If they want to win in Nov., they're going to have to be realists.

January 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Mike R.

No one cares how much John Edwards payed for a hair cut.we only care if he looks good,has a good message,and has some morel values.He qualifies in all aspects to be a presidental cantidate.

January 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |