January 20th, 2008

Edwards: 'I got my butt kicked'

Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.
Edwards said Sunday he's in it for the long haul.

(CNN) - After a crushing loss in Nevada's Democratic caucuses Saturday, presidential candidate John Edwards said Sunday that he hopes "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Edwards placed a distant third in the vote, with just 4 percent of the vote, behind Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

“I got my butt kicked. That is what happened in Nevada,” the former North Carolina senator told Wolf Blitzer on CNN’s Late Edition. “And the job for me now is - I have learned this from my whole life experience, is when you get knocked down, you have got to get up. You have got to get up and start fighting again…

“I would kind of like to go back to the old Las Vegas saying, though. You know, ‘what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas’? I hope that turns out to be true in this case.”

Instead of campaigning in Nevada in the days before Saturday’s vote, Edwards focused instead on stumping in his birth state of South Carolina, where he won the 2004 primary.

Edwards is running a distant third in the state in most recent surveys, behind Obama and Clinton.

Saturday night, after his disappointing Nevada finish, his campaign tried to downplay the importance of results in any one state. "The race to the nomination is a marathon and not a sprint,” said Edwards’ campaign manager, former Rep. David Bonior. “The nomination won't be decided by win-loss records, but by delegates, and we're ready to fight for every delegate.”

On Sunday, Edwards continued to sound a cautious theme, saying South Carolina was “important,” but just one “part of the long process. …We will see how it goes.”

Related video: Watch Edwards' Late Edition interview with Wolf Blitzer

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: John Edwards • Nevada
  1. Ndong Martin San Marino(Italy)

Kriss Nguidjol!
    How are you there?

You get it, we are Kmer brother! Lol! Even here we are so proud of Obama ...
    I remain convince that he could make it. But even not, with his performance this "define moment of american history" will be remember for a long time.
    Obama is making something incredible, and I think he would get it.
    LET'S HOPE!!!
    Take care brother !

January 20, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  2. Mike - Los Angeles

After reading the candidate's web sites, and listening to the debates and any other snippets I can find on YouChoose, I've decided that as long as John Edwards is on the ballot I will vote for him regardless of what the polls and pundits say.

January 20, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Georgia voter

The haircut thing is way overblown-I bet Obama and Hillary do not get $15 haircuts like most of us. (Even though John Edwards may remember cheaper haircuts as a child when he was living a lifestyle that most middle-class Americans live.--Can Hillary or Obama relate??)
    John Edwards scares Republicans---
    Stay in the race John Edwards and give specifics as to how you would be good for the this country-and try to get someone with good international experience-like Sam Nunn–on your ticket--

January 20, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. Margarita, Los Angeles

HOW'S THAT INDIGNANT ANGRY COMMON MAN CRAP WORKING FOR YOU? CRAWL BACK INTO YOUR LAWYER PISS POT

January 20, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. Deanna Woodham

Senator Edwards, I admire you for your background, experience, and dedication to solving the problem of poverty and education. However, I honestly believe that you could best help to achieve your goals by withdrawing from the Democratic primary campaign and supporting Barack Obama, who has the same agenda as you. A grateful nation would thank you for this selfless decision.

January 20, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. Carrie

Three states have voted, the race isn't over. Edwards should stay in the race.

My prediction: The Democrats will nominate Hillary Clinton. The same old, same old: angry and fighting in DC will continue. Then, fours years from now, all of us will be debating the same thing because nothing has CHANGE.

You get the country that you deserve! Wake-up people!

Obama/Edwards 08

January 20, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. Georgia voter

Please post my post of 7:50 pm.

January 20, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. Scott

Go home John!!

You and your wife's petulant bleating about the underprivileged and on the environment is a shallow, cynical ruse – most of America knows this. Authenticity is not a posture or a pose. Head back to your huge house in your private jet and stop annoying us! BTW please take Mike Huckabee with you.

Hugs and Kisses, Scott

January 20, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. patsy cincotta

Xtina in Chicago: So the richest 1 percent are productive and hard working and deserve their tax loopholes and breaks? I know a lot of productive and hard working people who are far from rich. Don't they deserve some breaks? Maybe you are not aware of just how rich the richest are – or how they got that way. Yes, it is class warfare and it's time for us to bring back a middle class in America. John Edwards knows all about this danger to our country and would work to change it. And he has been bringing a message of change all along – Obama and Clinton picked up on his ideas and ran with them. Since the media advertises what they say over and over, it looks like these ideas originated with them. Have you ever listened to a speech by Edwards? I doubt it. Obama is not the only one who instills HOPE. Edwards is the best candidate the Democrats have had in a long, long time.

January 20, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  10. Billie

I voted for Bill C 2 times but 8 years of the Clintons is all i can take now i see how they will do anything to gain power i pray Edwards will do what he can to help Obamawhen he sees that its not
    going to be him

January 20, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  11. T R, C-ville, VA

John is the right candidate, because he is in it to help fix America not massage his ego. His two America message is the truest on the campaign circuit. Average Americans need to take back their country from the corporate and over-privilege interests to make a better future for all children. He's a fighter and smarter than both others too. Go John for us middle Americans-that are ever shrinking as the Retardicans have sold out our people for their own gain.

January 20, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. kalliope

1. Edwards, please get outta the way!
    2. No Obama/Edwards 08, he did nothing in 04 when beating the idiot incumbent and his sidekick seemed all but guaranteed.
    3. No more Edward anything on posters, buttons, speeches.

January 20, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  13. sven

It's all so very sad really. I will support Edwards simply because he at least understands enough of the rhetoric he cribbed from Dennis Kucinich to make it sounds reasonable. The media made a complete point and united front to send US the message that a progressive a forward thinking politician like Dennis Kucinich will NEVER be allowed into the halls of power.

IT's a rigged game, and it makes my head hurt because of how obvious it is.

I hope CNN will at least ALLOW Dennis KUCINICH inTO the DEBATE so that we can hear something along the lines of truth, not the watered down agendas, all vetted and preapproved (like our credit with China).

So Texas will lock Dennis out of the ballot because he won't sign a loyalty oath!...it will have to be John Edwards for me...

January 20, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Julie, Atlanta, GA

Don't stop fighting, John Edwards. NEVER GIVE UP on what is right. And what is right is YOU!!!

YOU are the only candidate who will fight for me and for my family. I will always stand with you and Elizabeth because I know you will always stand with me.

Good grief, you are THE MOST ELECTABLE candidate the dems could ever hope to have...It's pathetic that sooooo many are blinded by the rush to judgement (first female vs. first african american) hype as if this were a professional boxing match.

America DESERVES a president who will make us feel proud again. Someone who remembers and will stick up for working people...America NEEDS John Edwards.

The media BLACKOUT that has prevented John Edwards from getting his message out DISGUSTS me.

GO JOHN GO!

January 20, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  15. Jessica, VA

John Edwards is tanking because he is only spouting off sound bites... He tells the same stories over and over again and uses the same phrases over and over again. Regardless of his intentions, I believe the vast majority of Americans find this annoying. I think there are some real Jimmy Carter comparisons there...

Combine that with most Americans' absolute ignorance of the issues. People vote on personality and perception, not on cold hard facts. Take the housing market for example. In debates, Hillary comes out with an actual plan and uses big words like moratorium and fixed interest rate. Granted, she might be shoving us into a pretty backwards situation, but people are impressed by her language and her confidence. John Edwards comes back with some lame, repetitive crap about "rich America and poor America" and both rich and poor American groan.

January 20, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. tiddle

Seth(Kentucky): If Hilary Clinton got a pseudo-VP candidate (Bill) to do the free publicity and media circuit, way before the nomination, so much the better for her. There's no fair game. Grow up, dude.

AJ, IL: I agree with you. The more debates I see him, the more apologies I hear from him. In fact, he seems to be apologizing every time when anyone asks him about this and that past vote of his. I'll cut him some slack for one or two apologies/bad votes, but every single darn time? Frankly, I'm not too impressed at all.

============

Edwards has come across as much more forceful than his show in 2004. Back then, he tried to play nice, and remained nice and upbeat in his vp nominee days. This time round, he's so vicious, it's sometimes hard to look at him. He certainly aligned himself with Obama, and well positioned to be Obama's vp choice, should Obama get the vote. But I have a feeling that if Edwards drops out, his votes would well go to Clinton, instead of Obama.

January 20, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. Kristy Show Me State

JOHN EDWARDS STAND STRONG!

MY FAMILY IS READY TO VOTE FOR YOU HERE IN THE SHOW-ME-STATE!

MISSOURI IS A SWING STATE AND WE TEND NOT TO LISTEN TO OTHER

STATES! JOHN STAY IN ALL THE WAY TO THE CONVENTION!

FREEDOM FOR ALL TO THINK AND VOTE!

January 20, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  18. John, Jacksonville Fl

Edwards, its time for you to drop out brother man! Save your bucks! This race aint happening for you.

January 20, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  19. Inform Us

It is time to finally challenge the press. I would like to challenge them to loose the personal feelings and preferences that have dominated the media and to take one or two of each canditate's platforms, proposals, positions and to explore and lay them out side by side for all to see and review. It is long overdue and the much needed true hard work of informing the public and educating everyone on exactly what each canditate's position truly is does not exist. It is time to end your info-commercial approach and ratings game and provide us with real news and facts.

January 20, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. Andrew N

GIVE IT UP JOHNNY BOY....

You didn't deserve 2nd in Iowa ... You didn't deserve 3rd in NH ... you didn't deserve 3rd in NV you are a liar and a good for nothing politician.

Nice try, AGAIN, Mr. Edwards....

Go back to your home state where you are in 3rd place there as well hahaha

January 20, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  21. dan shore

JOHN EDWARDS HAIR CUT WAS NOT 4000.00$ IT WAS 400.00$ BUT WHAT HE PAYS FOR A HAIR CUT I COULD CARE LESS.I WORKED IN A TEXTILE PLANT FOR 47YEARS BILL CLINTON NAFTA TOOK CARE OF THAT BUSH CAFTA, WTO AND OPEN BORDERS TOOK CARE OF THE REST OF THE TEXTILES JOBS AND NOW THEY ARE GOING INTO OTHER JOBS OF ALL KINDS WE WAS SOLD OUT BY REGAN,BUSH 1 CLINTON AND BUSH 2 I HOPE WE DON'T HAVE CLINTON 2 THAT WOULD BE BAD,BORDERS WIDE OPEN WALK IN ANY TIME ,WE NEED A GIVE THEM HELL HARRY TRUMAN IF THERE ANY ONE LEFT LIKE THAT ,PEOPLE CAN VOTE FOR WHO EVER THEY PLEASE IT IS YOUR RIGHT BUT I'M FOR JOHN EDWARDS,I AM ALSO FROM NORTH CAROLINA .

January 20, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. Florida Republican

If Edwards can get a decent percentage out of S.Carolina and polish his stump speech up a bit I think he still has a chance. I don't think folks in the south take to Hillary too much and Obama is likable enough just not tough enough for our taste.

January 20, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  23. Ray

For those saying that Edwards is trying to start class warfare – wake up. Class warfare is already going on, and if you're in denial about it, then you are likely on the losing side. We clearly need leadership in Washington that will at least be a speed bump slowing down the mega-wealthy from stripping every last dollar out of our middle-class pockets. Have you looked at what lobbyists spend for influence? Do you have any guesses where all that money comes from? That's right, US. Edwards sees this influence and isn't scared to talk about it. God bless him.

In truth, though, I think Edwards should drop out soon, and endorse Obama. All other things aside, I am pretty sure that Hillary cannot win the White House. I'm not saying it's right or moral or fair, but there is just too much antipathy in this country against her. I don't share it, but I see it, and it scares me – it's really important that Democrats win in November. I agree with an earlier post that stated any Democrat will bring about change, and in many ways, the changes will be roughly the same – so how about nominating the person with the best chance of winning? They're all good candidates. Some of the best, of course, didn't even get a chance, but we have to check our frustration about that at the door, and make sure we nominate the person with the best shot.

January 20, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. Tom Davie

Hey georgia poster.

You think this is bad? the PRO OBAMA moderator today wont post ANYTHING i put up. Ouch . Im sorry your beloved OBAMA isnt going to win there CNN moderator.

January 20, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  25. Val

Don't give up, John. I think that you have the right answers to many of our country's problems. Just let Hillary and Obama duke it out.

January 20, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |