January 20th, 2008

Giuliani breaks '11th Commandment'

Giuliani is getting tough on his rivals.
Giuliani is getting tough on his rivals.

(CNN) – As the Republican race was focused on South Carolina and Nevada Saturday, Rudy Giuliani ended his longstanding observance of the famous "11th Commandment"– attacking his main rivals as he prepares for the make-or-break Florida primary in just 10 days.

He has often referred to the 11th commandment, first coined by Ronald Reagan: “Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican.”

The former New York City mayor, who has long said he would only strike at other Republicans in defense of his own record, hit Nevada victor Mitt Romney and South Carolina winner John McCain over taxes.

“I’m running against good men, some very fine, all of whom have very good motivation. But there’s a big difference,” said Giuliani at a Florida campaign event Saturday.

“I supported the Bush tax cuts. John McCain voted with the Democrats against the Bush tax cuts - twice. And Mitt Romney did not, clearly, support the Bush tax cuts.”

Giuliani has avoided the race’s early contests, and is counting on a strong showing in Florida’s January 29 primary to revive his flagging campaign. On Sunday, he will begin a two-day bus tour across the state.

The former mayor is currently locked in a four-way battle for first place in the state with Romney, McCain and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Farrell, Houston, Tx

What does Giuliani and his wife know about commandments. Well, I guess that gives him the right to make up his own commandments.

January 21, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. chelle

Have you seen his latest ad? Yet again 9/11!!!! You would think he singlehandily did it all himself. Ask some tough questions of Mr. Preparedness! Ask him about the radios the firefighters had that trapped them in the towers because they were cheap (purchased without a bid from a pal of good ol' Rudy's). That's being prepared??? What are you going to send your soldiers out that way too?
    Ask why it is that the firefighters union (IAFF) will have nothing to do with him – in fact he is despised by them.

January 21, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. enomisa

I for one am getting MIGHTY bored already of the Obama platform of pretty rhetoric. Where is the substance? I would rather see someone win the election who has tried to make change and failed ( Remember Hillary's avant-garde Health Care Plan?) than who talks up a good line. I want someone who WILL act on behalf of the people- even when under strong opposition. Unfortunately a depressed people respond to flowery utopian rhetoric. Wake up America. The time for change HAS come- do the work and walk the walk- otherwise stop the talk.

January 21, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. patty,fl

The only Republican candidate that can possibly beat Hillary or Obama is Rudy Giuliani...isn't it obvious.

January 22, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  5. Deb

Rudy Giuliani is for Rudy Giuliani... How else can you explain ignoring the other states. We are a whole country not just one state. I don't agree with Romney either. He flip flops. One day it is one thing, the next day it is something else. Tax Cuts with gigantic spending is not good for our country. McCain is correct there. Romney says what everyone wants to hear. If he was so concerned about his native state's unemployment, why didn't he bring his VAST empire to help them out to make new jobs and hire some of his kinsmen? (Instead he is spending it on his campaign). His concern is so fake. Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul, he is another nut!!! It still baffles me how he lends his name to a paper yet knows not its content. Give me a break. I read the things that have my name on them. Huckabee, oh I definately don't want someone that is so self righteous as that man. He would probably baptise Bin Laden and forgive all his sins! I am definately going to vote for the person that tells me the truth, even if it stings. I'd rather have honesty and know what was ahead then a smiling, steal my purse, guy that says what he thinks I wanna hear.

Go McCain.... He is totally honest and genuine.

January 24, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  6. Deb

Romney knows nothing about foreign policy and is so self inflated that I worry more for our sons and daughters when he explodes with self importance. He gives me the impression that he is "in it" for himself and his interests rather than our country. I have a son in the armed services and I trust McCain with his future because he has been one of them. He knows the horror of war, but he also knows that these men and women are proud of what they do for our country, and want to come home, when they finish their job, with pride, honor, and dignity. This has been told to me by the soldiers that VOLUNTEER to protect us here and abroad.

January 24, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |