January 20th, 2008

Giuliani breaks '11th Commandment'

Giuliani is getting tough on his rivals.
Giuliani is getting tough on his rivals.

(CNN) – As the Republican race was focused on South Carolina and Nevada Saturday, Rudy Giuliani ended his longstanding observance of the famous "11th Commandment"– attacking his main rivals as he prepares for the make-or-break Florida primary in just 10 days.

He has often referred to the 11th commandment, first coined by Ronald Reagan: “Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican.”

The former New York City mayor, who has long said he would only strike at other Republicans in defense of his own record, hit Nevada victor Mitt Romney and South Carolina winner John McCain over taxes.

“I’m running against good men, some very fine, all of whom have very good motivation. But there’s a big difference,” said Giuliani at a Florida campaign event Saturday.

“I supported the Bush tax cuts. John McCain voted with the Democrats against the Bush tax cuts - twice. And Mitt Romney did not, clearly, support the Bush tax cuts.”

Giuliani has avoided the race’s early contests, and is counting on a strong showing in Florida’s January 29 primary to revive his flagging campaign. On Sunday, he will begin a two-day bus tour across the state.

The former mayor is currently locked in a four-way battle for first place in the state with Romney, McCain and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. heartlight 3, Maui, HI

Isn't it pretty obvious that the "trickle down" tax cut strategy has not worked out very well? Each time we have done that we have ended up with a lousy economy and larger debt, and arguably not much real net gain in jobs. People of a Republican mindset seem to be so enamored of the concept of "tax cuts", that they don't notice that decreasing the revenue stream most often does not increase profit. I know the idea is that if taxes are cut for corporations and rich people, they will reinvest it and create a better economy for everyone. Has no one paid attention to the studies that show that tax cuts do not recover the revenue that is lost? I have seen reports that say the recovery is anywhere from 12% to 50%. How can anyone think that if you reduce the revenue 100% and recover 50% of that you are ending up with more money? I hear many Republicans saying that cutting taxes has helped the economy, but no matter how many times I hear it, I still don't see that it is actually true. Not in my life or the life of anyone I know. (However I don't know many of the extremely wealthy. They seem to think it works for them.) We need to face it as a country that it takes money to run a country this size and taxes are the means of acquiring that money. Having high taxes on the lower income people, and low taxes on the higher income people, does not seem to be the most equitable and efficient way to generate the needed revenue.

January 20, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  2. San Francisco, California

Can't think with all the noise these candidates are making? Here's the short version of it...

-Hillary: vote for me so I can take revenge on the republicans for Bill.
    -Obama: vote for me because I talk good... I'll figured out how to do things later.
    -Huckabee: vote for me if you love god....I'm sure I'll be ok as president.
    -Mccain: vote for me so I can win Iraq and rid myself of this vietnam defeat.
    -Romney: vote for me cuz I want it really really really bad..look at all the $ I spent.
    -Ron: vote for me so I can rebel against all that's good and bad in the past 100 yrs

-Rudy: vote for me so we can turn this country around. I've done it and I'm confident I can do it again. Don't just listen, question the success I have and my track records on improving the lives of millions. Ask me the what, how and why so you can be informed of the changes I am proposing....bla bla bla...I hope all the substance, specifics and content are not too boring for ya'll.

It is so obvious who the best candidate is.......no one need to hit me over the head with soundbites....i've made my choice.

January 20, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

All intelligent voters would look into Mitt Romney.

Ditch the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" rhetoric you've gotten from Huckabee that boasts blatent judgment and character bashing from Mike and his sheep.

Mitt has solid plans for our economy, our safety, our borders, private health insurance for all citizens (state by state) and many other issues facing our entire country.

He is able to reach across party lines. He's DONE that.

His successes at turning around huge suffering entities is truly impressive. Including the International Olympic games. He's DONE that.

Mitt Romney has the integrity that we deserve in our President. This integrity and Mitt's ability to communicate and work well with people of others countries can also help us regain our positive reputation around the world.

The Romney family is happy and strong (consists of 1 wife – imagine that! – & 5 grown sons). Don't kid yourself, this does speak loudly of a person's character.

If you're even quasi-intelligent, you'd look at Mitt Romney with open eyes/mind/ears and listen to his message of changing our broken government.

Mitt can do it, you can help by supporting Romney for President.

January 20, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  4. Anonymous, Upstate, NY

>>>right now he has NY, NJ, Conn and probably California in the bag

Um, no.

According to most recent polls, Rudy is:

down by 15% in CA (Rasmussen, 1/17)
    down by 23% in CT (Hartford Courant, released 1/20)
    down by 2% in NJ (Rasmussen, 1/17)
    up by only 3% (margin of error of 4.6%) in his home state of NY (Survey USA 1/11).....

Nice "strategy".

January 20, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. K. Wilkinson

Hey, here's an idea! Let’s find a guy who is REALLY smart and REALLY good with numbers. He'd have to be highly educated, maybe even the top in his class at one of our nations finest schools.

Someone with YEARS of business sense who also understands and has competed in the international business community extremely well.

Let’s find a guy with a proven record of organizational success!

Let’s make sure he is a man of character that would represent us all well, a guy that is family oriented, patriotic and pro military.

Then let's make him president!!!

Hey wait a minute– That sounds like Romney!

January 20, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. alombard

this man is a disater I am glad people are seeing what he is as a New Yorker and a veteran isaw through him we lost a great police commisoner Bratton and had to settled for a friend of Guliano as a police Kerick who buy passed a lot of great Candites for police commisioner because he was a friend of the mayor also he would let one school chancellor after another and forced them out It took Bloomberg to come in and clean up hiss mess Have a great retirent inForida

January 20, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Jenny, Paxton, MA

Hey, Jared in Korea. How's your peddling mormon nonsense to Koreans going? The shifty-eyed Mitt is your mentor, eh? You have your match there. Try and beat the Moonies.... lol

January 20, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. Adam B

Wait, I thought the 11th Commandment was to bring up 9/11 in any possible context...

January 20, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Democratvi

Breaking a Commendment. yeah I wouldn't trust any guy like that either. However I wouldn't trust I guy that's been married so much either. He may be a golddigger.
    However I think Hillary May win Florida Unless it's rigged again like last time.

January 20, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. Ed L

still waiting for my share of the "trickle down" from the Reagan Era.... all the GOP does is siphon money from the middle class and send it to Corporate America... GOP is a total scam... Look what Bushco has spent in its phony wars: TRILLIONS of dollars ... where'd THAT money go? Halliburton, the military, and the oil corporations (all netting record profits).... all this while the middle and working classes go down the toilet...
    and now Bushco is yammering about $800 tax rebates.... OOOOO that'll make up for the TRILLIONS handed away for his phony wars.....

January 20, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Bernice

WHO WANTS A PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY WHO HAVE SIX MARRIAGES BETWEEN THEM?

IF GIULIANI AND HIS FORMER MISTRESS NOW WIFE WERE TO GO TO THE WHITE HOUSE, WE JUST MIGHT SEE THE FIRST DIVORCE INT HE WHITE HOUSE SINCE AT LEAST ONE OF THEM WOULD BE DUE FOR A MATE CHANGE BY THAT TIME.

VOTE HUCKABEE OR RON PAUL.

January 20, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. Mark, Tampa, FL

McCain disgusts me. He is thoroughly a pro-war liberal. He lacks the temperament to be a leader. He campaigns as a "straight-talker", but has flip-flopped more than anyone- on tax cuts, on illegal immigration, on the war, the list goes on. Check out http://therealmccain.com/

Romney is the only real conservative.

January 20, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  13. Miami Florida

Rudy all the way in Miami! Rudy will transform the republican party one step at a time. I am a moderate republican and have so much in common with the GOP but on social issues..there are disagreements. Rudy fits the bill of what the GOP is transforming into. The way I look at it, the Dems are becoming more conservative and the GOP are becoming more moderate. All of us will end up in the middle where we all belong. Rudy doesn't have the hair, the tears, the speech memorized, the soundbites or the rherorics mastered like the others. But he's got the right experience with a no-nonsense attitudes to all (dems and republicans) in getting things done. This country needs someone who approach the presidency with goals and I do believe he has what it takes. Oh, he does have great commercials....best out there by far. I have been enjoying them very much. sincerely, young cuban.

January 20, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  14. Young Orlando FL

wow, another someone from florida. Hi young cuban, I"m young Orlando also supporting Rudy. I flip flop for awhile there cuz Rudy didn't participated much so Huckabee and HIllary and Obama got my attention. However, I like what I hear from Rudy regarding taxes. I've paid more tax at this young age then I feel I should have. With a raise coming soon, I will end up making less money cuz i'm now in another tax bracket! What the Heck! This country is taxing us to death. Why can't we keep some of it and invest or start a small business or something. This way, maybe someday I can hire people to work for me and provide jobs to the economy. This idea makes sense to me.

January 20, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  15. David, Oregon City

Clearly, Fred Thompson split the ticket and allowed McCain to win as Ross Perot split the ticket on H Bush allowing Billy C. to win in South Carolina.

Due to what I now call the “Fred Thompson chicken block” on Huckabee, Thompson allowed McCain to win S.C. with an otherwise 2nd place vote count. McCain’s win placed Huckabee supporters with greater national responsibility than before to also correct the Fred Thompson “Vote Block” mayhem of South Carolina and go forward to win Florida. Now that the GOP has started eating their own for sport and the most electable candidates are defending themselves from the “no plan” “no accomplishment” competitors the last one standing may be the weakest GOP candidates.

Remember, Bob Dole and George H. Bush got hamburger because the young voters would not or can not associate with them and the same goes for McCain, not to mention the other bones in his closet. That means the democrats will win!

Not only does Huckabee need your strong support now, America needs your support of Huckabee more than ever! Don’t let the elite media get you down, that is their job. Be strong for Mike Huckabee, he needs to see our support and know we are behind him through good time and bad.

GO Huckabee! Take the fight to the “chicken blockers”!

January 20, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  16. kalliope

Don't you agree that if Hillary is the Democratic candidate, this will unite the splintered Republicans? Hillary Clinton "UNIFIER of the REPUBLICANS", something she can be proud of! The best bet the Republicans have for holding onto the White House in 2008 is a CLINTON candidacy. Nothing like uniting against the Clintons to shore up the ol' tribe!

January 20, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  17. Lois

Out of 300 million people, THIS IS THE BEST WE CAN DO?? On both sides! Rudy was only a MAYOR, he didn't prevent 9/11, he handled his job as MAYOR, handled it well, BUT an expert on terror that does NOT make. He didn't campaign that much because 1) So arrogant and confident of a win, that he thanks he can ignore half the country 2) He is as tired of saying 9/11 as we are hearing it, and had to take a rest OR 3) He is just plain lazy. Rudy retire while you are in Florida. Take it easy. Have a great life.

January 20, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. Kurt

The man has become, at least in my mind, a non-entity in this race. He couldn't even beat Ron Paul in NC or Nevada, and Ron Paul is a loony wingnut. It would seem that he's played out his 9/11 references, since he really has nothing else to run on.

January 20, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  19. francis

i hear reports that the issue in las vegas was settled by drawing the high card
    to declare the winner. is that report correct or was it a joke because it ended in a battle and a card was drawn ? i was told that cnn made that statement and yet it was not reported by anyone else. sounds funny ? some one please reply .

January 20, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  20. Jerad

Rudy was a great NYC mayor, but he needs to leave it at that. His campaign strategy is going to earn him a spot on the next episode of "What The Heck Were You Thinking." After he loses Florida he will need to step aside. McCain is too old and way too liberal. Huckabee is a joke and can't survive outside the bible-belt. He needs to save it for the pulpit. It is time we actually declare the guy with the most wins, most total votes, most money raised, and most delegates as the frontrunner.

Go Mitt!!!

January 20, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  21. Jerad

Jenny, Paxton, MA –

What is your comment supposed to mean exactly? Jared in Korea was voicing his support for a candidate. This is a CNN page where we discuss the 2008 elections and the people running for office. Save your religious bigotry for a different site.

Moderator, what about editting "comments for clarity or to keep out questionable or off-topic material?"

January 20, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  22. lendle lowdonn

Rudy is on the way over and out. Runt Paul and huck are two good choices.

January 21, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  23. lendle lowdonn

PS Romney is NOT A CONSERVATIVE. CHECK OUT HIS RECORD AS GOV OF MASSACHUSSETTS

SO, sorry mark tampa, you are buying the new improved two for one face of romney

January 21, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  24. charlotte

You can't blame Rudy for spending so much time in Florida, it's colder then cold up north. Maybe he's looking for a retirement home there. What did he do on 9/11 that any mayor of any city would not have done? I would hate for my claim to fame to be based on a disaster.

January 21, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  25. Aaron, Sterling VA

In case you missed it, Ron Paul came in 2nd in Nevada.

January 21, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |