January 20th, 2008

Pop star Usher to appear at Obama rally

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Few people can say they've graced more magazine covers than Barack Obama - but Usher is certainly one of them. Now they'll share the same photo-op.

CNN has learned that the R&B superstar and heart-throb will appear on the same stage with Obama at a rally in Orangeburg on Tuesday evening.

An Obama spokesman said Usher won't perform at the event, but will speak about why he is supporting the Illinois senator.

It's not the first time the singer has stumped for Obama. Usher first appeared at a rally for the senator in Atlanta back in September of last year.

"I stand here representing our youth," he said at the time, reading from index cards. "If you want change you have to get involved."

In light of the Obama campaign's efforts to court young African-American voters here, the event's location at South Carolina State University is not insignificant: it's the state's largest and oldest historically black university.

Actress Kerry Washington, who starred in films like "Ray" and "The Last King of Scotland," will also be at the event.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. LISTEN

Larry Buchas, New Britain, CT January 21, 2008 12:10 pm ET

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. Most of us are not Hillary haters. She is nery knowledgeable and can lend to improving many areas. But we can sense a worse scenario if she wins the Democratic nomination.

1. Her electability is questionable given her negative ratings.

2. If Hillary gets the nomination; a third party candidate (probably Bloomberg) will enter the presidential race and siphon votes.

3. If Hillary gets the nomination; two important developments regarding Democratic voters are Afro-Americans and younger voters will become disenchanted and not show up election day.

4. If Hillary gets the nomination; Republicans and Independents will vote for either the Republican or a third party candidate.

5. If Hillary gets the nomination; Republicans will flock to the polls to not only vote against her but also vote for Republicans for the House and Senate.

Hillary will only empower anti-Democratic voting blocs. We can't afford that.
    Obama's message is to unite. Hillary cannot match his appeal in

January 21, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. Albo

I understand completely why blacks in America are reluctant to support Hillary. Just ask the folks in her New York district how much she has really done for them. And, in regards to John Edwards, they probably get that unmistakeable feel of sleeze every time this charlatan opens his mouth. Thus, they are ready to support a candidate with very little accomplishment to show during his tenure in the senate. And, sure, to some his being black and competitve is a bonus!

January 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Ginny CA

Obama is a scared, half-black-half-white guy who is willing to resort to anything to become president of our nation. He's aspiring to the highest office in the land and is clearly in over his head. His lack of sustance shows in every debate when he struggles and stammers while trying to answer a question before falling back on his tired old "hope-change-dreams-bring the American people into the process-yes we can" message. I was listening to him earlier and, Lordy, that message (in all of its variations) has become old, boring, and trite. I can't believe he thinks he'll be able to ride that all the way to the White House. No matter how many celebrities he drags up on the stage to support him, if his message doesn't resound with the voters, he's toast.

January 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. mgleaso3

As a 50 year old white woman, living in a state known for it's lack of diversity, I can not imagine voting for anyone but Barack Obama. His speech at Dr. King's church in Atlanta sent chills down my spine. I will vote for him because, as he says, it is time to vote our hopes, not our fears. The Clintons represent the status quo, in my book – the political sleaze factor, calling in favors, etc. Last I heard, we are electing a President, not a "Presidential Tag-team" and Hillary has no real experience of her own – she's just riding on Bill's coat-tails.

If Mr. Obama were the face of America to the world, our standing would immediately do a 180. When was the last time the U.S. was not represented by a white male? Try "NEVER"! Some would argue that Hillary also would be a change from that tradition, but not in the same way. My son recently returned from a 3 week trip to Europe and many people questioned him about how it is that we go around the world touting democracy, yet it's apparent (with the election of Bush, Clinton, Bush and now, potentially Clinton) that the vote of the people means nothing – it's the party machine that calls the shots. I, for one, will cast my ballot for Mr. Obama and try to prove them wrong!

January 21, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  5. Wendy J.

I guess if you dont support Oboma you dont get air time .America is the one place you would think you would get an even playing field.What a joke.The media is so against Hillary Clinton.This is why america is in so much trouble becouse the media dictates what will happen with votes.Oboma is nothing more then another
    Rev.Al Sharpton.Another talker.We need a doer.

Wendy
    GO HILLARY

January 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. mgleaso3

The most absurd thing I've heard yet in the "race" debate (which was churned up by the Clinton's in an effort to denigrate those who happen to be black and support Mr. Obama) was this:

From former Atlanta mayor Andrew Young on why he supports Hillary Clinton – "For one thing, she's got Bill. And Bill is every bit as black as Barack Obama".

Now, just how absurd is that?!

It's pathetic – given how often Mr. Obama speaks of unity amongst all Americans that someone would stoop that low.

Everyone who shares my concern with the way this country has become needs to get out and cast their vote for the one candidate who is not a "Washington Insider".

January 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. Omar Norfolk

Hillary supporters can stay in denial if they want to, BUT, it is a FACT that she could not win in a general election against a republican.

I am an independent that leans to the right. I dont know of ONE Indie or moderate republican that would vote for her and she will DEFINITELY need the indie and mod repub vote to win.

Let me say, the GOP is PRAYING that she wins as the Dem candidate! They know it is their only chance of winning running against her.

If Dems want even a slight chance of winning the Presidency they had better smell the coffee and select Barack as their candidate, FACT!

January 21, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. 1971guy

look at nevada...85 percent blacks voted obama only 35 percent whites and less hispanics the tide has changed b/c obama is a divider...

January 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  9. White Obama Supporter

Some of the people that are posting here are crazy! It's not about the country to you, it's about the drama that you are missing from your Jerry Springer lives!

Please educate yourselves. Watch the debates. Don't believe everything in the news and on the Internet. The candidates don't want this to be about race. They want to be elected on their positions on the issues. Obama is not dividing the races. He is the candidate about unity. The media is just trying to find a story, so they pick the path of least resistance...race, gender, etc. Read between the lines and make real judgements. What I have read on this web-site should make people ashamed of themselves. What happened to critical thinking? Oh...that's right...NCLB.

January 21, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  10. TJS

WEll, here is an independent that will vote for her and believe me after last nights debate there are a whole lot more. Obama is just not ready to handle the pressure and it showed clearly last night. I was hoping for the democrats to give me someone to vote for in case McCain makes the republican ticket. Obama needs more experience. I think a lot of people want to make history this election. Our nation is in too much trouble to make a statement now. We need help. Change from the last 8 years of hidden agenda and lies. Someone made a comment that they would not vote for Hillary because of the way she dresses. I hope you are not for real. I have teenagers and I hear how some of their friends are basing their vote and it goes right along with that kind of idea. We know all the candidates lie that is nothing new. So everyone will just research their candidates and not be so determined to be against someone until they fully research background on the issues that are so important to our nation now. Maybe we all should just think as our wonderful President Bush said that everything will be okay. Mabe for the rich not for what is left of the middle class, it is disappearing quickly. Please stop with the race, gender, hatred and make informed choices by looking into all the candidates we have running.

January 22, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  11. Fastpitch1920

South Carolina State University!!! Lovin it!! Let's go Obama!!

January 22, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Sarah

USHER DID NOT PERFORM!!!!!

January 22, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. Rick, Maryland

Someone said Hillery hate's cat's, excuse me, what type of animal was
    Sock's, wasn't he a TOM CAT.

January 24, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. Voting for Clinton is Dumb

Why would anyone vote for Clinton who is tied to so much political scandal ? Anyone who says she has the experience needs to explain her experience for 35yrs because she can't Why are her records sealed ? Something is wrong with this !!! Don't be dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Voting for Clinton is Dumb

Vincent how do you this for sure ??? It may be they never felt any were worthy of being president. It clearly shows people are voting for Hillary because of the Clinton name. If they do their research you'll find out she's not experienced enough to lead this country !!!

January 25, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. llew

I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN THE PAST. I WANT TO SEE THE FUTURE.
    OBAMA "08".

February 4, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  17. llew

IF HILLARY WAS NEVER MARRIED TO BILL, THERE WOULD BE NO CONTEST.
    TELL HILLARY TO STOP RUNNING ON HER HUSBANDS' BACK . I MEAN RECORD.

February 4, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. nessa

Okay so I must admit I was torn for a while but in the end decided to follow my heart and voted for Obama and am very confident I made the right choice. I can honestly say though that I have to disagree with some and say I do not believe Clinton is incapable of doing the job nor do I believe she is a bad candidate... I just happen to believe Obama can do the job BETTER and is the BEST candidate to represent our party come the November election... I pray Obama wins the primaries however I do not disagree with Clinton enough to vote Republican or not vote at all and I hope most of you will agree... Obama over all BUT if things dont go our way in the primaries i think Senator Obama would agree that Clinton would be a far better choice over the Republicans!!!

OBAMA '08