January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Hillary speaks partisan language

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Hillary Clinton constantly speaks in partisan terms - that she knows how to "fight" the Republicans - she's been doing it "for 16 years." It's very different from Obama, and it's a tone that is very appealing to many partisan Democrats that make up the majority of primary voters - but how will it play in a general election match up?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. PGoodsen

This coming election is the MOST IMPORTANT one of all time. Make your vote count! Tonight's debate was excellent by all 3 candidates. John McCain will be the GOP one to beat. I am a black female, age 64, and remember the Rosa Parks issue and JFK and Dr King. I believe a change in the white house to a female will be most beneficial to our Country, as exPresident Clinton can be called on at any time for his expert advice. I feel John Edwards would make an excellent VP. We need a person who can beat McCain! Hillary gets my vote in a great debate.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  2. Darin

Clinton got 49% of the Michign vote last week 51% of Dems went out in the cold to vote aginst her, becouse Obama and Edwards were not on the ballot. Anyone that thinks she will win must be hoping the mayor of New York will inter the race.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  3. M

The upcoming national election will be significantly impacted by independent and Republican voters who have become disenchanted with their party due to the "Bush era." A leader who wants a unified country who respects and wants to win the vote of every single person in this country, regardless of whether they are hard leaning Democrats or Republicans will be a candidate that can seriously win a national election. Obama '08!

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. Charlie

I feel that am your average conservative voter facing an interesting delima this year. I am strongly motivated, and intent, on voting the Democratic agenda this year. I am tired of the Bush years, and I am equally adverse to returning to the Clinton years. As a result, I now see myself as someone who now represents 2 votes this year. If Clinton is the Democrative nominee, I vote Republican regardless of the candidate. If Clinton is not the nominee, I vote Democratic, regardless of who is the candidate. As I see it, that means I represent 2 votes against Clinton.

Am I alone?

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. TOTBS

I would vote republican before I vote for Hillary.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. Debbie

Concerning the earlier response about a Republican voting for a Democrat. I used to be a Republican. Unfortunately I have seen the repercussions of the current administration's policies and the effects of the "not to be named" recession. So I am looking very closely at the Democrats. I was however disappointed in how several times they were fighting each other and not truly debating the issues.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  7. Hank

James Brown - you are spot on. Except that I will add that I also think she's dividing the party!

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. frank walsh

Once again Clinton plays the political game. Talk about the issues in a positive way. she continues to play the republican game of smear and mud slinging at everyone around her. Will she give a clear answer on what role Bill will play in her administration? Will she release her documents showing what she did as first lady that rates as a political accomplisment. How does she expect to win an election when 40-45% of the people have stated that they will never vote for her.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Brad

I disagree that republicans wouldn't vote for a democrat. This is hands down the election where republicans would vote for a democrat if they are the best candidate (this is coming from a man who has voted republian his entire life and is now confidently standing behind Obama).

It seems desperate that Hillary continues to attack Barack. She would win points with me, but I won't vote for someone who is just bashing her nearest competitor. Focus on what is pertinent and stop putting political spin on your competitors, I say.

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Mitt Snyder

CNN loves Clinton

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. Lauren

Amen James Brown. She is no different than Karl Rove in that she divides in order to gain power.

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. Carol (Independent)

Hillary Clinton does one thing better then anyone else………….she DIVIDES the country. (Sic)

It would be another four years just like the Bush administration, partisanship so bad that nothing will get done during another administration.

I was so excited at the beginning when she announced she was going to run. But her campaign along with the Bills co-campaign of getting back in the Whitehouse and the rovian type tactics has completely eroded my respect for her.

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  13. mary

Any chance Ms. Clinton had for my vote was lost during tonight's debate. I have zero patience for "cheap shots" and what I witnessed tonight were many thrown by her towards Senator Obama. I want to hear FACTS! I want to hear ISSUES! I do not want to hear distorted representations of another candidate's voting record! I do not want to hear comments taken out of context! Her behavior during tonight's debate was a disgrace. If she is elected my expectation would be that she tells the American people similar distorted truths whenever she needs their support.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  14. Jay, Los Angeles, CA

I dont believe that Hillary is, will be or use partisanship as her foremost strategy for effecting change. This is where she is fundamentally different from Obama. Hillary will first fight unilaterally to push her change agenda and when it doesnt pass, she will retract and seek a concensus. But Barack Obama will in his foremost steps use CONSENSUS to pursue his change agenda.

Overall, there is not much difference (apart from the clinton's mudslinging of obama) between Hillary and Obama. Matter of fact, they are saying the same thing and have a similar political record.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  15. david

Hillary is the consumate career politician and her rhetoric speaks directly against her record. Her husband's presidency (which she attempts to claim as experience) did nothing but weaken this country and bring corruption to an all time new high. We do need changes but at the expense of national security? Is this where we want to go next?

Bring on McCain – I'll take his straight talk and record of honest service over a manipulative win at all costs liar (married to a liar) only to shred the documents later!

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  16. Breck

There is no quit in Hillary! Thats for sure. The Democrats need a fighter going into the General Elections. Republicans will pull out every dirty trick, spear tactic, lies, and swift boating attacks known to mankind.

Hillary will take them on every step of the way. Point is, the Democrats need to support and fight every step of the way to ensure another Bush lite or worse Republican does not get back into the White House. The U.S. nor the world can afford nor endure another Republican President in the White House.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  17. Emeka Baltimore, Md

Obama is apparently alenating the democratic base by trying to appease the republicans at this stage of the election. this strategy might hurt him.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  18. Sharifa

Obama did great tonight. He can bring people together! And he can be a great President.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  19. Sandy

Hillary Clinton to me has shown that she does have compassion for the people of this country and I do believe she is sincere on getting our troops out of Iraq and back home. It may take a little longer than what EACH of the candidates claim they can do it in, but I do believe the Democrats are the ones that can get our troops back. Hillary is for medical reform which our country needs badly. She is also focused on making things better for the poor and the middle class of this country. Out of all of the Democratic candidates Hillary has the experience and the drive. I believe that Obama also has compassion for the people of this country, but with him, I wonder what will happen with the middle class. And John Edwards, the only reason he is in there is to get the votes that would be taken from Hillary or Obama. Hillary has the political experience behind her and I believe that she would stand firm and do what is right for our Country.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  20. Karen

Hillary has the experience, the chirisma, the ability to gain the trust of ALL Americans, and has proven (and will continue to prove), that she can work with the Republicans and bring about positive change.
    If Obama were President, his inexperience would put our country at a disadvantage while we would be negatively positioned to allow him time for his learning curve…

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  21. John

This argument about experience is really getting old. If I am a corporate CEO and my wife has attended functions with me, met key people and had discussions with me does not make her qualified to takeover as CEO of my company. It would be the same if she were CEO and I were her spouse. I need to know what she did other than fail getting healthcare done. If she is going to talk about "our record" then own that on your record you signed NAFTA that let to taking thousands of jobs out of this country. If you want to take the good from the Clinton years, you have to also own the bad because the Republicans will use it against you.

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  22. Christian, Tampa FL

After this debate, I am much closer to declaring that I will not vote for Hillary Clinton if she wins the nomination. The War in Iraq and a few other issues may force me to cast a begrudged ballot hypothetically, but I was appalled by some of her comments and attacks during this debate.

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  23. Jeanette

I think Hillary speaks very intelligently and does not stumble on her words. She speaks with conviction...not stuttering and stepping on her words like Obama. I think she has the most experience, already has a good relationships with foreign dignitaries. I think she has the American values in mind and has the ability to push for these values to come to fruitiion. I hope that Oprah followers do NOT follow her to the polls!

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  24. Becky Montgomery

I for one, will vote Republican if Hillary is the Democratic nominee, and I know many others who have said the same. I am an independent voter and will NOT vote for Hillary.

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  25. Janet Little

If anyone thinks that these debates are rough just wait until the campaign before the general election. Hillary makes no apology for being partisan. She knows the history of ideas she represents and makes no apology.

January 21, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |