January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Hillary speaks partisan language

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Hillary Clinton constantly speaks in partisan terms - that she knows how to "fight" the Republicans - she's been doing it "for 16 years." It's very different from Obama, and it's a tone that is very appealing to many partisan Democrats that make up the majority of primary voters - but how will it play in a general election match up?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Verna

I am a Republican, myself and my friends are for Obama. The one's that are not are continuing on their own to watch and digest the material and debates and even they can not say they are not going to support and vote for Obama.

It is really something to watch my friends, repubs, dialog on Obama, and we are all out for him for our kids, and grandkids.

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  2. Grant

Nik T... were you one of the same people who was angry because independents and REPUBLICANS have been able to vote for Obama in some primaries?

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. Brian

When cornered by Edwards about special interests, Hillary sidestepped and backpedaled.

I just don't trust this woman. I don't know why, but I don't.

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  4. James

Oh my... The republicans want nothing more than to run against Billary... Let us not forget the right wing radio talkers are chomping at the bit... Dick Morris has produced a movie that can't be advertised on television about Billary. Go to You Tube to see the trailers.

It's time to MOVE ON!!!!!! Enough of the Bush's and Clintons

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  5. Lou Lamperti

If you are the nominee of your party!
    Would you consider naming your Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Homeland Security, Prior to the General Election?

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  6. Alex

James is so right! If we want to bring in independents we can't have Hillary. I really like her, but she will divide, not unite.

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  7. Michelle

Exactly. Clinton is too divisive. Way too divisive.

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  8. R. Mac

Hillary likes to talk about her 35 years of experience, yet she only found her voice a few weeks ago, so what value does her 35 years of experience have? Whose voice have we heard for the past 35 years?

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  9. Roger Berlind

That's a good point, Bill. I started out favoring Clinton over Obama (although my first choice was Richardson). I originally felt that Obama was kind of young to be running for President and wanted someone with more experience. However, over the past few weeks, I've become more and more concerned about the combativeness of the Clintons and have begun to worry that Hilary and Bill Clinton cannot let go of the (largely justifiable) anger they feel about the attacks they endured during Bill Clinton's presidency and cannot get away from reacting very negatively to any criticism. I've started leaning more toward Obama because he does come across as less combative and better able to deal with political opposition. I think Obama might be better able to work with both Democrats and Republicans in Congress and finally get us away from the polarization and gridlock that has polarized Washington for at least the past 8 years.

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  10. Obama 08

Where are the Republicans? No debates?

January 21, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  11. JAE

She's smart but she's alienating half the country with all this talk of "taking on" the Republicans for 16 years. She will NEVER reach across the aisles, therefore she can't get elected. Plus, we've had a Bush or Clinton president for the last 20 years.... Game over.

12. Marie

immigration it doesn't exist for the democrats or cnn. joined at the hip!

13. Andy

Hilary is getting a bit of her bearing. However, she is nowhere presidential! She appears as self-centered as she probably is- that's obvious in her sentences.-she can't speak a sentence without an "I" in it!

She may win this primary b/c of Bil Clinton's political prowes. But, she does not really appear to deserve it!

14. Barb

Why didn't Hillary answer the question about her husband overshadowing her by his campaigning?

15. jorge999

I am a very partisan democrat life-long but have been nauseated by the Clintons Rovian tactics ie. exploiting race.

If Hillary gets the nomination I'll vote (reluctantly) for McCain.

16. Mike

People need to move past revenge and let this country get out of this battle of attrition between Republicans and Democrats...we've got real issues, real world problems to figure out. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and get the job done.

17. cdsw

Okay, is it just me... Is it fair to say, I can be a great doctor because I was married to one? I can be a great lawyer because I was married to one? I don't follow her experience claims. 35 years? 16 years? Can someone help me?

18. Richard

This is getting ugly. They really need to stop fighting and focus on the corporate snake republicans.

19. Diana Penix

Mr. Edwards needs to learn when to shut up. He is rude and will not let anyone answer his questions without butting in. He also seems too smyg.

20. Marcia, Erie, Colorado

Don't say Hillary is the only one who can win! Look at the electability polls. Edwards matches best against any Repub candidate, Obama does nearly as well. Hillary loses to McCain right down the line. She MUST NOT be the candidate.

21. RD Murray

I keep hearing the candidates talk about beating the republicans, I remember their cries about how every vote should count, Why has this changed. What about Florida. I'm a Dem. but I refuse to vote for any of them. If Florida is important to any of them now, maybe they should stay out of it when the general elections start

22. Tom Steele

How does anyone begin to suggest that Hillary has so many years of experience? She is only in her second term as a Senator....never having served in a postion won on her own merits and skills.

23. marky

Edwards and Obama will be eaten alive by the republicans. They cheated and stole the election before Gore knew what hit him and swiftboated Kerry and sunk him in 2 months. The Clintons can fight those kind of tactics.

January 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. Elysia

interesting you should say that, as Obama just shot his "uniter not a divider" argument in the foot on that whole rant about how we need to get the 60% and take control back from the Republicans who have "made a bad name for their party" etc and so forth. that didn't sound like uniting, he's completely playing the 2 party system for his advantage because it's clear that people are leaning more towards Hillary, despite the fact that she may be slightly more partisan... but CHANGE means you have to be that way. I'm sick of his weaseling. the more I watch him talk the slimier he looks. ENOUGH already!

January 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  25. April C

This is the thing that is most troubling about Hilary. She is divisive. Obama is Uniting. He has the ability to draw people from all races, faith and frm Both Parties to vote for him in NOvember. If it is truly the goal to defeat the Repoublicans as Hilary seems to be urging then Obama is actually the best and most probable candidate to do so. Obama is the only one that can beat the Republican in November. I didn't even mention Edwards because he doesn't even stand a chance.

January 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |