January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Hillary speaks partisan language

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Hillary Clinton constantly speaks in partisan terms - that she knows how to "fight" the Republicans - she's been doing it "for 16 years." It's very different from Obama, and it's a tone that is very appealing to many partisan Democrats that make up the majority of primary voters - but how will it play in a general election match up?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Adrien

I am appalled at this 'Christian blah blah blah' from ALL the candidates – As a practicing American Jew – I find this entire discussion frightening – we are a country in which our founding fathers made sure that there was a separation of church & state – who is making sure that these laws are met? This conversation of who is more Christian than the other candidate is unacceptable to me and my family – and all my Jewish friends – Republican AND Democrat alike.

2. Jeff

I don't get the "Day one" thing. She is a junior Senator. Give me a break. I like that they have crowned McCain the nominee though. Mac is back!

3. a d

Hillary Clinton is demonstrating a key difference between herself and the other 2 candidates: she has (1) a tangible plan of action to address the issues at hand and (2) has a degree of professionalism far beyond her competitors. Senator Obama fails to convey a plan or a tangible agenda. Senator Edwards is a modern-day demogague, presenting nothing new. I wonder how long it will take people to realize that Obama has nothing to offer the American public other than rhetoric and emotional cries for unsubstantiated "change".

4. judith

hillary is proving to be a divider. go edwards

5. suz

She's simply been around long enough to know you can't make change without a fight–particularly in DC. There are strong anti-change forces there that may not be charmed by Barry and his oratory.

6. Lourdes Wallace

To Mr. Schneider's comment, I would argue that calling anyone a "son of the south" is also a reminder that this person might be heir of the many racial injustices that have taken place throughout decades. I'm not so sure this comment had a more deliberate and "not so nice" subtext.

7. Marie

hey
    cnn blog, can't put immigration on the agenda?

8. Kevin

Clinton is a sure loser.

Look at the polls. She has a strong disapproval rating of 48%.

Translated, half the country can't stand her.

Choosing her as our candidate would be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

9. albert

Hillary Clinton is much more powerful and determined. She stands her grounds well and is able to defend her ideas more convincingly.

10. Barry

Hillary also attacks Barack on issues unrelated to the campaign but on character. I am tired of this and believe many americans are as well. Lets get on with a discussion of the issues and how each candidate proposes to solve the problems facing our country.

11. lee lucero

I am sick and tired of listening to Hillary talk about how many yeRS SHE HAS BEEN OUT THERE, "tAKING ALL THE ATTACKS." The way I remember it, alot of the "attacks" she has been through had to do with Bill's philandering.....

12. bryen

Of course she's speaking partisan! Duh! It's a party nomination race. Not a General Election. Before she can even GET to the General Election, she has to get the blessings of her party, the Democrats. And she, as well as all the others, really only have 16 days left to do that. The race for nomination WILL be decided on February 5th. After that, she has 6 months to tune her General Election strategy and appeal to a broader base of voters outside her party.

13. Richy

Too much rhetorics from Obama. Just too much. Issues brother, issues

14. Eve

I'm tired of Hillary talking about "fighting the Republicans" - and that she's been through it for 16 years. No she hasn't! She's only been in office for 7 years – it was her husband who ran for office....or has everyone forgotten that??? Obama has been fighting successfully against the CLINTON MACHINE, which is as tough if not tougher than the Republicans!

15. Pat

Probably the best candidate that I saw tonight was John Edwards, he was quick witted and had good answers to the questions asked, I didnt care for the bickering between Obama and Clinton.

16. GrayOwl

After watching this much of the debate, I am reminded of getting sick of the kids in the back seat. One says, "He hit me first." The other says, "No, I didn't. She hit me first." Bicker, bicker, bicker. It's ugly between Clinton and Obama. I like both significantly less than I did when the debate started. I disagree more with Edwards - but he at least acts like an adult. I suspect this would hold up in times of crisis, and this is pretty important for a world leader.

17. manny

Hillary appears to be conceding South Carolina to Obama....her statements reflect her commitment to WIN Texas, California, and every other state on Feb 5. It's a very smart strategy. McCain really need So Carolina, Hillary doesn't.

18. ally

Here, here, James.
    No one will drive moderates away faster and farther than Clinton.

19. Chuks

I think Senator Obama was not too sure on what to respond with regard Bill Clinton being the first Black President.

20. Verna

To say the Republicans are not going to vote for Obama makes you like all of the other closed mind mad dog dems. It was Iowa that gave him the big push, all of us are just waitiing for our chance to give him our support.

21. Hillphil

Hillary gets my vote if mCCain is nominated Assuming

22. Matt

Hillary does divide the country and she gives her party the smallest chance of winning in November. Obama talks (now) as a uniter and CAN draw voters across party lines. Hillary can not.

January 21, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  23. George

Does 8 years as first lady really count as experience? Didn't she start as a Senator in 2001? I am not a brain surgeon, but isnt that only 7 years?

January 21, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  24. phil

Yep, Hilliary cares for me.....R-i-g-h-t !!

January 21, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  25. mg

The republican party is in a mess and can't decide on a candidate. They are fractured. Everyone knows that what will munite the republicans around a candidate is Hillary. they want her and they hate her and given her high negatives they will beat her. She is too deveisive to win and just wait until they let public that Bill is still fooling around...heaven help us then!

January 21, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |