January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Steve

It better be – and it better be enough to win over the country in the election. I think that Obama is the best chance we have to really move the United States in the proper direction.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  2. Paul, NJ

As much as I have tried to like Barack, after tonight's debate, I've given up. He's so arragont! Hillary impressed me and I though Edwards did well. If I have to choose between Barace and McCain, I'll vote for McCain.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  3. Lyle P

It is so sad to see Obama and Clinton spending so much time on historical retoric.....poor Edwards..After this debateI am thinking of leaving the Obama camp and leaning toward Edwards

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. k8

I am an independent and believe in Obama, his message and his campaign. Hard line democrats have to see that Obama is the only candidate that will attract those undecided, uncommitted, and disenfranchised to vote in Nov. and not only carry with him democratic values but actually get something done about them.

January 21, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  5. Xaviersm

"Obama scores at debate"? I believe Clinton is by far the strongest candidate tonight.

January 21, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  6. Sue K

Obama indicated he wanted a 60% majority to Push Through his ideas.

These are not Post Partisan words, Mr Schneider

January 21, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. M. Hawkins

Obama's approach works because few "Democrats" are truly interested in "warring" any more. And, more importantly, a lot of people who may sympathize with issues on both sides (Red and Blue) aren't motivated when they are made to feel that voting one way defines them now, tomorrow and forever.

January 21, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  8. Lizzie

I believe in his platform because I think this country can only move forward when we end the partisan politics that seems to have proliferated since the Bush presidency. Attitudes in our current politicians do not seem to be what is best for the country but rather what is best for their particular party. Media "talking heads" only add to this polarization. i.e Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Hannity, Oberman.
    The old slogan "united we stand, divided we fall" should apply to this country. We are at a point in our history where we have lost our standing abroad, failed in some of our economic policies, have lost our manufacturing base and have other countries buying out our businesses. So long as we are busy fighting one another with the red state, blue state division, other countries can concentrate their energies on becoming stronger than us.

January 21, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  9. gloria hudson

Great Debate! NOT! THIS ELECTION WILL NOT BE WON ON EMOTION ALONE! Not one issue was really discussed. The CONSTITUTION WAS NOT DISCUSSED ONE TIME. WHAT A JOKE! THE REPUBLICIANS WILL WILL WIN UNLESS THE DEMS GET WITH THE CONSTITUTION

January 21, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  10. Jody

Listening to Sen. Obama tonight, I couldn't help but see that he is and will continue to be an excellent role model for millions of young black men.
    At a time when candidates put down Republican ideals(calling them "bad ideas") and insist on being negative or hatching negativity, I have decided that I want some fresh air. In terms of healing America's differences...in terms of having a rolemodel for ALL, Obama is the one. By the way: I am single, white male who historically believes in a conservative federal government, and I hope that I have the chance to vote for Obama.

January 21, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  11. aj

I think he frames this post-partisan "bridge building" as being a necessary step to moving forward on important issues - essentially, he makes it sound like can bring the parties together to advance his plans. He makes it seem as though without such collaboration - which he sounds ready to facilitate - nothing will be accomplished. However, he sounds like he wants to do this without losing sight of his plans to make dramatic changes. Framed in this way, I think he's more likely to capture the attention of some of those "seething" democrats.

January 21, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  12. kimdy

Building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states is a dream of mine, as it is a dream of many others. In the state this country is in right now, nothing, NOTHING, could be better. At this time, in this place, in this world, we NEED a consensus builder.

I cringe at another 4 or 8 years of infighting, hating, bocking for the sake of blocking, nothing getting done because each party is so busy racking up bully points for themselves.

We've had that!

It doesn't work!

Building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states... Working together as a people.

*sigh*

January 21, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  13. olakunle lawrence

I do feel senator Obama's message for hope is a needed injection for the American people and galvanizing the American electorate .His message speaks to both young and old , black, and white and he has shown by winning in Iowa that he has indeed transcended racial divides. He is a man of purpose and for once we have seen an African American appeal to a wider audience.
    He is an inspiration and i think his message of change can rally the American people at this fragile time in American history.

January 21, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  14. EMH

How can Obama be portrayed as uniting? He overtly pushes Edwards aside as "the white male" and makes comments that, while surprisingly, at least to me, draw laughter, are extremely divisive and would, if the roles were reversed, draw rightous anger (i.e., his comment about Bill Clinton's dancing abilities shows he can play it's okay if I said it yet it's stereotypical treatment of African Americans). Then, to close, he describes the populus of America as the bottom and, by inference, politicians the top. Hillary, thankfully acknowledges the role politicians have in affecting change (i.e., progress should never again require a mass uprising but, instead, effective dialogue amongst all citizens).

January 21, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  15. J D

For any person in our united states to vote for a president that refuses to honor our flag just one time.Has got a real problem. Put a white man in that position he would have been tried and convicted .Patriotism is where it all begins.Proud to be an American sound familiar.I don,t care if he,s black white or purple Im not voting for someone who is not proud to be an American especially a president for god sake. Im proud to be an American. How about you Obama THANKS J.D.

January 21, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  16. aj

January 21, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  17. Marcy,Florida

Obama's message may be appealing but he does not have any clear ideas as to what he plans to do. It's nice to say the nice things-dreams,etc. but I want to know what he is going to do for this country. I do not want to hear that he is going to pull out our troops asap. Iraq will fall victim to Iran. You think we are in trouble now–just wait if that happens. Obama needs a few years to season. Maybe next time Obama.

January 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  18. Debi S

Sen. Obama's comments stated here, and his honest answers to hard quesitons should bring ALL americans together.

January 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  19. Richy

Obama kept interrupting Clinton and interjecting and I think Wolf gave him leeway during the confrontantion

January 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  20. Roy C Voegtle

First Timer

Why can't the press choose not to ask and report Race and Gender. I am white, 68 years old and anti Bush.

I am also negative because of the Republicans support of him.

I like when the questions deal with our economy, ecology, status in the world, social security, the need for people to vote their convictions, immigrationn the war and its resultsin cost of dollars and reults to American Families. I failed to mention our educated people who cannot find jobs nor the many who have been laid off.

When you reporters fail to report the low number of people voting in Republican primaries and caucas's, you inadvertently prop them up. You may want a close race between the two parties for president but not I. I want them to experience a landslide against them. Their actions in the last two elections which Bush won were insults to the american people,

What happened to the reporting of lost e-mails, actions of the preident, vice president, secretary of state Rumsfield, other cabinet members and Karl Rowe.
    Ms Rice appears to be the only person who escape mischief.

Lastly, why is there no information as to how many convention deligates each canidate has won. How come we have not heard about items they have voted for.

January 21, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. Joan

Yes. I think Obama can unify America against Republicans. He can even unify Republican, Independants and Democrats against the Republican party.

Americans are yearning for unity. We are sick and tired of half of our country hating the rest of us. We are sick and tired of "middle america" viewing the coastlines as evil. We are all one America that values our diverse ideas.

Scriptures state that a house divided cannot stand. If America continues on this path of self-destruction we will fail in our plans to improve our country and, embolden our enemies, while we bicker amongst ourselves.

January 21, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  22. cbob

It better unite the Democratic Party. With the GOP in a free-for-all over their collective soul, many Americans are looking for true leadership that will unite the country past microtrends and party bases. Democrats should open the door by suggesting ideas that appeal to all Americans not rehashing whether or not Reagan was good or bad. Clinton offers a battle of the past while most all of the other candidates are offering their visions for the future. Obama or Edwards can take Democrats to the post-partisan plane and if Democrats want to nominate Hillary to go against the GOP and possibly Mike Bloomberg, then Democrats will lose in 2008.

January 21, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  23. A. Madine

Sen. Obama is correct when he speaks of 'building bridges and moving past the red and the blue states.' I feel strongly about the words he speaks because I am a survivor of two of the so called 'broken bridges': one, I am an African American and two, I am a woman.

The words spoken to me throughout my youth and as a young teen were 'you have two strikes against you from the day you were born.' The two strikes against me are the broken bridges I mentioned above.

My question, how can one truly aspire to be their best when negativities such as the ones mentioned above is still a factor in one’s life?

January 21, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  24. Lorraine

I am moved by the democcrats. I've never voted in my entire life and I am 51 years old. As an African American women I grew up in North Carolina during segregation. To see the concern for women and monorities at the level of the Presidency is powerful. I've travel with my ex-husband for 20 years in the military and endure a war. I live in Killeen and the Fort Hood Military area. However, for the first time after seeing this debate, I turly feel like an American citizen and a valuable part of my country. My vote however will be for Obama because I believe in his plans for our country and his ability to accomplish it.

Lorraine
    Texas

January 21, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  25. Murry

Barack Obama is our best hope for the future. He has a track record for uniting people. Go Obama!

January 21, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |