January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Mila Warner

Why would anybody want an in-experienced President.
    In the real world, employers do not hire people without experience and yet here we are thinking or even considering that we can hire an in-experience President like Sen. Obama. Didn't we have enough of the in-experience current Prez?

I do not understand do you?

January 21, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  2. Dan Tebes

The Democratic base needs a presidential candidate who unifies all of America - Democrats, Independents, and Republicans alike. Instead of tearing the Democratic party apart by making false allegations toward each others' senatorial records, the candidates and especially former presidents need to stick to the current issues facing America. If not, come election time, the Democratic party will actively implode, losing the trust and respect of millions of voters, resulting in a Republican presidency. Barack Obama is the candidate who will unify America, for he is the most genuine and honest candidate America has seen since Abraham Lincoln. Barack is humble, gracious, and introspective - three characteristics that defined a president who took on one of our nation's greatest conflicts, the Civil War. Barack Obama is the original voice of change. He has my vote, and I hope yours too.

January 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Chaunda

No it cannot because he is already looking past us democrats and trying to pull everybody else. Unite your party then go after the rest of the country.

January 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  4. felising Bietz

Well, some people are better debaters then others. And the media is going to jump
    on every comment that got heated. As a citizen, I only care about the ISSUES and the differences and how each of them will solve them. I can judge their characters
    without the bickering and without"keeping score" on who has the most wittiest (but not necessarily the most wisest) comments.

I think the candidates have been under tremendous strain on the campaign trail and it all boiled over. Now the media will blow this up and the Hillary haters and biased reporters will have a field day and the republicans can sit back and laugh while the Hillary and Obama engage in destructive attacks!

I feel sad that it came down to bickering. I want them to save their ammunition for their republican opponents. This debate doesn't make me proud of being a democrat. I hope they view the tape and see how silly they look.

If Edwards were less angry, I would vote for him. Hillary and Obama both came off like two immature little kids. There were no winners tonight, but alot of losers.
    This was an example why there are so many people don't bother to vote.

Grow up!! Obama will win SC.

January 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. Bruce Ross

Obama clearly won this debate. This was one of the best debates I've seen...

January 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  6. J Green

I consider myself part of the democratic base, and Barack's desire to bring us ALL together is exactly why I am voting for him.

January 21, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. Todd

Why does Hillary get a free pass on Social Security? She's against privitizing accounts but fails to say how she'll continue to pay for it.

She just sits back and points out the problems but fails to offer solutions.

January 21, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  8. bill hopen

Obama can and will be our leader,

Hillery just lost my vote tonite when she went to her slime bucket and tried to
    call Obama a slum landlord lawyer, etc etc

Hillery- ITS YOUR INTEGRETY STUPID, you' ve proved this week, and especially tonight you have no integrety, no presidential demenor. My wife and I don't want a vicious divisive muck -slinger leading our party or our nation.

so long Hillery, Welcome Obama

January 21, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  9. Douglas Jones

I thank god that Barack Obama is making this point; that's how strongly I feel about it. Every since John Stewart made the point of how partisan politics is ruining American on CNN's political show with Tucker Carleson called Crossfire some years ago, this issue to me is something that is so very important.
    Why in the world would the planets strongest most influential government want to play a sort of civil war in it's politics? We are constantly arguing over whether or not Iraq is in a civil war, yet we aren't focusing on whether we are in a political civil war ourselves in this country.
    I would have to think long and hard about this next statement: But point could be made that this is the single most important issue in this election. If Obama stands for a major change (which, no denying it, we need); having a post-partisan government as he calls it would be THE change. Imagine if we stopped competing and just joined together for the greater good. Isn't that the ultimate Democracy? Some will argue that we need competition and sides because we aren't all the same; But, aren't we all the same? Don't we all have the same needs? Just at different degree's, at different times. We just don't all have the same history; and joining together and listening to one another is WHAT we have to do in order to understand one another.

January 21, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  10. islalinda

This country needs to be unified so that we can find our way out of this hell we've been in the past 8 years. Go Obama!

January 21, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. chris

I think his appeal to a lot of Americans is good for the Democratic base and useful in rallying the Democratic base which has a lot of voters that have felt disenfranchised by 'politics as usual'. I think there are many apathetic voters who would vote democratic if the party is not just voting to oppose republicans, but trying to actually get an agenda advanced.

January 21, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. Grady

I think Barack needs the help of the Latino community in order to defeat Hillary in this race for the Democratic ticket. He has uplifted African-Americans in this country to believe that their vote will actually count this year. If he can drive that same energy into the Latino community, then I believe he has a chance defeat Hillary and the Republican candidate. I do believe this will be record year for minority participation in the upcoming general election. Whether Barack wins the Democratic ticket or not, he should be credited and rewarded with bringing new voters to the party.

January 21, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  13. Xander

It's an appealing message, but Clinton is more grounded in reality. Barack speaks about a new vision of America coming together on issues, it is a nice dream and very hopeful but this is not about a 10th grade essay on American life. I need a candidate who has the real life experience of dealing with political adversaries, the real gritty philosophical differences on economics, 'who is entitled to what'. believe it the Conservatives are not going to be forging consensus and building bridges with the Liberals.

January 21, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  14. Marie

"but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?" I think it's the only thing that truly can. We are all so tired of nothing getting accomplished due to political alignments. The needs of the people do not get addressed when those in power aren't working to come together to solve problems, but only want to be the ones who "win."

January 21, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  15. b.brodlieb

you are showing your biasis..Obama was talking the obvious and was being slippery like the worst kind of politician..he said less with more words,,just like a old time politician. I believe he is misleading about his past, present and future and am shocked at the people who are taken in by his copycat rehoric, His workers study the Kennedys flavor and MLK,Jr.'s cadance and need to carry pages and pages of notes on those men's speeches ..Obama is brown not black and never had to struggle. What does he know. He has very little in common to the blacks he is tryng to woo and the media is again not doing their jobs. Shame on you, how old are you anyway?

January 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  16. Larry Buchas, New Britain, CT

His message attracts Independents and Republicans. That's a winning strategy.

It's up to Democrats to recognize it.

January 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  17. Dennis Corrick

Absolutely. It's the the only way the Democrats can win. It's past time for us to put the shrill, divisive politics behind us and build on the things we have in common. For too many years, we've been told we're on one side or another of a line, be it abortion, tax cuts or immigration reform. In reality, we're a lot closer than either political debates or CNN commentators would admit. Obama is a voice pulling us together, perhaps just before it's too late to save ourselves.

January 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  18. Yes We Can

If Democrats learn anything from the past is that elections can't be close. They have to be a blow out. Obama is right you have to reach across the isle and be a party of inclusion. The Clintons of yester-year think this is the 90's and many of her supporters just don't get it. The right hate the Clintons and the Clintons hate them...voting for her would be polarizing politics as usual. Voting for Obama is the future...ONE NATION....united we stand divided we fall.

OBAMA '08!

January 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Angelina

He is the one Senator who brings about the importance of all of us, regardless of race, gender, economic, and other issues to sit at the table, he is the only one who is honest, even about his weaknesses.
    He is not running on somebody's ticket, or making up 35 years of experience. Hillary creates division, that is her motto. I am an independent voter, who will vote for Obama given he is the nominee _ but the Republicans will have my vote if the Democrats appoint BILLARY.

January 21, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  20. Becca

I hope it rallies the Democratic base!! I think its something that Barack's campaign should underscore. For Democrats wanting the White House back, we need to recognize the value of a candidate that can attract independents and republicans in the general election, and a candidate that will forge consensus and build a coalition, versus a candidate that is highly polarizing – even within the party itself. I think we risk losing in the general election if we nominate a polarizing candidate.

January 21, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  21. Ayo

Look, Obama is trying to destroy Clinton's records. He thinks ronald Regan was a best president than Bill Clinton, please give me a brake. I don't he knows what he was talking about. I am still in support of Hillary Clinton. She would be the best President for American. Obama's lack of experience show in this debate.

January 21, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  22. claire cavanaugh

Frankly I think Obama will rally the democratic base just fine to go against the republicans, I'm only concerned the dirty tricks of the Clinton campaign will keep him from getting the chance. To me, Bill Clinton has no more personal or political integrity or ethics than Karl Rove does.

Obama is the only candidate, in my opinion, who has the ability to truly inspire and motivate many people who have traditionally not voted in large numbers. His message of uniting, not dividing, stressing the best in all of us and our ability to work together, is something I've not heard from a candidate since Bobby Kennedy. As far as Hillary having all the baby-boomer female votes, I can tell you she will definitely NOT have the vote of this caucasian, female baby-boomer!

January 21, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  23. Katkhleen Rowe

This debate was disappointing in one very important area: climate change. Time and time again, this issue isn't even brought to the table by the commentators. This is the most important of issues right now, and it could also be a way for us to "mend our fences" with other countries by addressing new policies on this issue – more than "green jobs," we need to talk about energy policies that will directly deal with the current state of our atmosphere!!

January 21, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  24. Karen

It is kind of awkward to present political experience and then try to run as an outsider.

Personally, I don't need to reach consensus with the Red position. I think it is strongly reflected in our county currently and not in a positive way. The change in direction I want is away from right wing faith based trade policies, illegal slave labor, corporate rule etc and back to focusing at home and solving the country's problems.

January 21, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  25. jane

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I have been asking myself the same question for the past several weeks. I believe it is called the Democratic nomination, and the nomination must be achieved prior to the general election. As a Democrat I am not concerned about Republicans who are considering crossing over the aisle (at least not at this point in the campaign).

January 21, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |