January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Tom

I think any Democrat will rally the base.

January 21, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Tyrone

If Obama wins or who ever wins will have to win back the BLUE VOTERS in MICHIGAN and FLORIDA. The National Dem. Party has disenfranchized and frankly PISSED OFF alot of voters in MICHIGAN and FLORIDA and they are not going to vote in Nov 08 unless there vote is asked for!

January 21, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  3. Ainsley O.(NC)

Again I think it can rally the DEMS who want a perspective other than the "CLINTONS"

January 21, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. Diamond E.

If Democrats are really serious about winning in November, they would strongly consider a candidate who is capable of attracting Republicans and Independents, as opposed to a candidate who inspires Republicans to come out in mass numbers, only to come and vote against her.

January 21, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  5. robert

I'm afraid if Obama is the nominee that John McCain is going to eat him alive and still have room for seconds on the VP nominee.

January 21, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  6. tru

hey, i find it strange how savvy ohbama is going back and forth with hillary and john,yet as a blackman running for president he didnt explain at all how his plan on issue can be carried out.sounded like hillary and john edwards were clearer on how to do.dont need to be fooled man, your ethier able or not .its to serious for me cause i am a blackman .i know bill and hillary, you have not said anything other than your time for change speech.you have got to say it in english clear quit attacking and let us here in detail your health care bill etc.

January 21, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Arnold Ramsey

I agree with Sen. Obama. It's time to end the partison rhetoric and divide which plagues this nation. Sen. Obama has tremendous cross over appeal and this is a serious threat to the entrenched political establishment. The American people lose when our government cannot play well together. We certainly need a system of checks and balances which includes aggressive dialogue but we can't get there if we continue to muddle ourselves in partison bickering.

Obama is the sole transformation candidate and will transform this nation and the world alike. I am a Republican and would certainly vote for him.

January 21, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  8. todd

Thank you Diamond E., I attempted to post a similar message.

January 21, 2008 10:05 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    If the Democratic base wants to win a greater majority in the Congress in addition to the presidency, his message ought to rally them. Hillary is simply too divisive. I know a great many within the "base" who just don't want to vote for her and the legacy of bush/clinton/bush/clinton.

January 21, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. SB

When all is said and done...when it comes to the final election race will play a big factor-after all we are all alone in the voting booth and the country-south, rural, large cities race is a factor!

January 21, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. Wallace & Gwen

My wife and I are Democrats. We desire to have an system where there should be penalties and substantial fines for politicians running for President who distort the truth of statements made by other candidates both within the Democratic and the Republican parties.

Surely, having to correct and defend their records takes an enormous amount of time which could be used to address the many issues that are important to all of us to make a more informed choice.

January 21, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  11. Kathleen Kennedy

Good point Diamond and Obama is the only candidate that will do that.Otherwise there will be massive anti-Hillary votes on the Republican side.

January 21, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  12. EMH

BTW I am a registered Republican who will vote for Hillary, should she be the Democratic candidate

January 21, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Xander

The Republicans always come out in droves as reactionary voters, doesnt matter who is running. Their motivation is one of animosity not consensus building. I can hardly believe Conservatives coming out in droves to vote for a man of color. Sadly........

January 21, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  14. dar4democracy

In order to affect positive change, we must engage the entire country, across party lines, across socio-economic lines, across race lines, across gender lines.

We cannot continue to believe that it is ok to have an "Us vs. Them" mentality and STILL get things done!

January 21, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  15. Richard McKeon

Democrats are not seething to only take on the Republicans. They are seething to make true change for the country. So, to answer your question, YES! I am not voting for Hillary because I think Barack Obama will be a better President. He will bring along independents and even some Republicans. Hillary can not and will not do that. I'd rather have a candidate fighting FOR the country than AGAINST the Republicans.

January 21, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  16. eric downing

Exactly, with more and more Americans idnetifying themselves as independants, we need someone with more widespread appeal. Someone who can reach across party lines, include everyone, and get things done.

January 21, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  17. Chris

We've heard this "Uniter not a Divider" speech before, and from both sides of the aisle. The more I hear someone say this line, the less I trust him.

The only thing you get from standing on a fence is a sore butt.

January 21, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. Rene

I am registered rep and I have not decided so far Ron Paul is my guy but when it comes down to it if it were between Obama and Mccain it has to be Mccain. Sorry Obama is full of empty rhetoric. I have more respect for Hillary then Obama. which is saying a lot. Now Edwards and Mccain might get a Rep to go Dem.

January 21, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. Tracy

Yea, he has an appealing message, but I don't hear any specifics. I can't figure out why people seem to be so moved by his speeches. He certainly didn't stack up against Clinton and Edwards in this or any of the other debates.

January 21, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  20. Ted

As Obama said keep attacking that means he is ahead.To all of the Hillary supporters. What are you scared of if Obama can't win. You should attack Edwards.If Obama can't win why do you guys keep attacking him. Guess you are scared. HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

January 21, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  21. JOY

obama is very defensive and who does he think he is? he can talk about people and question them, but no body can talk about his past? the republicans are going to eat him up and why would he vote over 130 times present without taking a firm stand? that means he can't make a concrete decision. he was on the offense tonight and from his body language you could tell he doesn't take kindly to people opposing him.

January 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  22. tina

Obama has been this way from the start with his something like "We worship an awsome God in the Blue states and yes we have some gay friends in the Red states" or something like that. After hearing him speak at the Democratic National Convention, it was obvious that he was on to something. As an individual who grew up 1. poor, 2. on welfare 3. on medicaid 4. with no heat in the winter 5. placed in foster care with my sister 6. who grew up in rural Michigan who also loved both Bill and Hillary (and would trade Bush one for the Bush in office now), who despised this war from the start and the wasted money that went with it; as a white rural woman, i am pretty much a representive of the Democratic base of the party. I am not sure anymore that I could vote for Hillary. I do not think that she can bring the country together, and she seems rather shrewed and reminds me somewhat of ROVE. Yuck. Barack seems honest and has integrity. If she does win the nomination she'd be wise to pick him as a running mate because for Democrats, the only one I have ever heard of who can bring in any of the Independents that I have known, well that individual is Obama. Oh an yes, I went to Michigan Medical School somehow so I understand the base, and understand the need for something new.

January 21, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  23. Pamela

Obama for President. I've lost all respect for the Clintons, willing to divide the party if they could win. It is a new day, we all count and President Obama leading all of us, citizens of these United States of America to this new day, I say hallelujah!

January 21, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  24. Bethany, St. Louis MO

Obama is the only one that can win in November because he has the crossover appeal!

GO OBAMA!

January 21, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. Jay, Los Angeles, CA

Obama made the point that no politician's hands are clean and he is not in anyway claiming that he is a righteous politician. They are all the same. I think Obama focuses more on issues than Hillary. Hillary has a "right to the presidency" mindset overall. If not her, who else? That is why her campaign is mudslinging Obama.

If you want to know, see or hear Obama's positions, either visit his campaign website, or attend one of his rallies. Same for Hillary and John. Debates are celebrity rhetorics and have little substance. By the way, Obama HATES debates and I understand. Debates are like job interviews. It only gives you a tiny peek into an applicant's abilities. You wont really know until an offer is extended and the applicant is employed.

January 21, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |