January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. lynne Berry

Obama: too much rhetoric,not enough substance on critical issues.

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. Neil

It is the appeal of both Obama and Huckabee. They are moving beyond the partisanship and gamesmanship of the Bush and Clinton machines.

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  3. Jper

why didn't Clinton try to explain her position as a fatcat lawyer on the board of Wal-Mart?

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  4. Jon, Chesapeake, VA

As one who typically votes Republican, I find Obama's tone very refreshing and if the GOP insists on nominating another "business-as-usual" candidate, I would find Obama a much more attractive candidate for change. Hillary would never have the same pull on independents or socially-conscious Republicans.

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. Mitt Snyder

Barrack is a class guy, Hillary is about division........

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Sandy

Barack is not ready for the big leagues, he needs to stick around and get more experience before taking on the highest office in our country. Lets get serious!

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  7. Brad

Running as anti-Bush didn't work in 2004. Unflappable liberals will vote the same now as then. I wonder how many people he can cross. In my opinion the least intelligent voters are the "far left/right" candidates. Barack has an ability to do some cross-over, but if its McCain it will be a real issue, hes the only Republican with a shot, and that's because he's known for not following in Bush's footsteps, and thats all that matters to moderate and conservative Bush-haters.

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. Robbie Schleicher

Although I'm happy Obama wants to move past partisanship, I think he is being naive to whats going to come at him in the General. I would love to support him, but I don't want to take that risk, at least, not yet.

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. Marie

A Debate: who is hiding more the democrats or cnn? where are any questions on immigration? Can't hide forever. cnn can't protect the democratic party, regardless of who the nominee is.

So disappointing in cnn!

January 21, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. An American

Then why isn't he (Senator Obama) running as an "Independent"?

11. Jesse

Absolutely! What has this democratic congress done with partisanship? We need an inspirational leader. Hillary will divide, not lead.

12. Bill

Are you kidding me? Bill, I didn't realize you were on the Obama payroll. That or you're extremely inebriated. Pathetic.

13. Cecile

Lol. Obama is already running for the general, like he did when he came with the Reagan comment.
    But he is not in the general yet !!

14. Jim J

I'm sorry, but I feel that while Obama is talking, he is lecturing me like a 12-year old...when he isn't confusing the issue by the amount of words he uses. At least Hillary doesn't talk down to her audience and is clear in what she is saying

15. Lillian Consolo

Was this debate bought out for Obama? It seems that he is the main one that gets the chance to speak – more than John or Hillary. He is permitted to go off on one of his oratorial speeches – consistently. I guess the press is still trying to give him a free ride!!! How sad...when our journalists are so biased!!

16. Aron in South Carolina

Is a post-partisan position feasible? Will the Republicans roll over and play dead. Unilkely. Obama wants to change the game but Hillary's strength is that she knows how to play the game.

17. iplaywithplato

If should, but our country has gotten so caught up in partisan politics that most people have lost sight of the greater good. If someone has an idea that is best for the country, it shouldn't matter what side their bread is buttered on.

18. Carrie

YES HE CAN!

19. Tom Steele

When is someone going to ask where Hillary got her 35 years of political experience? I am an architect and my wife has been married to me for many years, but she isn't an architect.

20. Cheryl

I would hope it would be what the people of America would want. I real uniter and not a devider.

21. Audrey

The only person on that stage that could bring people together is Obama. Edwards is out of the race and I can't even count the many people I know who would rather vote Republican than vote for Hilary.

You either despise her or love her and even with no other name on the ballot, 40% of DEMOCRATS put "Uncommitted" on the ballot than vote for her in Michigan. The party better pay attention to that.

22. Richard Uckmann

I for one believe there are no truly red or blue staes only purple. The shade of purple varies according to region. Whomever is the Democratic nominee will need to find the right shades of purple to succed.

23. CM

Hillary is obviously not a uniter.. Go Obama

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. Orville H.

It can't rally anything, and Obama said Jesus, wow something is going on. Hillary is still the strongest runner. She can play bills sax. They better not talk about mccain its Guilliani they should be worried about.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. charles rosen

hillary has passed more bi-partisan legislation than any other sitting senator – thats not post-partisan enough for you? stop the rhetoric.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |