January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Allen

Notice that Hillary never talks about faith. Obama is the candidate option for Christians spurned by the right wing Christians the Repubs used to ride to victory. Obama is looking more and more like the candidate for all people.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  2. Josh

I don't think that's entirely true. He talked about Bush and Cheney making Republicans look bad and building the Democrat majority.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  3. Orville H.

It can not rally anything, and Obama said Jesus, wow something is going on. Hillary is still the strongest runner. She can play bills sax. They better not talk about mccain its Guilliani they should be worried about.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  4. ralph

Obama's a wonderful orator. Unfortunately his comments often lack substance. He'a a pro act leaving out the details.

Clinton is coming off as a well worn political hack, Where's the change?

Edward's is making them sweat tonight. He's the clear winner tonight.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  5. s freeman

Notice how CNN camera angles exposed Senator Clinton's backside numerous times during the first segment. They did not treat either of the male candidates like this.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  6. Karolyn

It has rallied me... first time I will be voting democrat because I like the candidate as opposed to hating the candidate less... I'd vote for Hillary or Edwards, but only because I can't stand the republican party, if Obama is my candidate, I will go to the polls with bells on :)

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. paul

It's time for democrats to do what's best for the country and not what's best for the party. Sure, we want to regain the White House, but at what price? All 3 candidates can beat the Republicans, but if we regain the presidency without changing the political culture and forming a working majority in the congress, we will not be able to make any meaningful changes. Only Obama understands the need for a new kind of politics.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. terry

I close my eyes to just listen. I am lasping into a coma listening to Obama. Clinton is amazing tonight. Obama is young,,, he needs time. Edwards is on top of his game tonight.
    why does obama stutter before he speaks? What does the cnn body language wizards say?
    and what a stupid comment obama said about if bill can dance he could be a brother.

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  9. Ben Amering

Barack is going raise capital gain tax from 15% (currently) to I believe 28%, which will pay for the roads and bridges and health care and so on.....

January 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. Ben

I think Obama speaks to the working person here in America. Edwards in the same manner speaks to many Americans. Clinton does not appear to speak to the lower and middle class Americans.

11. Alma Garcia

I think that the candidates started out on the wrong foot: bickering with each other and interrupting each other. More civility needed.

12. Adam

It doesn't matter, George Bush has already done enough to rally the democratic base.

13. Van Jones

Seems as if Edwards is attacking Clinton now. Obama is smart to stay out the wat right now.

14. C. O.

"...can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?"

ANSWER: YES IT CAN!

15. Kevin

Or at least, it should.

16. Aron from SC

For the sake of America, I hope so.

17. Kalara

I find Obama's inclusiveness very appealing. I'm a life-long Democrat, and am so tired of the partisan sniping.

18. Sara

Hilary...way too aggressive, spends more time picking petty fights than communicating the issues

Obama...Defended his position well. Gracious to John Edwards. Intelligently communicated his position but I wish he'd stop taking the "fight" bait from Hilary.

Edwards...Good use of humor...Very good natured. Excellent VICE Presidential candidate.

19. PW

No, It can't. He will not be able to win a general election with his "wishy-washy" politics.

20. Drew

Your question is flawed in its asking, Bill, Obama is not interested in rallying Democrats intrested in continuing the partisanship bickering that divides this country, he knows we're not interested in that nonsense anymore, and that America is only interested and fixing this broken crap and getting the things done that need to be done so America can be the great nation that it aspires to be.

21. Anonymous

When the house is on fire, you want the person holding the hose to put out the fire, not water flowers oversea's, without regard to the cost of the water

22. Myrna Jacobs

I screamed at the TV tonight because I am sick of Hillary and Bill. I cannot stand her and I was willing to give her a chance. When she started attacking Barack, I saw her ugly ugly side again... the one that will do ANYTHING to win. I really do HATE her!

I'm not sold on Obama and I really hate Bush and the whole Republican thing... but I would vote for ANY republican before I would vote for Hillary.

I'd love to see a woman in the presidency...just not her and I'd love to see a black person in there too .... and I think Obama could be him.

I am just screamingly angry at the distortion and lies of the Clintons just to win. I don't want them in the White House and in charge of our country again.

23. Lei Lani Phx

This is really sad, I have not heard anything of substance from any of these three candidates. I am afraid not one of the three can beat McCain.

24. Stephanie

I am a life-long citizen of Illinois and a registered voter who usually votes Democratic. When Barack Obama ran for the U.S. Senate, I had never heard of him even though he had served in the Illinois state legislature. Whatever he had done as a state senator, it was NOT remarkable enough to make him known state-wide. The Republicans were immersed in controversy for illegalities committed by the out-going governor. The Republicans had imported a candidate from another state because there were no credible or scandal-free Republicans who would run for U. S. Senate. The imported Republican was African American and I always believed that state Democrats asked Obama to run so race would NOT be an election issue. He had also not done anything controversial, so he was a safe candidate. Obama ran virtually unopposed when he was elected as the junior Senator from Illinois.

As a Senator, he did not distinguish himself in any way that made news back in Illinois – the state that sent him to Washington, D.C. When he was chosen to speak at the Democratic convention, I was very surprised and just hoped he would make a nice speech and not flub up. He made a REMARKABLY ARTICULATE speech and I was pleased, stunned, amazed. Then I heard nothing more of him as he returned to do whatever it was he was doing in the U.S. Senate.

The next time he appeared was in some news article where he was asked if he would run for president but he said definitely not. Then about a year later, he was back in Illinois – announcing from the state capital that he was running for president. I heard the announcement speech. Another INSPIRATIONAL, MOTIVATIONAL ARTICULATE and WELL-DELIVERED speech.

YES! The guy can make speeches. Other than that, I see nothing of any importance that he has shown that would qualify him to lead this nation. Inspirational talk is great, but it is not enough to get any job going let alone completed.

Obama’s mantra – CHANGE _ CHANGE _ CHANGE – frightens me. GWB did nothing but change! His administration changed everything! 180 degrees of change on almost everything that was good and should have stayed to be improved upon even more. All dumped, damaged, gone. So now we need to undo most of what damage the GWB administration has done and try to restore what was once the U.S.A.

25. scott

The message is sound. Better than invoking the Clinton partianship of the past. Put someone in who doesn't invoke the unpleasant memories of the past and will be able to work with republicans better.

January 21, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |