January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Ray

Bill, I hope sure hope it can since it seems that before this country can get back to being a confident, trusted, and role-model type of super power, this country must work together and not be partisan. It will take a figure like Obama to look past partisan politics and to bring the country together so that we can regain the confidence and trust (abroad) lost during the GWB years.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  2. Lynn Roethler

Well, it's won over this Independent and sometime Republican voter...Hillary seems to want to continue the partisanship and "war" between her and the Republicans from the 90's. If you want to bring out the Republican base, Hillary is the right choice. But what attracts Americans to Obama is his message of building bridges and working together. Lincoln built his cabinet from his foremost adversaries – maybe Obama is on to something.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  3. Diana

You spend way too mucy time letting Obama speak his mind. He talks around every topic and gets away with tap-dancing around every challenge.

If he wants to be our next president, he should quit belittling everyone else and say what he really intends to do.

I'm not impressed with him at all.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. Amanda

Obama talks like a Leader. I believe that he will LEAD our country, not just play the sided games. He is the perfect candidate because he appeals to people from all walks of life, all parties, all races, etc.
    Hillary scares me half to death because she is so anti-Republican. We need someone that can bring everyone together not pull us further apart.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  5. Wil Nix

I am not looking for a battle, but for a solution. I supported Clinton in 92, and 96, but with the fight the Republican (Gingrich Revolution) brought, now is time to end. We need to work together to bring America back from the battlefield of partisanship!

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  6. dan

how can obama thank he can cross over and capture the white vote whin he took most off the black vote in navada and hillary took a mixture

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  7. Jonathan in Chicago

YES! I am a die-hard Democrat, but I am so tired of the blue-red divide. We are Americans first, and we need a president who can be a leader for us all.

I do not agree with much of the GOP platform, but I welcome and encourage discourse and debate. These are not our enemies - these are our neighbors, our friends, our family. This is the very core of our system - this is pluralism. This is how we draw are strength - this is why they (should) fear us. It is not our military might, but our freedom and our shared liberties.

A great republican president, Abraham Lincoln, understood that a nation divided could not stand - and we have struggled these past years under the burden of terrible divisiveness and partisanship. We have lost our true patriotism - the pride that comes from a shared prosperity - despite our differences. We spend a great deal of time focusing our attentions on the opposition - on the disagreements and our differences; we forget to embrace our shared purpose. So, I have loathed the Bush administration (and I imagine many republicans have as well), but I welcome a return to a whole country in which we can all find something to be proud.

8. Mary

Bill: You have expressed the right question. Obama will not rally the Democratic base. We want to win and only Hillary can do it against a republican. Honestly, we are seething to win back the White House.

9. Nancy

Tonight as I listen to the debate I felt Hillary was the only one who spoke of her plan and gave answers to the questions ask of her and didn't dance around the question as Obama did. Go Hillary

10. Ronald

From The Netherlands I have to say Obama is doing an amazing job to stop the partsan politics we all know from America. Impressive!

11. Justin

I think that if the Democratic core, or base, thinks clearly on the issue of either attacking Republicans or being a party of unity that they would choose to be a party of unity. The fact of the matter is that the Democratic party was brutally beaten the last two elections and that some people are letting that cloud their judgment on this issue. People are feeling the need to beat the Republicans with Teddy Roosevelt's "big stick". But the fact of the matter is that it would be a greater success, a greater victory for the Democratic party if they were able to win, by not only turning out the vote of the Democratic base, but to also "convert" members of the Republican party to vote for a Democratic candidate then that would be something to throw in the face of the Republican party, and would allow for there to be a clear majority of Democrats in Congress, which would allow for many (if not all) of the major policy issues that are the topics of these debates, to be accomplished by the Democratic party.

12. carole

Watch her when she is not "on camera". She gets the same smirk on her face that Bush has.

13. marq

Bill i think that's smart for him.. we need a UNITER
    Marq

14. Nausher Ahmad Sial

Hello Mr Schneider,
    The Cinton is the only strong Democratic candidate who can beat Republican candidate and fix the problems USA is in trouble with.

15. Steve

At least these guys can evidently debate without a script.
    Mac McCain has repeatedly spoken from script – shocked that the media haven’t yet picked up on this yet.

Steve – Former Republican
    Well done you three!

16. chhabili

Obama is still not telling me how he is going to end poverty, provide universal health care and how he will end the war in Iraq. He is in the audience of predominantly African Americans and is seemingly getting claps even before he is saying anything. But he is really not addressing much. He is still hoisted by his own petard. And I used to be an early supporter of Barack. No more

17. jessica

I think being a white woman in my husband is an arab american I belive he can I think that there is several ways that we can I a conservitive demacrat and hold many ideas that are shared buy both party and I a white woman and my husban makes 50,000 a yr and I am dissabled and I am 31 yrs old so for my ideas and home is of most americans is that all desirve consideration and hope and just because I am a woman and hillary is a woman should I vote for someone how cant keep her house and is still allowing this man to controll her how can she run a country

18. s freeman

I have asked several questions and made several comments regarding the camera angles of Hillary's backside. Each comment is preceded by a statement.." your comment is awaiting moderation". Does CNN support censorship? My comments have not appeared nor my question answered.

19. sam011usa

Obama is showing genuine leadership skills that cross over party lines

20. Terrence

(correction)

The key question is can he create bridge of migration for "obama republicans" the same way Reagan built a bridge for Reagan Democrats. This is what he was driving at when he spoke of his admiration for the transformative Reagan in Nevada. Of the three candidates, he is the most appealing and naturally inclined along these lines followed by Edwards then Hillary who, to the contrary, is the most galvanizing dynamic existing for the Republicans.

Democrats would vote for gary Coleman if he were the democratic candidate…anyone but the Republicans.

21. vb

Unfortunately, the "post-partisan" talk is the same given by George Bush seven years ago. Note that he also appointed African-Americans to two of the most powerful and visible positions in the country.

I'm deeply disappointed that so many people seem distracted by Obama's race and Hillary's gender, to the point of not recognizing that Edwards has been leading all three in terms of progressive policies. Hillary and Barack have jumped on many of his bandwagons months after Edwards specified his own policies. It's the policies that count, not the color or gender (how much good have Condi Rice and Colin Powell done for black americans in the past seven years?).

Race and gender are important – but so is class. John Edwards is the only candidate who came from working class background and achieved his successes without family precedent; he is the only one who didn't go to an Ivy League school. He is the only one who still speaks with a very obvious regional accent. None of these qualities make him better or worse than the other candidates, but they make the point that his candidacy speaks to _class_ problems in America every bit as much as Hillary's candidacy speaks to gender and Obama's to race. Race, gender, and class – class is the silent member of the triumvirate, but every bit as sticky and powerful.

22. Cheryl

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Hillary is right. Barak Obama refuses to take responsibility for his record, and that will just not hold up in a general election. How sad that he has consistently done the dirty work for banks and financial companies, while pretending to be for the ordinary working person. The first thing he did in the Senate was get up and speak in favor of the bankruptcy reform bill (on behalf of the banks and credit card companies) and that bill has left millions of consumers and seniors so much worse off. When will the media really put him on the spot about his record?

23. April C

I think that it can because we realize that his loyalty is to the Democratic party but that he will not be so hardcore partisan that we will not be able to work with an importantly garner support his election. Barack is the only candidate that could beat the Republicans hands down he was a charismatic, inspiring, rock star quality that would blow the repiblicans out of the water. If it is truly the desire to beat the Republicans as many democrats claim that it si then you had better put your eggs in Barack's basket it you want to win in NOvember.

24. jorge999

This member of the democratic base is seething at the Clintons.

A Hillary candidacy will drive me to embrace McCain.

25. Allen

Edwards needs to lose the lobbyist question – employing or not employing lobbyists in the White House is getting stale. Lobbying groups are always going to be around and of course Obama, Clinton and Edwards would most likely try not to support them by taking funds, but seriously folks – there is a policy group for everything, there is no way to put permanent blinders on. Yes, taking money and support from lobbying groups is bad – let's move on!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15