January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama's post-partisan message

Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?
Will Obama's post partisan approach be enough to win over his party's base?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) –
Barack Obama is running as a post-partisan - he speaks of building bridges, forging consensus, and moving past red and blue states. It's a very appealing message to many Americans, but can it rally the Democratic base, seething to take on Republicans?

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Amy in GA

yes it can. He's the only one that can do it. John Edwards is a fighter. He's a former lawyer. That's how he made his money. Barack Obama is a negotiator. He understands that for anything to get done you need a consensus. He has gotten it in the past and he will get it when he is president.

January 21, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. John

Obama has the American people ready for chance.

January 21, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  3. TOTBS

OBAMA IN '08 REAL CHANGE TRUE CHANGE ENOUGH OF THE Clinton and Bushes!

January 21, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  4. Becky in Indiana

Obama converted me from Republican ties so I think he is what we need as a country for unity.

January 21, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. Dave. San Diego, CA

GO OBAMA! This is exactly what we need. Someone who is willing to go BEYOND the partisanship and reach across the isle to attract all voters. Mrs Clinton is not capable of doing this. She is strictly partisan in nearly everything she does and will only mobilize the Republican base even more than they were in 2000 and 2004. The American public wants change, and I'm not talking change from the Bush/Clinton regimes, I'm talking about change that will unite the American public and the there were two candidates on that stage tonight that are capable of doing this and neither one's last name was Clinton.

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  6. Ed

All of the beforementioned items would depend on his choosing of a running mate. Not a Bush choosing a Cheney, who basically a yes sir situation (working both ways), but rather a Kennedy choosing a Johnson, a running mate who can add diversity to the ticket.

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. FJ Stratford

The Republican attack machine in November will show Obama that his claim that right-wing Republicans will prefer him over their nominee. They bloddied McCain – because he is a moderate Republican. If he believes that the right wing will stop themselves because he is expressing a vague message of peace and hope, HE IS KIDDING HIMSELF!

We've seen it. On McCain, on Kerry, on Gore, on Ford (TN)

He is not strong enough. If he bleeds everytime Bill highlights policy differences and inconsistencies in his record, the Republican swift boaters will make mincemeat out of him!

I need a president who has balls. That character, ironically, belongs to the woman – Hillary.

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. Jay, Massachusetts

"Post-partisan" is as true and has as much weight in the real, non-rhetorical world as "post-ideology" or "post-history", that is nil, zip.

If wishes where dreams beggars would ride.

It's delusional to believe that could happen, that it should happen at all.

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  9. jakob grothe

the point is not to rally the base. he speaks to independents and moderates from both parties. he is trying to get past the partisan crapt and the extremes that exist on both sides of the spectrum. we need more presidents that can bring both parties together and work through the differences in ideals. people who are tired of the blue/red conflict that the base of each party speak of; want a different kind of president.

i do not care if the base is rallied or not. i want someone who speaks to all americans.

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  10. Roxanne in Texas

Obama is beginning to make Democrats feel good about themselves again.
    No longer is "liberal" a four-letter word.
    He can unite the Dems and attract some Republicans and independents.
    His voice is moderate and nonpartisan.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  11. Chris Colburn - North Carolina

Obama's message of a "pos-partisan" talk is what makes him my number one candidate for pres. He wants to work with everyone and fix the whole system. Unlike Hillary who mainly says that she is in it to beat Republican's (if I remember correctly she said that she knows how to beat them).

As a Republican I would like a change and someone that is inspiring. Hillary just seems like someone that wants to crush her enemies under her foot while doing the greater good. But Obama sounds like he wants to find anyone that wants to help no matter what and work with him. This gives me hope – hope that I think my parents heard when they listened to JFK, or hope my grandparents heard from FDR, or my great great grandparents when they read Lincoln's speechs.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  12. zoey

Democrats lost the past eight years by not standing firm on issues, by not differentiating their position from that of repuplicans on critical issues like healthcare , criminal justice system, access to education, minority rights..candidates should just stop playing to the middle and show how a democratic president can create a difference and transform this country...I appreciate the decisive tone Sen. Clinton brings to this debate

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  13. Jon

Yes, I think he can rally the Democratic base. The Democratic base wants to win more than the Republicans, and nothing will unite their base like Hillary Clinton.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  14. mckeeverm

I generally rely on BBC, but upon peaking in, rather perplexed as to why CNN has someone from a hard right think tank commenting on the Democrats. Does it have someone from the Institute of Policy Studies doing the same re the Republicans? Just curious...

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  15. mselin

I know we need to reach across traditional party lines, but I did find Obama's mention of the Evangelic Christians a bit scary. Why not stick to luring more moderate voters concerned about the economy and the war instead of those seeking to overturn Roe? I understand his need to prove his "Christianity" given rumors that still abound, but is this extreme necessary?

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  16. Marcia, AZ

OMG! Hasn't anyone told this man that this is a closed Democratic Primary? I'm sick of hearing his Republican pandering...'Obamicans' disgusting! Repubs have buried themselves...let them take awhile..a long while...before they come up for air...they deserve it!

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  17. Ashlin

Obama will be torn to shreds in a general election. He is a JUNIOR senator... spending the last 3 out of the 4 years of his term running for President. He lacks the experience to withstand Republican attacks.

January 21, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  18. Emeka Baltimore, Md

Obama is vigorously deviating from his former philosophy of change to unity and consensus. The danger here is that he is alienating traditional democrats by apparently trying to appease republicans and independents so as to appear more elected among these groups.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  19. James Brown ( Independent )

Obama is the one to get people to work together and finely get something done in this country.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  20. Lauren

If the democrats are smart they will vote for Barack. He is the only candidate who is a sure thing to beat the republicans.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  21. Jon

I need to clarify....no one or nothing would unite the Republican base like Hillary Clinton.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  22. David Higuera

Speaking as someone who worked for the Democratic Party as a strict partisan for three of the past four years, I can say with 100% certainty, I am SICK OF the partisanship. I am so eager to have a nominee who can transcend it, who can build a strong coalition for change that involves Democrats, Independents, and moderate Republicans. I want this more than anything.

THAT'S WHY I'm voting for Obama on Feb 5th.

Sometimes pundits don't give Americans enough credit, even long-time party activists.

January 21, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. Charlie

I feel that am your average conservative voter facing an interesting delima this year. I am strongly motivated, and intent, on voting the Democratic agenda this year. I am tired of the Bush years, and I am equally adverse to returning to the Clinton years. As a result, I now see myself as someone who now represents 2 votes this year. If Clinton is the Democrative nominee, I vote Republican regardless of the candidate. If Clinton is not the nominee, I vote Democratic, regardless of who is the candidate. As I see it, that means I represent 2 votes against Clinton.

Am I alone?

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. Melissa

Obama is our best chance for change. He is exciting and motivational, and Democrats will turn out for him in greater numbers than for any other candidate in the general election.

In addition, he has an extraordinary ability to bring moderates into the Democratic party. His inclusive language and tone make it possible for us to forsee a new way of American politics. A new way for us to unite for change in this country.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  25. NSandhu

His comments appear to mobilize the conservative middle toward him, an effective strategy in fighting for the undecided vote. By being careful not to polarize one group against another, he's sending the message of being reasonable, advocating smart policy, not election policy. The candidate to move the most voters in the conservative middle should undoubtedly be the most successful.

January 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |