January 22nd, 2008

America Votes 2008: The economy, the economy, the economy

Watch Tuesday's highlight's from the campaign trail.

Watch Tuesday's highlight's from the campaign trail.

(CNN) - In the latest American Votes 2008, watch the White House hopeful discuss the economy out on the campaign trail.

Related: Listen to Candy Crowley discuss Monday night's Democratic debate

Filed under: America Votes 2008
  1. Economy Romney

Economy Romney says Jobs Jobs Jobs and I agree.

January 22, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  2. Brian Baker

Is the economy really that bad?
    Every time I go out on the weekend, I see huge crowds of people driving cars and going shopping and eating out.
    Do you ever think that maybe all the emphasis on how 'bad' the economy is shifts the focus off of things that are more important?

January 22, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  3. Marti

When it comes to strengthening the economy, addressing our budget deficit, balancing our trade deficit, and turning around our falling dollar there is no question but that Mitt Romney is much more qualified than ANY of the other candidates....on either side.

Mitt Romney wasn't the CEO of a highly successful private equity firm for nothing. He ran that organization because is incredibly talented when it comes to running an organization, turning around organizations, and making sound economic decisions. He is a very accomplished executive who has delivered impressive results time and time again – in business, as Governor of MA, and with the SLC Olympics.

Mitt Romney – a PROVEN LEADER with the EXPERIENCE to turn Washington around!

January 23, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Everyone is for cutting the interest rates for homeowners and I appreciate the fact that that will help them but no one mentions how hard it makes it for people on fixed incomes that have CD's and the interest rates go to 1% or lowers. A lot of retired people depend on that interest. Fortunately I don't depend on it for daily living but it sure is nice to have some interest when you get ready to make a purchase like a car or something. I do think that it should be at least mentioned that although it is good for homeowners it s NOT good for retirees with CD's and need the interest for a living.

January 23, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Sandy OHIO

I have been following your comments the past couple of days. I am for Hillary because she does have the experience over Obama. I think he is beginning to come apart under pressure and there is alot more to follow and alot worse than what he has been through so far. I dont think he is strong enough to handle it. As for the religion thing . I dont think religion; gender; or race should even be brought into this political race! I think we should hear more about what is going to be done to slow down the recession??? Improve the economy? Keep Amercican jobs here???? Nafta was intended for fair trade but Bush has let it get so one sided to the foreign countries. He has done this because if he lets trade go abroad it keeps the communication lines open so he can borrow more money from foreign countries to finance his war -of which is costing all of us alot more than jobs to maintain. Think about it! We borrow from China, Japan, and the oil producing nations. We are now a nation of extreme debt!!!! Please publish this as I feel it is very important.

January 23, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. JC, Topeka, Kansas

What economy, the Repbulicans have taken away every gain made in the 90's and turned the ecomony upside down.

CLINTON 08

January 23, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. Jim Kansas

What good has driving down interest rates had? Has it helped the consumer, today I see credit card companies charging some of the highest interests rates I have ever seen.

Has it helped bring in manufacturing jobs, has it kept interest rates low for home owners, I think those that go sucked up into the sub-prime market might have a thing or two to say about that.

What it has done is weaken the dollar, which fuels the cost of goods made overseas, so when was the last time you found something not made over seas. It has driven up the cost of imports, say isn't oil an import. The cost of oil in turn has driven up the costs of everything to include those few things that are still made in the USA. It has decreased the interest rate I can expect to get on my money, which is losing value sitting in the bank. And I really don't think the stock market is the place for money today as it was annoced a 22% decline since its high in October, that puts us in a bear market. In a bear market one expects to see the bond market thriving, but somehow the economic policies are producing any markets for one one to invest within.

This is a unique situation we find ourselves in, after all how many markets have you seen or studied where a balance portfolio could lose money in not only the market, bonds but fixed investments all at the same time.

ITS THE ECONOMY STUPID – CLINTON 08

January 23, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. therealist

If you need help in an economy with 3% growth and 5% unemployment, then your hopeless already..

January 23, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  9. Kris

NEOCON's ruined our economy so I will nver vote for a NEOCON. Democrats ruined our economy so I will never vote for a democrat. Why have both parties ruined the economy? Because they are owned by the Federal Reserve. Vote democrat, vote republican, it doesn't matter, you're going to get the same results. They all work for the Federal Reserve, not The People. If you want to vote for someone who can get a grip on the economy, your only choice is Ron Paul. Check out his speech to the Federal Reserve on youtube. All other canadites are big government and big spenders, you're kidding yourself you think otherwise. Unless Paul is elected, expect more of the same, more wars, more taxes, more government!

January 24, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |