January 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: Seems like Obama's running against me

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Barack Obama said Monday he felt as though he were campaigning against both Bill and Hillary Clinton. On Tuesday, former President Clinton said he felt the same way.

“I thought he was running against me for a while there in Nevada when he said that Republicans had most of the new ideas, and you had to challenge the conventional wisdom of the 90s. I thought we challenged the conventional wisdom of the 90s,” said Clinton.

He also hinted again that Obama specifically targeted Nevada Republicans in hopes of securing a win there - a charge that has been denied by Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

Clinton said Sunday that his wife Hillary Clinton had “won a victory in spite of a very well-organized, and I might say a very well-executed, strategy by the Obama campaign. Which included doing well in the north of Nevada, where his demographic of upscale voters lived, and by making an explicit effort to get Republicans to come and vote for him in the Democratic caucus."

Related: Watch Bill Clinton's latest remarks regarding Sen. Obama's campaign tactics

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Jim, American in Paris

Great response Bill and it's true!

Obama keeps making mistakes and Hillary has nailed him each time! He's made his whole campaign around knocking Hillary on her votes. He's running a negative campaign with the aim of tossing Hillary out and taking her place. At the same time he's dragging the whole Democratic party into the mud!
    Keep supporting your wife and the Democratic party.

America loves you and Hillary and we won't turn our backs on you!

January 22, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. Walt, Belton, TX

Who's going to be the real President, if Hillary should win. Bill or Hillary? Which is actually going to play the Surrogate?

January 22, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. Mani from New Jersey

Obama is a really cool and funny guy. He would probably be fun to hang out with. But we should want a President that works hard and can solve problems. Thats what Hillary represents.

January 22, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. New Yorker, NYC

It funny with obama supporter attack President Bill Clinton. Obama need to stop whinning and Grow Up

January 22, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. Mia, Stafford, VA

No one is saying Bill Clinton shouldn't support his wife, what is at issue is his style considering he is a "FORMER PRESIDENT," but why should we be suprised he showed "NO CLASS when he was PRESIDENT."

Why would anyone want to listen to someone is not sure what the meaning of "is" is?

Obama 08

January 22, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. David Snider

Wasnt Bill Clinton impeached for Lying to America?

I think he should be banished from politics!

He's a liar!

January 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  7. Bruce

What a Clinton legacy. Tear down Barack Obama, perhaps the most visionary politician since RFK. Dwell in the mud, throw it at others, they get muddy whether they sit there or protest. Sad thing. I am glad that Barack fought back. I hope he can get back on message, but that is the last thing the Clintons will tolerate. Trust is the first requirement to obtain the consent of the governed. I am starting to steel myself for the possible need to vote for John McCain.

January 22, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  8. Kelan, IL

It is sickening how the women of this country come to the defense of a political hack like Hillary Clinton. I was once a huge fan of her husband, and now...well if the devision they are creating in thier own party is anything like the gulf they will build in office, get ready for four more years of exactly the same thing we have been dealing with. Oportunistic misrepresentations of what Obama says does not make him soft on the issues, he has stated what he stands for again and again. If a Clinton wins the nomination, i am voting independant, count that as one staunch democrat that will leave this party. Permanently.

January 22, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. Mark

I appreciated Bill for lots of good work for the country and the world though he was a chronic liar. But the popularity of a politician heavily and mainly depends on his/her current activities. And, I get disgusted by what Bill has been doing for his wife. If there is any way to impeach a president retrospectively, Bill qualifies for that.

You, liar Bill, talk to any of the retired presidents and get some advice from them. You're bringing disgrace for them too.

January 22, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. William Arnone

Is it possible that Obama has never forgiven Bill Clinton for campaigning for Bobby Rush when Obama challenged him in a Democratic primary for Congress in 2000?

January 22, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  11. Beth

Michelle Obama has attacked Hillary last August she said "how can she run the white house if she cant even run her personal household." But noooo that gets no press....

January 22, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  12. rw

Bill and Hillary are a modern age political couple. She as first lady redefined the role, and now he is redefining the role of an ex-president participating as he is in her campaign. How unfortunate that some Americans are so retrograde in wanting to hold people to established molds. Americans can sometimes be so simple minded, really.

January 22, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  13. Bernie Moore-Knowles

I have to say that after viewing the debate last night, I will vote Republican if Hillary (and Bill) Clinton are the nominee(s) for the Democratic party. I am a long time, registered Independent and have never voted Republican. I will this time, if the Clintons are the nominee. A sad day for us all – if it happens.

Obama – 2008

January 23, 2008 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  14. Connie

Could it be that (Clinton) is jealous of Obama? Is it his youth? Is it is intelligence? Dare Obama be able to do what the Clinton presidency could not accomplish? Is it the fact that if Obama gets elected in the major election, he will REALLY be the first black president and Bill will have to give up his seat at Sylvia's? Hate to do it but I have got to go there! Bill' s hostility reeks of other "issues." It seems for me as a black woman I am starting to believe that old belief that when black folks try to get power, white folks are right there to cut them down. This doesn't seem political on the Clinton's part, it's personal. No I don't really believe they are hard core racists, just that dismissive "thing" that I observe coming from some white folks when it's "them or us". I am totally disgusted!

January 23, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. La Mayimba

Let's nominate John Edwards. As far as I'm concerned, he is the best candidate – the person who actually reflects a Democratic platform and the spirit of America. I admit that HIllary is the most articulate, but the negative campaigning on her part, as well as Obama's has turned me off to both. As to Barack, I would love to WANT to support him, but he is not at all convincing. He doesn't SAY anything. So nominate John, period.

January 23, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. Ace

I have been a Clinton supporter for last 16 years, through all the stuff he was involved in through the presidency. But there behavior lately, has made me rethink whether I really want to support these guys any more.

I think It is time for change – I am switching to Obama

January 24, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  17. myob

It still boggles the mind how blind & gullable the human race can be. Lets see,
    woman are voting for someone that has more baggage than all the airports
    on this planet, and there reason – well she's a woman.
    Oh and lets not forget her husband who lied to the American People in such a convincing manner, with whom all the airhead women go goo goo ga ga over.
    Then if your black, you are most likely going to vote for the black candidate
    only because you share the same skin pigmentation. Sounds like racism and genderism to me, rather than anything to do with a logical thoughful thinking process. The fighting thats happening between the two main democrat candidates reminds me of when I was in kindergarten. You did this, you did that,
    you are lying – no you are. How ridiculous, or do they really understand how uneducated and naive the American People have become?. If anyone who is voting for the female candidate would take the time to read up on her past while at the Whitehouse, I think anyone who would vote for H.R.C. is brain dead.

January 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. Trannon

Obama is a joke and Republican plant.

Bill Clinton didn't say his campaign was a "fairy tale", but I will - OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN IS A FAIRY TALE.

Clinton is the real thing. PROVEN, TRIED & TESTED.

January 24, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Pat

From Superbowl commercials, it's clear to see that Obama is running for "King of the World," while Hillary is running for President of the U.S.

And yes, he may be running against what he perceives as Bill Clinton's excellent record, at least psychologically; or his campaign who previously worked for Clinton decided to make it more interesting and define the strategy against the only person they knew they had to beat – miscalculating who was running for President.

An ill-defined candidate, or a campaign seeking the wrong target may not be able to deliver the anticipated Superbowl Patriots win they want if they are outplayed by a team like the Giants who walked away with the bragging rights of upsetting a team who had won every game except the championship game.

In this case, the game is the Presidency, not King of the World and vision restricted to that office, and that opponent would show a sign that Obama knows what planet Americans are on, and where they reside.

February 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |