January 22nd, 2008

Real People, Real Issues: Eight Super Tuesday states in six days!

The CNN Election Express is heading across the country.
The CNN Election Express is heading across the country.

ABOARD THE ELECTION EXPRESS, South Carolina (CNN) – The country is at war, the economy is stalling, and the presidential candidates are fighting over everything from universal health care to illegal immigration.

The Democratic and Republican White House hopefuls are offering their plans, but is America listening? Over the next six days we will search for that answer, and provide Americans an opportunity to say what’s on their minds as the CNN Election Express motors from Myrtle Beach to Los Angeles.

For the past year, if you lived in Iowa or New Hampshire, South Carolina or Nevada, chances are you bumped into Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney, John McCain or Barack Obama.

These states have made their voices heard - except for South Carolina’s Democrats, who vote on Saturday - but were the voters in Alabama or New Mexico listening?

The candidates had better hope so. Voters in these states and 22 others head to the polls on February 5, when 1,681 Democratic and 1020 Republican delegates are up for grabs.

This is no planned tour. We are going to make unscheduled stops in little towns and big cities, truck stops and diners. When we pull over, CNN’s Ali Velshi will be jumping off the bus to hear what’s on voters’ minds, while I blog along the way.

We begin our journey in South Carolina, and end in California: 2,600 miles and the lives and stories of millions of Americans lie in-between.

So, tune into CNN and The Ticker throughout the day and night for the latest from the road.

– CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

1. John

Were listening and watching and wondering if they will stop arguing long enough to tell us what they truly believe they can accomplish if they are elected instead of just the usual "elect me and I'll..." statements.

January 22, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  2. Dennis C. Pangan

Barrack Obama is too raw for the job ahead now that the United States is experiencing economic downturn. A Clinton-Obama is a formidable ticket which can win landslide in all states, and that what the Republicans fear so much. An Obama candidate can easily beaten by any Republican candidate as they will hammer out the preparedness of the Democratic candidate. This is the chance of the Democrats to get control of the White House and only a Clinton nomination can make that happen.

Dennis C. Pangan of Manila, Philippines

January 22, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. A Chapman

I think that under the present circumstances in this country, the candidates need to stick to the issues at hand; the war, bringing our troops home, the high price of gas;the growing recession;the high rate of unemployment;healthcare and education. We need a leader for all, not just one race. We don't need someone who can compete the way it is usually done. We need a "New Way" New Plan of Action". I feel that the best candidate is who should be the next president not matter if it is a woman, or Africian American man. I am a 47-year old Africian American woman and that is my thoughts on the recent debates, and news blogs.

January 22, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  4. deaflefty1

Hey guys and gals,

Don't vote for these braing kids..Barack and hillary..Vote for John Edwards..the provider of most of the best ideas for post election progress..

he will pick up the pieces after Band H self destruct, and whip the republicans in the real election in November !!!

January 22, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  5. Mark- Hoboken, NJ

I wonder if Hillary is going to turn on the tears again, sniff, "I want so much for this country, that my husband and I will lie like crazy to get elected"

January 22, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. helen

How tragic it is that we have created such a system that our candidates have no choice but to run around the country spending millions of dollars and totally exhausting themselves just to garner a few votes.
    I have no real answers, but I truly wish we could create a more humane and intelligent way to vet the candidates. I'm sure they wish so too.

January 22, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. JohnS

The very "women and Latino/Latina minorities" who are now on the side of Hillary will be the ones crying tomorrow when the Republicans are done with the Clintons and taken back the White House for another 8 years.

Well, here will be some of the goodbys: Roe v Wade is gone; Rights of Minorities will be set back another decade, to name but a few.

No one on this blog really believes the Republican machine will allow the Clintons to get back to that White House, after all the past scandals to this nation. May God Bless us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  8. Helen in Mormon Mecca ~Nauvoo, IL

Maybe they all need a good book to read..."When Salt Lake City Calls: Is there a conflict between Mormonism and the public trust?" by Rocky Hulse

January 22, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. Trannon

I believe that only Hillary Clinton can hit the ground running, devour all the negativity and spit it out, and restore our nation back to its standing in the world, economic stability and inject a progressive agenda to carry us into the future.

Obama is too young and cocky, inexperienced and exclusionary.

Edwards needs to be named Vice-President to Hillary and given a HUGE share of responsibility.

The Republicans need to wake up and come quietly into the future or fade into oblivion.

They are the party of decay.

The Democrats need to re-engerize their party, unite with the Greens and become the choice of the future - HILLARY can do what Bill never could in the 90s.

Go Hillary! CLINTON/EDWARDS '08

January 23, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  10. Lisa

I want to vote for the person who will put the American People needs first before anyone or anything else, As americans struggle to find their voice in this sometimes complicated goverment system we have, I think we should always expect that our elected leaders will take care of their own first.

January 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. pmac

If obama can't stand up to Shrill Hill just think of what the repugs will do to him

Vote Edwards –He can stand up to the corporations he'll sue them!!

VOTE SMART
    VOTE EDWARDS

January 23, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  12. The Observer

"Daniel Amde, DESMOINES, IOWA January 22, 2008 6:27 pm ET

Ditto that. I am a democrat and if hillay get the nomination, I will vote for a republican. "

Amazing all these so-called "democrats" who will vote republican – is that because they are really republicans and not democrats in the first place?

January 23, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. David

I admit that I voted for Bill Clinton twice. I am sick, sick, sick of Bill Clinton now. I am sick of his rantings and the way he goes on. It is reminiscent of his "I did not have sex with that woman" and "It depends on what the definition of is IS." Today's lashing out to make it seem like he is not bringing race and such things into his hitting the trail for his wife is just the same the old Bill Clinton.

As a Democrat, I vow to vote for anyone other than Hillary Clinton if she is my party's nominee. Anyone. I will not vote to put Bill Clinton back in the White House.

January 23, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. Truth

Obama should change to the Republican party. They would welcome him with open arms. He wold bring 50 percent of the black vote with him and the democrats would be dead for 50 years. His ideas are ideas of change and the dems don't understand change, they hate it, detest it. Listen to them as Obama attempts to explain change. They just laugh at him as they look back to the future.

January 23, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. GaryO Virginia Beach

CNN is prone to exaggeration. I looked at the video, and I did not see where Bill Clinton “lashed out.” Bill Clinton did not look upset to me, but he did make some good points.

I think it’s amazing the way the press and others are so intent on babysitting Barack Obama. You of the press are doing your best to usher Obama through the primaries and into the general election.

CNN, and other media outlets are exploiting this campaign as much as possible to increase ratings and market share. Obama is a black man running for President. That’s the biggest story you have, and you want to make it last. Hillary is a woman running for president. That’s a pretty good story, but not as good as Obama. And poor John Edwards, arguably the most capable candidate against the Republicans, has been totally pushed aside by the press because his candidacy just will not generate enough interest.

The news media has totally abandoned its social conscious and replaced it with a lust for market share.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like being MANIPULATED by the press.

VOTE NOT OBAMA !!

January 23, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Steve in Los Angeles

If Hillary wins the Democratic primary, the Left loses big. Once every generation we get an inspirational leader who produces a significant shift in the way the country thinks and acts. Barack Obama could accomplish that shift, like JFK did to the left and Ronald Reagan did to the right. If Hillary wins, we get more NAFTA, "don't ask don't tell" and other Republican-lite policies. Most of all, if Hillary wins, the Democrats miss out on the opportunity to truly inspire and revitalize America.

January 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Shari

This country really needs help in all areas, I work at a large hospital in my area and meet families everyday from all parts of the country today it happened to be NY, north Carolina, and I am in PA we talked on gas prices, house prices and actual pay it was sad to see how we all were hurting and see how a person from PA could probably never afford to live in NY.... I believe in change and know it won't be easy but Obama seems like he will see things from all angles and I prayer he is the one. HILARY i AM SORRY BUT LOOKS RICH, ACTS SNOBBY AND SHE just rubs me personally the wrong way.

OBAMA supporter