January 22nd, 2008

Hillary Clinton: Obama is 'frustrated'

Hillary Clinton said Barack Obama came looking for a fight last night.
Hillary Clinton said Barack Obama came looking for a fight last night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that Barack Obama came to Monday night’s CNN debate looking to spark a brawl.

“He telegraphed it, he talked about it – he clearly came last night looking for a fight, and was determined and launched right in,” she said at a Washington press conference on economic issues.

“I think what we saw last night was that he’s very frustrated – Sen. Obama is very frustrated. The events of the last 10 or so days, particularly the outcomes in New Hampshire and Nevada, have apparently convinced him to adopt a different strategy,” said the New York senator.

Obama’s comments last night, she said, “were so rehearsed that he kept on insisting that I had mentioned President Reagan in what I had said, when I didn't mention President Reagan.”

She also repeated allegations that Obama had said in 2004 he agreed with George Bush on the way the president was waging war. Obama disputes the claim, saying that the Clinton campaign is deliberately distorting his comments from that period.

Shortly after Clinton spoke, her campaign sent reporters a memo containing half a dozen unrelated charges against Obama, including the charge, based on a recent news report, that he “represented now-indicted influence peddler Tony Rezko in his efforts to develop government-subsidized slum housing.”

The Obama campaign has denied links to any illegal activities on the part of the Chicago businessman, and has said it would reject all contributions linked to him.

Related: Watch Sen. Clinton discuss Sen. Obama's debate demeanor

–CNN's Mike Roselli and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. tiredofbickring

I am really frustrated after what I saw in democratic debates yesterday. I was ready to vote for Barack Obama, however now I am not so sure anymore.
    I really liked him as he showed me that he could stand the scrutiny of the other politicians and still feel for the whole country. He came as a "breath of fresh air" as we all are sick and tired of all the lies and deceit of the government.
    I hate to admit this but I dont think Barack is ready for this. He does not provide the truth about what is going on. And media is not doing any justice by not providing the truth either. At this point, If Hillary wins the nomination, I am going to either vote for a republican candidate or Mayor Bloomburg if he runs. If Barack improves and stop engaging in the petty fights with Hillary and also provides the firm evidence of what is his record, I still have time to change my mind.

January 22, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Andrea Texas

While we grow, we make mistakes. When we make mistakes, we don't need to be judged by others. So knock it off – all of us! The world of politics was and is what it is. Why are we shocked and offended that the candidates are in disagreement and argue? I have followed politics since I was 9 years old (total of 34 yrs).
    There is nothing different or shocking, except our bad attitudes as Americans. We Americans deserve a President with considerable experience and wisdom to lead this country.
    Not one that is worried about giving the big corporations huge tax breaks so the average American can take up their slack. For a Republican, there is never enough money to help the less than fortunate. However, we need to sacrifice since the Corporations, Oil Companies and Insurance Companies get their undeserved breaks.
    Or, the kind of President that says "Get it right the 1st time." Excuse me, Sir, but you need to join the human race.
    Mr. Obama sounds like an Excellent Attorney, and I would hire him in a millisecond if I needed representation. As President, he is not ready.
    Senator Clinton has the integrity, knowledge, wisdom, intelligence as well as an uncompromising willingness to help. Your supporters are very proud of you Senator Clinton.

January 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  3. Joeley Reno, Nevada

Compare their records and you will see immediately who will make the best President.

HILLARY CLINTON 2008!

January 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. Daniel

Obama supporters are going crazy! I love it.

Hillary all the way.

January 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  5. Bob

You would be frustrated too if your opposition basically lies about you and has the former impeached President who lied to federal prosecutors lying on you too. I am frustrated for Obama as he runs against Bill and Hillary Clinton who are the favorites to win the nomination given the Super-delegate votes.

January 22, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. stan pitts pa

hillary supporters are very delusional! who are you voting for bill or hillary? i think she does a huge disservice to feminism! obama 08!

January 22, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. votehillary2008

I totally agree that Obama started this circus by playing the race card in New Hampshire. He was fine when he won Iowa, then he lost his cool when he was upset in NH. He really was naive enough to think his "change/hope/vision" rhetoric was going to let him sweep the primary. When that didn't happen, his surrogates resorted to racial talking points that has hurt his campaign and divided the country more.

Say what you will about Hillary and Bill, but they have not said anything racial. Those comments were misconstrued to suit Obama and not all African-Americans are fooled. Many are insulted that Obama thinks he can take us for granted, incite us with accusations of race, then ignore the issues plaguing our community.

By the way... Obama's claim of working "5 hours" for Rezko was so lame! That was worse than "I didn't inhale." He would've been better off not responding just like she ignored the corporate lawyer and Wal-Mart comment. Hillary kicked his butt last night. Obama's attack was a bad move. I think that will turn into his "Howard Dean" moment.

Vote Hillary!

January 22, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. IA. Democrat

Senator Obama is fine candidate and a decent man. He is highly intelligent, capable and committed to bringing our nation together to meet the challenges we face today.

I believe he understands that power gives up nothing without a struggle. He further realizes that in order to win the chance to change America, he must first confront, then overtake the hateful tactics that are being used to tear down his cause and message of hope.

January 22, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  9. Surge

Obama is frustrated that he got caught mischarachterizing other peoples comments. He even misquoted himself!

January 22, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  10. Dan

GO HILLARY ! you have my vote ! You are the only person in this election that can put this economy back on track ! Others do not have your experience nor dedication ! GO HILLARY ! Others just have "words". You have action !

A great speaker doesn't make for a great president. Anyone can read a que card. However, Hillary has what it takes to make this country "great again" !

January 23, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  11. Ginger

Hillary is this the kind of screeeeching we can expect if you are possibly elected president. I think you are not truthful and out of control. You are an emotional wreck and you are pimping the american public by crying one day and lying the next.

January 23, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  12. Alexandrina Slev

I really like to hear from you saying: ONE NATION UNDER GOOD, or I believe in the Only Livin Good witch create Us. I don't say you are muslim your believ is between you and God and I don't juge you I like to vote for you but I do not knou your faith witch is very inportant for the JOB you are fighting for.Without God you can't do nothing.

January 23, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. Nerakami

Anyone who thinks that this is all ok is very mistaken... if Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama are mis-representing the Truth now, if they are deliberately manipulating information to make the other candidate seem incompetent, is doing the American people a huge dis-service !!!! Do we not have the democratic right to choose the best candidate based on truthful information & factual data regarding their experience and character? How then can we get so caught up in these people's drama and lose sight of what is at stake? If we cannot trust the media to give us the information then we should do our own investigations and share the TRUTH (ONLY) with each other. This is not a game, nor is this a joke.... we fell prey to this same kind of garbage and ended up with George Bush. If they lie now, they will look us in the face as President and Lie! Learn from our past mistakes... yes experience is critical but integrity of character is paramount as only then can we truly be democratic... we the people knowing the truth about what we face as a nation will be an integral part of democratically deciding what path we should take...
    May we awake from our sleep and slumber...

January 23, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  14. Dan L.

I am a 53 year old lifelong democrat. If Hillary wins the nomination, I'll vote Republican for the 1st time. She has knowingly lied about Obama's comments which is just inexcusable, period.

January 23, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  15. Revale 4

Has anyone thought about the fact that many many countries do not see women in the same way as we do in America? Most women do not hold the same rights as men in alot of the countries that we are at "war" with. As a women, i have seen countless times where my husbands opinion was taken more seriously, for example, the mechanic...so, do you think that these countries and their leaders and their terror organizations would maybe feel that as a country, we are less protected, more vulnerable, because a woman is in "power", considering they view women as "less" than men? I think its dangerous territory.

January 25, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |