January 23rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's Republican comments in radio ad

Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.
Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.

(CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a radio ad in South Carolina Wednesday that targets Barack Obama's recent comments on the Republican Party – her campaign’s latest effort to capitalize on the Illinois senator’s recent remarks.

The spot highlights a portion of his recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asks.. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have repeatedly raised those comments on the campaign trail. Obama's campaign has said the two are mischaracterizing the original comments.

Responding to the radio ad, Obama spokesman Bill Burton called the ad a "negative, dishonest attack."

“In her newest negative, dishonest attack, Clinton claims that Obama praised Republican ideas apparently in an attempt to obscure her record of voting for Republican ideas like bankruptcy, NAFTA and, of course, the war in Iraq," he said.

"That fact that Hillary Clinton has praised Ronald Reagan and supported some of the very worst Republican ideas just underscores that she will say or do anything to get elected,” said Burton.

The Clinton campaign maintained the ad was straightforward.

"This ad straightforwardly uses Sen. Obama’s own words in his own voice saying the Republican Party was the party of ideas for the past 10-15 years," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said. "We can understand why the Obama campaign would be frustrated with that. The bottom line is that Sen. Clinton is running for president in order to replace those ideas with new ones like jumpstarting our economy, creating jobs and protecting people’s homes."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
soundoff (1,035 Responses)
  1. Rick

Anyone see any irony in Clinton supporters talking about Obama crying?

January 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. Tom

Everyone wants to jump on the Clinton for lying, but it seems to me Barack Hussein Obama is the only one lying. Watch the video on single payer health care, he was caught red handed in a lie. You can't blame the Clinton campaign for highlighting his lies. As far as the Reagan comment, Obama said it. He needs to start owning up to his mistakes.

January 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. Rafi, NY NY

This is so absurd. Notice how the Clinton spokeswoman didn't provide a real argument against those comments being mischaracterized, she just repeated them. AND how she didn't respond to Obama's point that Hillary herself has praised Reagan and voted for Republican ideas. Looking at the back and forth, it's obvious which side has substance in their comments and which side just relies on shallow, emotional words.

Why is it that the only way Clinton can campaign is by distorting the truth?

I've been undecided and I still am, but every time she opens her mouth I lean more and more toward Obama. And if she gets the nomination, I may vote Republican for the first time.

January 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. Diana

Get the hook!

January 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. NZ

Obama is very eloquent in his speeches. But that's about it! This is not what being president is all about. He seems to whine everytime there is a so-called "attack." GROW UP OBAMA!!!! This is a big boy's campaign and if you can't take the heat, then get out of the campaign. Obama is very immature and is just not cut out to be a politician, much more a president. This is what politics is all about, even back when it got started in Greece. You fight and make your case and you point out the incompetencies of the opponent. AND NO ONE IS FLAWLESS. Especially Hillary! but we all must put aside our differences and choose an experienced, tactical, aggressive, yet compasionate candidate that will be the best president and the best thing for our country. So to all those who are being blinded by a nice speech, when you choose a president, you better choose someone who can handle it. Hillary will win in the rest of the primaries (except for S.C. of course). So jump on the wagon with the rest of us who wants what is best for our country. Vote Hillary!

January 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. Tim, Los Angeles

I watched the interview in question on video and Obama was recognizing the impact that Reagan had but in no way was endorsing any of the ideas Reagan had. I would encourage people to watch the entire video before parroting the Clinton smear campaign.
    I'm rapidly losing any respect that I had for President Clinton because of the 'Rovian' tactics that their campaign has used on Obama. I never thought that I would consider voting for a Republican but the nastiness of the Clintons smear campaign is pushing me, and other Democrats I know, into considering this.
    There is only one candidate that can unite the Republican party and that is Hillary.

January 23, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. john burso

Wow. How do these Clinton folks live with themselves? Such dishonesty......

Count me out. I'm a lifelong Democrat and John McCain can count on me.

/s

January 23, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. JB Hull, IA

wow. The only thing I can conclude is that Hillary and her supporters are either complete idiots or being intentionally deceptive. Obama's point, which has actually been articulated in much progressive literature of late (such as the book "Don't think of an elephant!") is that republicans have won by taking strong "idea" stands and fighting ideological, not policy battles. Obama's point is that democrats can and should start fighting in this "arena of ideas" too, and that he thinks he is someone who can build a bipartisan coalition around these progressive ideas. Is Hillary really too dumb to understand? I doubt it. So the only other conclusion I can draw is that she is lying through her teeth

January 23, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Dave

Please make the Clinton's go away, they are making my head hurt.

January 23, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  10. Freedom of Speech

Go Hillary 2008!

January 23, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. get truth guy

give me a break, Mr. Hussion Obama! is this the way you are going to unite the parties by praise Republican president? Wrong! We are sick & tired on Republican, they make the poors even poorer and richers evne richer!

January 23, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. D

They are HIS words............... Whats the matter ? He will learn that EVERYTHING he says ... is fuel ... As he uses her words against her , so will HIS WORDS be used against him.. It is an ELECTION ... duh ...

January 23, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. YoMama

Hillary is such a shameless liar who will do anything to win. This woman doesn't deserve to be elected dogcatcher.

January 23, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. kahu

Hillary 08!

January 23, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. gina

Has anyone asked the clintons about Ron Burkle? Or the chinese donor that gave tons of money to both of them that is now in jail..Bill is the most pathetic president in the world.

January 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. John Wilson

I sent HIllary a contribution, now I want it back. "Billary" has again made a mockery of the Presidency, stooped to the level of the lowest of the low in politics, and betrayed both the Black community and women in her disgraceful attacks on Barack Obama. This is NOT the "change" we Independents are after. For me, in November, Obama will get my vote (or the Republican candidate, if Billary is the Nominee).

January 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  17. AB

I used to really really appreciate what the Clinton's has done for the United States. I never understood what everyone meant when they said the Clinton's would do what it took to get elected. I defended them but now, I see what they meant. I'm so frustrated with Hillary Clinton and the path she has chosen. At one point, I would have been proud to support any of the top tier Democratic candidates. That's no longer the case as my respect for Hillary Clinton has absolutely eroded. The United States NEEDS Barack Obama to win.

If Hillary wins the nomination, I'll vote for her over the other republicans, but it will be how it always is...as a choice between the lesser of who cares. I will vote out of obligation rather than inspiration and hope. But lets hope America gets this right.

OBAMA '08

January 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  18. Ron

Please America, don't vote for Hillary.

This ad is just her latest distortion of the truth. Even though he addressed this issue specifically in the debate, and said he did not believe the Republican ideas were good ideas, she is running this ad to make it look like he supported Republicans, which is patently false.

Hillary has no interest in changing American politics or uniting people. She is only interested in votes and power. She will divide the country and continue her negative, dishonest politics. Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton...that is what the four most recent Presidents will look like if Hillary gets elected.

Does that look like change?

January 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  19. Vince Los Angeles, CA

democracy? January 23, 2008 1:02 pm ET

The problem is that Obama's own words, in the context, in the way how he said them, opened a door for alternative interpretation. He tried to appeal the indepedents and republicans, but went to far so as to run the risk of loosing his democratic basis.

The "problem" is exemplified in this post......the people supporting Hillary are UNEDUCATED, ILLITERATE, UNINFORMED, UNCOUTH and IGNORANT......I will NEVER vote for Hillary Clinton no matter WHO she is running against if the Democratic party puts her up as the Democratic nominee...futhermore, I will IMMEDIATELY change my party to Independant. I will not be a party to such ignorance.

January 23, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. Stella

I was going to vote for Hillary, but she has now lost my vote.

Look at where George Bush's lies got us. If she blatantly lies and manipulates the truth in a primary race, what will she do if she's in the White House??

This is disgusting.
    Obama- you have my vote. Period.

January 23, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Not a smart move in the slightest.

All this does is remind people why they don't like her.

Obama campaign has to love the fact that Team Hillary has taken the bait and come out swinging against them. This conduct, combined with her hostile attitude in the recent South Carolina debate, should effectively erase any goodwill that Hillary attained with her little crying spell in New Hampshire.

January 23, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. JJ

As I recall, it was Hillary that was the crybaby a few weeks ago!!

Hillary, I hope your negative campaigning turns against you!!!

Go, Obama!!!!

January 23, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  23. Caden

You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY, Sidharth! Hilliarry and Slick Willy have now divided the Democratic party utterly and beyond repair – opening up an easy victory for the Republicans in the fall (I'm sure not voting for hillary the liar anymore). My prediction – Hillary gets the nomination because of all the stoopid dems out there, and McCain wins in November because a LOT of dems are DISGUSTED with the Clintons right now. Then – in 2012 – Obama claims his rightful place as leader and uniter of this country.

January 23, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. A,M

Seriously what a shame b/n clinton's and Obama's confrontation. but thing is , when she tried to attack Obama , did any heard that booooo ing from the crowd ? am just curious , how does it feel to be booooooo ed like that .

am still undecided but am thinking towards Obama but i am not satisfied yet ? i am hungry to hear more from the IL's senetator Barack Obama.

January 23, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  25. Joe Fattal

While Hillary and Obama feud continues. The republicans going to ease their way to the White House

January 23, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |