January 23rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's Republican comments in radio ad

Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.
Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.

(CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a radio ad in South Carolina Wednesday that targets Barack Obama's recent comments on the Republican Party – her campaign’s latest effort to capitalize on the Illinois senator’s recent remarks.

The spot highlights a portion of his recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asks.. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have repeatedly raised those comments on the campaign trail. Obama's campaign has said the two are mischaracterizing the original comments.

Responding to the radio ad, Obama spokesman Bill Burton called the ad a "negative, dishonest attack."

“In her newest negative, dishonest attack, Clinton claims that Obama praised Republican ideas apparently in an attempt to obscure her record of voting for Republican ideas like bankruptcy, NAFTA and, of course, the war in Iraq," he said.

"That fact that Hillary Clinton has praised Ronald Reagan and supported some of the very worst Republican ideas just underscores that she will say or do anything to get elected,” said Burton.

The Clinton campaign maintained the ad was straightforward.

"This ad straightforwardly uses Sen. Obama’s own words in his own voice saying the Republican Party was the party of ideas for the past 10-15 years," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said. "We can understand why the Obama campaign would be frustrated with that. The bottom line is that Sen. Clinton is running for president in order to replace those ideas with new ones like jumpstarting our economy, creating jobs and protecting people’s homes."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
soundoff (1,035 Responses)
  1. Matt

As a Independant leaning Democrat, I once held Bill in high regard, and Hillary with at least the belief that she was as capable as anyone else with regards to the intelligence needed to be president. I can now say that I will not vote for her in the general election, as the more I hear from the dastardly duo, the more I am sickened to my stomach at the thought of Hill as president. If she weasels the nomination, I have no doubt she will be defeated in the general election, and the Democratic party will be left in shambles by her 'All about me' attitude, not likely to recover for some time, as the wounds the Clintons are cutting are going to be deep. I didn't think it possible that someone could be more polarizing than Georgie, but she has a good start.

As to the 'Crybaby' calls by Hills rabid supporters about Obama, that's pretty funny considering being a weakling weeper is how she seems to have convinced people she's not just a conniving slimebag who will do or say anything to be President of our once great nation.

January 23, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Jules

Well, honesty has never been a Clinton strength. They're smart and committed, but we can't say honest. A week ago I felt that all three Deocratic Candidates could and should play a significant role in the next administration. Together, they are three of the brightest, most dedicated, and most promising to lead our nation. Today, It's down to two. When it comes down to it, I can't support a candidate who is intentionally negative and divisive and misleads the public, no matter how good her Health Care initiative is. After last Monday's debate, I went online to watch the interview Obama gave that she has set her sights on targeting him over. In context, it was very clear what he was saying, and the nod he gave to Reagan and his party was not only mild, but was not in reference to issues so much as action. They were able to get the things they wanted done to a large extent in a way Dems have not, and that includes during the Clinotn years. So much was possible, but personal scandals got in the way. We need a new direction now. We can't go backward. I just hope the divisive nature of these attacks does not hurt the Dems chances to win in November. I doubt HRC is keeping that in mind. The strategy she is using will divide the party and the more negative she gets, the better MsCain will look to Independents. I hope all three will start talking about what they're for and not who they're against. Keep Hoping.

January 23, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Virtual Incumbents!

Dynasticism! "George H. W. Bush left office to be followed by two terms of Bill Clinton. He, in turn, was followed by two terms of Bush's son. If those two terms of the son are followed by the election of Clinton's wife, I don't see where that's a good thing for the country. It ceases to be a fluke and grows into a pattern. It's dynasticism."

MS. NOONAN (Meet The Press, Jan 20th):

"We haven't mentioned it, but there is this Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton–I've called it a sickness. It is an odd way for a great democracy to comport itself in this strange–we have dynasties now backed by lobbyists, backed by machines and machinery. The fact that America's doing this is giving so many people pause. It us unlike us. And I cannot help but think, as some people come forward and endorse on the Democratic side Mrs. Clinton, they must be thinking stop the dynasty. I know Republicans are thinking stop the dynasties."

If we don't want dynasticism, we have to vote against dynastic candidates.

ABC '08

January 23, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. bsr

OBAMA SUPPORTERS-Good Comments

Let's go out and talk to everybody! Let's neutralize the deception of the Clinton's!

OBAMA, STAY POSITIVE AND STICK TO THE ISSUES!

January 23, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Thomas

We've always known the Clintons would be calculating in destroying Obama. People have said you dont cross the Clintons without having the scares to show for it. The Clintons would throw everything at this guy. And even if means sending the Clinton attack dogs including Bill to tell blunt faced Lies, they would do whatever it takes to become president.
    I wont want to be the guy that crosses the Clinton.

January 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Carolyn

If he is not afraid to tell the truth ....just where does his allegiance lie....

January 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Dan, NJ

Paul, Atlanta,

I think it is exceedingly liberal for Democrats to not vote Democratic if they feel the Democratic nominee is a dishonest, power hungy, divisive, egomaniac who will be ready to take on the job on Day 1... the job of getting herself re-elected.

Anyone true to his/her principles, liberal or otherwise, will reject these politics of ambition.

January 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Pete

As African American I would vote one who might understand our black issues; that is if there was not one who is black. No more Clintons who represent cheaters, liars, adulterers, shrewd and arrogant politicians.

January 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. James springfield mo

Go get um hill knock him on his but.

January 23, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Ava in TX

Hillary distorts the truth. This issue has already been discussed during the debate. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HER! She will lose a lot of voters if she continues with this nonsense.

OBAMA '08

January 23, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. Anonymous

*****
    scott January 23, 2008 2:50 pm ET

candidates for 2008 until I began to research Kucinich. Originally I thought I might support Hillary Clinton, but she has said and done a lot of things that have pissed me off. Then I looked to Barack .I am definately voting for him. He is not afraid to tell the truth!
    *****
    Sen. Clinton has the conviction to go after Obama on Regan commment he made. I applaud her for that. She is not like a floppy who is bending to pollster and I like that attitude.

You can vote for Obama and go on the war path he is planning such as sending troops into Pakistan. Not that it matters. But I feel US has had enough war for a while.

Regan is best left alone in today's politics and may god give him his peace. No need for Sen. Obama to start making statements about him, to make Regan turning and tossing in heaven.

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Rich In Seattle

Does Hillary have Karl Rove on her campaign or something! The sad thing is these sort of attacks seem to work. How sad for America that we only elect those that are the best in deceiving us. I am so tired of the Bush politics and am so disappointed that Hillary has decided to use them in order to win. Will Hillary use these same Bush tactics once in office as well?

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Dem In VA

Wake up fellow Dems - the election in November is not going to be all rainbows and butterflies. This will be a tough win for the Dems. We need to go with either John Edwards or Hillary. Obama will be eaten alive by the Repubs.

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. S

Vote Juan MC cain mean vote for Billary 2 political insider whos sold out America to sweat labor ,bush ,juan billary some gola SUPER NAFTA open border

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. O.A.

I think we should start a petition for all the members in the democratic party who will refuse to support Hillary Clinton for President if she wins the nomination. We can then send this to Howard Dean of the DNC, and to the Clinton's as well. What do yall think. We should do this now before it actually happens in hope of saving the Democratic party.

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. Nelson

THE CLINTONS NEED TO GO, AND THEY ARE DOING A GOOD JOB AT THEIR OWN IMPLOSION.
    OBAMA JUST GOT MY VOTE AND MANY OTHERS, AND IF BY CHANCE OR CROOKERY ITS A CLINTON NOMINATION, THE REPUBLICNAS GOT MY VOTE.

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Aaron

Hillary Clinton and her husband could outpace Mr. Bush with their constant lies and "stretching of the truth." I am an independent and I will either vote for McCain or Obama. This country needs a honest leader that will tell people the truth.

January 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. George - Dallas Texas

Hillary tells us that Obama is liar and says one thing but does another.

I'm sorry but her biggest supporter (Slick Billy) is proven liar and showed us time after time that he isn't to be trusted. So my thing is if Bill and Hills say Obama is a liar, are we to believe them.

We tried that remember....."I did not have sexual relations with that woman"....

My advise to Hills is run your own campaign and keep your mouth shut on the honestly issue....your hubby's track record on the subject stinks. And if you are in agreement with him – We are going to have really question yours.

Signed Undecided

January 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. HILLARYLOVER NY NY

How can people say that Bill and Hillary are dividing the Democratic Party. They don't divide the party–we do! If we don't want a divided party, there won't be. I wish all the people would realize that. What do you think would happen with a black man and a woman running. These are two different people who appeal to many different factions in the Democratic party. Those people will naturally split to support the candidate of their choice and come together in the general election. All of the people who say they will vote Republican now are just saber rattling. I can't honestly believe that a LIFE LONG democrat as what is being described here by many would choose to vote for any republican over a democratic nominee. To do so would mean that your support was never unwavering and you truly aren't a committed democrat.

We can never lose focus on what is the real goal and that is to have a Democrat in the White House. If you happen to end up with another republican in office and they screw up look in the mirror.

HILLARY 08 AND BEYOND!

January 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. Christlyn Robinson

Hillary is playing a very dangerous game with the Democratic Party. I used to like both her and Bill but since the primaries have started i've been seeing a very shady side to the both of them. It's ugly and disgusting. She not only is trying to divide the party , but also African Americans as well as African Americans and Whites. She also need to remember that her own record is not a good one and if she gets to run for president on the democratic ticket, the Republicans are going to eat her alive. The only difference between what they are going to do to her and what she is doing to Sen. Obama is that what they say about her will be true.

January 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. Kim

Here's the thing... I've been a supporter of Bill Clinton since he first came on to the national political scene and I have always maintained that regardless of his personal activities he was one the best presidents that the United States has ever had.

That being said, the longer this race goes on the less I like Hillary Clinton. While I would love to see a woman in the white house, I certainly don't want it to be her. I am without a doubt supporting Obama... and will only vote for Hillary if I absolutely have to – if it's her or a republican then I guess she's the lesser of two evils.

January 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Tyler

How can Obama create change and unity when he acts like George Bush. You know why he is like George Bush?

Both dont want to be help accountable for their actions. Obama isnt perfect folks, but im sure more people would respect him if he just came out and told us the truth.

January 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Jack

Would it really be so bad if Obama thought Repubicans had some good ideas? I'm not agreeing with Hillary that he said that, but it seems as if Hillary's main motive here is to beat him up for not being divisive enough.

16 years of divisive presidents and political warfare is enough. I don't think we should tolerate it any more, and we don't have to. Time for all the Bush's and all the Clinton's to just "move on".

January 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. jessica

i think its stupid for hillary clinton to pretty much give up on south carolina, there are many african americans here but most of them probably wont even vote, she would have a chance if she would not just give up on states based on race.

January 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. CJ

Well Billery it is nice to see that you see the light; since we need a change: we can have it with a bright young man with sound ideas to improve our country. Yes, we should elect Obama as our next leader to lead us forward, toward new ideas. We are tired of the Republicans, aren’t we?

January 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |