January 23rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's Republican comments in radio ad

Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.
Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.

(CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a radio ad in South Carolina Wednesday that targets Barack Obama's recent comments on the Republican Party – her campaign’s latest effort to capitalize on the Illinois senator’s recent remarks.

The spot highlights a portion of his recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asks.. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have repeatedly raised those comments on the campaign trail. Obama's campaign has said the two are mischaracterizing the original comments.

Responding to the radio ad, Obama spokesman Bill Burton called the ad a "negative, dishonest attack."

“In her newest negative, dishonest attack, Clinton claims that Obama praised Republican ideas apparently in an attempt to obscure her record of voting for Republican ideas like bankruptcy, NAFTA and, of course, the war in Iraq," he said.

"That fact that Hillary Clinton has praised Ronald Reagan and supported some of the very worst Republican ideas just underscores that she will say or do anything to get elected,” said Burton.

The Clinton campaign maintained the ad was straightforward.

"This ad straightforwardly uses Sen. Obama’s own words in his own voice saying the Republican Party was the party of ideas for the past 10-15 years," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said. "We can understand why the Obama campaign would be frustrated with that. The bottom line is that Sen. Clinton is running for president in order to replace those ideas with new ones like jumpstarting our economy, creating jobs and protecting people’s homes."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
soundoff (1,035 Responses)
  1. AJ, California

A,M
    Go to his website and watch a few of his speeches, especially the jefferson-jackson dinner speech. As an independant and a Veteran (USMC VMFA-321) when I heard that speech, I knew that He has a ONCE in a generation mind.
    But what sealed the deal was his Foreign policy presentation on cspan. It should be on you tube, or Obama's website (under speeches). EIther way, This guy is the real deal.

"No more drama, vote Obama!"
    (Hey, I like that one!)

January 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. Chris

"OBAMA CRY BABY"

Are you serious? Who cried when she found out Obama was leading double digits in NH. Funny Clinton Supporters.

January 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. James D.

"Goes negative"??? CNN...you need to get up to speed! This distortion of Obama's comments is MINOR compared to her mailers in NH, the dishonest push polls and Robo calls in NV, etc, etc, etc....all that continues in SC btw.

Hillary is extremely qualified to be POTUS, except ...she is 100% devoid of integrity and honesty. Anyone who would hire Mark Penn to run their campaign...PUHLEASE!
    'nuff said.

January 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. GTL

Thank you HRC for helping me make up my mind.

You were desperate, looked pitiful and on the verge of crying few weeks ago.

People felt sorry for you and gave you confidence.
    Now the 2 state lead you got, got to your head and you start playing dirty.

I'm a die hard democrat but I think I'll be happier to see you defeated than see the Repbulicans booted out of the White House.

You don't get my vote by playing negative politics.

Keep up the dirty game ... you'll continue showing your true color and confirming our reslove not to vote for you.

January 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. Gavin

BARRY OBAMA IS A BIG CRYBABY !!!
    He can't even defend himself against his reckless 'present' votes in the IL. legistlature...
    IT'S ABOUT TIME THE COUNTRY SEE'S PAST THIS SILLY FACADE CALLED "HOPE"....
    We need a strong, experienced leader in the face of Bush's mess-not a monologue from a public speaker.

January 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. Don

I also live in South Carolina. I have been mailed three mailings by Obama this week. He attacks Hillary. So you tell me he is better and how. Just because he whines everytime someone brings up his flimsy record, does not mean that he is not playing the same political games. Thats all I am trying to say. I have read a million times about the Clinton attack machine, well Obama has one also and he has used it over and over. Obama is not the fresh idea canidate you have all been fooled into believing. We need a strong leader, one with experiance. Obama will not be able to work across party lines, its well known he is very liberal, and he will have a tough idea meshing his dream with conservatives. And if he is stuttering and crying over Hillary now, wait till the republicans rip him a new one. Hillary can face that battle, and win.

January 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. player9

Hillary Clinton needs to get a life and learn what ethics is all about. She is running a nasty and disgusting campaign. She had my vote, but not anymore. She needs to worry about why her husband Bill is sleeping during a MLK ceremony and stop lying and distorting the truth about Obama.

Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton (since he is now running again) should stop making the Democratic party look bad. Their lies and tractics and sicking. This is why other countries view us in such a poor light, because of power hungry leaders like them and Bush.

I agree with a statement earlier…

NO MORE DRAMA, VOTE OBAMA

January 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

NOT ONLY HAS HILLARY AND BILL BEEN EXTREMELY CLOSE WITH THE BUSH FAMILY THROUGH THE LAST 7 YEARS, THEY APPARENTLY HAVE LEARNED ALL THE DIRTY, ROTTEN TRICKS OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

THE CLINTON'S TRUE COLORS ARE SHINING THROUGH. HILLARY AND BILL ARE JUST ROYALLY PISSED OFF WITH BARACK OBAMA FOR STEALING THEIR THUNDER AND MAKING THEIR RUN FOR THE WHITE HOUSE MORE OF A WALK OVER HOT BURNING COALS INSTEAD OF A CAKE WALK.

WAS BILL CLINTON REALLY SUCH A GREAT PRESIDENT, OR HAS THE DISASTER OF THE LAST 7 YEARS MADE HIM LOOK GREAT?

YOU MIGHT AS WELL SAY DADDY BUSH WAS A GREAT PRESIDENT IN THAT CASE.

BUT, HOW DID WE GET RIGHT BACK IN THE SAME ECONOMIC MESS WE WERE IN WHEN DADDY BUSH LEFT OFFICE?

THE REPUBLICAN'S COULDN'T WAIT TO WIN BACK THE WHITE HOUSE BACK AFTER BILL CLINTON AND LOOK AT WHAT A MESS THE UNITED STATES IS IN. WELL, YOU BETTER BELIEVE THAT HILLARY AND BILL WILL BE JUST AS BAD FOR AMERICA AS THE BUSH FAMILY HAS BEEN.

JUST LIKE A LOT OF WOMEN IN POWER, HILLARY WILL TRY TO PROVE THAT SHE'S BIGGER, BADDER AND SCARIER THAN ANY MAN, AND THE NUCLEAR WAR WILL BEGIN.

YOU GO GIRL!!!

January 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. Steve, San Ramon, CA

The Clintons are determined to ruin the Democratic Party. I've already renounced my affiliation to the party and many of my friends are in the process of doing the same.

January 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. Val in PA

Why is everyone so surprised that Hillary is doing this? Remember when Obama and Edwards were constantly attacking her a few months back? This is just the way such high-stakes contests go. But when Hillary does it, it's seen as undermining others?

Come on people, this is pure competition and how it normally plays out.

January 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. Michael

It is amusing to read both the negative and positive comments about Hillary's behavior. It is beyond question that she and her husband are liars, so why get so upset or enthralled?

January 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. sb

If Obama loses the nomination, he should run as an independent , to ensure the Clinton's never get back intto the white house.

January 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. Raman, Plano TX

*****
    scott January 23, 2008 2:50 pm ET

candidates for 2008 until I began to research Kucinich. Originally I thought I might support Hillary Clinton, but she has said and done a lot of things that have pissed me off. Then I looked to Barack .I am definately voting for him. He is not afraid to tell the truth!
    *****

Sen. Clinton has the conviction to go after Obama for his Regan statements. I applaud her for that. She is not the one to bend to pressures from pollster and that attitude is admirable.

You can vote for Obama and have US go to another war in Pakistan as mentioned so often by Obama in his election campaign. Not that it matters. But I feel US has had enough wars for a while.

I think it is best for democrats to leave Regan out of politicking. Obama's Regan comments could only make Regan toss and turn in heaven. Let Regan alone and be in peace in heaven.

January 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. columbus

Obama is positive when it comes to Hillary but is relentless in his Republican bashing. We vote. If you're going to win like Presidents Bush and Reagan, you need to appeal to a broad range of voters in the country.

January 23, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Sara

Hilary is after fame, pride and self aggrandizement. For her it is personal; forget America. She wants her name to be a household name in the whole world.
    Will anyone with a right mind for her??????????????????

January 23, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. DMW, Roeland Park, KS

All of the life long Democrats who will not vote for Hillary...so what, who cares. The Democratic party does not need your type anyway. Go vote Republican or stay home. Whatever! Hillary will still win with or without you.

January 23, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Thea B

Hillary – as much as I've always been a big supporter of yours, these constant negative attacks are pushing me further and further away. You have LOST my vote. I'm now focusing on McCain or Oboma.

Grow up!

January 23, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. Dan Beck

Mr. Obama has, rather tepidly in my opinion, suggested that the Clintons are not being "factually accurate". I"l go him one better and say that they're lying, and they know it. Even with their long history of ruthless, stop-at-nothing-to-win tactics, the sheer viciousness of their recent attacks is, frankly, shocking.

January 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  19. John Adkisson

CORRECTION

In recent days I have heard from many of my democratic friends that we risk disunity with negativity. But these friends are not truly committed to a real reform and a real break from the past. That is why young people are turning to Obama.

One problem with our politics is that those who don't study it closely lose track of who is truly negative and who is playing fair.

Whan Obama stood up for himself recently he was portrayed as participating in mudslinging. In fact, the Clintons, who have been operating on talking points and deception for 35 years, are the clear culprits. These ads are deliberately deceptive and their cynical approach to politics is the very thing my democratic friends say they are upset about. But just watch — it will be rewarded because inattentive voters continue to vote for people like the Clintons.

This year is an opportunity for change. Electing the Clintons for a third term will not bring about change — it will simply return them to power, along with their cronies, who happen to belong to my political party.

I never thought I would say this — but the Clintons are a worse fate than a Bloomberg or a McCain. They are the worst possible choice at this crucial juncture in our history.

January 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. Jules

It just hit me. Hillary needs to be President of the Democratic Party. She would be the absolute best president for an all Democratic Nation. She has made it very clear that they are the only ones she will consider ideas from. Hmmm. I thought the race fwas for President of the United States, though. What' a nonpartisan voter to do???? Oh, that's right. Vote Obama or McCain. If Obama isn't an option... well, you see how it will play out, don't you? Go BO.

January 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  21. Jon, Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you Hillary. I appreciate your tenacity and strength of character. Clearly, Barrack is lacking both and not ready for prime time.

January 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. Tyler

Im sick and tired of all this stuff that Obama is going to unite the country. I dont know where he and other people get this idea. What is he going to do? Force the Dems and Republicans to hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

January 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Vicki Venza

I'm a 36 year old female, who was hoping against all hopes that Hillary would not resort to the old, tired politics so many of us Independents are disgusted with. I've heard the entirety of Obama's interview in which he mentioned the Republican Party, and it is abundantly clear that Hillary has twisted, deconstructed, and reconstructed his comments into a statement she hopes will place Obama in disfavor with the voters. What she fails to realize is that no rational thinking Democrat would ever believe that Obama aligns himself with the Republican-Reagan platform. Her deplorable tactics make her look desperate, dishonest, devious, and corrupt.

Wake up, Hillary!! We want a new type of politics in America, as Obama promises to bring, and you are just reminding all of us that you will never let that happen.

I hope Hillary pays dearly at the polls this weekend and beyond.

January 23, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. Bert in NJ

Bill Clinton should back off! He had his day in the White House. If Hillary is so prepared to be President on day 1, he must let her demonstrate that strength, wisdom, and courage. He greatly overshadows her and it is obvious that he wants to be in position of power and decision making. Early on during this campain, I did have Hillary in mind. However, after becoming aware of the tactics at play now, I will never vote for her. Hillary, put away the dirt and get down to the issues. This is "grown-up" politics, not high-school. We need a president who can stand on her own two feet and tell her husband to "Chill Out!"

January 23, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  25. CDM

Read the book, "For Love Of Politics" by Sally Bedell Smith and learn the truth about the real Clintons. It makes me sick.

January 23, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |