January 23rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's Republican comments in radio ad

Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.
Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.

(CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a radio ad in South Carolina Wednesday that targets Barack Obama's recent comments on the Republican Party – her campaign’s latest effort to capitalize on the Illinois senator’s recent remarks.

The spot highlights a portion of his recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asks.. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have repeatedly raised those comments on the campaign trail. Obama's campaign has said the two are mischaracterizing the original comments.

Responding to the radio ad, Obama spokesman Bill Burton called the ad a "negative, dishonest attack."

“In her newest negative, dishonest attack, Clinton claims that Obama praised Republican ideas apparently in an attempt to obscure her record of voting for Republican ideas like bankruptcy, NAFTA and, of course, the war in Iraq," he said.

"That fact that Hillary Clinton has praised Ronald Reagan and supported some of the very worst Republican ideas just underscores that she will say or do anything to get elected,” said Burton.

The Clinton campaign maintained the ad was straightforward.

"This ad straightforwardly uses Sen. Obama’s own words in his own voice saying the Republican Party was the party of ideas for the past 10-15 years," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said. "We can understand why the Obama campaign would be frustrated with that. The bottom line is that Sen. Clinton is running for president in order to replace those ideas with new ones like jumpstarting our economy, creating jobs and protecting people’s homes."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
soundoff (1,035 Responses)
  1. McAwesome

Hillary Clinton has an insatiable lust for POWER!!! And she will say and do ANYTHING to be President.

Why do you think she's stuck-around while Wild Bill had his affairs with chubby women?

Don't believe the hype... vote for the first normal person to run in ages... OBAMA!!

January 23, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Susan

Don January 23, 2008 3:18 pm ET

I also live in South Carolina. I have been mailed three mailings by Obama this week. He attacks Hillary. So you tell me he is better and how. Just because he whines everytime someone brings up his flimsy record, does not mean that he is not playing the same political games. Thats all I am trying to say. I have read a million times about the Clinton attack machine, well Obama has one also and he has used it over and over. Obama is not the fresh idea canidate you have all been fooled into believing. We need a strong leader, one with experiance. Obama will not be able to work across party lines, its well known he is very liberal, and he will have a tough idea meshing his dream with conservatives. And if he is stuttering and crying over Hillary now, wait till the republicans rip him a new one. Hillary can face that battle, and win.

WELL SAID!!

January 23, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Alexander (New York)

Here is a full quote of Obama's statement:
    “The Republican approach I think has played itself out. I think it’s fair to say the Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time over the last 10 or 15 years, in the sense that they were challenging conventional wisdom. Now, you’ve heard it all before. You look at the economic policies, when they’re being debated among the presidential candidates, it’s all tax cuts. Well, we’ve done that, we’ve tried it.”
    READ: The Republican's approach has played itself out. You look at the economic policies, it's all tax cuts. Well, we've done that, we've tried it.

Is it not a distortion of the facts to lead out contextual sentences that make Obama's statements clear?

I cannot stand double standards.
    And calling Obama a "crybaby" when he defends himself, and Hillary strong when she defends herself is a double-standard. Obama is not crying, he is clarifying the record because people who hear Clinton, who should be a trustworthy source of information, believe the things she posits using quotes that are taken out of context. I want an honest president, period.

January 23, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. LA in Indiana

January 23, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Tim Martersteck

Over and over again I am unpleasantly surprised at Hillary's campaign tactics.
    She is focusing on demeaning Barack's ideas and comments instead of proposing and pushing her own ideas. What are those ideas? They've been completely upstaged by her constant berating of Barack. It reflects very poorly on her campaign.

January 23, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Don

I think everyone should be aware that half of this crap is being stirred up by republicans. I for one, do not know any true democrat that would not support Hillary is she were the nominee, or Obama for that matter. I am convinced that all the negativity we are seeing is being caused by some outside forces, especially on the blogs. The majority of true democrats that believe in Obama and Clinton's plans for the country do not hate Hillary Clinton. People can say all day they will vote the other party, or leave the country, these are not true Obama supporters.

January 23, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. Marc, NY

The single worst, and most costly, Republican idea of the last 10 years has been the Iraq War, which Senator Clinton voted for (unlike the majority of Congressional Democrats, who in total voted 57% against it).

January 23, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. NextPresident

Apparently you Clinton supporters cannot read or have selective memory. Hillary brought up Resco when Obama was not considering the senate but Hillary was taking money from a fugitive Norman Hsu ,who was a supporter of Ed Renell, during her 2007 campaign but yet she wants to bash Obama. These crooks need to go. Let's see if CNN brings this up or are they going to try to sweep this under the rug.

Here is Bill's response to Hsu:

"In 2006, former President Clinton referred to Hsu as "our friend Norman".[26] After the scandal went public, Bill Clinton remarked in colloquial language, "You could have knocked me over with a straw".[59] Democrats are continuing to try to reconcile positive personal impressions of Hsu with his criminal behavior. Mark Gorenberg, who now sits on 2008 Presidential candidate Barack Obama's national finance committee, remarked, "Despite it all, I still love the guy, despite everything you read, every experience I ever had with him was nothing but delightful, and I just scratch my head."

January 23, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. mark

The quote in question (the whole thing, not the conviently shortened version Hillary is playing):

""I think we're in one of those times right now where people feel like things as they are going aren't working, that we're bogged down in the same arguments we've been having, and they're not useful. The Republican approach, I think, has played itself out. I mean, I think it's fair to say that the Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there for the last 10-15 years, in the sense that they were challenging conventional wisdom. Now, you've heard it all before. You look at the economic policies when they're being debated among the [GOP] presidential candidates, it's all tax cuts. You know, we've done that. We've tried it. That's not really going to solve our energy problems, for example."

Sound like he's saying they are good ideas?

If you think so, you should try reading more slowly.

I sure hope someone calls Hillary on this junk.....very sad....

Just goes to show you what they will do to get back in power......anything

January 23, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Bob

Typical Clinton scorched earth strategy. Obama should NEVER consider running on a ticket wiith the criminal lying Clintons!

January 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. John

It is strange that people call Illinois politician a sincere and genuine man, wake-up. Mr. Obama betrayed every promised he ever made. Where’s politic of hope? Where’s a country united. Where’s issues not internal fight? He got a race card, a victim card and a list of empty promises.
    I do not mind African Americans voted for this guy. I can not understand politically correct whites. Do you want Nation of Islam or Black Panthers run this government coupled with Al Capone like characters?

January 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. iyke

Spare me these billary,enough is enough,this is time to unite america and the world,barack obama is the answer.

January 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Mark

This is why we need change in Washington. The Clinton's (both Hillary and Bill) distortion of Obama's comments for political purposes is a great example of what I dislike about old school politicians. It is divisive at a time when we need leaders who will rise above these petty tactics. Hillary is off my list. I'm looking at either Edwards or Obama.

January 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. LA in Indiana

This is the final straw, I am sick of the clintons and will vote republican this election year. Their lies and deceit have totally sickened me, but this is what we want running the country? What sickens me even more are the ignorants that will vote for THEM (cuz she ain't runnin, Bill is, and the last time I checked 2 terms is the limit). These same ignorants are touting 35 yrs of experience, and if that were true, then she should be able to run on those 35 years, on her own, and not on bill's coattails. You folks laugh it up now, but you will regret it once it happens. How many women will bill have this time? or will it be her sleaze that finally gets to you poor sheeple?

January 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Discouraged

When Hillary first express her desire to tun for POTUS I was so excited. I followed her up to the point when her true color showed at the expense of her opponent. She no longer is my model for leadership. She and Bill Clinton are true CHAMELEONS.

January 23, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. MK, Los Angeles, California

I'm tired of the Hilliary supporters who say there is nothing dishonest with just using Obama's words. What is dishonest with Hilliary's ad is that she purposefully refuses to point out ALL the comments Obama said about Reagan, where he said that he did not agree with Reagan's policies but admitted that Democrats were not offering competing ideas at the time. It is Hilliary's knowingly taking Obama's words out of context to make it seem he is saying something that he was not that is dishonest. Perhaps you Hilliary supporters out there should go to the Reno Gazette website and listen to his words (ALL OF THEM) and then ask yourself whether Hilliary is being disceptive. I doubt you will do so. It is this type of campaigning that is destructive to our country, the ability of our government to function, and for voters to have any confidence in their country. Thanks Hilliary for continuing to feed the despair and cynicism of the American people. Leading our country is not a "game" as one Hilliary supporter has posted nor is it simply a "full contact sport" as Bill said, it is a calling of the highest order and responsibility. Until this country has leaders who meet that duty and voters require such duty from their leaders, this country will never solve its longstanding problems.

January 23, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. Woz - Los Gatos, CA

Since Leona Helmsley died, it seems that Hillary is vying for the title "Queen of Mean".

January 23, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. Dias

It is really sad to hear Billary attacking Obama about admiring what a republican has done for this country. Again it shows that she will not be a uniter but a divider. Dear fellow citizens our economy is bleeding, our reputation abroad is getting bad and our old allies are booing us. What we need right now is people that can bring us all together, Dems and republican working together to build our economy and our country. What's happening right in the country right now is not a matters that only concerns reps or dems but us all. Have we forgotten the real meaning of the word "UNITED". Yesterday we had a Clinton in the house, today we have Bush who said that he was going to be better than his dad. What makes you all think that having another Clinton will not be messier than the first one. Hillary could have done all she said she will do when she slept in the white house, Maybe Bill Clinton was to busy with what we all know he was doing while people were dying in Africa. He is trying to put all the dirt to keep his wife clean. Why the same people, we need another direction. Like Hillary said on TV, this is personal "When she was Crying". Taking money from lobbyists, being on the board for Wal-Mart and today want to go back in the white house. Honestly, why always where the money is. Yes, this is really personal. This country needs a different direction and I believe we all need to work together. The very man who had freed the Slaves back in day was President Lincoln, I don’t recall him being a democrat but that was a great accomplishment in the history of this great country.

January 23, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. welches, oregon

Ok two points here – first Bill's negative remarks about Obama frees up Hillary to campaign but takes up much of Obama's time defending himself. It's a plan, not a very fair plan – but still a Clinton plan. And more telling, visions of what would come. Bill right there with Hillary in the White House. And secondly, as I read in the article and saw on the Dem debate, Obama said "Republicans were the party of ideas" He NEVER praises those ideas and on the debate stated ..I never said they were good ideas... He was stressing the fact that the leadership got people together albeit by some bad ideas. The point being the leadership was strong, but not necessarily in the right ways. The media needs to stop putting THEIR ideas into our minds and just report the news. American's are smarter than the media.

January 23, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. NextPresident

Sen Bob Kerry, Hillary and Bill Clinton, Ed Rendell all ties to Norman Hsu..Strange bedfellows. And they are trying bring up Rescoe..what a joke.

January 23, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Jess

How can Hillary when the national election when they split the democratic party and sooo many independents, and democrats refuse to vote for her. Really? Thanks Clinton supporters for helping to ruin this country!

January 23, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  22. Patty

I think Hillary's initial slogan "I'm in to win" shows it all-she is only concerned with HERSELF. She only changed the slogan in New Hampshire when she realized people saw through her selfishness and desperation to be president. I appreciate her contribution to the country as First Lady and as a prominent female Senator, but I don't think she would be in a leadership position today if she hadn't traded her soul to ride Bill's coattails through life. American politics is moving in a different direction now, and, although she is a big part of the past, she's not part of the future.

January 23, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  23. rw

I saw the clip, yes Obama said it. He literally said the republicans had the ideas, and not Bill Clinton. Well, as has been stated by Belinda above, one has to suppose he means Newt Gingrich & Co.'s Contract with America, which comprised almost half of Reagan's ideas.

Yes, a contract that was a to-do list by conservatives that shut down government. I don't remember much of the ideas being implemented, but I do remember Newt losing his position as speaker, divorcing his sick wife and marrying a STAFFER 30 years younger.

And I remember very vividly the party of ideas' special inquisitor, Kenneth Starr, the bible selling inquisitor-at-large that ran a non-stop personal persecution of the president. Meanwhile, as the party of ideas salivated seeing Clinton on the defensive, they failed to see the Al-queda threat against American building. Worthy of admiration? Not hardly. Not even worthy of mention.

Obama is in the wrong party. He needs to change party affiliation and run as a republican.

January 23, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  24. Jay

These negative attacks are only going to fuel the GOP mud machine and will contribute to another four years of the standard Republican way of doing things.

Doesn't the Clinton camp think there candidate can on her record alone?

Don't they realize that all this infighting will only ruin our chances of taking back the White House and taking back our country?

Go Obama '08

January 23, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. pete

Hillary is unfortunately lying about Obama's comments,which tells me she would lie to the american people if she is President. I have never considered voting repulican, but i will vote for McCain simply because i believe what he says. I am sick of lying politicians.

January 23, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |