January 23rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's Republican comments in radio ad

Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.
Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.

(CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a radio ad in South Carolina Wednesday that targets Barack Obama's recent comments on the Republican Party – her campaign’s latest effort to capitalize on the Illinois senator’s recent remarks.

The spot highlights a portion of his recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asks.. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have repeatedly raised those comments on the campaign trail. Obama's campaign has said the two are mischaracterizing the original comments.

Responding to the radio ad, Obama spokesman Bill Burton called the ad a "negative, dishonest attack."

“In her newest negative, dishonest attack, Clinton claims that Obama praised Republican ideas apparently in an attempt to obscure her record of voting for Republican ideas like bankruptcy, NAFTA and, of course, the war in Iraq," he said.

"That fact that Hillary Clinton has praised Ronald Reagan and supported some of the very worst Republican ideas just underscores that she will say or do anything to get elected,” said Burton.

The Clinton campaign maintained the ad was straightforward.

"This ad straightforwardly uses Sen. Obama’s own words in his own voice saying the Republican Party was the party of ideas for the past 10-15 years," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said. "We can understand why the Obama campaign would be frustrated with that. The bottom line is that Sen. Clinton is running for president in order to replace those ideas with new ones like jumpstarting our economy, creating jobs and protecting people’s homes."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
soundoff (1,035 Responses)
  1. John

Don..What are you talking about.. Until who attacked who? Wasn't it Hillary that started all the mudslinging after she lost in IOWA?

January 23, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. MIles Anderson

Why does she feel the need to attack Obama?
    Doesn't she have more important things to think on?

Both dems and reps have had their share of bad ideas.

January 23, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Amy

Has anyone bothered to ask the Clintons what their ties are with the Bush's. Seems to me former Presidents Clinton and George Bush have been close knit buddies. I guess Senator Obama is not to suppose to offend her Republican friends.

Amy

January 23, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Tom, Austin, Tx.

I am getting the same feeling – sick, tired and angry – when I read about the politics of Bill and Hillary, much the same way I do whenever I read about the politics of GW Bush. Anyone else like that? That is a bad sign. Clinton = Bush. Let's vote to change the political climate. Please make Obama the democratic nominee.

January 23, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. oliver

Democrats are becoming such a turn off to the Idenpendent voters. How dumb!

I'm starting to doubt I would give my vote to a democrat now and I seriously thought I would. I am seeing more and more Independents who feel the same way. I really getting tired of Hillary.

January 23, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Don

Bill Clinton is speaking the truth, lets ee if anyone will listen. The media is fueling this fire for ratings. There has been a media slant. Obama's people complain that its not fair(boo hoo) that Bill is campaigning for his wife, but no one questions the comments made by Michelle Obama. If all was fair, where is the headlines that "Obama attacks Clinton in SC mailings". Where is that blog, or that news story for that matter. Obama and his supporters want to be treated special, and thats not what a campaign is about. The media is going along for the ride because they have even said that controversary( real or not) sells. The "race" card was not played by the Clinton's, it was blown out of shape by media. Hillary said nothing that was not true. Would we watch CNN,MSNBC, or Fox if all they talked about were the real issues that we face. NO. Very sad .

January 23, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. Obama support in Iowa

The "attack with lies and 1/2 truths" style of campaigning needs to end. We are smarter than that. We are better than that. We can make a decision based on the candidates who inspire us to follow their leadership. Who could be inspired by the Clinton's attack campaign? Who could be inspired by their robo-calls that tap into people's fear of the unknown? Who could refuse to be inspired by Obama's message of Hope? We have the power to change politics in America right now. We have the power to insist on honesty, integrity and clarity. We have the power to say we deserve better from our Government and leaders. Doesn't everyone want that? There will always be people who admire people who will do anything at all to win. Look at the reality shows on TV. I admire strength of character and integrity. I support Obama.

January 23, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. votehillary2008

Obama made the stupid quote. Now, it's coming back to hurt him. His words were not taken out of context. He praised Regan and the Republicans. End of story. Besides his camp is known for twisting what the Clintons say, i.e,. "fairytale", LBJ and "I don't want to see this country go backwards." None of those statements were racist. Funny, Obama doesn't mind using the race card when it's to his advantage.

As far as the Clintons' past, everyone knows their skeletons. That's old news and nobody cares. The Clintons have not done anything legally wrong. If they had, Ken Starr would've found a way to put them in jail. The worse Bill is done is had affairs. Most men have affairs, even those who pretend to be so holy and righteous. It's so funny, the Republicans used to always talk about family values, but I think Hillary is a great example of family values. When her marriage got hard, she stuck by her husband and her daughter, just like her vows said, "for better or worse."

Go Hillary!

January 23, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. sandi

Any thoughts I had about voting for Hilary are gone. Now I see that the Clinton tactics are based in lies, fabrication, greed and self-centeredness. She feels the country owes her the presidency, that the White House is hers. Notice how she's changed her voice and presentation after the praise she got for her tear? It will be a disasterous day if she wins as the people will have, once again, failed to read and educate themselves beyond tv; they will have, once again, elected a president they didn't know, one who so easily duped them into voting for him (Bush). And President Clinton, boy oh boy does she have him whipped!

So Obama may thank the Clintons for showing their true selves and me for my vote!

January 23, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. Horace P Manure

The bottom line is that Hillary and Republicans have the most in common.

They all want to get into their time machines and go back to yesterday – we need a guy like Barrack Obama who can fix this country – if we don't find someone soon, it's over for us.

January 23, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Clintonistas

Newsflash to Clintonistas: It is not whining when Obama sets the record straight. The way Hillary is spinning what he says is completely inaccurate. There's no question Reagan was transformative–but not necessarily in a good way. And, it's pretty obvious to any student of history that Reagan and the Republicans had the majority of ideas during the 80s (and the support to get them implemented).

You can certainly make this case without supporting any of them. I've watched the interview, I've watched Obama explain just that in the debate, and still...the attacks keep coming.

This is inaccurate and dishonest spin by the Clintons...pure and simple. Clintonistas that don't see this are completely blind. And, since when did the Clinton campaign become a bastian for truth-telling. Apparently you can't remember back beyond 8 years, which is sad.

Incidentally, I have no issue whatsoever when Hillary questions his record. She should–just like he should question hers. But the distortions and lies are getting too much. I'm still undecided to this point, but the Clinton dog and pony show is getting really old.

I hope he continues to defend himself against such scurrilous attacks.

January 23, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. John, Seattle WA

Jim

You can't be serious? I'm failing to pick up the sarcasm.

You...looked..on..the ...net....to see if Billary is telling the TRUTH???

Wow....

Maybe we can we export all the people named Jim to China or Mexico to make up for the trade imbalance that the Clinton's started in the first place.

January 23, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. Trent Jacobs

My vote is for a republican if Hillary/Bill gets the nomination. I am a die-hard democrat and it pains me to even write this.

Trent.

January 23, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Young_black_MBA

It seems like there is a lot of name calling going around; however, neither Obama or Clinton are sticking with the issues. They are spreading a lot of he say, she say around, thinking the American people are all idiots. This is becoming very rediculous. I think I may look twice at Edwards, he seems to be the only democratic candidates who wants to talk about something other than "themselves." Lets stick with the issues please.

January 23, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Tasha, GREENVILLE, SC

Ok , i admit that until this race started between Barack and Hillary.. I was a Clinton supporter. The reason I have converted over is because Hillary is using almost everyone that was in Bill's party including Bill Clinton to drum up votes.. He was the president almost 10 years ago.. How much has all of our lives changed since 10 years AGO..I am voting for Barack for FRESH NEW IDEAS...People have to understand we can't take over the white house with the same old politics and the same old people. Barack is someone who understands that we have to have unity as Americans in order to solve some of Americas problems...THAT IS WHAT AMERICA NEEDS!!! OBAMA 8'

January 23, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Don

Eric, it goes to show you how much you really know. Hillary has never cried. Stop misleading on this subject. Its stupid and has nothing to do with the state of our nation. Hillary is strong and will be a great President.

January 23, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. Chris

The more and more Hillary shows her face. The less and less I like her.

The quote by Obama severely out of context. It hurts my critical thinking sensibilities.

Then again politics in general hurt my sensibilities.

I tend to get riled up by cheering for Obama and hating Hillary. But the truth is after one gets elected, nothing will change.

I like to think that a vote for Obama IS for some thing different. He at the very least inspires with HOPE. Hillary and others inspire with fear, just like Bush did in '04.

Eh.

January 23, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. Brian L Chicago

For Goodness sakes! Barack was referring to the fundamental shift that this country underwent when Reagan was voted in. He wasn't defending Reagan's policies nor was he glamourizing them! He wasn't praising Reagan and what he did, he simply pointed out that as an agent of change, good or bad, Reagan was the figure head and arbiter of that political shift.
    Obama now stands as the only candidate in this field who represents what Reagan represented in 1980; the only candidate who can reshape the political landscape

January 23, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  19. David Smith, Jr3

I am somewhat disappointed by Hillary’s desire to fight a negative campaign instead of staying on message. She and her husband, Bill is engaging themselves in fighting in the trenches of SC, there is no need to do that. I believe it can be a costly mistake down the road and as soon as super Tuesday, Feb 5, 2008, The former president (Bill Clinton) should know better, and if he doesn't know by now, then he should be blame for hurting the chances of his wife in her bid to fulfill that dreams. You would think, they would be working on stronger national issues at this stage of the campaign and not be bugged down in petty bickering; This campaign is seriously lacking the kind of leadership that would truly make her the front runner in this drive.

Dave

January 23, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. R, Brooklyn, NY

For a while there I was actually undecided about these two. But this lying and distortion from Hillary (who is my Senator, unfortunately) pretty much clinches it. Go Obama!

January 23, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. Els Williams

The focus is ONLY on Clinton and Obama. I sure wished that Dennis Kucinich could have been invited to ALL the debates. He is far more REAL than any of the others. I am so sick of all their attacks on each other.

January 23, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Pat Huntington NY

And I thought Repukes had the monopoly on hypocracy! When Clinton makes accurate observations of Obama, its an attack. But when Obama does it, it's ok. This all makes me sick. So sick, I might re-register as an Independent, and vote for Mickey Mouse in November!

January 23, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Khwaty

Why is it Obama is now jumping and pounding his desk, his ad campaign against Hillary in Nevada was worse and totally false, not even a single hint of truth. It's his own words use in the ads, let him negate that.

I support John Edwards, but FAIR IS FAIR. If you can't take the heat Obama, get out of the kitchen.

You start the dig on Hillary last Monday night, now you're whining like a little boy because your playmate is not nice after you throw sand all over her face.

Clayburn and Daschle are out of line, these two jokers should sit in the corner and shutup.

January 23, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Amy

I think that we should label Clintons' behaviors as "Clintonism" – his and her legacy in this country's politics. People say that it's Clinton's strategy to drag Obama into a fight. I say no. It's not that Clinton has a strategy; it is that they have no any other stratigies but blaming and attcking anyone on their way. The nasty, negative, and mean spirited approach they have showed is simply what they are. Do we need such a leadership in this country??

January 23, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. Barbie

To the Hispanic community who think Hillary Clinton is going to get you a step closer to becoming an American citizen... good luck, you'll need it. The Clintons are very good at giving you crumbs and convincing you that they would have given you more if only the evil Republicans would have agreed. The truth is... the Clintons will push forth legislation that they know will be rejected, as opposed to a compromise that has a shot, why? Well... this way they can claim "we tried!" Don't be played in '08!

January 23, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |