January 23rd, 2008

Clinton goes after Obama's Republican comments in radio ad

Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.
Clinton is going after Obama in a new ad.

(CNN) - Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a radio ad in South Carolina Wednesday that targets Barack Obama's recent comments on the Republican Party – her campaign’s latest effort to capitalize on the Illinois senator’s recent remarks.

The spot highlights a portion of his recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asks.. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

Hillary Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have repeatedly raised those comments on the campaign trail. Obama's campaign has said the two are mischaracterizing the original comments.

Responding to the radio ad, Obama spokesman Bill Burton called the ad a "negative, dishonest attack."

“In her newest negative, dishonest attack, Clinton claims that Obama praised Republican ideas apparently in an attempt to obscure her record of voting for Republican ideas like bankruptcy, NAFTA and, of course, the war in Iraq," he said.

"That fact that Hillary Clinton has praised Ronald Reagan and supported some of the very worst Republican ideas just underscores that she will say or do anything to get elected,” said Burton.

The Clinton campaign maintained the ad was straightforward.

"This ad straightforwardly uses Sen. Obama’s own words in his own voice saying the Republican Party was the party of ideas for the past 10-15 years," Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said. "We can understand why the Obama campaign would be frustrated with that. The bottom line is that Sen. Clinton is running for president in order to replace those ideas with new ones like jumpstarting our economy, creating jobs and protecting people’s homes."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
soundoff (1,035 Responses)
  1. Sam

HILLARY DOESNT CARE ABOUT ANYBODY BUT HER FAMILIES POLITICAL EGO AND DYNASTY.

January 24, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  2. Michiel

The only candidate out there still talking about the issues, is the man everyone seem to regard as an afterthought! I for one am sick and tired of hearing nothing but the petty bickering between Clinton and Obama. I don't care who said what or who said it first, it still takes two to argue (or 3 if you include Bill).
    Let these two self implode and vote for the man who will really unite this country and pick us up out of this depression (both economic and emotional). Vote for JOHN EDWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  3. Tom, Austin, Tx.

January 23, 2008 4:12 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I am getting the same feeling – sick, tired and angry – when I read about the politics of Bill and Hillary, much the same way I do whenever I read about the politics of GW Bush. Anyone else like that? That is a bad sign. Clinton = Bush. Let's vote to change the political climate. Please make Obama the democratic nominee.

Why waiting moderation?

January 24, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  4. Sean

Go Hilary...................And take Bill with you!

January 24, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. Chris, Bethesda, Maryland

Sorry Omar Norfolk VA, Obama does not have Clinton's back against the wall. She's the one with the initiative right now, and ads like this are what's making it possible. Which is too bad. If I ever had any thoughts of voting for Hillary, this last incident cured me.

At the same time, Obama needs to grow a pair and start hitting back. She's Hillary Clinton for crying out loud, the job is almost done for you. You don't even need to run fictional ads, just run with the truth – Iraq War, NAFTA, you know the drill. Then run that ad again and again until your propaganda machine is heard as much as hers is. No one's asking you to lie, but if you won't fight back for what you believe in how do you expect us to vote for you?

January 24, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  6. Dontbuyit

Sen. Obama better buckle up!! Whoever gets the dem. nomination is going to see attack ads that will make the 2004 "swift-boating" of Sen. Kerry look like childs play.

Sen. Obama lost in NH because he could not get the "youth" vote to the polls. It's not the Clintons fault.

January 24, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  7. The Observer

Didn't G W Bush stand as a unifier not a divider?

Look where that got us!!

January 24, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. H Eugene Morgan

For all who support the idea that Obama's remarks are taken out of context. look at his video in his own words, stating he is for pricating social security, which he now denies. Hillary at least votes, whether or not we agree with the vote, she just doesn't show up present. Hillary and Bill haters seem to forget or ignore the prosperity they had under Clinton and how these same people voted for a President who lied to us to go to war. Clinton's affair didn't take the lives of our brave men and women and innocent people, nor squander the Clinton surplus.Hate is a very strong word that so called morally people should refrain from using in this manner. Put the blame where it belongs and don't use Hillary as a scapecoat.

January 24, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  9. Lori, Woodland CA

Sam You really are on your high horse this morning aren't you? Hillary is back campaigning hard in South Carolina after a 2 day break in some other states. Same thing as what Obama did during the Nevada campaign when he took a break and campaigned in California in hopes of snagging some of Hillary's women voters. And by the way, of course you'll vote Republican because you are a registered Republican on here just trying to brainwash the Democratic voters.

January 24, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. Louis, New York

This woman started all kinds of crap within her own party, most senior democrats don't want her back in office and they are backing Obama. Yet she expects us to believe republicans will work with her? HA!

Talk about a fairy tale!

They will stonewall her just to protest her bing in office. We will have a stagnant Congress and Senate for her term. There will be absolutely no change in anything, because the government won't do anything except spend millions investigating the Clinton's for 4 years.

ANYONE BUT HILLARY '08

January 24, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  11. Honest Abe

Hey, Everybody:
    A lot of people here are saying that if Hillary gets the nomination, they will vote Republican for the first time in their lives. You know what–if you do that, it means the machine wins and you no longer count. How about do what I"m doing–if Hillary wins the nomination, I will REFUSE TO VOTE for the first time in my life.

Don't be forced to vote for someone you don't believe in. Just don't vote.

In fact, the more people who don't vote the better. It's all crooked anyway. I think maybe the only way for us to take our democracy back is by refusing to vote.

Think about it.

January 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Bill Clinton is doing a great diservice to both his wife's poliltical campaign as well as the Democratic party in general. His rants present an angry, often irrelevant individual lashing out at all who don't see it his way. The new Team Clinton hardball tactics will ultimately fail because they only reinforce the American's public's fears about their lack of character. The American people are ready for a new brand of leadership and the Clinton's are utilizing an out of date playbook.

January 24, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Frank J. (MO)

Honest Abe January 24, 2008 11:38 am ET

Hey, Everybody:

Don't be forced to vote for someone you don't believe in. Just don't vote.

Think about it.
    ------------------------------------

Abe, not voting means you'd be indifferent ... I could not stand idle by. My family and I would do whatever we can to stop the travesty of a Billary ticket (Would they actually select a photo-op 'vice' president ?)

I fought against King George II from day one ... and it was difficult in 2000 because of the Clinton scandals. In 2004 the doctrin of fear won against the obvious and another run for the Royal Billaries will burn another general election for the Democrats.
    No, I would vote against Billary, I would contribute to the opponent's campaign and I would put up signs in my yard for the opponent's campaign !

Frank

January 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. Duke

"they will vote Republican for the first time in their lives. You know what–if you do that, it means the machine wins and you no longer count. "
    ---------
    Just like the "terrorists win" if we don't fight the war? Wasn't that line great, too?

January 24, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. SJ

The more I watch what is happenning, the more I pray to God that Obama is the winner of the convention. I have come to the conclusion that It would be better to support a Republican like McCain or Huckabee than to further support any efforts of the Clintons. They (especially Bill) seem to desire this presidency a little too much, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it. It makes me reconsider all of the conspiracy stories I remember hearing from republicans about them during their administration (ones I thought at the time were rediculous), but now I see behavior and decisions on their part that make me reconsider.

I am a self-employed white male, age 35, liberal, widower with 1 child, registered Democrat currently living in Texas, but I will vote Republican or abstain from voting if Hillary is the Nominee. I will also encourage my fellow constituents to do the same. I cannot in good conscience support the very kind of behavior that we so desperately wish to leave behind in politics. We are better than that. We deserve better. It is by far time that we have a much higher bar in politics.

January 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. Bob

I want to know:

- How is Hillary going to stop the losses of American jobs to overseas competition when she favors outsourcing and has brought the #1 outsourcer of US jobs to India into New York?

- How would Hillary encourage the return of manufacturing to America – we don't make a TV, a DVD player, a computer, or even a darn video game anymore.

- How will Hillary end the war? She claims to be opposed to it, but is on record as saying we may be there for "decades".

- Why does Bill Clinton speak for her over and over again? Why can't she speak to us herself?

January 24, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Jim

HILLARY WHO? I THOUGHT SLIPPERY WILLY WAS RUNNING.

January 24, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. From Vancouver Canada

As I read these comments it becomes increasing evident that the comments supporting Obama are both immature and fatuous. This is why Hillary will win the nomination – the smart people are getting their facts elsewhere. You Obama supporters on this page are talking to yourselves (and Republicans).

In spite of all the "dissing" back and forth in the debate, it was obvious that Obama was "back on his heels" when asked to answer anything substantive. As time goes on his lack of qualifications for the job will become more evident. And he will continue to distract the media and his audiences with "Clinton bashing" and/or bland "Change" chants that no one can disagree with.

Bye, Bye!

January 24, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  19. scriptora

How nice to have an ex-president husband who can do your dirty work for you while you take yourself off to New Jersey and walk the "high ground." Bill Clinton, by virtue of his previous office, has the chance to say and do anything he likes–usually wanting the media to capture his gaffs and then throwing a fit when the media report what he's said. I'm wondering if he isn't running for president himself. Who, exactly, will be in charge if Hillary gets into the White House?

Also, why does Hillary keep touting her experience. The big move she made was to get health insurance coverage for folks when Bill was in office, and we all know what a failure she was there, mostly because she cannot "work and play well with others."

Is Obama perfect, or even close? No. On the other hand, I think that old saying about "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know" is one that can lead people into disaster. It did when people re-elected Baby Bush.

January 24, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. FromCanada

To Bill and Chris,
    Canada does want Hillary to win. We want someone who can bring the USA back to it's former glory and that's Hillary. Obama is like electing Oprah. All talk. No substance.

January 24, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. Citizen

All Obama Lovers,

R U Sure of this guy? Which country he was living in for last 10-15 years. Oh may be in Indonesia.

January 24, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  22. Dave

Oh! the Clinton!!! Don't you just love to see them not return to the White House?
    They are reminiscence of all things old. Behold America, let 's start something new, let's turn the page on old politics, let's end the Bush-Clinton family rotation to the White House and let's all restart on a new footage.

January 24, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  23. al

There are 700 plus post on this article; I read most and skimmed over the others. Talk about negative, angry feelings and thoughts!
    If these post are representative of the U.S. population, no wonder America is sinking. What politicians say and do to get elected is what gets them elected. Grant you most of it, if not all, is stretched to the point of utter nonsense; however could they get elected if they told the American people the truth about each other, and what they can or can not do once elected…. Doubt it!!

Would it be better if we for once apply our energy and minds to the goal of getting what we need and deserve from our government? Like economic stability for all Americans. I feel that if my earnings would just keep up with my needs, not wants, I could afford to take care of myself. Then, the government would not have to worry about my well being. Our leaders could work on things like ending the war, securing our borders, gaining oil independence, repair our countries infrastructure, regulating foreign imports, educating our children and on, and on, and on…

We can’t change history, and history should not predicate the future, but it does and will.

January 24, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. sharon in NY

I, too, am tired of all the bickering and negative comments about each of these two candidates. However, it is not THEIR bickering I am tired about; it's the public's!

You're all falling into the news media's traps to "sell news" instead of looking at the candidates themselves in their campaigns/debates and what they see as real issues and what needs to be done. They, like every American, have the right to speak their minds, and, we, as voters, have the right to believe what they say or not ,as well as comment on what they say. There is an awful lot of negativity emitting in the previous comments, and, it appears that it is the "people" that are ruining the Democratic party....not the candidates.

January 24, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. Gloriab

I cannot believe it!! a few emails for Hillary
    give me a break!! Hillary has a lots friends that will vote for her. This web is only for Obama friends. PLEASE CNN be neutral. Let's Hillary friends see their comments too.
    Gloriab