January 23rd, 2008

Hunter endorses Huckabee

The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.
The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - California Rep. Duncan Hunter, a former presidential candidate, announced Wednesday he is endorsing Mike Huckabee's White House bid.

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Hunter said in a statement. “Of the remaining candidates I feel that he is strongly committed to strengthening national defense, constructing the border fence and meeting the challenge of China’s emergence as a military superpower that is taking large portions of America’s industrial base.

"Along with these issues of national security, border enforcement and protecting the U.S. industrial base, I see another quality of Mike Huckabee’s candidacy that compels my endorsement," he added. "Mike Huckabee is a man of outstanding character and integrity. I saw that character over the last year of campaigning and was greatly impressed. The other Republican candidates have many strengths and I wish them all well."

Filed under: Duncan Hunter
  1. bob

great. a guy that doesn't support the constitution just supported another guy who doesn't support the constitution. as for the other side the same can be said. .....in the end who cares about his endorsement.

which group of socialist will win. will it be the republican socialists or the democratic socialists.

don't worry about terrorists. your elected socialist minded big spending representatives will destroy the United States.

January 24, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  2. bobjoe

why do so many comments at these mainstream media site go down the memory hole. why will my prior comments related to this article never see the light of day. doesn't suprise me. at these "free press" media sites they throw away any meaningful comments a person makes but post your complaint so it will appear as though they haven't done anything wrong.

January 24, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  3. Gerda Hepner

Mike Huckabee, and his religion , and him beliving in the Fair Tax bill,
    this is what we need to save this Country.
    We need to be United instead devided ,
    Why can't the Demograts put theyr Heads together with the Repupligans , and figure aut together how to runn the USA
    Just a thought, how nice this would be.

You Neal and your BROADCASTING FAMILY DOING A FANTASTIC JOB

AND I LOVE YOU ALL.

Gerda Hepner

January 24, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  4. Bud

Go Huck – You stand for what most people want but don't know how to get there. Most have never read what you have posted on your site or have studied any of the issuse. Most people in America mark their balot with little info other than what they hear others complaining about. Most that vote at the balot box are blind as many issues they vote on they have never seen prior to voting. Some will always vote absente as they have time to resurch the issues. We need a change in the way we all vote.

January 24, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  5. Ann Darling

I hate to see Hunter leaving the race but very glad to see him supporting Huckabee. When will people see that the guys without all the money and media behind them are the ones we should elect.

January 24, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  6. Greg

I notice that most everyone on this blog who opposes Huckabee either distorts the facts or thinks he holds positions that he really does not. I urge everyone to do some research and find out what Huckabee stands for. You will be pleasantly surprised (unless you are an anti-Christian bigot).

January 24, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  7. Troy Brown

Notice how little is reported about Huckabee the last two weeks. This is due to the mostly left media being scared of this guy. If he gets nominated for the republican party, the dems don't have a chance against him. Huckabee rocks. Best...candidate...ever...

January 24, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  8. SGT VET

4 times now I have tried to post a comment on here and not one has shown up. Guess CNN has a specific agenda that they will follow to the end. Typical media. I really hope that people take the time to personally look into each and every candidate, check out their websites, watch their videos (not the attack adds, they tell you nothing but lies), and make an educated decision in this race. Now more than ever our country needs the right leader in office. You will not find the truth about the candidates by reading or watching CNN or Fox News or any other sources with their own agenda. This message comes with upmost respect for all the candidates, even though I do not believe they are all qualified for the presidency.

God Bless

January 24, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  9. mark bowling

Good for Huckabee. Too bad Hunter couldn't make a better showing. I like Romney a lot, but I like my keeping guns more (not to mention protecting my values of pro-life / pro-Boy Scouts freedom). I trust Giuliani with guns and abortion more because he’s unapologetic and honest about his views and maintains that he will respect the views of conservatives.

ATTENTION - Regarding the comment about Republicans are just as socialistic as Democrats (And those babies who say they will stay home if their candidate loses):

I agree that our country is in extreme danger of irreparable damage by the crazy people who choose to disgorge the values/policies that made us the greatest nation on earth – We need to get the most effective candidate possible. HOWEVER – when your life boat is sinking, DRILLING HOLES IN THE BOTTOM ISN'T A SOLUTION!!!!! Rally around the Republican nominee (the lesser of two evils) and VOTE and defeat the Marxist Liberals who are bent on destroying the most decent Nation on earth! As long as we are in the process of choosing the nominee, I will not give up having my values represented. I will not bow to Hugh Hewitt’s ridicule of my candidate (if Hugh picks nominees like he picks sports teams, we’re screwed…). You can ridicule my candidate, but I will continue to fight to be represented. I don’t think my outsider, non-flip flopper candidate will not lose, but if he does, I will support the nominee of my party. Don’t be a baby – vote for 50% of what you wish for, don’t let somebody else force upon you 99.9% of what you don’t want...

I believe Mike Huckabee has the vision to get us a Fair Tax policy. Mitt is an impressive bloke, but he had the all the support from birth. Mike came from nothing and has become a great leader. That says a lot about Mike’s character, tenacity and ability to reach the people. He is somebody who can reawaken the “great silent majority” (we still are a conservative nation, but one that is asleep). Can we for once get a down to earth person into office and let the Country Club Republicans take a break the next two presidential terms? All of our candidates can beat the shallow rooted democrat candidates – what we need is a good communicator to go past the campaign and reach for the “impossible”.

January 25, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  10. Ken

Hunter joins Tancredo as just another GOP-establishment lapdog.Excepting Dr.
    Paul,they're all a bunch of hucksters.

January 25, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  11. earl sanford, fl

I notice most of the comments are from the other party of pantywaist liberals. Their problem is they don't has any deserving candidate for the highest office in the world and the Repulicans have many great candidates!

January 25, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  12. momofboys

FL for Huckabee!! Check out his site and see his ideas, see his record you might just jump on board!

January 25, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  13. John

Nice!

January 25, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. Mike-Ohio

Mike Huckabee is the first candidate in many years that we can truly believe in. The republican country club elite does not back him. That’s fairly obvious if you listen at all to Hannity and Rush.

Mike doesn’t have the lobbyist advisors or financial backing of Mitt, Rudy or either of the two leading democrats. We need to remember, with that money come expectations. Washington insiders have been taking care of themselves for decades.

It’s time we take the white house back!

January 25, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  15. David

He is right on! Not only is he quick on his feet but the only one who did and will beat the Clintons. The other GOP candidates I like but they are too old, too stiff, and too slow. If you want the a GOP white house, Huckabee is the man of the hour.

January 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. Kristen

Huckabee is a good guy, but I feel that his view on illegal immigrants is really unorganized. He thinks that families that are already in the United States should go back to their real home, which is a good idea, but he also believes that the children who are in school deserve the right to stay here in the United States. That to me makes no sence and is completely unorganized. What are the children going to do?? They don't want to stay here alone without their parents and families. But then again, Huckabee is a real conservative and he has really firm stands on gun control, which I like. I am totally pro-guns.
    I love the fact that Huckabee has a love for his religious beliefs, but I feel that it is immature to bring up other candidates beliefs. Example: Romney being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It seems that Huckabee always has to bring that up, and to me, it really does not matter. Whatever religion a candidate IS, should really not matter. But having a belief in God is important.
    All I can say is that our government needs change, and I know that Mitt Romney would provide that change for our country!!!
    GO MITT '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. Thoughtful in Washington

I am sorry to see Duncan Hunter exit the race; I have the utmost respect for him. Several months ago I started researching conservative candidates, and was so excited to read his statements. He is a true conservative and man of integrity. He was my choice for president.

Thank you, Mr. Hunter, for expressing your support for Mike Huckabee.

Huckabee is the last candidate left for a true conservative. The other three GOP candidates have records that speak for themselves about true conservative values. As I read and reserch, McCain and Giuliani appear to be good men, but are not strong across the board when it comes to conservative foundation issues, Romney comes across as flip-flop and arrogant. His record is not true to conservative values. In addition, his condescending attitude in the debates turned me off as did his "half-truths" that are worse than lies. I know I don't want that type of behavior in the White House!

I admire Huckabee for his positive attitude, commitment to conservative values, and for being in touch with "real" people – people just like you and me. When you look into his record, it is strongly conservative–even fiscally. He balanced his budget (something we wish all our governors would do)!!! The people of Arkansas must have liked him to keep him in office ten years.

So my vote is with Huckabee now–all the way to the White House.

January 27, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  18. paula

So thankful to know whom Congressman Hunter supports. Certainly Americans should appreciate the input of this man of unwavering conviction and unfaltering commitment to his country.

January 27, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. Alice B

I like Mike Huckabee before I knew anything about the man. He seemed genuine. I didn't know he was a Baptist Minister. He talks common sence. I hope he make it to the White House.

January 27, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  20. SP, IL

The Fair Tax results in the BIGGEST transfer of power from the government to the people. Surely, the government (both parties) will not want that, or let you know about it.

With Fair Tax the people control their hard-earned money, there will be no more: tedious and ridiculous tax forms and time every year, government control of your life, and sky-high cost to maintain the current extremely complex tax system. No more heavy tax attracts more businesses (thus jobs), saved government money can be spent more meaningfully.

It is vitally important to get the facts from the source like “The Fair Tax Book”; and its sequel, which is coming out on Feb 12. Do not take them elsewhere, because the objection is more than likely base on pure ignorance (not reading and studying it from the source), misunderstanding, or hidden political agenda.

All the candidates from both parties is dealing with the tax system by ‘making it more fair’ (still controlling you), except one, Mike Huckabee. Only he is supporting Fair Tax.

He also gets the resolution of other issues pretty well, why not go to his web site and take a look.

January 28, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. andy

calling all conservatives........... pay attention ..... get out the vote for mike huckabee or lose the election.........

January 29, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  22. The Coach

Huckabee along with Edwards and Obama are the only two candidates who seem to really care about people. Everyone else seems pre-occupied with being in charge. I am a democrate but I wouldnt be all that upset If Huckabee won!

February 4, 2008 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  23. Billy

Mr Huckabee says all the things I have been waiting to hear for a long time and he makes me belive in this great country once again! You go Mr Huckabee help us all to belive that we are once again that shinning city on a hillside.

February 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  24. Grizzle

Mccain or Romney will get destroyed by Clinton or Obama..... Im tired of this Republican GOP being a popularity contest...... if anyone really cared these days and actually watched the debates, there would be no question as to who they would vote for..... I am a young man who is extremely interested politics and researching politics, and the answer is clear to me: Mike Huckabee..... The only Non-Flip Flopping True Conservative!!... If people truely cared about the race and didn't vote for a guy because he's the same religion as the, or because they know his name....... Then they would see that Mike Huckabee is the man... He sticks to his guns... and I believe that he would step across party lines and shake hands... and Republicans..... He's all we got come november, so give him your vote!

February 5, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  25. Simon Wilby the smart power

Smart mouth mobile has yet to let me down. I have not experienced any dropped calls. Thank goodness for the unlimited texting feature, between me and my kids my texting is endless. The apps are simple and easy to download. I am satisfied with my service, there were no hidden fees or surprises when I got bill. You get exactly what you pay for good service!!!

May 15, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |