January 23rd, 2008

Hunter endorses Huckabee

The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.
The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - California Rep. Duncan Hunter, a former presidential candidate, announced Wednesday he is endorsing Mike Huckabee's White House bid.

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Hunter said in a statement. “Of the remaining candidates I feel that he is strongly committed to strengthening national defense, constructing the border fence and meeting the challenge of China’s emergence as a military superpower that is taking large portions of America’s industrial base.

"Along with these issues of national security, border enforcement and protecting the U.S. industrial base, I see another quality of Mike Huckabee’s candidacy that compels my endorsement," he added. "Mike Huckabee is a man of outstanding character and integrity. I saw that character over the last year of campaigning and was greatly impressed. The other Republican candidates have many strengths and I wish them all well."

Filed under: Duncan Hunter
  1. Kailijiu

For any person who has really taken a deep look at the remaining Republican candidates as well as the Dems, they would have figured out – as did Mr. Hunter – that Huckabee is by far the best person for this countries President. Being from Arkansas, I believe it is true that Mike Huckabee has more true inner character than do all the others. Regardless of past preferences, a person would be foolish to cast their vote with any of the other candidates, either Republican or Democrat.
    Cast your vote with Mike Huckabee for true leadership.

January 23, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  2. Dale Davis, Glendora, California

How sad. I used to like Duncan. But now that he is endorsing the anti-Mormon version of the anti-Semitic David Duke, in the form of Mike Huckabee, I am sure his many Latter-Day Saint constituents in San Diego County are deeply disappointed too. This Mike Huckabee was a keynote speaker in an anti-Mormon rally in Salt Lake City, in 1998, under the auspices of the Southern Baptist Convention. Just like my Jewish brother-in law, and his fellow Jewish relatives, I too, as a Mormon, feel deeply disenfranchised by the many bigots within the Republican Party. That is why so many Jews are Democrats. I may follow suit. At least the Dems don't have a person who is openly anti-Mormon. Mike Huckabee is a liar, if he tells you he isn't anti-Mormon. This alone should nullify his candidacy.

January 23, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  3. Lindsey Brutus, Lake Worth, Fl

I now call on Duncan Hunter's friend Lou Dobbs to endorse Mike!!!!! Huckabee is the right man for the difficult job of getting something done in Washington. Even Bill Clinton said of Huckabee at the ML King service Monday that although he doesn't agree with Huckabee's positions on a lot of issues he thinks he is a relly nice man. Does anyone else know of a Republican that can get a compliment from Bill Clinton? This country will miss the chance of a lifetime if they don't elect Mike to unify this great nation!! Please! Please! Will all you voters consider electing Mike and putting a president in the oval office that we can be proud of and that foreign leaders will respect and admire?

January 23, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  4. Bonnie Oregon

Mike has more chief-executive experience than ANY OTHER candidate. He turned the economy around in spite of bucking the Clinton Machine's vicious propaganda. That is exactly what Romney latched on to and everyone has copied without doint any research of their own.!
    I wish I had money to give!

Fox has ignored or actively opposed him all the way which is hard to understand!
    He won the first debate and Sean H ignored it–then he won the 2nd one and still it was ignored. Truly, he has 12 years of solving problems for his state to the praise of Time Magazine–brought his state's horrible education rating–Hilary said she had helped education in AR so much, but it was still 49th out of 50 when she moved on!
    Mike was able to bring it up to 8th! Incredible.

Michael Medved, talk show host on at 12pm EST, did a two-hour biography on Ronald Reagan and it was amazing how similar so many things were in Mike,s life!
    He has the deep convictions, the quick thinking and wit of Reagan and the outstanding ability to communicate to the people! Go, Mike!

January 23, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. Jarryd Tschoerner

Gezz guys quit leaving these crazy comments, I'ts good for Huckabee's campaign and lets leave it at that.

January 23, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  6. cjstoltzfus

If not for Mike Huckabee, I would have supported Duncan Hunter. I agree with his policies and his stand on issues, and I agree with his endorsement of Huckabee! Thank you Duncan Hunter... I have much respect for you! Go Huckabee!

January 23, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  7. Robert

I am a Californian and I like each of the Republican candidates (well there is one I can't think of anything I like about but I won't mention the name). Having said this I like Huckabee best. He has the most executive branch experience. 10.5 years Governor and 3.5 years Lt. Gov.

His fiscal record in Arkansas is fine. I know people throw around all kinds of "info", but I ran it down and saw that it was supporters of other candidates who were misrepresenting the situation. He started there with a 200 million deficit and left the state with an 800 million surplus. The budget was balanced every year he was in office (I wish that were true in California). He left the roads, the education, and the healthcare system better than he found them. Anyway... as a fiscal conservative I am good with him.

On social issues he is great.

On economics he is great. The FairTax is a great idea (for those who say it is impossible we have the "impossible" Prop. 13 protecting homeowners from runaway prop. taxes here in Ca. I wish all Americans had this it would really help).

I really like his energy independence thrust.

I think his grasp of the war with Islamic terrorists is the best as well. It is clearly a war of beliefs and ideals and it is a WAR! The terrorists are deadly serious and it is nothing short of miraculous that we haven't had another 911 like event.

On immigration he is great... I've researched this and so has the Minutemen founder Jim Gilchrist.

Finally, he has people getting involved in government like nobody else since Ronald Reagan.

I think the attacks are because he frightens the establishment... they are afraid the common man will have more influence with him then they will and they are right on this. After all, the country does belong to the people and not Wall Street or other elitists and power brokers.

I like Huckabee and the more you get to know him I think you will too.

Check him out! I would not give money to someone I did not believe in. I stopped trusting the party to represent me quite a while ago.

All I can say is support Huck... you won't regret it!

January 23, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  8. Steve

I said earlier that Chuck Norris brought more votes with him than Hunter will. Sad that CNN censored it earlier. Real sad when comparing the other posts that obviously are slanted to other extremes.

January 23, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. Allen Fuller

Duncan Hunter, Mr. Border Fence himself, endorses Huckabee, who is purported by many to be "Mr. Open Borders."

This is more proof that the conservative punditocracy, and their well-meaning followers who have not been paying attention for themselves, have been ALL WRONG on Huckabee.

The conventional wisdom is now firmly entrenched. Huckabee is a "liberal" or even a "socialist." People I trust (or used to trust) have latched onto this and have ceased to think further about it.

I hope Duncan Hunter's endorsement will cause people to take a second look at Huckabee with an OPEN MIND.

Start with independent sources, not the usual opinionated sources you may consult. For example, OnTheIssues.org, which, although it doesn't make Huckabee look good on every point, it places Huckabee SQUARELY in the conservative camp. This is just based on his record and statements on the issues, not on hearsay and attacks.

If a close examination shows he's conservative, many will still say "So what? I still don't see why I should support him over any other."

Here are some great reasons to support Huckabee:
    - He is inspiring and positive
    - He has BOLD ideas– not just more of the same
    - He is a great communicator
    - He reaches the Reagan Democrats
    - He can expand the Party
    - He has good leadership skills
    - He knows how to get people to work together on a common solution

These are all personal qualities which are hard to come by. If we don't nominate Huckabee, we will be missing a once-in-20-years chance.

January 23, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  10. Mike

Seems that the elite´s dont want a Huckabee´s victory. But elites sometimes lose, and Huckabee knows the way to go. This guy is the only one who can defeat democrats, and thats the reason why they´re so nervous.

January 23, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  11. Allen Fuller

By the way, I supported Duncan and donated to his campaign long ago. It took me a while to come around to Huckabee, what with all the nasty misinformation about him.

It also took me a while to see that his rhetoric and his way of talking was not liberal, but merely designed to appeal to people who react negatively to the usual Republican lingo.

January 23, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  12. Mike-Ohio

Hunter’s endorsement is I’m sure appreciated. You have to wonder how Mike Huckabee would be doing at this point in the election had it not been for the concentrated effort by many in the republican party to keep him out. Fred Thompson only stayed long enough to insure Huckabee didn’t garner the lion’s share of delegates in South Carolina.

January 23, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  13. Landon, The Woodlands, Tx

Okay, I loved Hunter, but still distrust Huckabee. I still don't think Huckabee is the right choice, but I don't like the rest of my choices. Thank you media for ignoring Hunter until now!

January 23, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  14. Larry Mac

Nothing like an Obama or Hillary supporter taking shots at Huckabee. It's the same as a Stalinist taking a swipe at a patriotic American.

Hillary is a Socialist.
    Obama is a Socialist.

"Change" darn straight Comrade. You can keep your "Change" and your nifty red berets.

Huckabee will get my primary vote but any Patriot will get my vote in the general election. Heck, John Edwards would get my vote ahead of those two throwbacks.

January 23, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  15. chukmaty

A great man endorsing a great man.

People who say Huckabee is a liberal need to get away from statements made from Romney payments and Ron Paul tin foil hat wearers. Huckabee's record is conservative by any account from a federalist perspective, especially when one realizes he had to make things work with a congress that was 90% Democratic.

January 23, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  16. Paul

Huckabee doesn't stand a chance, with or without Hunter's endorsement. There just aren't enough Evangelical votes in America to secure the nomination, let alone beat Clinton or Obama.

January 23, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  17. jeffrey

Go Mike! We support you all the way.

January 23, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  18. Diane from WI

Is this not the information age?

There was a time in this country where just about all we had on which to base our voting decision was the media (what THEY decided to report.) And, of course, those annoying campaign ads! It was helpful when concerned organizations would put together voter decision guides that gave side-by-side comparisons. Even though the mainstream media still attempts to sway our decisions by trying to ignore candidates they do not wish to promote... we now have the internet!

If you want to know more about someone (i.e., Duncan Hunter, Mike Huckabee, etc.), the internet makes it so much faster and easier!! Just enter the name that interests you into a search engine! Chances are that in the case of a candidate, one of the first choices that comes up will be that candidate's website!! How easy to see his or her "resume!"

If we compare voting for our next president to hiring a job candidate, wouldn't we want to compare resumes and conduct interviews with the most qualified candidates that meet our pre-determined criteria? What are YOU looking for in a president?

Usually, an employer likes to hire someone who has experience performing the same or similar duties as the open job position. We don't have a candidate with experience handling the presidential duties, but the governor of a state will have had similar duties.

We would not want to overlook character or judgement since we would not want to hire someone who was very skilled and intelligent, but was willing to trade away our liberties for their own personal gain or through poor judgement.

We would not want to hire someone who said one thing one day, but changed his or her views the next. So we would want to hire someone who was strong in their beliefs, even if they did not completely align with our own.

We would want to hire someone who has demonstrated success in areas that are the same or similar to those areas where we need success in the future.

We would want to hire someone who would work well with people even if their viewpoints and culture are dramatically different.

Hmmm... Do we have such a candidate in Mike Huckabee?

Educate yourself!! Then vote!

January 23, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  19. cary henderson

> It bothers me that so many people are anti America here. Mike Huckabee is just pro-American and wants this country to suceed in it's efforts in the world.

January 23, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  20. Bobby

Agree, Larry. I wouldn't vote for John, "Americans wouldn't pick lettuce for fifty dollars an hour " Mccain, for dogcatcher. I'm also getting quite sick of his forty year old P.O.W. whining. A lot of folks suffered more than he did, even losing their lives, and it's still happening. Get over it McCain!! and go party with your friend Teddy Kennedy.

January 23, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  21. Judi A. Nickels

I find it interesting that the comment I previously left was one that was deleted. So, what was the cause of deletion? Considering the types of things that have been posted, I am quite confused. Is it something against the opinion of a rationalist opposed to having religion forced down one's throat?

January 23, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  22. Dennis

Thank you to Mr Hunter. I believes he knows as I do that Mike Huckabee is the man for this job. Isn't it time that we had a Good Person as President? No one has ever done so much with so little money as Governor Huckabee has. You could tell that during the debates that Mr Hunter was also a good man who cares about America.

January 23, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  23. David, Oregon City

Overwhelmed by their access to voters, the elite media talk show hosts are unknowing splitting the conservative vote, as they did with Gerald Ford, Bob Dole and Ross Perot, rather than allowing conservatives and moderates to naturally come together and elect a conservative candidate without the brain washing and negative slandering from the elite media talk show hosts.

As the talk hosts continue to mislead and split the conservative party votes the liberal candidates prepare to win.

Wake up conservatives; ignore “Rush” and the other “Rush” want-a-bees. Support Mike Huckabee for President and send a message that you have a brain, by saying no thanks to their propaganda.

January 23, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  24. joe watkins

its tim e for the republicans to pull together behind Huckabee. the hatred, bickering, senseless chatter, wasteful energy spent, etc, etc, does nothing but give the democrats a big laugh. We should all be very fearful of what could happen if they get in full power. I know it must be very difficult for many to accept the honest, straightforward candidacy of Huckabee because of so many dishonest choices we have had for decades. But folks, we absolutely must pull together for the good of our country. Check the record out thoroughly as I have tried to do. Read his books. And 1 last thing .......'BUY AMERICAN, THE COUNTRY YOU SAVE, MIGHT BE OURS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  25. Davis

How can the person who said they are a christian conservative say they won't vote for Huckabee..? So you are going to vote for someone that is for partial birth abortion or against the values that you are taught every sunday? Maybe you need to dig deeper into that prayer life and do some more research, consider the source when you hear negative things about ANY candidate.

so... with that being said...
    youtube.com search words Romney Lying
    and you'll see endless videos in context of him lying on manyyyyyyyyyyy many many many occasions... please don't fall for this garbage. He is suave to the eye but deceptive and probably more like a wolf in sheeps closing then Hilary.
    Besides the fact that every interview and debate he says the same stinkin thing!! Washington is broken, were going to fix it. I turned around companies and fixed them. blah blah... yeah basically doing deals with the devil overseas and firing hundreds of people that had been working for years and years like you did at those companies. Its all in your own words.... mr mitt.

If you watch video after video of Mike's Interviews ... he is consistent, honest, and genuine and candid. You won't see him posing w/ people just for the photo shot like other candidates. You take him how you get him. He is the REAL DEAL!

Some of you may doubt, but just wait and see what a great nation we have.
    No harm meant... do the research w/ an open mind and heart over a period of time and the TRUTH always comes out....

ps. ... dog hanging, letting criminals go... etc.. look deeper then the anti' ads.
    and remember we are voting for a human not a perfect statue ... .the difference is at least HUCKABEE will own up to his wrongs as he has already mentioned if you have been watching his speeches.

No matter who you are leaning towards... just please do the leg work before you cast this all important United States changing vote.

peace to all.