January 23rd, 2008

Hunter endorses Huckabee

The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.
The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - California Rep. Duncan Hunter, a former presidential candidate, announced Wednesday he is endorsing Mike Huckabee's White House bid.

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Hunter said in a statement. “Of the remaining candidates I feel that he is strongly committed to strengthening national defense, constructing the border fence and meeting the challenge of China’s emergence as a military superpower that is taking large portions of America’s industrial base.

"Along with these issues of national security, border enforcement and protecting the U.S. industrial base, I see another quality of Mike Huckabee’s candidacy that compels my endorsement," he added. "Mike Huckabee is a man of outstanding character and integrity. I saw that character over the last year of campaigning and was greatly impressed. The other Republican candidates have many strengths and I wish them all well."

Filed under: Duncan Hunter
  1. Joe

I originally wanted to back Duncan Hunter, but didn't see him heading to a viable campaign. I contacted his campaign directly and indirectly and could not see the burning desire. I think very highly of Rep. Hunter, and am glad he is backing Gov. Huckabee, my final choice.

January 23, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. Shaun

Way to GO Duncan Hunter!!! Mike Huckabee is your choice because consistent, unwavering character does matter. Unlike Flip-Flop-Flip-Flop-Flip-Flop Romney that has connections to Bain Capital Company that is buddy-buddy with a Chinese (People's Liberation Army) Company. The Chinese will steal 3COM's technology secrets just like they did with other U.S. secrets through their dummy companies in the last 10 years. Come on people wake up and smell the coffee!!!

January 23, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Matthew Plummer

Hunter had mostly Military Support but its comming Huckabee's way.

January 23, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. Wisconsin4Huckabee

Duncan's endorsement is truly great for Huckabee. Now if we could get Ron Paul to do the same and throw in a few million dollars to boot, we'd be in good shape. Mike is the best candidate left. He was an outstanding governor...bringing Arkansas from near the bottom in school test scores to the top 10. He rebuilt his state's infrastructure and it now boasts some of the best interstate roads in the country. In 2005, Time Magazine named him one of the nation's top 5 governors. He has the administrative ability and common sense that we need. He is articulate, kind and deeply patriotic. If you like Mike, support him with your money as well as your words. GO MIKE GO!

January 23, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. John in GA

I remember when I used to be a faithless skeptical cynic too. Now I see that Huckabee is the last best hope for America to the dismay of the far right AND far left. Why some of you nayysayers are hung up on evolution here I'll never understand. You believe what you have been taught in public schools the past few decades as if it was the gospel truth and ignore what the Bible has claimed for centuries and in doing so fulfill the prophecy of God's Word! Huckabee has my vote and has inspired me to get off the sidelines and into the game like no one since JFK!

January 23, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. Todd

The "only true conservative" in the race is, has been, and will be the one and only Ron Paul from Texas.

Wake up, America. Before it is too late. Do not be fooled by Mike Huckabee or John McCain. We cannot afford another 4 years like the last 20. Vote for freedom, vote for the Constitution, vote Ron Paul in 08!

Many of us will support Paul all the way. If the Republicans want to insure another Clinton administration, just run a McCain or Huckabee in November. There are enough of us who are informed that used to vote for the lesser of two evils. No more. We will stand with Dr Paul and if that takes away votes from the establishment flunkie then so be it.

Tax cut schmax cut, its time to address the monetary issues, and restore real freedom. No more distractions abroad. We spend billions and billions defending everyone elses borders but not our own?

Stop the insanity.

Good day and God bless,

January 23, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. GOP Gal

I agree with Duncan Hunter on this one. Mike Huckabee's campaign has restored my optimism about my party and my hope in America. He's the most principled man in the conservative candidate field, by far. Thanks for recognizing it, Rep. Hunter!

January 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. Todd

Unless Hunter is going to donate millions of dollars to Huckabee's campaign, it won't matter. The Huckster is nothing more than an answer to a trivia question in the future. There is nothing more UN-Christian than an individual using Jesus for personal gain of power. (I am a born-again Christian, btw....)

January 23, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. Cydney

I noticed a mistake in the article:

"I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Huckabee said in a statement.

I think you meant "Hunter". :)

Good news for Huckabee! I'm so stoked to see the results of this.

January 23, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. Gil - California

I am sorry to say this, but I believe the only way Huckabee would get a chance at getting elected is if Hillary is the Democrat's nominee, and that would only be due to the anti-Clinton feeling in many parts of this land.

January 23, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Evergreen State

Sorry, but Huckabee is not presidential in my view. Anyone who acts like a child the way he bashes candidates because of their religion or age does not deserve to hold the highest office in the nation. We need strong, consistent leaders who distinguish themselves as patriots. Not school yard bullies. Chuck Norris and Huck can have a nice career making "total gym" commercials.

Go Mitt...

January 23, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  12. Jared

A loser endorsing another loser.

January 23, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  13. John TX

Another great endorsment on top of a long list of great endorsments! This guy has my vote!!!

January 23, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. Brian

Hey Doug,

Evolution is a workable THEORY, hard to prove scientifically all the way through, with plenty of solid facts / clues therin as well to be sure. As a democrat and a Christian following Jesus, I find it illogical and useless to think of science and the theory of evolution as anything other than describing as best we can how God did it. God is not excluded by science, rather science explains in beautiful detail the supernatural / mostly unexplained creation (heard of metaphysics Doug?)- scientists agree there is more unknown than known. Next, if you care to do a literary analysis of the Bible, it is a love story, not a science explanation. Some parts of the Bible are trying to establish that God created the world using not-to-be literally understood, but to paint the picture for us to understand, not master scientifically.
    Mike Huckabee might just get my vote- he may have weaknesses, but all those running do. We need a brave visionary executive, not a whiney, complainer. If Obama said something about abortion being wrong and here's how we're going to keep reducing the killing of innocent new human beings by actually telling the truth about how it's obviously wrong to not take responsibility for ones behavior (making babies, etc.) I might vote for him too. The others are same 'ol, Edwards is too angry and too liberal. Lets see what you got Mikey!

January 23, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  15. Bob

Do you mean Hunter (not Huckabee)

January 23, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  16. gusspoon

Mike Huckabee's politics are as conservative as anyone in the race......and the Democrats fear him....

I think the people who are against him must hate him for some other reason
    besides politics?

If they come forward a say why they really do hate Mike I bet he could help sooth away their fears!

January 23, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  17. David Deering

Duncan Hunter is not a man to say such things lightly.

Maybe this will at least convince some, who like me are concerned about following conservative solutions, to take a closer look at Mike Huckabee; instead of immediately believing the Romney spin machine.

January 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  18. Jonathan, Florida

Now if Fred Thompson will do the same! :o)

Can you say touchdown – slam dunk – grandslam and goal!

January 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. Vinnie

I'm leary of Huckabee, but I supported Hunter and value his endorsement. I WILL NOT vote for Romney or McCain! So that leaves Huckabee. Sigh.

January 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. Anita in Florida

I agree with most of what Canaan said , however, Huck's campaign is not faltering. The fella's a real marathon runner and understands the power of hitting the wall and getting a second wind.

He has folks who have never been involved in a campaign before but are compelled to throw our all into supporting Huckabee. All of us have different priorities, but he has touched the core of our soul and we really really believe he is the guy we need to lead this nation into a totally fresh new better path.
    Everyone else on both sides is just more of the same old line of boloney.

So sad the Republican party wants the same old good-ole boys who only pay lip-service to the true concerns of "everyman".

With everything in me, I'm behind Gov H. I hope Fred T will have the wisdom to follow Hunters lead.

January 23, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  21. concerned american

United States of American NEEDS Mike Huckabee even if for only one term!!!
    to help restore and preserve what the founding fathers hopes and dreams were for a great nation. Duncan Hunter would be a great choice for Vice President.
    Huckabee would make Hillary look like an idiot at any debate, his quick wit will out shine her arrogance.....GOP elites better wake up!!....Who was the last prez with that quick wit.?.....Ronald Reagan. He united our "United States" and brought hope and re kindled our dreams..

January 23, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  22. Anonymous

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Huckabee said in a statement.
    _____________

So why is it so newsworthy that Governor Huckabee endorses himself?

January 23, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Robert

I supported Hunter. Huckabee has my vote for sure!

January 23, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Barbara Jones

That is a great thing to do! Glad to see that Duncan Hunter recognizes the worth of Mike Huckabee. I am indeed pleased, and am honored to be behind Mike Huckabee for President. America, wake up and see that we ALL need to back Mike Huckabee.

January 23, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. John

This is great news! Thompson's out and now Duncan Hunter endorses Mike. I believe Mike will score a tremendous victory in the debate Thursday night become the winner in Florida.

He's the logical choice and everyone but the Washington insiders are starting to realize it.

January 23, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |