January 23rd, 2008

Hunter endorses Huckabee

The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.
The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - California Rep. Duncan Hunter, a former presidential candidate, announced Wednesday he is endorsing Mike Huckabee's White House bid.

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Hunter said in a statement. “Of the remaining candidates I feel that he is strongly committed to strengthening national defense, constructing the border fence and meeting the challenge of China’s emergence as a military superpower that is taking large portions of America’s industrial base.

"Along with these issues of national security, border enforcement and protecting the U.S. industrial base, I see another quality of Mike Huckabee’s candidacy that compels my endorsement," he added. "Mike Huckabee is a man of outstanding character and integrity. I saw that character over the last year of campaigning and was greatly impressed. The other Republican candidates have many strengths and I wish them all well."

Filed under: Duncan Hunter
  1. Tim, Minnesota

Huck will be joining Hunter soon. .07% , is the supporters Hunter had

January 23, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. Thomas

I think this is a geat endorsement coming from a geat man. "Way to go Duncan!" "Kick butt Huckster!"

January 23, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  3. Pete

Now that the news is out that Rudy is low on money, Mitt is the only candidate that can go the distance and win in November. If the people of Florida do not wake up and give Mitt a win that would make the dems and the media very happy indeed. A vote for McCain or the Huckster is a vote for the Democrats and economic & international failure the next four years.
    The Huckster will be out after getting 3rd/4th in Florida so why waste a vote.

January 23, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. Jay

It's funny to me how so many different people can claim so many different things. The process here is to find the candidate who most embodies your personal beliefs then support them for the nomination. All the candidates have good qualities as well as some questionable ones. There is no need to bash one candidate or their supporters for following what they believe.

I support Mike Huckabee because I like his Fair Tax proposal, I like his pro-life position, and I like the fact that he will allow the generals in the field to dictate how war is fought rather than those safe and sound in Congress. There are several other issues I support as well, just don't want to drag this on for forever.

I feel that John McCain is a very honorable patriot who has given the best years of his life to the defense of our country. I don't believe that he is the best person to lead the charge in reforming Washington DC.

Governor Mitt Romney is good man with strong family values, as many Mormons do. I disagree with his past positions on same sex marriages, not to mention that it is coming to light that one of his companies is hashing out a deal with the Chinese to manufacture our defense weapons.

Congressman Ron Paul is a zealot when it comes to fiscal issues. And he is correct, I think we spend way too much money protecting other countries at the expense of our own. However, I do not think he is going to support our allies if, God forbid, the situation ever arises. Isolationism is good to an extent, but too much will hurt us.

I believe that Duncan Hunter's endorsement of Mike Huckabee is a good thing. I think that his support will help the Huckabee campaign with a new influx of support, however small it may be. But that's all it takes, 1 voter at a time.

January 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. GaryO Virginia Beach

If you Republicans really wanted to do what's best for our country, you would for the Democratic candidate in the general election.

Our country may not survive another Republican administration.

January 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. Dixie McKie

Hunter's endorsement of Mike Huckabee makes as much sense as Minuteman Jim Gilchrist's endorsment of him. I am stunned.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Mike Huckabee's record on illegal aliens is abysmal, just ghastly. He's never met an illegal alien that he didn't want to give instant citizenship, a driver's license, free medical help, a free education, et cetera, ad naseum.

If I wanted to vote for an open borders candidate, I didn't think I'd have to look for one in the Republican party – although there at least two of them: Huckabee and McCain. But they are Democrats masquerading as Republicans. What a joke!

No thanks.

January 23, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. John F W

Opinions based on no information or misinformation are not helpful to voters who want to make an informed decision about candidates. Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, Bauer the mainstream media (MSM), the Republican establishment, the conservative elite, the religious leadership, the talking heads, and the pundits can repeat the misrepresentation that Mr. Huckabee’s economic and foreign policy views are liberal from now until November but that won’t make it so. They can say Huckabee’s support is limited to evangelicals, but that is far from true. They can state that Huckabee is out of contention is Florida and perhaps nationally but that is absolutely not the case. Visit the web sites of the candidates and research them on the internet. Read articles written by them and about them. View videos of their speeches, interviews, and debates. After your research you may come to your own conclusion (not one fed to you by others) that Mr. Huckabee is by far the strongest advocate of faith and family values. He is very reasonable and logical in his economic policy, particularly regarding economic stimulus and job creation in the short term and the Fair Tax in the long term. Huckabee is a leader capable of putting together a formidable team of experts for foreign policy, defense, and security. He is very conservative regarding the size and scope of the federal government and states’ rights. Finally, Mike Huckabee enjoys widespread unwavering popular support. These are what make a candidate electable, not their “sound bites” in a debate or interview or their jabs at their opponents.

January 23, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  8. TP

I dont understand why people get on here and just bash a man for getting/giving support. Dang we are all Americans and we live in the best country on the planet....Huckabee wants to keep it up. Is that wrong?

He isnt forcing faith by the way....i dk where people are getting that idea. His Christianity can only help our country. Unless you are against the ten commandments and like to murder people, cheat on your wife, steal and so forth, then i can see why you dont want a Christian in office.

Chill out...he is human just like every other candidate....except Hillary. No one really knows what she is....

Huckabee actually reminds me of a more conservative TR...if anyone knows who he was. Probably not but oh well no one ever remembers the good anymore...thanks LIBERAL media

January 23, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. Bill in Pennsylvania

Hunter did not do that for the VP since he is not a logical choice being from an unwinable state for Repbulicans and, as a fellow conservative, would not be perceived as a "balancing" of the ticket. His endorsement is, I'm sure, genuine. I respect him for it and agree with his favorable statements about Gov. Huckabee. I am sickened by the establishment Republican machine (including talk radio) writing him off, and hope he wins if for no other reason.

January 23, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. Eric

You Huck supporters need to research his past record. He is fiscally not a conservative. He raised taxes many times as governor & expanded the state government by the thousands. He also supported illegal aliens every chance he could for the cheap labor it brought to the state's agricultural businesses. Socially he is a conservative, but fiscally he is as liberal as it gets.

January 23, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  11. LEGRE ZURC

some of you guys are saying that you are conservative evangelical.....
    yet your views and convictions are too wickedly liberal.

some of you says that Huckabee must believe in Evolution, if not he is a clown.
    if we that do not believe in Evolution are clowns... it's okey.

but you, who do believe in Evolution came from a Gorilla

January 23, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I like Mike's stances on the taxes. I believe that enacting a national sales tax would great for one reason: Folks who work under the table, will have to start paying. Finally we can even the playing field and get the folks who we support on health care, food stamps, social security to start paying into there own future. Look around and see how many people do a little woodworking, plumbing, or turning wrenches for a $100.00 handoff and don't report it. These folks couldn't get by the system when they try to purchase there next pair of pants. They would indeed, help pay for their future.

Furthermore, Mike has tried to dodge the religion questions and challenged the interviewers on these matters, but they still ask. And like any other question of any other candidate, he will respond, and wisely I might add.

January 23, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. David- California

Hunter has no future in California after his stupid endorsement of the Liberal in preacher's clothing. Look up the Huckster's "real" record on the search machine and you will discover why Judicial Watch called him one of the most corrupt politicians in America. The records show that Mike Huckabee was charged with misusing state funds and accepting questionable gifts from the special interests and would have been promoted to the Big House, not the White House, if he hadn't had the evidence destroyed, Where is the character and integrity?

January 23, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  14. Mary Lou

Great news for Huckabee. Not surprised because Hunter seems like a man of character also. This leaves one principled, charismatic, social conservative in the race.
    Republicans WAKE UP. Huckabee has the best chance to beat Hillary in the Fall, and he will make a great president.

January 23, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Furthermore, Mike has tried to dodge the religion questions and challenged the interviewers on these matters, but they still ask. And like any other question of any other candidate, he will respond.

There is one thing that is absolutely awe inspiring about his campaign as governor: handing the vote of an increased tax to "We The People". When was the last time any politician relinquished there right to vote or power to have the last say. MIKE DID IT.

That's is believing in the sovereignty of the nation.

Above all – MIKE stands beside what he says. No back peddling with him. He says what means, and means what he says.

January 23, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. Carl

This is HUGE Thank's Duncan!!!!!! helping out the HUCKABOOOOOOM!!!!

January 23, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  17. HuckFan

GO MIKE GO!!!

Huck is the ONLY one who can win against the liberals. He's right on all the issues. He is JUST what America needs. Beware of the MSM...get your info elsewhere.

Thank you Hunter! Go Huck!!!

January 23, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. Divot

This is the most bizarre thing I have seen in a long time. This site is full of what appears to be blind devotion.

At the start I was equally interested in Brownback, Romney, Thompson, Hunter, Huckabee, Ron Paul and willing to consider Guliani and would never consider McCain. I realized I needed to get to know everyone and set out to get educated on everyone. I am sorry to say that after extensive review Huckabee has proven to be the WORST choice out of all these options except for McCain and Ron Paul.

How many of you on this thread are evangelicals who like Huckabee for that reason? Or because he has a good campaigning personality (I'll giveyou that).
    But other than that, he is not strong on integrity, flip flops on his positions like anyone else inspite of accusing others of doing the same, and was the closest thing to a socialist in actual actions than anyone else BY FAR among the republican candidates.

It is puzzling to say the least to hear you all on here talk about his integrity, his conservatism, etc, etc, etc. People keep saying "get to know the real facts about Huckabee and you'll love him." I did get the facts and only McCain and Paul are worse.

January 23, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. David

I don't think most people consider outstanding character and integrity as two negatives. These may be the two most important qualities even above party and politics.

January 23, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  20. John

Have any of you romney supporters read Ducan Hunters letter. How can we trust a person to lead us in a war against terrorism when he has financial connections to suspected terrorist orginizations? Sen. McCain he is going to protect our freedoms. Now how do we trust a man to protect the constitution when he has strongly influanced the abolishment of the first amendment to so many groups in this country.Can we say McCain-Feingold? And Ron who good luck to all of you who support him. I LIKIE MIKE. he is the best and only man for the job

January 23, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. Joyce Todd

I am 69 years old and I have never felt so in tune with any candidate as I have Mike Huckabee.. and yes, I have donated and I intend to donate more. I am also not what you might be thinking...a "Bible thumper" but I truly and sincerely believe Mike Huckabee is honest, very able, and a once-in-a lifetime candidate who will unite America and mend fences with our neighbors...Also, I believe he will be strong and stand tall regardless of criticism and the negatives that he will surely have to withstand. He WILL BE the uniter; not the divider... Think about it America.. We need Mike Huckabee.

January 23, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  22. MyKisa

Hunter was my first choice, but I knew Huckabee stood a better chance. I like Mike, but I LOVE Fair Tax, and so does Hunter.

January 23, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  23. Soldiergal

As an active-duty Soldier and registered Democrat, I'm thrilled about this development. The endorsement of a fellow who thinks the residents of DC should be able to carry concealed weapons can only underscore the more troubling aspects of Huckabee's candidacy. I like Mike as a neighborhood-minister-type, but could never vote for him.

January 23, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. Sarah

Duncan Hunter is a man of principal and honor. He is honest and trustworthy. He has nothing to gain by endorsing Mike Huckabee. ( Look at all the condemnation heaped upon Hunter just from those making comments.)

I have watched all the Republican debates. Debate after debate I wondered why they didn't ask Hunter or Huckabee more questions. Their answers were intelligent, articulate, and true. I actually enjoyed hearing these two men speak.

Hunter stood by debate after debate watching, Gooliani, the Rominator, Mcboring, and Too-old Thompson answer question after question. Their answers were predictable, boring, and "canned." He knows a thing or two about all these men. I believe that he knows a thing or two about Mike Huckabee, and this "thing or two" led Hunter to endorse him.

January 23, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  25. Mike

Right Dixie...

And your sources would be??

January 23, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |