January 23rd, 2008

Hunter endorses Huckabee

The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.
The conservative congressman is backing Huckabee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - California Rep. Duncan Hunter, a former presidential candidate, announced Wednesday he is endorsing Mike Huckabee's White House bid.

“I got to know Governor Huckabee well on the campaign trail,” Hunter said in a statement. “Of the remaining candidates I feel that he is strongly committed to strengthening national defense, constructing the border fence and meeting the challenge of China’s emergence as a military superpower that is taking large portions of America’s industrial base.

"Along with these issues of national security, border enforcement and protecting the U.S. industrial base, I see another quality of Mike Huckabee’s candidacy that compels my endorsement," he added. "Mike Huckabee is a man of outstanding character and integrity. I saw that character over the last year of campaigning and was greatly impressed. The other Republican candidates have many strengths and I wish them all well."

Filed under: Duncan Hunter
  1. TSilo

Well, that's stunning! Used to have a lot of respect for Duncan Hunter. The Huckster wants to give instate tuition to illegal kids. Duncan, what happened dude?

January 23, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  2. Dwight

Pleased to see Huckabee is finallly getting to know Huckabee. Wonder what Hunter said when he did the endorsement?

January 23, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. Rosalie Powell

Go Huck, great endorsement from Hunter. Just one comment, hasn't anyone ever seen a misprint in a news account before? DUH!

January 23, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. Bob C., California

Gollllllleeeeee! It's interesting how RELIGION and the SAME religious affiliation is the only thing that motivates this endorsement. Mormons for Mitt, etc. Didn't we learn anything from the idiot currently in the White House? "God wants me to be President," he told us. And my God, look at the damage he's caused this country and how we are perceived in the world. Religion should NOT be considered one way or the other when running for the highest office in the land.

January 23, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. isukusa

Sounds like there's a bunch of jealous Ron Paulers out there taking it out on the Huck; I actually like Ron Paul but I like tweaking his supporters even better.

January 23, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. Kaylina

I think Huckabee is a great choice! He's the only one on the campaign trail that makes sense when he talks. All of the others keep going back and explaining why they did or said something that contradicts what they say they'll do if they get elected. And he's definitely not "buying" the presidency.

January 23, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Liz

This is Great News. What a wonderful endorsement for HUCKABEE!! Also, Rep. John Linder (R-Duluth) wrote an article today stating that Huckabee was the Most Reagan Candidate in the GOP Primary. And, the MinuteMen Project supports Huckabee - as do the Fair Taxers. So, why is it that the Republican Elite & Conservative Media have their heads in the sand - Huckabee is going to be our Next President!!!! Go Huckabee:)

January 23, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  8. Jeanne

In all this ping pong of who is the best conservative, who resembles Jimmy Carter, and who has the most money, we get to see the worst side of ourselves.We stomp around plugging our elephant ears and swishing our donkey tails when we have real problems to fix. We care more about positioning and parties than we do partnering to find honest solutions.

And because we aren't independent enough to get to know the candidates individually, we rely upon the media to spoon feed us their squash, cooked with controversy for ratings.

I'm republican but I care more about a president who can bring this country together, and the only one who talks, walks, lives, seeks, and believes "unity" is Huckabee. Overall impressions for me ... Romney, too shiny; McCain mighty old; Edwards too narrow; Clinton too cold. Guiliani too city; Obama too vague; what does it matter – we'll find reasons to rag.

Huckabee may not be the wealthiest candidate, but I'm not the wealthiest voter. I don't sense that the others can really relate to the common person. I want goodness not greed, and sincerity not sin.

And the last time I checked, primates haven't become plastic surgeons – although unfortunately some politicians – female and male – are acting like primates.

January 23, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  9. JoelK

A lot of commentators are hitting Huckabee hard for believing in Biblical creation. Well, he is in a lot of good company. Anyone who seriously and fairly looks at the issue realizes that evolution and creation both take faith to believe. Creationists like myself realize that the amazing design in creation had a Designer. I am a M.S. in Electrical Engineering, and I can attest to the fact that the most advanced supercomputer conceived by man can not compare to the logical/intelligence system found in even the most simple of creatures. Natural selection can't explain it. My brother is a PhD in EE and my father a PhD in organic chemistry. They, too, are creationists by faith and by intellectual conviction as well.

January 23, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  10. Sally

Stop lying about Mike Huckabee.

Lying is a sin.

Your sham is falling apart at the seams. People see the truth for themselves once they dig deeper than Rush Limbaugh's lies.

January 23, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  11. John Allan

Duncan who?

January 23, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  12. John Allan

Huckabee may be charismatic but he sure as heck is NOT "likable" and the people who keep saying that have not followed his campaign closely enough. Did you see that dirty trick he pulled on Mitt Romney, saying he wasn't going to air a negative ad, only to show it to the everyone in the mainstream media moments later. What a snake! That's the dirtiest political trick I've ever seen anybody pull.

January 23, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. Bill, Covington,LA

Duncan Hunter was my pick from day one but the news media and the operatives at the debates always made sure to disregard him. Now that he has abandon his bid for the presidency I trust the nomine will have the good judgement to offer him the VP slot. you can not find a better pick.

January 23, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  14. Ron Greer

No more Arkansas Governors. No more Southern Baptist Preachers. Sent you money, Hunter, but no votes to the huckster.

January 23, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  15. Ruffedge

Dixie McKie, you have to figure that maybe Duncan Hunter and Jim Gilchrist don't get their info from the talk radio propaganda and spin. They must be going directly to the source. I don't even think that lies and distortions that spew out of talk radio can even compare to the muck that you're pushing out.

January 23, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  16. Betty

Hunter is a moron who obviously doesn't know what real conservatives are - and doesn't know that respecting the Constitution is something they MUST uphold above all else. Why on earth would he send his supporters to Huckabee, who wants to Christianize the Constitution in DIRECT violation of the First Amendment? Huckabee also has ZERO character - his numerous ethical violations and instances of cronyism during his tenure as Governor attest to that.

Ron Paul is the only real conservative left. He's the only one who understands anything about integrity, fiscal responsibility, and independence. The others can't seem to see past the wads of money being dangled in front of their noses by big business and foreign companies.

January 23, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  17. Jim in Orlando, FL

Hunter is a good and decent man. Huck may get not my vote, but it does not diminish Hunter's integrity or character to endorse him.

January 23, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. AJ, Iowa City, IA

Consider Mitt Romney!!!! Everyone else wrote him off, yet he is WINNING THE ELECTION!!!! Ask yourself, "Why don't I trust him?" Do some research and don't listen to your pastor, political analyst or any other bias opinion.

Romney '08!!!!

January 23, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  19. David

Huckabee is the right man for the job. Go Huckabee!

January 23, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. john stiles, texas

The Huckster also has the support of the council on foriegn relations, an organization who in my opinion has as one of its primary goals the destruction of US soveriegnty. Go Huck!

January 23, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. Cindy, Iowa

Those that are confused how Hunter could endorse Huckabee need to consider that getting more information on Huckabee. (Real information, not Romney mistruths) He is very much conservative and the closest to Hunter and Thompson of all the options. The fact that he is a man of sterling character doesn't hurt either. He vastly improved the lives and the finances of the everyday citizens during the time he governed Arkansas. He not only improved education, roads and other quality of life issues, he also greatly increased the discretionary income in the pockets of his citizens. (at all levels) Big business in Arkansas loves him and the regular guy on the street there loves him too.

January 23, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. Larry

ANYBODY but McCain. McCain has never met a war or illegal alien he didn't like!

January 23, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  23. Jack

Duncan Hunter's support is a confirmation of what alot of people around this country are seeing in Gov. Huckabee. I am so PROUD in the best sense of that word to be a Mikc Huckabee supporter. He truly is the best candidate with the best ideas - across the board.

I've been looking for a person I could really trust to be our President. That whatever the situation or issue that he faced– he would seriously weigh ALL of the information that would be at his disposal (which is far more than any of us are privy to) and with a strength of character together with strong, solid principles, and courage based in the Judeo- Christian ethic - would make decisions that would take all Americans up – vertically as he says. More than anyone I've ever seen run for office, I trust that Mike Huckabee IS THAT MAN> One who would listen to but not necessarily be swayed by special interest groups and polls and would have the discernment to pick strong, talented, knowledgeable, and experienced advisors.

I believe I have found– we have found- and hopefully America will find that – that man is Mike Huckabee. Let the "Prairie Fire" of support spread across this nation for the NEXT president of the United States.

January 23, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  24. Romney Economy

When Romeny said Jobs Jobs Jobs he earned my vote.

McCain is all about WAR

I need a job not a war

January 23, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  25. Hooks

Oh my god, Ann Coulter is gonna flip the f out. She's a huge Hunter supporter, and a huge Huckabee hater. Where are you now Ann? Where are you now?

January 23, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |