January 23rd, 2008

McCain counts on fellow vets' vote in Florida

Sen. John McCain talks with supporters during a campaign stop this week in Miami, Florida.

PENSACOLA, Florida (CNN) - For John McCain, northwest Florida is full of memories.

"How proud I am to have gone through pilot training here," the former naval aviator tells a crowd in Pensacola, near a naval air station where he trained decades ago after graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy.

The senator from Arizona laughs as he recalls the "various cultural establishments" he visited as a young man and adds: "My entire paycheck every month was dedicated to helping the economy of Pensacola."

– CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Full story

Filed under: Florida • John McCain
  1. Anti Clintons

Insane McCain your living in the past, time to step aside and retire. No i wouldn't vote for him, I'm retired from the military, we need someone that will help this country, not continue fighting all over the place.
    Go Romney!

January 23, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Mrjimbo, TX

Anonymous,
    Sure wish that the Army would have granted me a waiver on my hearing, see, I am deaf.
    AND, I support many military on a volunteer basis regularly, what do you do?

January 23, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. Tom Masters

Duh (regarding the headline)

January 23, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Heather, Chicago IL

interesting, my comments dont work anymore. wonder why ?

January 23, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. James, Houston,TX.

McCain a "NAM" P.O.W. resident of the Hanoi Hilton for 51/2 yrs. Gave UP FLAG and Colors in Lieu of his Skin. A Hero? Hiho Sir, that qualifies You to be President? No wonder Rupert backed G.W. Now there a real Hero; Hit the Trail and Run! Daddy Bush, did I Do Good?

January 23, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. Spencer

Great post, Mr. Grant.

January 23, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  7. Steph

Isn't he awesome?

January 23, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Hillphil

After reading these post, maybe I shouldn't be so afraid that McCain will be nominated. cause I was Scared he would.

January 23, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  9. Bill, Covington,LA

I am a former Marine from WWII and John Keeting Five McCain is the last person I would ever vote for. His only real entitlement to the hero title is being the son of admiral McCain.

January 23, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  10. mr.fair tax

NO McCAIN!! A DEMO IN REAL LIFE-VOTE ROMNEY!!
    A TRUE LEADER!!!!

January 23, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  11. Jimmy

I am a vet living in Florida and my vote is for Ron Paul.

January 24, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  12. BullOfMizzou, MO

I am a Retired Army Officer with 20 years service, and a Vietnam Combat Vet. I am a Libertarian, who votes Conservative, and lean toward Republican values and political votes........I like John McCain , in general, because of his Honorable Past Service and his Sacrifices as a POW. He is a fellow Veteran, and a good one......But, However.....I do not like what Ive seen and heard about John"s personal temper, his attitude for his Party, and his combative "Know It All" argumentive attacks and insults to his comrads in Congress. He appears to be a man who is hard to communicate with on important issues, and is not a concensus builder or cooperator. He leans for Liberal issues and ignores his Party's values and philosophies on too many Important Issues and has turned his back on the Conservative agenda. He is just too cozy with Liberal cohorts in Government.

Mr McCain is not the right choice for the Presidency, just because he put a lot of time in Government Service, is a Washington Insider, and displays an attitude that it is his Due......Its time for the Old Soldier to step aside now, relax in his Golden Years, take pride in his accomplishments, and support the only True Conservative still in the Race....Its Time for Mitt Romney.

January 24, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. suze

Well, now he can count on Independents to vote for him too.

There are reports that Florida Primary workers are allowing (and are being specifically told to allow) Independents to vote Republican in today's Primary. McCain will stoop to any level. Sad.
    s

January 29, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. tiernansmom

Did you know that Ron Paul has gotten more military donations from active and retired vets than any other candidate, republican or democrat? Could this be because he is the only republican who is against the Unconstitutional Iraq war, he is the only candidate Dem. or Rep. that voted against invading Iraq while in Congress, and spoke out against the danger of funding an unconstitutional war that we cannot afford. He is against the idea that we have to expand our empire and police the world. He has promised to end the fiat money system and to put us back on the Gold Standard. he is an expert in economics. He knows what causes the "bubbles" and how to stop them Forever, He is also a constitutionalist and and old school Republican. Not like todays fake Republicans like McCain, who are pro-open boarders, pro Big Brother and Big Governemt, Pro-war and as corrupt as all hell. Please take a sincere look at Ron Paul's history before making your decision. If you care about Freedom and Liberty please vote 4 Paul.

January 30, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |