January 23rd, 2008

Obama hits Clinton back in new radio ad

The Obama campaign is debuting an attack radio ad of its own.
The Obama campaign is debuting an attack radio ad of its own.

DILLON, South Carolina (CNN) - Hours afterDemocrat Hillary Clinton launched a radio ad throughout South Carolina criticizing chief rival Barack Obama for comments he made in reference to the Republican party, the Illinois senator's campaign announced they'll be launching their own ad in response.

Clinton's spot highlights a portion of Obama's recent interview with the Reno Journal-Gazette in which the Illinois senator said in part, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years."

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today?" a narrator asks.

Though not yet on the air, Obama's radio ad includes the claim that the New York senator is the bearer of "false attacks" and "will say anything to get elected."

"Obama 'did not say that he liked the ideas of Republicans," the announcer continues. "But it was Hillary Clinton, in an interview with Tom Brokaw, who quote 'paid tribute' to Ronald Reagan’s economic and foreign policy."

"She championed NAFTA – even though it has cost South Carolina thousands of jobs. And worst of all, it was Hillary Clinton who voted for George Bush’s war in Iraq."

The ad closes with the announcer saying, "She'll say anything and change nothing. It's time to turn the page."

The campaign said the spot will begin airing "in the next 24 hours" depending on how quickly media markets are able to add it to their rotation of advertisements.

–CNN Political Producer Chris Welch

1. Anderson

Obama you got yourself to ask a questions:

How do I feel?

January 23, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  2. Canada eh!

Not being an American, it's like being a fly on the wall watching this campaign unfold. I'm simple amazed at the comments that have been posted on numerous site, not only this one that reflect the sheer ignorance and lack of judgement by 'some' Americans. Although, I did say some, you are the same people that voted 'twice' for George Bush. Now, I can totally understand the error the first time around, but to vote for him the second time. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. (I think George tried saying that once and got tongue tied) Really... it's shame on you America. That is what this Canadian and many, many, many others around the world are saying about you and your decision to re-elect Bush. You now have an opportunity to correct the situation and you are bickering among yourselves about Obama or Clinton. American people, either one of these candidates will be a vast improvement over the current Bush or any other Republican. Therefore, re-focus your attention to the issues, demand your news media to focus on the issues and help either one of these capable people get prepared for the general election. American people wake up, it seems awful dark down there!
    PS. Canada is really cold and we live in igloos, so you guys shouldn't come up here ever.

January 23, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. WAL

Clinton began this last summer, calling Obama naive and irresponsible. That is when she lost me. He waited a long time to call her on her smears, but now he is making it plain that she is distorting everything he says. She has not learned her lesson, and people are really getting mad at her and Bill. She is living up to all the charges that the Republicans have leveled against her and Bill as dishonest and ruthless. I am so disappointed in them.

January 23, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  4. Scott Tas Australia

Clinton and Obama will wedge the democrats apart. Vote for Edwards he is clearly the best candidate.

January 23, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  5. Dave

Becky,

Do some research before insulting an entire group of people. He did not put that add out. A supporting group did. Hillary's supporters have done worse. I, for one, take offense for your ignorant sheep comment. Great way to keep the party together. Great attitude. You should be ashamed of yourself.

January 23, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  6. Katherine

Those of you attacking Obama – would you suggest he just didn't respond to her ad? How can he just concede on a point that is as important as this? It's not whining, it's having a backbone! If he can't defend himself against attacks from the Clintons, how can he defend the country?

January 23, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  7. Donna, NJ

Thanks for the "wake up call", Canada,eh! You are so on point!

January 23, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  8. Lena

What a shrew Hillary is. I get sick when I see Bill and remember what he did to the Presidence. What a waste of tiome and money when he was in office and lied under oath. I wish the two of them would just do the country a favor and retire.

January 23, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  9. Goon

It takes a real slimebag of a politician to get someone like Obama to sink to their level.

Hillary and Bill have dragged Obama into to the gutter and they will beat him with experience. Its sickening.

And I gotta love this doubletalk that Hillbots have that call him a wimp when he doesnt fight back, and a whiner when he does. typical.

January 23, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  10. Obama Staunch Supporter

Wake up everyone and smell the coffee. When attacked you fight back unless if you are a wimp or cry baby as one contibutor said. Who has a lot of dirty laundry to hide – Billary. But Obama in his statesmanship refuses to bow down to such dirty tricks – anything to get into the white house. I would sooner vote for a republican than for Billiary. I am on an all out war to make sure she does not win.

January 23, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  11. Collette

I cannot believe the Clinton's are BOTH ganging up on him. If you vote for Hillary you are really voting for BILL!. She needs to have her own voice and not his. We are not voting for Mr and Mrs President of the United States are we?

January 23, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Do you want to know what I think? I think theyboth need to stop fighting because that is setting a bad example to child and others. Not to mention Jesus. I know whats going to happen if we all don't stop fighting with each other. He created this Earth for a reason. One so that we could live FOREVER. For an ETRINTY. So they shouldn't be fighting. Let them know they need to stop. If they don't they can kill the world and the people can also kill the world with their violence. When the world ends the world will be covered in flames and be destroyed be a meteorite that will miss earth once more than hit us. When you see a lot of violence, agrueing and killing the world will end.

So Save the World. Don't kill it because you'll kill your self as well. Help save the world our world.

January 23, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. marty

To Canada eh!

We won't come up there if you don't come down here every time you need medical care you can't get up there. Fair enough.

January 23, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  14. ROSE

THE WAY I SEE IT, OBAMA HAS NO CHOICE THAN TO RESPOND. HE SHOWS HE HAS A FIGHTING SPIRIT AND CAN FIGHT FOR WHAT IS TRUE AND JUST FOR AMERICA. IF THE CLINTONS KEEP DISTORTING FACTS LIKE THESE, HOW DO THEY EXPECT THE REST OF THE WORLD WATCHING TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY IF ELECTED. HILL AND BILL, YOU LOST ME.

January 23, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  15. Hope in Detroit and I am white

Thanks Obama for calling the witch out.

January 23, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  16. katie

Obama 08!

January 23, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  17. Ray

Maybe Obama should stick to watching Cartoons. B A B Y!!

January 23, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  18. Former Clinton Fan

I doubt this would be going out at all if Hillary hadn't started this. Wake up Billarys! I am glad he is defending himself, but if he said nothing you would say he is weak or worse yet that her lies are right. See the light. The Clintons have so disappointed me that if she gets this I will be voting for Bloomberg or McCain. Sad, when people used to ask me who my favortie president was I used to say Clinton. Now I have seen their true colors though. As of 2008, my response will be:

OBAMA!!

January 23, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. Deborah

Americans please wake up , we need a change and new blood in the White House. If Hillary is the Democrated Nominee we are in for big trouble. The Clintons have so much negative baggage for the Republicans to have a field day in November. I have never voted republican however if she is the canidate in Nov. I will be voting Republican.

January 23, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  20. Bridget

The "Clinton Empire" is the same as "Bush Administration"!!!!!

Hillary did not deliver the Health Insurance Plan during her husband's two year presidential term!!!! Former president is not being a diplomat and he is seriously taking advantage of the media to undermine the change needed to get rid of the Corporate Giants sending jobs out of the United States of America!!!!

Corporate Lawyer working for a retail giant that has no respect for their employees does not have any interest for the citizens of the United States of America!!!!!!

January 23, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  21. Seam, Philly, Pa

Becky January 23, 2008 9:59 pm ET

Obama started this whole thing by putting a lying radio ad in spanish here in Nevada…he is such a jerk….and those who follow him…a bunch of ignorant sheep!!!
    -----------------------------------–

Beeeeecky, beeeeeecky, beeeeecky – that's how sheep call your name.

The only ignorant people are those that don't look into the facts, and your claim is 100% false.

January 23, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  22. carol

WAL – racist!

January 23, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  23. Anonymous

I'm just worried that this whole attack and retaliation cycle is going to hurt Obama's candidacy. However, one can't afford in today's politics to let attacks of the sort the Clintons are launching go unanswered. He must respond, but hopefully with more civility than his rivals.

January 23, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  24. Obama's Quagmire

I also thought that Obama was over the tit for tat...he's falling right in Clinton's trap. She says something stupid and he responds and sounds stupid himself. This is masterful tactics by the Clintons, they are making such light of Obama's post-partisanship. He's put himself in a quagmire now cause if he doesn't respond, it'll look like they are walking all over him, and when he does, he is showing he is no better than she is.

Clinton 08!

January 23, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  25. carol

Oh, is he going to whine when Osama calls him out?

January 23, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |