January 24th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a wild ride

Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks
Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks

(CNN) – Get ready for a wild ride - the next few days are going to be intense.

We have the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary on Saturday, followed by President Bush’s State of the Union Address before Congress Monday, and the Republican primary in Florida the very next night. Those will be big stories for us to cover, and we're gearing up big time. I will be heading up to New York to anchor our coverage from the CNN Election Center.

At the same time, we're already getting ready for some more big nights to follow. The Republican candidates will gather at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley next Wednesday, January 30, for their debate, moderated by Anderson Cooper. I will moderate the Democratic debate the next night at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles. Both are being co-sponsored with The Los Angeles Times and Politico.com, and begin at 8 p.m. ET.

The elections in two dozen states will follow less than a week later on Super Tuesday, February 5 - which means the stakes for the candidates will be huge in both debates.

I am sure most of you saw our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this week - the most widely watched presidential primary debate ever seen on cable television. If you think that was a lively session, I suspect the next two debates will be even more intense.

Heading into the primary season's home stretch, the candidates will have a huge interest in laying out their respective differences. Some of the White House hopefuls will be more forceful – and perhaps more effective – than the others. And as we learned at this Monday's debate: with fewer candidates left on the stage, they will have more time to do precisely that.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Aly

Well , i hope these next two debates are as event-filled like the last ! I was glued to the t.v. for the two hours , unlike other debates when i would multi-task !

The only thing i didn't like and almost everyone says the same thing was how they constantly went after each other and ignored the issues ! However it did make for great T.V

Good Luck in Next Weeks Debate!

January 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Peter E

January 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. lou

I love Hillary taking charge on the debates.... she is the best chance we got... GO HILLARY!!!

January 24, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Conan

Think Obama and Hillary will even say hi before swinging at each other? Hope they put Edwards in the middle at least so he gets a little more camera time.
    I must admit the Democratic debates make great TV. Republicans could learn a thing or two from them......

January 24, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  5. joe,charlestown,s.c

I'm very disappointed with the Clintons and will now vote Obama. I liked Hilary but I'm getting more and more upset with the Clinton's tactics.

January 24, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. State of Virginia

It would be nice if you would give Edwards his fair share of time for a change.
    At least allow the man to talk without turning his mic off...Jesus.

Can we have a fair debate this time Mr. Blitzer?

January 24, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. Matt A

"Peter E January 24, 2008 4:08 pm ET

Cant wait to watch Hillary win another democratic debate. I love watching her win!"

Peter you're a moron. Hillary doesn't "win". She barely scrapes by while feeding off of the support of uneducated candidates that recognize the Clinton name and feel that things will get better again with that name, or deluded women trying to prove their equality to men by supporting Hillary just because she's a woman.
    I've found that once education and political awareness among the Democratic nominee supporters goes up, the support for Obama skyrockets.
    Hillary is the candidate for people that have no clue how politics and these candidates really work.

And you're also deluded for thinking that Hillary has been winning the debates when she clearly hasn't been.

January 24, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Kim

Wolf, you did an awesome job with the last debate – try to keep them on subject and to the issues. These debates are making Clinton look very good, confident and presidential. I expect her to build huge momentum heading into Super Tuesday where she will sweep and become the true front-runner. Good luck!

January 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Jeff K.

Wolf, First off I'd like to say that I am an avid watcher of the Sit. Room and have been since its onset.

I would like to see if you would be willing to ask the Democrats a question for me in CA? I would like to know if any of them TRULY believe that if they were to win the election in November, G.W. Bush will actually tell them and "bring them up to speed" on EVERYTHING he and Cheney have done in the past 8 years and PRECIESELY what fallout to expect in their administration from these actions?

January 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Tyler T.

I would like to wish the candidates luck in their respective debates. The last time for people to see the candidates before Super Tuesday.

January 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Just an Independent Texan

Well Wolf, I sure hope you can contol Billary better his time. She just won't shut up now will she? She sure won't respect her allotted time.

Maybe you should let Anderson Cooper have a try at this democratic debate thing. I don't think he is afraid of the Clintons. Or, maybe there just shouldn't be any rules. That might work better. That way you don't have to go on national TV and explain how you just let them continue so as not to interrupt. Hmmmm...maybe I'm wrong here but I thought that is what a mediator was supposed to do and not loose control.

Lord, I better start building that screen around my TV...you know so I don't throw something thru it when she starts in time after time after time.

Seriously, think about a swap with Anderson.

January 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Todd

Hey thanks Wolf for keeping us up to date. Try and give Romney some 'equal coverage' in Florida too. I know the media only wants to give liberals like Hillary, Obama and McCain coverage (and far right Huckabee), but Romney is kicking butt, and no one gives him any credit. He's the invisible, but winning candidate (he won 1st in Michigan, Wyoming, Nevada, and now he leads the polls in Florida). Of any of the candidates who can give this country an economic turn around, it's Romney.

January 24, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. Matthew T

Yes Im ready for another debate for Obama to win. Even though Clinton and Edwards try to double team him. I find it diplorable the type of campaign the Clintons are running. Bill and Hillary and their cronies were the first to pull the race card and want to get mad at Obama when he dont respond to them. Then they wanna attack his record in the IL State Sentate. Look at their record in the US senate... almost identical so whose to put down anyone. Both candidates have the ablity to do something this country has never seen and it is getting out of control with all this bickering back and forth. I feel the spouse in the campaing should talk about their spouse and leave the other candidates name out of thier mouth . Everything was find up until Hillary won NH and NV barely. She needs to worry about loosing support and getting her message accross to the people. As for Obama he needs to realize that he is only running against Hillary and not Bill. Bill need to be careful not to get the right people mad or they can bring up some stuff about him. Everything was not so goody goody and safe in the US when he was president. I recall we still have troops in Kosovo thanks to Clinton's Adminsitration. That is one thing i do not like about the president, they are quick to jump in another country business and try to run the show. The USA should only act as liason for advice not as a governing body for a foreign state. They have to many worries here in this country for them to worry 100% about other countries. In the USA we have Millons without health care, millons of homeless, millons of children not getting a proper education. There is plenty more then this so i hope the next president who ever he or she is does not do what the past presidents have done. Sit in office for 8 years do a bunch of high profile stuff the first couple of years and then do crap the rest.

January 24, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. W B in Las Vegas

so Mr Blitzer, are you going to let Hillary Clinton interrupt and run over the debate AGAIN like she has in every one that CNN has moderated? you NEVER call her on it unlike debates on other news channels.

and give JOHN EDWARDS his TIME. he is the ONLY ONE really SPEAKING to the ISSUES.

January 24, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. Anonymous

For all multiracial people out there ,we are who we are MULTIRACIAL. To deny that is to choose one race over the other. This hurts the feelings of multiracial children. I know for I too was once a child.

Barack's mother was white ;therfore he is multiracial remember that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. B. Clark Iowa

Well, "excuzeee me" Matt:
    I am as educated as you can get and I support Hillary.
    I admire her leadership and get it done attitude... she is a doer while others are dreamers. I'll take the "doer" thank you very much.

January 24, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  17. Tyler T.

Matt, how can you call someone a moron for their opinion? She does better than Obama does. All Obama talks about is: "change, change, unity, change, change, unity." Im sorry but the issues are more important than rhetoric.

January 24, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. Joseph W. Matehws

Oh, boy! Perhaps Wolf will get control of it this time. Let's give Obama and Clinton boxing gloves and Edwards can be the referee. Much more of this and we can call off the general election as McCain will win in a walk.

My hopes and support of the Democrats are undergoing possible revision. Obama's the future, Clinton's the past and Edwards may be the "kingmaker". Stay tuned.

January 24, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Eric, San Diego

Hopefully John Edwards will win in South Carolina

January 24, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Joe

Wolf does a great job !

Obama is sad in these debates. No wonder he gives his campaign speeches by using a teleprompter.

January 24, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  21. aisha

PLSSSSSSSSSSS WOLF , BE NICE THIS TIME . I LIKE DEBATES ON MSNBC . THEY ARE MORE PEACEFUL AND REPORTERS HAVE CONTROL ON SITUATIONS.I HATED LAST CNN DEBATE .
    PLS GIVE US A NICE TOPIC ORIENTED,BASED ON ISSUES ,HEALTHY DEBATE
    WE DONT WANNA SEE CHICKENS AND BULLS FIGHTS

January 24, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  22. aisha

PLS NOT AGAIN
    I LIKE MSNBC DEBATES
    THEY ARE PEACEFUL,ISSUES ORIENTED AND ON THE TOPIC
    PLS PLS PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WOLF TAKE CONTROL OF SITUATION THIS TIME
    IF ITS THE SAME STUFF ,FIGHT AGAIN I WILL TURN IT OFF

January 24, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  23. Belle

Hi Wolf,

I was undecided about about whom to vote for...Obama or Clinton until I saw the CNN clip about Obama trying to take credit for the "infusion of cash plan deal that was struck in the house" today.

A plan that has NOT even gone to the Senate for approval yet. Since WHEN does a junior Senator that is campaigning for the Presidency of the United States have the audacity to take credit for something He didn't even write?

Congratulations Mr. Obama, you JUST lost my vote today. Further, your comments to CNN showed me that your ego is a rival to Mr. Bush's!

January 24, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. carol - litchfield ct

Wolf – The media ( TV & Press ) have it in their hands to deliver all canidates TRUE positions and their stated plans for how they will perform as President, and on what the canidate will do for the Americans who vote her/him in. As an American voter I would like to be able to hear a clear concise plan and be able to reasonably BELIEVE this individual. We have too many politians at present in all public offices that are just waiting out retirement and filling their own and their family and friends pockets at the expense of the voters who believed in their "I"ll help you" speeches. God help us all if we don't get it right this time. We are really in a mess. We need a President who is Honest and True and above all, accountable to the Voters. Maybe we also need to take a look at the rules and laws governing how or what to do with politicians that fail to do what we elect them to do in a timely manner. "Three strikes ( years) and you're out" That gets my vote!

January 24, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. Nancy Levin

CNN: As much as you enjoy playing the game of "Lets you an' him fight...I'll hold yer coat"s!! " it is totally unethical for you to be egging them on! At least put John in the middle and spread the podiums & the chairs another foot apart. I once liked the Clintons and I loved CNN, but now I am totally for the underdogs and totally against the big dogs. Obama and Edwards, protect your backs!!

January 24, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |