January 24th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a wild ride

Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks
Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks

(CNN) – Get ready for a wild ride - the next few days are going to be intense.

We have the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary on Saturday, followed by President Bush’s State of the Union Address before Congress Monday, and the Republican primary in Florida the very next night. Those will be big stories for us to cover, and we're gearing up big time. I will be heading up to New York to anchor our coverage from the CNN Election Center.

At the same time, we're already getting ready for some more big nights to follow. The Republican candidates will gather at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley next Wednesday, January 30, for their debate, moderated by Anderson Cooper. I will moderate the Democratic debate the next night at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles. Both are being co-sponsored with The Los Angeles Times and Politico.com, and begin at 8 p.m. ET.

The elections in two dozen states will follow less than a week later on Super Tuesday, February 5 - which means the stakes for the candidates will be huge in both debates.

I am sure most of you saw our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this week - the most widely watched presidential primary debate ever seen on cable television. If you think that was a lively session, I suspect the next two debates will be even more intense.

Heading into the primary season's home stretch, the candidates will have a huge interest in laying out their respective differences. Some of the White House hopefuls will be more forceful – and perhaps more effective – than the others. And as we learned at this Monday's debate: with fewer candidates left on the stage, they will have more time to do precisely that.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. RoMc

Sorry, I meant I agree with Matt. Peter, you're a moron.

January 24, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. Brad

A VOTE FOR McCAIN IS A VOTE FOR WORLD WAR 3. THINK ABOUT IT.

January 24, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. Jufus, Milwaukee, WI

Looking forward to the next Hillary/Obama debate – why even invite Edwards, you never give him an opportunity to speak anyway? Besides, he really isn't very interesting or good for the ratings.

I want -at least I keep my hope up, for CHANGE, you know – that Hillary will slap that teenage, arrogant, ignorant, disrespectful preacher boy across the face so hard he'll have to sit down and actually THINK!

What a novel idea for Obama...

January 24, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. Mike

Matt, can you please explain how "education and political awareness among the Democratic nominee supporters goes up, the support for Obama skyrockets".

Can you please ELABORATE on the political awareness one must have to support Obama?

Please also provide your age.

Thanks.

January 24, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. aisha

HEY BALLE
    I AGREE IS WITH U
    HE DOES HAVE EGO
    HIS EMOTIONAL SPEECHES ARE WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ANYWAY
    SHAME SHAME

January 24, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Jack K. Fort Myers, Fl

The fall out from the last Dem debate...is still floating down.

I have a new respect for John Edwards..he has emerged as the most Presidential of the Democratic batch.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Rudy, Romney, and McCain duke it out in their next national debates.

Outcome since observing the last debates:

I know longer support Hillary–even if it is a "party loyalty issue"–I'll switch over vote to keep her out of the White House. Pretty much the same for Obama.

Both of them are "big spenders" at a time when Americans are seeking someone who will reign-in government–before creating newer and larger programs!!

The idea...that many of these problems–should be under the federal government..rather than the states has also been an issue.

The time of big government is over..we want wise...and necessary government...not a laundry list of new programs to mirror FDR..

January 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Moderator

Mr Wolf, you need to do better job of moderating debate.We hardly had candidates speak any issue other then fact that Hillary was in Board of Directors of Walmart.

January 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. aichain

Wolf, please focus the questions for the next debate on the important issues. As entertaining as the personal drama among the candidates can be for reporters that are tired of hearing about the important issues over and over again, the voters need to elect the president based on their policy stances, not based on their reaction to trivial feuding or quotes taken out of context.

January 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Californian

Oh well, I might as well vote for Barrack Hussein Obama. Does it sound we are in America? Where are the Joe Smiths or Jane Smiths?

January 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. snow

I agree with Tyler T. MATT you are the moron. Change change, unity unity, inspiration inspiration, hope hope pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!!! Our troops need to come home!! We also need to think about if we will be employed next month!! OR are we going to be able to hold on to our houses. Let's talk about those things for a CHANGE!!

January 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Vince Los Angeles, CA

I have ALWAYS supported a woman's right to choose and Bill Clinton is listed as one of the people I'd like to meet most on my myspace page……BUT….it's pretty obvious that the Democratic party has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Consistently the Democratic party is proving to be a party of NON-THINKERS and knee-jerk reactionists. I despise the tought of restrictions on the freedom of speech….I despise the spectre of what happend in Katrina….but it is obvious Democrats have no intention of listening to reason…..My reasons for not supporting HRC have everything to do with my desire to see this country healed, pull out of Iraq and have our respect restored around the world. Hillary Clinton will not be able to work with the other side that is NEEDED to accomplish anything!

I am sick and tired of our government NOT GETTING ANYTHING DONE!! This country needs someone who can reach out, work with and compromise with Republicans…..HILLARY CLINTON IS NOT THAT PERSON.

The pro-Hillary posts I see here are a perfect example of the very closed-minded, non-thinking, vitriolic, ignorance that will drive people like myself out of the Democratic party….Let's see what happens to a woman's right to choose when you keep losing people like me….

January 24, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. Rajesh from Bangladesh

Hello everybody! I like Mrs Clinton since she will send jobs here, to Bangladesh. Thank you Hillary, for supporting free trade and many bush policies. it has helped us very very much. also, much thanks to getting many jobs here. the rupee is very strong now thanks to bill & hillary and bush, so sorry about your dollar though. thank you hillary for helping bangledeshis!

January 24, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. Jim

We constantly single out the individual candidates as the sole person we evaluate for heading up the Executive Branch, but as Rumsfield's horrible performance as Secretary of Defense illustrates, the various Cabinet positions are crucial to a President's success or failure.

I would like to see Anderson and Wolf ask each of the candidates in the upcoming debates who they would like to nominate as the Secretaries of State, Defense, Homeland Security, Treasury, and Attorney General. I think the responses to this question would give the voters incredible insight on how the candidates would run the Executive Branch, and it could also give us some indications about what the candidates really believe about the policies they might pursue. And please don't let them waffle on their answers – follow up the initial question with a request for specific information, rather than fluff.

You folks are doing a great job with this campaign. Keep up the good work! I think the country is more interested and involved in this campaign (both on the Democratic and Republican sides) than I can remember – and I first voted in 1972 as a bright-eyed 18 year old.

January 24, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. stan pitts pa

Hillary brought up Rezko. Obama's work with Rezko was legal. Hillary got about 850,000 from FBI most wanted Normal Hsu! how about that for facts!

January 24, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Dudley Fernandez

Mr. Blitzer
    Do you call these debates? . This is Prime Time junk.

January 24, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. agron

GO HILLARY...SMART LEADER..

January 24, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  17. Bill, Covington,LA

get ready for a wild ride. The Blitzer heading up to New York to head up campaign coverage... big Freekin Deal!

January 24, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. JanC

I am a lifelong Democrat. At 57 I was eager to see a woman elected President. However, after watching the Myrtle Beach debate, listening to President Clinton's attacks of Obama, and now reading about the most recent attack ad in Florida (taking Obama's quote regarding the Republican years out of context), I have decided to support Senator Obama. The manner must match the message. Truthfulness is important. The intentional deceit of President Clinton and the Clinton campaign reminded me that how we play the game IS important. Although I very much wanted to see the first woman elected President – it is more important to me that a truthful, authentic and honest person be elected President. From what I have seen and heard, that person is Senator Obama.

January 24, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. Nik T, Houston, TX

I can't wait for the debates and see Hillary once again speak issues on one hand and bat her contenders with the other. Not many people can do that effectively. She's clear in her debates, she's very knowledgable and she's ready to lead. Obama looks like a novice, unprepared, can't debate, can't defend issues, stutters and mumbles... he's clearly not ready. Please give Edwards more camera time, his ideas are very Democratic in nature and a lot of us can relate.

January 24, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. suzy

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would encourage CNN to pose questions to the candidates about the issues, and NOT "he said/she said" questions that dominate the media – however, the SC debate was fantastic!
    But, for this next debate, I would find it very interesting to see WHO (of the candidates) starts up all of the "you said/I said" – it's going to be fun!

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  21. aichain

I'd like to hear a question about civil liberties: The NSA warrantless wiretapping by the Bush administration is a huge affront on civil liberties but I hear no questions about it in the democratic debates. So here's my question:

"Limiting civil liberties is generally accepted to a certain degree in order to keep the American public safe. For example, the right to free speech isn't extended to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, and the right to privacy can be intruded upon with a lawful search warrant from a judge. In light of the Bush administration's authorization of warrantless wiretapping of the American public, to what extent do you support limiting civil liberties in order to provide for the safety of the general public?"

January 24, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Heathcliffe, New York City

Wolfe,

The Americans are hoping that this time you will not be biased. Be fair to Senator Hillary Clinton.

I will not request the other CNN Obama supporters because they are hopeless.

January 24, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. JohnS

I love Hillary taking charge during the debates, but crashing EMOTIONALLY before or after the debates.

The answer is simple, American men do not like to "attack" or challenge their women in public, period.

So, Obama and Edwards, please let Hillary win the DEBATE and all the women will get your votes. That is, be "GENTLE-men; do not beat on poor Hillary."

January 24, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Wolf is great and I enjoy watching him every day and that's not to say I agree with everything he says. I especially liked the interview he done with Dick Cheney. I hope to continue enjoying Wolf for years to come.

January 24, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. gene

CNN is a disgrace. I do not know how they can claim to be a news organization. Jack Caffertyis almost foaming at the mouth. He just gave comments on six messages that came into his file. Of the six, only one had a Hillary positive. The others were the rantings of some of the right wing nuts that you read here. He read them in a nasty tone to his voice. Shame on the whole bunch of you. I have tried to post early in the day, but I guess I am being held hostage some where in a dark place.

January 24, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |