January 24th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a wild ride

Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks
Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks

(CNN) – Get ready for a wild ride - the next few days are going to be intense.

We have the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary on Saturday, followed by President Bush’s State of the Union Address before Congress Monday, and the Republican primary in Florida the very next night. Those will be big stories for us to cover, and we're gearing up big time. I will be heading up to New York to anchor our coverage from the CNN Election Center.

At the same time, we're already getting ready for some more big nights to follow. The Republican candidates will gather at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley next Wednesday, January 30, for their debate, moderated by Anderson Cooper. I will moderate the Democratic debate the next night at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles. Both are being co-sponsored with The Los Angeles Times and Politico.com, and begin at 8 p.m. ET.

The elections in two dozen states will follow less than a week later on Super Tuesday, February 5 - which means the stakes for the candidates will be huge in both debates.

I am sure most of you saw our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this week - the most widely watched presidential primary debate ever seen on cable television. If you think that was a lively session, I suspect the next two debates will be even more intense.

Heading into the primary season's home stretch, the candidates will have a huge interest in laying out their respective differences. Some of the White House hopefuls will be more forceful – and perhaps more effective – than the others. And as we learned at this Monday's debate: with fewer candidates left on the stage, they will have more time to do precisely that.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Susan, Macedon New York

I haven't watched the debates for the same reason I don't watach the Sunday morning shows – everyone just talks over each other and I can't figure out what anyone is saying! And it's really annoying! If I wanted to hear people argue, I'd stay at work!

Can't you just get them to state their positions and their plans to help Americans without attacking one another? It would be the greatest service you could possibly do for this country!

January 24, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Frank J. (MO)

Hillary should bring Bill Clinton on stage ... why not be honest ? He could at least sit behind her and yell at the cameras when the other candidates talk.

Frank

January 24, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. get truth guy

Last Saturday night Hilary almost eats Obama alive, I bet you this time she will finish him with no meat left.

January 24, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Edwin Finch

After Democratic Debate, the CNN cameras were still on stage and showed Chelsey Clinton and Howard Dean talking with John Edwards for a length of time I think was more than just a hand shake. But as always, the pudits were taking about something else at the time.

I think the 3 of them together makes a good news story --– BUT THERE HAS BEEN ZERO COVERAGE ABOUT IT. What were they talking about? Was it purely congratulations to Edwards for the best , level head performance of the debate? Or was there something more important taking place?

January 24, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. Robert Vinson Brannum

I am an African American. I strongly support Senator Hillary Clinton. I think CNN and the media has distorted the comments of Senator Clinton and President Clinton for its own purposes. I think Senator Obama does not want to have to answer tough questions.

January 24, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Taylor

I wish people would give John Edwards a chance. I voted for him in 2004 and again this time. It's a shame he's being overshadowed by Clinton and Obama.

January 24, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  7. GERALD GABRION

I realize that CNN is of liberal ilk but unfair is getting very old. A few minutes ago
    you were showing political shorts and you displayed John McCain 4 times in about 2 minutes along with a few dems, without showing Mitt Romney once.

Its okay to have a personal opinion. Its not okay to tell the american people who they should vote for.

Give the citizens the facts fairly and let them decide who they want to vote. After all this is supposed to be "of the people, for the people, by the people; it's in the constitution...remember.
    Jerry

January 24, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Cliff Baker

Let's hope that CNN and Wolf learn from their mistake as the moderator of the last Democratic debate and will not allow applauds and cheerings or booings from all sides. CNN must take control and do not allow the audiences to give their candidates the "home field" advantage.

Cliff Baker,
    Arlington, Texas

January 24, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. Jon - Atlanta, GA

Once again CNN is making the news (or making up the news) instead of reporting the news.

January 24, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. Rino

Be sure to check on a few things before you even consider voting for Hillary Clinton!
    Google these videos:

"The Clinton Chroincles" 1 hour 51 minutes
    "Bill and Hillary Clinton: Their Secret Lives"
    "Mena Coverup" 54 minutes
    "The Clinton Body Count"
    "Rose Law Firm"

It is your civic duty to know who and why you are voting for a candidate. Don't vote for a criminal. Thanks.

January 24, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  11. Cliff Baker

The next Democratic debate in CA will give Senator Hillary Clinton a homefiled advantange. Among all the candidates (Republican and Democrat) Hillary is the best debator. She is well-prepared, aggressive and very knowedgable.

Hillary gets my vote, and on Jan 2008, we all will address the Senator from NY as Madam President.

Cliff Baker
    Arlington, Texas 76017

January 24, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  12. Marko, Chicago IL

Billary is down in SC polls. Expect her to cry on Friday.

January 24, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. jim Scottsdale AZ

Yes it is exciting to watch a Woman that built her career on fraud and lying maybe you Billary lovers should dig into her background. She says nothing except everyone get's free money.

I don't think she understands the Economy or the Constitution.

When Bill left Office they were begging the public to help with Bills defense fund. and went in the financial toliet.Now he has deals all around theh World and have 40 million, intersting.

Sad day when Americans think she is a leader. Think about what Bill did in the Lincoln room and she has no character or morals just like Bill.

Get a grip people. You get the King and Queen of the Empire we are in a 135 Countries with 700 bases.

Have a party.

January 24, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. sally New Jersey

Wolf, can you please stop with those race and gender questions???? Enough already!!!!

January 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. Lee

Yeah Matt you are the one who is missing the winner buddy. Hillary crushed Obama the other night in the debate – Obama stuttered, paused, said I, I, I and wait wait wait. She was trembling and his lip literally quivered. McCain would chew him up and spit him out if he won the nomination.

Hillary is tough and she can stand her ground – Id put her up against any of the republican candidates. And dont give me the she is a Bitc- Just because a woman is strong many think they are bitc-es whereas if a man did the same thing he would be tough. What a double standard.

In summary – Hillary schooled Obama in the debate – Ewards was second even though he didnt get as much time (not really sure he needs anymore) and Obama shaking in the corner was last.

January 24, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. G-Love

Hi Mr. Blitzer,
    I want to thank you for you for being a good journalist. I have switched to CNN for my news simply because of the respectfulness you have had towards my candidate of choice, Ron Paul. You have won my respect in return and honest appreciation for your professional approach to reporting. I hope you will continue this trend. I would hate to give you the boot like I did Fox News.

January 24, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. Shirley Friend

I am so frustrated at the biased reporting on CNN and there is nothing anyone can do about it except stop watching. The look of delight on Wolf's face and Jack Cafferty's face when Hillery is put in a negative light portrays sheer delight, revealing their bias to the Clintons. The media is pushing for a racial war in America and then you will have lots to report.
    Just report the news.

January 24, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. Kevin

"I was undecided about about whom to vote for…Obama or Clinton until I saw the CNN clip about Obama trying to take credit for the "infusion of cash plan deal that was struck in the house" today."

---

Show me the link to that. I'd be curious to see it since it didn't happen. Anyone else smell another Clinton "plant"...?

January 24, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  19. Mark V.

When Hillary did her mudslinging about Obama “working for a slumlord,” Obama gave a clear explanation of the facts.
    When Hillary accused Obama of “being initially for single-payer health care system “ (a very curious attack considering her former health care attempts), Obama clearly explained his rational statement on this subject.
    All those attacks in the posts about Obama’s lack of providing substance in the debates are ludicrous. How much substance has Hillary provided? The fact is that it is impossible for any candidate to go into details of his/her proposals.
    Obama generally tries to speak intelligently, which apparently bothers some people. Hillary makes boasts about her readiness from day 1, something that is just words, that cannot be supported by any evidence.

January 24, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  20. Grandpa

Wolf(Sly Fox)
    It is interesting that you flash Obama/Clinton confrontation followed by an unrelated marajuana issue. Who is CNN pushing for????

January 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. Cliff Baker

To Matt A,
    Peter is not a moron. You are not a moron. And nobody is a moron. Please calm down and digest the following poll results:

National:

Alabama: Press Register – Clinton +3%
    CT: Hartford Courant – Clinton +14%

Cliff Baker,
    Arlington, TX 76017

January 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  22. c ilivuziman

Why you the medias don't say enough is enough for liars... Clinton has agressed media twice. The Clintons are liars, why don't you quote all big lies to the pp

January 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. Nick

Hillary and Obama bicker worse than my six younger siblings. How could we elect either of them? vote McCain!

January 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. Alicia - McAllen, Texas

You are right, Tyler T.. How can anyone call someone a Moron just because that someone is only expressing his/her opinion. Because all Obama talks about is changes. What changes? Come on Obama, can you see that all the Republicans want is for you to get the nomination so that they can get their candidate elected President of the United States. You will never get elected President. And Senator Clinton will. You see, for one, she has the experience that you and Senator Edwards put together don't have and to me that counts alot. And two, in my opinion, it is time that this country should be taken care of by a woman whether you men don't think so. Everyone deserves a chance.

January 24, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. Texan for Hillary

Too little too late Mr. OBAMA for your trying to distance yourself from the gangster RENZO. Your dealings with him along with your lies on your record are beyond conprehending. People wise up, this man is not the one for the White House. Remember the 90s even with all the controversy of Bill's affair we did not have it very bad by the man balancing the budget and leaving office with three trillion dollars in escrow that stupid Bush gave away as soon as he took office. Then DUHYA started a war with Iraq at what cost in lives and money and we're not through there yet. Forgive me but I do not want another snake in the White House. VOTE FOR HILLARY.

January 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |