January 24th, 2008

Blitzer: Get ready for a wild ride

Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks
Blitzer: We’re in for an intense few weeks

(CNN) – Get ready for a wild ride - the next few days are going to be intense.

We have the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary on Saturday, followed by President Bush’s State of the Union Address before Congress Monday, and the Republican primary in Florida the very next night. Those will be big stories for us to cover, and we're gearing up big time. I will be heading up to New York to anchor our coverage from the CNN Election Center.

At the same time, we're already getting ready for some more big nights to follow. The Republican candidates will gather at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley next Wednesday, January 30, for their debate, moderated by Anderson Cooper. I will moderate the Democratic debate the next night at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles. Both are being co-sponsored with The Los Angeles Times and Politico.com, and begin at 8 p.m. ET.

The elections in two dozen states will follow less than a week later on Super Tuesday, February 5 - which means the stakes for the candidates will be huge in both debates.

I am sure most of you saw our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this week - the most widely watched presidential primary debate ever seen on cable television. If you think that was a lively session, I suspect the next two debates will be even more intense.

Heading into the primary season's home stretch, the candidates will have a huge interest in laying out their respective differences. Some of the White House hopefuls will be more forceful – and perhaps more effective – than the others. And as we learned at this Monday's debate: with fewer candidates left on the stage, they will have more time to do precisely that.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. helen bevere

Hi wolf
    you have had my respect for years but there is definitely a prejudice on the part of cnn to slam the clintons lately. not really being a hillary fan I have tried to be objective and have discussed this with many other people who agree.
    you are not holding obama accountable- most of this mudslinging started with the "senator from punjab" comment-no one has ever even asked him about it.
    the first nasty volly at the last debate came from obama- not hillary
    here is a man using oprah but upset bill may be too popular. tell him if he want to be president-stop whining and show some statemenship.
    also, why do oprah and obama have schools in africa?- aren't there enough kids in chicago who could benefit from some laptops????- at least the clinton WORK in harlem.
    also please stop repeating "the best political staff on television"- you say it so much its annoying- your reputation speaks for itself

January 24, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  2. Kerry

Wolf: Thank you for offsetting the loss of the Golden Globe Awards withe the debate in South Carolina. It was wonderful to watch the Golden Glove Awards.
    The Winners was Replublican Party, close second for John Edwards

January 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. walt

I find the media tries to sway votes according to how they think personally. This is less than objective. Also, why do the American people have to listen to paid political analysts tell them how to think, Just another way to try to sway votes.Perhaps all of us should boycott the media.

January 24, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  4. DD

I'm a Republican. If Clinton is nominated as the Democratic Party's candidate, I'll vote for her in Novvember. Mr. Omaba is not ready for the job yet, in my opinion. If he were picked by his party, I'll definitely vote for my party's candidate.

Obama is a great speaker, that's all to me. Have you in you life always seen some guys who take big, then do nothing? That's how I think who Obama is.

January 24, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. John ny, ny

WOlf- I saw your inside episode today and I just want to say that yur three pundits are always ready to bash clinton where as they never criticize Obama. Eg his counter ad was as misleading full of half truth as clintons. I think CNN needs to realize viewers are not stupid and it shatters the credibility of Your so called Pundits. I am not sure if there should be called pundits. Bandits are more like it.

January 24, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  6. charlotte

I'm waiting for the real debate, that should be a wild ride. Providing the right ones are debating.

January 24, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  7. barb

The Clinton machine is spewing out noxious fumes. Too bad that we all have to breath that terrible odor. Barack Obama is a brave soul to put up with their lies and innuendos.

January 24, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. Marilyn

I see you are still making the news. It appears to me you and your station are in the income bracket that enjoys Bush's tax cuts. I believe you are prepared to do anything to keep a democrat from taking the White House which is why you continue to put down the most viable candidate.

Shame on CNN

January 24, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Juan Carlos(Vegas)

Obama is a Populist.

January 24, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  10. JBBaker

Hey Wolf I used to watch you daily, but you must have had a whisper in your ear
    plug saying let them keep going back and forth. Even other stations talked how poorly this was handled. I think you did this on purpose.

As a moderator, facilitator you were not in control and you should have been. I am shock at how this was handled and how you handled this.

Advertising is spread by word of mouth and your situation room will just be sitting as far as I am concern.

January 24, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  11. ethel

yes vinson you are so true i am also a-america and if i had plan to vote for him ccn surly change my mine what can obama change all of our ciztenship he is one of the false people in the holy bible

January 24, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  12. Sasha

Being able to make a decision on a candidate based solely on the issues is tougher this year than ever before. It is all a game and we (the voters) are playing right along with it. It's not about being Black or even about Gender. I mean, look at how this country has grown in respect to that alone. Enough with that already, it is tiresome.

To CNN – thank you for taking the "Race and Politics" off of your screen. That alone was ridiculous. You aren't giving us the proper information we need in order to make a rational decision. You are supposed to be "The most trusted News in the World". Let's keep it that way... We aren't all as ignorant as you may think.

We ALL need to stop the rhetoric and refocus our own values as a civilization. It would be ideal to see Hillary not lash back at Obama when he starts whining about her and her track record and vice-versa.
    They should stick to their proposed solutions to resolve the chaos in this country and show us what they're truly about, the PEOPLE..... or are they?

January 24, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  13. katie

If you want the Republicans to win in November, then vote for Hillary, because she will not survive facing Mc Cain! If you want the Democrats to win in November, then vote for Obama, because he will rally the Independents! That's a fact.

January 24, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. B, SD

Wolf: I watched the debate last week and was dismayed to see the bickering. I suggest the candidates not be allowed to stray from the topic and not address each other directly. This is our opportunity to learn their positions on topics vital to this country. We do not need to see these candidates fighting among themselves and we certainly do not need to give the Republicans more amunition to use against a Democratic candidate. This country cannot affor to have even 4 more years of Republican "leadership." Please use your immense talent to keep the candidates from self-destructing on stage during the next debate. I would like to hear each of these Senators talk about the bills they have sponsered and their committee membership while in the Senate.

January 24, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. Teresa B

Why are all CNN programs NOT talking about John Edwards? In fact, in Lou Dobb's poll vote the other night regarding the economy, John Edwards won it and Lou Dobb's reported that Mitt Romeny had won. Why? At this point, I'm thinking the media is just as bad as the Washington politicians....you are not listening to the American people. There are many of us out here that are supporting John Edwards and he gets no coverage. Why?

January 24, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  16. Sophie

Wolf, can you ask them who they would choose as their running mates if they win the nomination.

I would like to see Clinton for pres and Obama for VP.. Weirder things have happened!

Also, I'd like to see the personal attacks kept to a minimum.

January 24, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  17. Lynne Kieper

The next time the Dems debate, I hope someone will be able to elicit something of substance from Obama. He's full of frothy rhetoric, fluffy hope and promise stuff, but we have yet to hear how he plans to bring everyone to that koom-bay-ah moment of perfect harmony and congenial cooperation. One person alone cannot bridge the partisan gap or change how this system of government works. I am disappoionted to find him lacking real depth of knowledge on many issues, including economic, military, energy and foriegn policy. We've seen enough of a "Three Stooges" administration. It's time to bring some experience, intelligence and a sense of urgency back to DC. No time for on the job training in these perilous times.

January 24, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  18. MarkieBee

Hey Belle, pretty cool how Obama's plan turned out to be pretty much what's happening right now with the economic stimulus, huh? Coincidence? I think not. Economists have rated his plan an A, Edwards' a B and Hillary's a C-plus. Once again Obama is a leader and Hillary follows yet again. Ask yourself this people, where would Hillary be if she hadn't married Bill? If she keeps claiming all the good things from Bill's eight years then she gets the credit for NAFTA, Don't Ask Don't Tell, the failure to bag Bin Laden, etc. You can't cherry pick a person's record like that but she's been doing that from the start and NO ONE calls her on it. Thirty-five years of experience...LOL! To Cliff Baker...keep following those polls buddy. You're girl was trailing by 12 points going into New Hampshire. I know for a fact that in California Hillary was up by 30 points in late November. Now she's up only 12...trending down wouldn't you say?

January 24, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  19. Cathy

WOLF:
    Someone needs to probe Hillary's "35" years of experience. My understanding is that the longest job she has held was with the Rose Law Firm where she represented corporate clients like Wal-Mart and Tyson. Wasn't she there something like 18 years? How was that working on issues for the average American?!? And that 35 years goes back to her law school days. So this is a typical Clinton mis-representation of the facts. But most people will never hear any of this, all they'll hear is 35 years of experience. THIS MUST BE PROBED in the next debate before super Tuesday.
    Thanks!

January 24, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. Elaine in Kentucky

Rex Toledo, Ohio You are crazyyyy Your are dumb I am glad you aren't the only one voting.I am eduated. Iam for H.C. You might as well get use to the idea. We are going to have our first woman president.

January 24, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  21. Elaine in Kentucky

January 24, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. John

since when is CNN this trashy. Its supposed to be news, yet you guys cover all the dumbest things. We can clearly see you side with clinton. How is that supposed to be news though?

Your news ankers say they are disappointed that people dont pay attention to the issues, yet you go around and put oh bill clinton jabs obama, or chelsey campaigning, or clinton is back on the attack on your front pages.... ? whose the one not stickin to the issues. I dont know who owns you but I think after Fox Noise you should try to avoid that same path and do what's right.

As for me I'm sticking to PBS.

January 24, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  23. earl illingsworth

This is a Dear Wolf letter. I'm well aware of the debates coming up, but , Mr.Cafferty does it best", nobody does it better", sings Carly? You've stole his fire ,but not his thunder or followers! Wolf, Jack is the very Best that CNN has to offer. His ruff and tough persona makes for good satire ,and his unique approach to politics in the world and at home are uncompromised. Dobbs is pigeon holed with immigration ( one trick pony),and three(3) hours of the situation room is to redundant, (please take no offense ) Jack wouldn't , so please get back to the news, and leave the blogs to Mr. Jack!!! P.S. FIRE Nancy Grace,...and you'll get a wild ride.

January 24, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  24. Al, Los Angeles, CA

Elaine would you vote for her if she wasn't a woman?

I have no problem if she's the most qualified.

But between the Clintons & George W this country is so divided, it needs to heal.

I don't believe she offers anything more than Obama.

But he also offers hope.

And her claim of experience is very suspect when you look at it.

Truth is, when she fought for change as First Lady, she lost. And now receives money from HMO lobbiests.

The dems should be up 20 pts over any reb, but her divisiveness is hurting the party. And she couldn't care less.

January 24, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  25. Bimmer

Not sure If Wolfe's postive bias towards Obama is becuase he, like some Americans, are not ready for a woman President or he has been instructed to do so by CNN.

Whatever it is he is losing his journalistic integrity by claiming falsely that Clinton started the attack in the debate.

The night after the debate, PBS played parts of the same debate and mentioned many times that it was Obama who started the attck and kept poring it on.

And Wolfe is the one who moderated it.

January 24, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |