January 24th, 2008

Campaigner-in-chief feels a little worn out

LEXINGTON, South Carolina (CNN) – Did Bill Clinton have one of his trademark late nights on Wednesday? It sure seemed that way at a campaign event Thursday morning in Lexington, where Clinton showed up nearly an hour late to his first stop of the day.

"I feel like a little scrambled eggs this morning," a lethargic Clinton said, arriving to tepid applause. "But I will try to make sense of what I can."

Clinton said he was up late in Myrtle Beach answering three hours worth of questions from voters there, finally hitting the sack at 1 a.m.

It was indeed a sleepy affair. As reporters and audience members waited patiently through what seemed like the entire Clinton campaign soundtrack, a Clinton aide quietly removed several empty chairs from the line of sight of television cameras.

But, to be fair, Lexington County isn't exactly a Democratic stronghold: it's considered the most conservative county in South Carolina. He'll likely have a larger turnout later today at an event in heavily-Democratic Orangeburg.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. chris, chicago, illinois

How ironic that chairs were being moved at a Clinton speaking engagement. Reminds me of a phrase about futility, how does it go? OH YES! Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic...

January 24, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. Khwaty

Call Bill Clinton a liar, or any name you can think of, we had a prosperous economy during his term, this country was well respected by other nations because of his leadership.

Whatever he had done in private has nothing to do with me or affected my life.

SELF-LOATHING becomes apparent when you try to deflect it to another person or inanimate object to make you feel good with yourself. I bet those who are jumping mad of Bill's infidelity have done it themselves.

Majority of Clinton haters in this blog and other blogs suffers from AUTOPHOBIA.

January 24, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. Cathy, NY

Obama most definitely DID say that his supporters would NOT support Hillary, but that he could "get " all of her supporters for himself. I saw the clip myself and I was left SPEECHLESS by his colossal arrogance!!! So much for being a "GREAT UNITER", Huh??? He had the nerve to say this while promising to bring the country together...he can't even bring HIS OWN PARTY together!!! In fact, he's now telling his supporters NOT to vote for the democratic nominee if it's not HIM! That is sleazeball politics at it's worst. Let's see any of you Obama fans try and defend a statement like that and mention "UNITY" in the same breath. What a JOKE! I'm so thankful that he WON'T get the nomination, because as a true democrat, I could NEVER vote for "Saint Obama"! Hillary For President!!!

January 24, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. SHELLY

I SUGGEST ALL DEMOCRATS THAT DON"T WANT ANOTHER YEAR OF THE CLINTONS VOTE REPUBLICAN!

January 24, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. Susan

Hillary quote of the day..right here on CNN..Obama has filed a complaint about tthe dirty tricks of the Clinton campaign..,,here is a quote from Hillary to her campaign staff:

"It's not illegal unless they tell you so." Hillary Rodham Clinton
    Priceless...

I also think it is hilarious that so many of your self righteous folks get all bent out of shape when someone brings up unfavorbale information on a candidate. Grow up and get off your high horse. This is a place to talk about the issues and share some humor.

Hey Cathy where is the clip about Obama stating he would not support person who is nomiated by the Democractic party.....this should be all over the media in abut 5 minutes..I haven't seen it. Are you dating Bill Clinton?

January 24, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. frank

Lets be honest I am a democrat and I am not Black
    and a Bush disliker but ..who do I have to vote for ?
    Hilary and Bill ? no way...
    these debates have convinced me now that its all about Bill getting back into the power

I live in Illinois and Obama voted not present over 140 times in Illinois on important issues and says thats not a big deal
    I dont get it ...
    and and to me for the potential leader of the US refuseing to wear a simple Flag on his lapel..well Obamam I dont get that either ..whats the message your trying to send ???..
    I actually like him but he is a total lightweight in my opinion
    So there Edwards with no chance.....
    I have never voted Republican but by lack of any real choices I think I have to go with John M even though I dislike his actions on immigration

Whats do other dems say

January 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Justin

Bill or Hillary...it's hard to tell who is running, but....

I am no expert on the U.S. constitution, but I do know that there is a provision within that document that limits a president to 2 terms... and although technically it is Hillery running for the office, it's PAINFULLY obvious that Bill Clinton (a president I once highly respected) is dead set on returning to the White House. This scenerio, although not unconstitutional, does seem in direct contrast to the intent of the framers of the Constitution (and highly unethical in my opinion) – a fact that has undoubtedly been noticed by many, but for some unknown reason has not been addressed in the media. Surely, this very fact is as important for the voters to consider....not only for the campaign, but for the Democratic Party and the welfare of the country; for the United States needs a positive leader who can give us hope and bring about the changes we so desperately need. A leader who cannot afford to be distracted by a Constitutional quagmire of ethics discussions, congressional hearings, and nuisance suits brought on by Republicans and sspecial interest groups.

January 24, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. aisha

I AGRE WITH BILL . MY AT LEAST 20 RELATIVES ARE GOING TO VOTE FOR HILLARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.ONLY AN EXPERIENCED PERSON CAN HANDLE USA NOW ,NOT A STORY WRITER AND FAIRYTALE TELLER. AND SHAME ON MEDIA FOR ALWAYS SIDING WITH OBAMA. OH I KNOW WHY ,THEY GETTING MONEY FROM HIM THESE DAYS TO RUN HIS ADS AND THEY AFRAID TO SAY ANYTHING AGAIBST BECAUSE OBAMA CAMPAIGN WILL PLAY RACE CARD ON THEM TOOO .SHAME ON CNN
    GO HILLARY

January 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Rajesh from Bangladesh

Hello everybody! I like Mrs Clinton since she will bring american jobs here, to Bangladesh. Thank you Hillary, for supporting free trade and many bush policies. it has helped us very very much. also, much thanks to getting many jobs here. the rupee is very strong now thanks to bill & hillary and bush, so sorry about your dollar though. thank you hillary for helping bangledeshis!

January 24, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. Barbara

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Bill/Hillary stories always receive somewhere between 100-400 blog responses? Why is that? And why are there no stories about 'Obama himself, but only stories that are somehow related to his being 'viciously attacked' by the Clinton campaign? Seems to me like he doesn't have much else of interest or import to report on except his 'upset' with being 'attacked' by another front-runner.

And with regard to Bill Clinton's 'campaigning for' his wife, and how 'all his statements' are hurting her chances and destroying the Democratic party – did anyone see Mdme. Obama's little comment on her husband's campaign trail? "If you can't look after your own house, how can look after the White House"?

Is she referring to Hillary's ability to vaccum the Blue Room adequately? Or is she suggesting...not too subletly....that Hillary should be held responsible for the fact that her husband was unfaithful to her? I wonder if she is prepared to be 'held responsible' for Mr Obama making land deals with slum landlords and/or their wives while telling the world he's working his heart out to help 'poor people' who live in slums? I wonder....

January 24, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. Gigi

Hey Bill, how about adding a side order of ham with those scrambled eggs?

January 24, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  12. tomdavie

frank.

I am a democrat and this is what I have to say:

You are a republican coming on here to jerk our chains.

January 24, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. Robert Bell

I liked the OLD BILL CLINTON a LOT BETTER!

BRING BACK THE OLD BILL CLINTON!

The OLD BILL CLINTON scarfed donuts, quaffed beer, and chased "fat chix" and was a good ole boy who knew how to have a good time.'

This new, skinny scarecrow of a man is angry and hostile, like an old cat who has arthritis.

BRING BACK THE OLD BILL! WE MISS YOU! THE PARTY HASN'T BEEN THE SAME WITHOUT YOU!

The "new" Bill can go sit on a tack. Actually, he acts like he might enjoy that.

Bill Clinton has devolved into an angry old Grandpa.

Dagnabbit!

January 24, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. Bill in Montgomery, AL

Billary, are you worn out enough to just disappear from the scene?? Most of us are getting tired of your lies anyway. The sooner you crawl back under that rock, the better!!

January 24, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  15. John, NC

He must have been out looking for something while Hil was away.

January 24, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. charlotte

Bangladesh my A– Do you really think we are that stupid?

January 24, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  17. maynard

the Clinton named has been mired by what the second mouth of the citon campain did while ther baboon was in office,,he did nohing to empress me in any way just a were big bag of wind.. habits are hard to break but i somehow see
    this thing mushrooming. i hope it hurts the woman of many faces in the election

she is not presidential material she is a user and a loser. maybe if the last name was different she might have a chance.

January 24, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  18. Kevin Topeka, KS

Why is Bill getting so much media attention? Is it because the media is playing favorites? Well, let's see. Who has been benefitting from the coverage of Bill? Sometimes it's Hillary, sometimes it's Barack.
    Here's another possibility, folks. Bill has been getting a lot of media attention because he is an ex-President!!! Wow, there's a novel idea. Nothing to compare it to. I dont remember the last time we had a candidate that was the spouse of a former President. Wait, the reason I can't remember it is because it has never happened in the 200+ year history of our country.
    Spouses of candidates have always spoke out during their husband's candidacy, sometimes with headline making results. Get over it folks. It is not some vast conspiracy. Hillary is running for President, her husband is gonna help (or hinder), and with him being a former President, it will make the headlines.
    Am I really the first one on this thread to figure this out?

January 24, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. Kevin Topeka, KS

I enjoyed the Bangladesh post, also. What are those jobs moving to Bangladesh? Flyswatter salesmen?

January 24, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  20. teh Destroyer

I'm getting tired of all the Obama fanboys touting his supposed virtues. Hillary is what's best for USA. You will see.

January 24, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. Felly

Bill and Hillary are angry couples. Since Bill is picking fights with CNN Reporters, the media should consider cutting down on the amount of coverage they are giving him. Maybe this would make him fade away . CNN stop wasting your airtime. Give it to Obama and Edwards to discuss issues that effect the American people. Bill is a nuisance. Now he is adding his poor daughter on the campaign trail. What a desperation move.

January 25, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  22. Deanna Woodham

I fall into the category of a typical Hillary Clinton supporter–white female over 60.
    I did support President Clinton in 1992 and 1996, however, I have been shocked and disappointed with his angry, red-faced attacks on Senator Barack Obama. For years my two Republican sons have tried to convince me of his lack of character. I have now "seen the light." As one has stated, "It is all about the Clintons." It should be all about what is best for our nation. I suspect that President Clinton has damaged the Democratic party with these campaign tactics. It is regrettable that the Clintons will unify the Republicans and alienate many Democrats, many of whom with abstain from voting or vote Republican.
    After seven years of the Bush administration, we need some unity in the country to face the challenges of the future. The Clintons will not accomplish this.

January 25, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  23. bob

WHAT WOULD YOU PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE
    CLINTONS TO TRAMPLE ON ?????????????????

January 26, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |