January 24th, 2008

Clinton camp pulls negative ad in South Carolina

(CNN) – Just 24 hours after it was launched, Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign pulled a South Carolina radio ad that targets Barack Obama for his recent comments on the Republican Party.

The ad highlights Obama's recent interview with a Nevada newspaper in which he said, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years.”

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asked. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

The ad immediately drew sharp criticism from the Illinois senator's campaign. Obama spokesman Bill Burton denounced the spot as a "negative, dishonest attack," and later said they were planning on running a response ad that said Clinton "will say anything to get elected."

Clinton's campaign maintained its ad was "straightforward."

Clinton's South Carolina spokesman did not provide a reason why the ad was pulled, saying only, "we are on schedule with our "Closer" ads starting."

UPDATE: Clinton's campaign has announced the release of a new radio ad, called "Closer," that features Bill Clinton touting his wife's ability to battle the country's economic problems.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Alex Mooney

1. April

I think the media is very stereotypical and critical of African-Americans by presuming that Clinton will not receive the support of African-American voters. I am an African-American woman that stands behind Clinton's disposition. I believe in her inducements and hope that they will diminish the enigmas that vex our American people. I hope Clinton becomes the next president of the United States. Although, who am I? I am not a celebrity or politician and certainly not influential enough to change the minds of millions of people.

January 24, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. K.I.

HILLARY, HILLARY, HILLARY, THAT'S ALL CNN KNOWS. I AM SICK TO DEATH OF CNN'S COVERAGE OF HILLARY; JUST FIVE SECOND OF OBAMA AND EDWARDS AND AT LEAST TWENTY MINUTES OF HILLARY CLINTON.

I AM SO ANGRY THAT CNN IS GIVING ALL OF THE ATTENTION TO HILLARY CLINTON.

CNN, YOU ARE GETTING JUST LILKE FIXED NEWS BUT I JUST TURNED TO THE FIXED NEWS CHANNEL AND THEY WERE GIVING MORE BALANCE TO THEIR REPORTS OF THE DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS.

BOY, WAS I SURPRISED. I AM NOW WATCHING FOX NEWS RIGHT NOW. BILLY O'REILLY IS ON AND I CAN'T BELIEVE HE IS MORE BALANCED THAN CNN.

I KNOW I WON'T SEE THIS BLOG ON CNN BUT DON'T WORRY, I AM PUTTING IT ON OTHER BLOGS.

CNN, GIVE THE OTHER CANDIDATES A CHANCE.

January 24, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  3. Not For Billary

I think Billary will be the candidate because she and Bubba and plain jane daughter are all on the attack. DIRTY WHITE TRASH.

January 24, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. Against Billary

tomdavie January 24, 2008 3:57 pm ET

Im crackin up

TO TOMDAVIE, YOU SOUND LIKE THE TYPICAL LIBERAL TO ME. THAT'S WHY I HAVE NO USE FOR LIBERALS. THEY ARE ALL LIKE YOU AND BILLARY AND BUBBA.

VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY SO HE CAN KICK BUTTS OF THE BILLARY AND BUBBA AND NOW CHELSEA SHOW.

NOW THEY HAVE DRAGGED THEIR HOMELY DAUGHTER INTO THE MIX.

January 24, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  5. to:Liberal Hillary lovertomdavie

YOU ARE THE PERFECT LIBERAL AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR FACE COME NOVEMBER.

VOTE JOHN EDWARDS, OBAMA, MIKE HUCKABEE, OR MITT ROMNEY.

PEOPLE WITH GOOD CHARACTER.

I HAVE NO USE FOR LIBERALS SUCH AS TOMDAVIE.

January 24, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. s.positive

No chance...

January 24, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. Jo

The following line proves that Hamby and Mooney are not fair and unbaised in their reporting:

Using the word Touting is a negative spin and done deliberately to give Obama the advantage. These political blogs are just a way for reporters to try to influence the political scene and the presidential campaign. Shame on you and CNN!!!

Obama and his campaign actually began the race issue, not Clinton. Hillary has always been a supporter of affirmative action and worked for the good of all Americans.

She and Bill were great for Arkansas. Bill was good for our country, and she will be great for our nation too! Hillary 2008!!!

January 24, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. Californian 4 Edwards

Two candidates who are focusing more on each other than on what really matters...the people of this country. Not enough room in the oval office for their egos. John Edwards is the ONLY democratic candidate who is keeping it real and talking about issues that are important to Americans and not who worked for Wal Mart and who worked for a Slumlord. Keep it on the issues...and give Edwards some time. CNN and other networks have helped to portray this as a two-dog race. Don't forget about "Upset" waiting in the wings...

January 24, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  9. discipline

CNN is not the enemy here. They are just reporting news. It is up to the reader to comment or not to comment. Vote for who you want to. Nonone cares. But do not blame CNN, they have made it possible to "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"

Comment or leave the ticker but dont blame the media for doing their job.

Really!!!!

January 24, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  10. Fred

Anybody but Hillary; former Clinton supporter

January 24, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  11. donna

Tony, smoking only causes problems for black Americans? Really? I didn't get the memo.

January 24, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  12. San Antonio Democrat

Barak Obama's statement that all this "fighting" will not damage the Democratic Party in the General Election is dead WRONG. As far as I am concerned if Hillary Clinton does not get the Democratic nomination, then I hope Mike Huckabee gets it and I will vote for him. If neither he nor Hillary get the DEM or REP nominations, I'll sit out the elections. I DO NOT WANT BARAK OBAMA AS OUR NEXT PRESIDENT. He is not qualified to be a President. Maybe if he spends a few more years in public office, he MIGHT be qualified, but NOT NOW! I don't trust him. He has "beady" eyes just like George Bush!

January 24, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. MARIETTA,GA

oh my oh my,what have we here,have we ever heard of looking before leaping?george bush send colin powell to the un to make a fool of himself,because powell trust him,are we going to trust the clintons after all the yarn that they have spun.they lost me somewhere at (obama praise of reagan).i started to do my own research,why?i desire to know the truth.hillary i am the one that got away.credibility is very important to me and you miss the mark..edwards /obama

January 24, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  14. Gary

I'm from Illinois and Obama has't come through on any of his so called promises. All he done is vote present. Take trips and write hisbook I don't think he really knows what going on. Just reading word in front of him.

January 24, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  15. Timmy

How dare you compare Barrack Obama to GW, that's an outrage

January 24, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  16. Micahel Guinn, Ventura, CA

I am a die-hard Obama supporter- and I think all this in-fighting is destroying our chances in November. Hopefully, all this republican-like hate mongering will end SOON! Enough!

January 24, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. Ash

It is ironic that:

1. HIlary claims to have 35 years of experience (25 per Chelsea!), in which she takes credit for her husband's white house years as if she was the one elected!
    2. Yet it took a beating in Iowa for her, after 35 years, to have finally "found her own voice" and start shaking hands with voters and do Q&A sessions – things every other mortal politician and public servant does from day one.
    3. If she is so ready to lead, why did it take her 35 years to find her voice?? The woman can't even find her own voice, with everything else going on in her head – how can she lead the free world? Oh i see – Bill will tell her what to do!

There's a giant step fwd for all women! I am actually amazed that to date, neither obama nor any of the other candidates have questioned her claim to "having the most experience" all along, beyond Dodd, Biden, and Richardson, whose resumes put hers to shame. Futher, prior "Experience" in the white house is not a prerequisite for the presidency – rather, its the opposite. If that was the case, we would always live in a dynastical political environment, not a true democracy.

She is shamelessly riding her hubby's coattails into the nomination and may be into the white house, all the while lying about and mudslinging her perfectly capable opponents and claiming to represent a vindication for women, I don't see why any women, black/white or whatver, find that appealing or a validation of any sort for women in general.

January 24, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Nicholas

If the ad didn't say "I'm Hillary Clinton and I support this message" at the end I would of thought that Rove was back and we were in the general election, I am ashamed at the lengths that the Clinton Attack Machine would go to twist the words of a fellow Democrat.
    This attack was dirty, we do need a new vision for America, that is what Raegan gave to the republicans and what Obama can do for America.

Obama 08

January 24, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  19. Kevin

Wake up people! If you can not see that Obama was pandering to the California independents and republicans when he was praising the republicans for their ideas then we do have a problem in this country and its not only our leaders but its also the people who cain't objectivily figure out the real politics in this situation. Of course Hillary should point this out and so should Obama if Hillary had said the same. My question is where does Obama Really stand on issues? Obama's been all over the board on several issues. Its easy to make remarks but never define them just like the republican ideas remark why did he not say he thought they were bad ideas. Because he was pandering!!!!!

January 24, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  20. 1Woman4Change, Texas

I am a 50+ year old, lifetime Democrat. I voted for Bill Clinton twice and was a very BIG Clinton supporter. For years, I had heard about Hillary being polorizing, but refused to buy it. Up until last summer, I had planned to even vote for her. I thank God for opening my eyes to this woman and the Clinton's. Without a shadow of a doubt, I will never, ever vote for anything Clinton. In my view she is dishonest and has ran a campaign full of distortions and without credibility. If African Americans feel these people are their "friends", I'd say.... Go find some new ones! The Clintons should be ashamed of themselves and the "Carl Rove" like campaign tactics that they are using. What would Senator Obama have to gain by playing the race card? Absolutely nothing! But, Bill & Hillary would certainly gain by using the same sort of reverse policital tactics the Republicans used in the '50's. Bill Clinton's calling Obama's campaign a "fairly tale" was offensive and he knew exactly what he was doing. Prior to being a transplanted senator from NY, Hillary was the wife of an unfaithful husband who was impeached for lying. Yes, Obama does seem to have a very smart and supportive wife. But, I haven't seen her lower herself to the levels of Bill Clinton and I haven't seen her discredit Hillary's character. I believe that she is faithful and honest. What can Hillary say about Bill? And, why on earth would someone allow a woman who was unable to run her own house run the White House? I'm sorry...... I don't want 2 for the price of 1! I am sick and tired of the Clintons and their same old slime politics. Hillary is a democrat Dubya from the state of Ark/NY. I said it earlier, Hillary and anything named Clinton will never, ever get my vote. I'm finished w/ them...... I wish they'd go home (wherever it really is) and learn how to treat others as they wish to be treated. It's time that they give honesty and respect a try.

Vote for real honesty, intregity, respect and change that only one man in this race can give0- Vote Barack Obama for President!

January 24, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  21. Franklin

I agree, Hillary and Bill have distorted the facts and have no business being in this election anymore

January 24, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. Joyce, Texas

I have been a supporter of Hillary, and I "think" I still am. However, should Obama be selected the candidate, I could support him gladly. I had hoped that either of the two would make a good choice for our country and would help us turn our current situation around. Heaven knows we need it.

It distresses me a great deal, however, the manner in which the Democratic campaign is headed and all the mud slinging and name calling. For what? Nothing good will come of it! When Hillary and Bill start, it only makes me want to vote for Obama all the more. Come on Clintons! We are sick of this kind of rhetoric!

If you want to win, stop playing to the media and giving them what they want. You know how they love to twist the simplistic of things and both of you are giving them far more than they need to go after your campaign. Obama is not a bad guy so stop the negative ads, stop the name calling and come up with the best plan for America and we will vote for you hands down!

And as many have already stated, the Republicans are loving the fighting and name calling. And how do you think any of you will ever be able to truly "work together to bring about change" if this is the way you run your campaign???

January 24, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  23. Jo

Free speech is still supposed to be responsible speech, and televison networks that say they have responsible reporting do not deliberatly use semantics to create negative images for the purpose of swaying an election or "tar and feathering" a candidate.

Oh , yes! The press did not give us Freedom of Speech, the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution did. I have the right to say this on this blog, and I did.

January 24, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. A. Risner/KY

I am convinced the media will do everything in their power to make sure Hillary Clinton doesn't win. Not only will she be fighting attacks from Obama, which she can't even defend herself from without being criticized, she will also be answering the same questions in the media over and over.

Bill Clinton is great for Hillary. By voting for her, you get the advantage of both; one of the smartest presidents we've ever had, but also a very intelligent woman who has shown her strength and ability to lead.

There is no question Obama is a good speaker. He can motivate people and that's excellent if this was a speaking contest. It's much more than that. It's the future of all of us and I for one have no problem voting for Hillary Clinton.

Lastly, she has the right to defend herself and expect the media to report the facts. She also has to right to defend her record and expect others to do the same. As far as intelligence and ability...it's not even close.

January 24, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  25. Sasha

Obama's talk about "Change" reminds me of a time when we were told that Saddam Heussein had WMD...
    We believed it, it was false, and now look at the mess we're in?

I'm sorry but what Obama has to offer is well-intended I am sure. His talk has the right intentions but exactly how is he going to fix everything? When he is asked, he has no clear answer, it's all scattered....his only response is to attack Hillary.

Let's be realistic please!!

And him saying he is willing to "work with" the republicans... Exactly HOW will he and how will it affect hmmm let me see the MAJORITY of the population that is getting poorer and poorer by the minute???

Too perfect, too scary... Reminds me of when our current President stood in front of the world with the "Mission Accomplished" banner flying over his head. We were fooled too many times,enough already!!!!

Who is he going to blame once he is in office?? Us, the People?!

We don't need that, sorry Obama

January 24, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |