January 24th, 2008

Clinton camp pulls negative ad in South Carolina

(CNN) – Just 24 hours after it was launched, Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign pulled a South Carolina radio ad that targets Barack Obama for his recent comments on the Republican Party.

The ad highlights Obama's recent interview with a Nevada newspaper in which he said, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years.”

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asked. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

The ad immediately drew sharp criticism from the Illinois senator's campaign. Obama spokesman Bill Burton denounced the spot as a "negative, dishonest attack," and later said they were planning on running a response ad that said Clinton "will say anything to get elected."

Clinton's campaign maintained its ad was "straightforward."

Clinton's South Carolina spokesman did not provide a reason why the ad was pulled, saying only, "we are on schedule with our "Closer" ads starting."

UPDATE: Clinton's campaign has announced the release of a new radio ad, called "Closer," that features Bill Clinton touting his wife's ability to battle the country's economic problems.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Alex Mooney

1. Matt Cleveland, OH

a) "Matt" needs to put down where he's from because I certainly don't want to be confused with the likes of him.

b) Listen, Matt: as much as he likes to delude himself that he's the great "uniter", Sen. Obama will be no such thing. Every match-up with him leads to about a statistical 50-50 vote or 10% one way or the other. When only 60% – at best – support a candidate, they'll never be a uniter. I know that I for one (a Rupublican) would never vote for a charismatic empty shell such as Obama, just as my girlfriend (a Democrat) would never vote for a charismatic empty shell such as Obama. Read up on the issues, evaluate plans, histories, ACTUAL voting records on ALL candidates, and then decide. Just because someone is "broadly-appealing" doesn't mean they'd be fit for the role of President, where voting "present" just doesn't cut it...

January 24, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Hillarylover

Why? He hasn't shown her the same. I can't believe how this is turning out. Give me a f'ing break. Doesn't matter – Obama is going down and fast. It is nothing against him. It's just that he isn't ready.

January 24, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. mike, il

Has anybody noticed that people say if Hillary wins they will vote for republican, but the Hillary followers would still vote for Obama if he won. I find that strange that people would still follow Hillary even though they know that she is going to divide this country even more, and most likely unite the Republican party when it is clearly divided. I just don't understand that, but these are just observations.

January 24, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. Ron Az

Oh, One other thing, look at the republican party and those that backed Bush and his destruction of this country. Come election time, lets get rid of the senators and congressmen who have backed bush in his follies. It will take my children and their children to dig us out of the mess Bush has gotten us into. When it is my time to leave, I will apoligize to my children for leaving them with The Bush burdon. God Bless us All.

January 24, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. LisaMpls

Jon and others: you say Obama's ad doesn't attack Hillary personally??

Obama's ad ends with stating that Hillary will say anything to get elected. What do you call that? A compliment? That is the biggest personal attack ever. Plus, it doesn't even give Hillary something to defend herself against. How do you answer to such a charge? Sounds like a sneaky move by Obama peeps.

Speaking of saying anything to get elected, did anyone see the LA Times article that came out today about Obama pressing the wrong button six times while voting in the IL Senate? In all honesty, it says that other state legislators have done it, too, but the article is hilarious. It ends by quoting another IL legislator (who is now pro-Obama) saying that he himself has never pushed the wrong button. Obama was able to explain away a couple votes with the excuse that he pushed the wrong button...except that he didn't have to say that excuse until after the results are announced and what he said doesn't change his vote. On one, if he had pushed the other button, the result would have been a tie (from what it seems). Instead, his screw-up pushed the vote the way he "says" he didn't want it to go. Interesting!!

January 24, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Dave

Where is the Hope? You Obama supporters always say thats the reason your voting for him. When you get right down to it he's not above throwing mud. So what exactly makes him so honorable? It's like the republicans and thier family values who cheat on their wives. I don't really care what people do personally I just can't stand the double standard. Which your fella Obama exemplifies.

January 24, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. Matt

Just a taste of what's to come folks. If Hill and Bill can generate this level of anger and position hardening among Democrats, where are we going to be in another four or eight years as a country?

On so many levels, Obama would be a better nominee than the HillBilly duo. We as a country need to make a break with the self consuming recent political past and take the country into the future. The focus of the Hillary people on the need to attack the republicidiots is just more kindling for the fire. Nothing positive for the country will get accomplished in the next four years. Only the trenches getting deeper on both sides of the political divide.

No more.

January 24, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. KNIX

DAVE- YOU IDIOT- People like you see one side of the coin all the time. How can you be so prejudice in a time where we are picking the leader of the new world? Hilary is attacking and sending the dogs out(Bill being one) to attack, while she smiles and advertently lies saying its facts. Every charge she has thrown at him, he has answered and countered with a decent response. How are you not clear on his positions? You must be so full of hate when he speaks that it deafens you. And since when does defending yourself become blatant attacks?
    If i say you are a 3 time molester in public, wouldnt it be your right to defend yourself against false allegations? I hope that you arent a racist, because if you are, that explains your unbelievably idiotic comments.

People like you are buffoons!!!

January 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. LNC

Good...the Clintons are hypocrites, they praised Republican policies themselves....

Hillary Clinton (in Brokaw book): When he had those big tax cuts and they went too far, he oversaw the largest tax increase. He could call the Soviet Union the Evil Empire and then negotiate arms-control agreements. He played the balance and the music beautifully.

And here’s Bill Clinton in 1998 at the dedication of the Reagan Building in Washington, D.C.:

Bill Clinton (May 5, 1998): The only thing that could make this day more special is if President Reagan could be here himself. But if you look at this atrium, I think we feel the essence of his presence: his unflagging optimism, his proud patriotism, his unabashed faith in the American people. I think every American who walks through this incredible space and lifts his or her eyes to the sky will feel that.

And, someone needs to tell Bill that he had his 8 years – he's nothing but a SPOUSE in this campaign and needs to keep his mouth shut and his nickel out.

January 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. stan pitts pa

the clintons only care about getting back in the white house! lets take our country back, the white house is not their birthright, it belongs to the American people! and we are tired of all the scandals and negativity that goes with that family!

January 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Columbia

I've decided I'm going to reinterpret some Obama supporters' remarks and see how it goes coming from the other side:

"I am sick of the lazy, MSM loving Obama campaign. He panders to Republicans, backs away from liberal positions (ie Social Security and socialized medicine) to get elected and attacks a great female senator. Doesn't he know this election is historic – why doesn't he just get out of the way? doesn't he know that politics is all about doing whatever is best for the other guy? I'm so sick of his elists supporters who base their votes on the most superficial aspects of a person (ie gives a speech – who cares!).

"In fact, I'm taking my ball and going home! Who cares if the country goes to hell in a handbasket? this is alllllll about me me me and my crush on Hillary. I'll vote for Huckabee before voting for Obama!"

Get over yourselves. You like Obama, but Hillary would be far from the worst nominee in the world and right now she's preferred by ... who are those people again? ... the voters. So you can convince other people to vote your way or you can throw temper tantrums about how she's a big ol meanie. I guess I know what most Obama supporter here will do.

BTW – In November, I will vote for the Democrat. Because it's not. all. about. me.

January 24, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Carol

How can I trust Hillary Clinton if she doesn't tell me what she will do with social security. How can I vote for her, literally.
    I have tried to research on what her proposals are and her healthcare plan is not universal.
    So, Do I just vote for her, anybody?

January 24, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

First, stop calling CNN the anti-Clinton network. The truth is, people see the bias where they want to. There are just as many people out there calling it the Clinton News Network.

Second, everyone in this country is entitled to vote for the candidate of their choice. It is a weakness on everyone's part that we don't seem able to recognize the flaws in our candidates. Both Clinton and Obama supporters ought to take the time to think about what they say before saying it. Name calling and attacks do not help anyone.

Third, last time I checked, the President is a representative of all Americans–much the same as a Congressman represents his state. Therefore, we need to look to someone who's going to unify the people. Please consider this regardless of who you support. Electing a president is not about choosing who can best fight the other side.

January 24, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. W B in Las Vegas

I think all this Karl Rove style "fear and smear" by BOTH the Clinton and Obama camps shows that their is only ONE CANDIDATE in the Democratic party that can UNITE the PARTY and DEFEAT the Republicans in November.

JOHN EDWARDS is the ANSWER!!!

JOHN EDWARDS means REAL CHANGE!!!

JOHN EDWARDS will bring VICTORY in NOVEMBER!!!

January 24, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Darth Vadik, CA

OK
    That is step one in the right direction...
    ...now lets take step two...

January 24, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Ken

Enough with lies. Enough!

January 24, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Aaron

Where the hell has this red-faced, angry, combative Bill Clinton been for the last eight years?

Did Bill get angry and demand that wrongs be righted after the Florida miscount? After Bush v. Gore? After Bush, Cheney, and Rice blew off his concerns about terrorism for 8 months? After Bush's unpreparedness for, inadequate and incomplete response to, and unconscionable exploitation of 9/11? After the unfair media and GOP attacks on Al Gore, Howard Dean, and John Kerry? After Katrina? Plame? The US Attorneys? The "lost" emails? The countless other mistakes and malfeasances of the Bush administration?

Sorry, Bill - by remaining silent in the face of so many grave catastrophes, you forfeited your right to attack Obama. You forfeited your right to be taken seriously as someone concerned about defending the principles of the Democratic Party - or of the Constitution, for that matter.

January 24, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Kris

You need to realize that this was a great strategic move by the Clinton campaign. They got the point out that Obama made these statements, then they pulled the ad and can finish these final days before the SC primary they can go away from that, but voters will have Obama's statements still in the back of their minds.

January 24, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. Kitty, Denver, CO.

The Clinton ad was not pulled because it was negative, it was because it was a lie exposed. Obama needn't pull his ad because unlike the former, his ad is true.

January 24, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Disgusted

I am disgusted with President Clinton. Like all liars, he has to continue lying to cover his track.

January 24, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. Richie

What can Bush do? Lie
    What can Clintons do? Lie,

Enough with politics as usual. Enough with dynasty. It should be a new day for America!

January 24, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. Larry, MO

I want to see hard evidence of all this mudslinging that Hillary's using; would it be such a bad idea to have cited ads from now on? I mean, really, Barack isn't golden, but how can he be, and why should Hillary be sacrosanct from the very types of behavior that she's using? Why is it such a bad idea, or even a bad idea to begin with, to run an ad that says that Hillary will do anything to win? Is that even remotely dishonest on Obama's part? For instance, the very ad that is causing all of this controversy; it's unfounded, and the fact that she pulled it, although its pulling may in fact have other motives, just goes to show that. And if it were a real piece of justifyable evidence, she would not have made a commercial out of it. COME ON PEOPLE! She would have been smarter than that; she would have reported it to the proper authorities. Otherwise, if she's, for instance, making it up... then she would probably just make it into a sleazy commercial and run it in a politically strategic state until Barack called her on it. Oh wait...

January 24, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. bobby

Is America ready to turn its back on the slime of the Clinton political machine?

I hope so. It is up to the women of the Dem. Party to say no to these kinds of tactics.

January 24, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. Bruno

poor obama has to battle against both clintons and their onslaught. what would hillary do against 2 obama's? I admire obama for having the stamina to fight back on 2 fronts and i have a feeling this unfair campaign by the clintons will give obama a lot of sympathy votes. Why doesn't bill clinton just stay out of this and let hillary stand on her own? as president she would need to stand on her own too but is obviouly not able to stand on her own now. the clintons become increasingly insympathetic to me the way they constantly trample on obama.

January 24, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Kevin, Phoenix, AZ

It amuses me that Hillary's supporters use the same tactics she does in belittling Obama supporters.

"Oh wait, I know all his little baby guppies are manning the phones for his Dialin for Dollars to stop Hell-ary cuz the coffers are running low...Carry on Obamafans… just remember what your mommies told you – don't run with scissors, never talk to strangers, and always wear your helmet when you ride your tricycles."

"Is it me, or do all of these Obama supporters come from the age bracket where a 'quick' 6 or 7 daily checks on their Myspace page to check on friend requests the priority in their lives?"

"And right on cue, here come the Obama supporters….. it's going to be a hate party!"

The tactics of the Clinton campaign are so transparent and basic that even your average Joe Citizen can copy it! I can't believe so many have fallen for it.

Anyone who supports this kind of crap is secretly terrified of a real fundamental change in politics. You've got your heads buried in the sand sticking to your old ways and you're trying to bully the rest of us into keeping you company. And I thought Democratic candidates were supposed to fight AGAINST the fundamental principles that seperate them from Republicans. Huh...

I don't know who I'm voting for yet but I do know a certainly lady who won't get my support. I don't respect a magician once I know all his (or her) tricks.

January 24, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |