January 24th, 2008

Clinton camp pulls negative ad in South Carolina

(CNN) – Just 24 hours after it was launched, Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign pulled a South Carolina radio ad that targets Barack Obama for his recent comments on the Republican Party.

The ad highlights Obama's recent interview with a Nevada newspaper in which he said, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years.”

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asked. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

The ad immediately drew sharp criticism from the Illinois senator's campaign. Obama spokesman Bill Burton denounced the spot as a "negative, dishonest attack," and later said they were planning on running a response ad that said Clinton "will say anything to get elected."

Clinton's campaign maintained its ad was "straightforward."

Clinton's South Carolina spokesman did not provide a reason why the ad was pulled, saying only, "we are on schedule with our "Closer" ads starting."

UPDATE: Clinton's campaign has announced the release of a new radio ad, called "Closer," that features Bill Clinton touting his wife's ability to battle the country's economic problems.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Alex Mooney

1. George from Minneapolis

Of course she pulled the ad IT WAS A LIE. she surely should not get any credit for that.

It amazes me how anyone can vote for hillary and think she is any different than george bush besides gender.

January 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. Ann, MO

Joe–Sorry, but I do not fit into the group that you seem to think is on this blog. I am a white 57 year old woman. I was thrilled at the thought of having a woman elected as President. I voted for Bill Clinton twice. There are two things that have happened in this race that have made me decide to vote for Obama.

The first was the debate in New Hampshire. I lived through the 50's and 60's just as Hillary did. I was raised by parents that had very stong feelings about Aftrican Americans. I didn't understand why I could not play with the little Black girl down the street, just because she was Black. As far as I was concerned, she was nice, fun to play with at school, and just like me. When I became a mother, I tried my best to instill into my children certain values. Honesty, integrity, working hard for what ever it is you want to do with your life. It was very important to me that my children understood that the character of a person is what is important. So...when Hillary made the remarks that she made during that debate about Martin Luther King, Jr. and Lyndon Johnson, I knew immediately what she was doing. Barack Obama had not played the race card. She played it at that very moment. In basically the next breath, she played the gender card.

Now I know that everyone is going to say that what she said was true, but the fact was, she said it knowing exactly what the outcome would be. It was very calculating and practiced.

The second thing that happened is Bill. As long as he was just campaigning in support of Hillary, talking about her experience, I thought it was appropriate to campaign for her. After all, he is her husband. The problem that I have now is the fact that she is running on the fact that she has 35 years of experience, is a strong woman that can lead this country, but she is letting Bill fight her battles for her. She is not willing to tell Bill that this is her election to win or loose on her own merits, instead is using him and his credentials as the "leader" of the Democratic Party to shread another Democrat. If John Edwards was her main opponent, then he would be attacking him.

I did not get to where I am today hiding behind my husband, or using his credentials. He certainly was not at my job interviews, or doing the heavy lifting for me. Being married to him certainly was not on my resume. And I certainly didn't use the fact that I had been his wife while he accomplished things as experience for me.

As far a Rezko, didn't Hillary have problems with the fact that she had a campaign supported that had hugh problems with the law? I don't thing I would try to bring that one back into the debate.

January 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Missmarple

Neither Hillary or Obama will be getting my Independent vote. I'll be going for Edwards. The backbiting and negative between the two Democrats are making Republicans SO HAPPY. They don't have to waste their money attacking either of the two. They're doing a great job of doing it for them.

January 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. Terry

The Democrats learned the art of mudslinging from the Republicans.

January 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Tyra

Didn't this lady tell us Obama is raising false hope? She is doing anything to go back to the white house. Having Bush Experience, I don't think I need another liar!

January 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. tomdavie

Im crackin up

Obama supporters:

'Everything Obama says is true. Everything the Clintons say are EVIL LIES.

'No more dynasties '

Clintons (somehow) =Bush . They are the same people apparently.

'Billary' is a joke.

'Bubba wuz 'cheetin' on hillary and got IMPEECHED.

Blah blah blah....

So why is Clinton WINNING in all the polls except South Carolina (cough, african american vote cough)

Let me guess. Everyone is STUPID except the Obama folks who come to this blogg.

January 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Carmen

I am dissapointed that Senator Obama lets the Clintons get to him. I feel that he should be 'over and above' this type of politics – when he responds to the attacks, he stoops to the same level as Ms Clinton. Senator Obama should stick to his message... and let intelligent americans decide... Ms Clinton's ratings are falling because of this type of negative, debased and deceitful campaign and she is trying to bring Senator Obama down with her. Hats off to Mr Edwards for remaining on cue.

January 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Gloria B.

I didn't see my comment Why?
    I have right to see my comment.
    I support Hillary Clinton!! Can I see my comment that I did defore?

January 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. jon doe

O ye of such a short memory.

The last presidential election we had involved the winner being elected because MOST of the people who voted for him believed Iraq did have WMDs found there and that Iraq had been involved in the 9-11 attacks. This oil comment by HRC doesn't even have HALF the ridiculous falseness of the garbage W led his supporters to believe and vote for in 2004. Oil prices might actually drop – her statement is unlikely to be true, but possible. W's stuff was flat out lies. This nation is sadly very, very full of uneducated and stupid voters.

January 24, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. madison

Here's the deal. Hillary leaves South Carolina on the same day that the ad airs and bill clinton goes rabid. Hillary returns to South Carolina today so they pull the ad .What i find absolutely amazing is how many people have forgotten that this guy was disbarred for perjury- WHILE HE WAS STILL IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!! If he lied to his wife, lied to us and lied in court, if he had the audacity to debate what the word "is" is in a deposition, if he stooped so low as to prove he was for law and order by allowing a mentally disturbed black man to be executed in 1992 when he was govenor of Arkansas and running for president in, then why do people continue to believe anything Slick Willy says? The clintons are a disfunctional couple who need to give the democratic party ,and moreover the entire country , a chance to cleanse themselves from their sleeze. All i can say is that Karl Rove must be licking his chops. The clintons are their own swiftboaters. And make no mistake about it, whomever the republican nominee turns out to be will have no "relationship" with Rove, but that is exactly what hillary said in her response to the casino workers law suit in nevada. Bill clinton will never best Karl Rove, especially when Rove is going to have so many democrats (myself included) offering to help him in anyway we can. Bottom line- I'd rather wait 4 years (for Sen.Obama ) under a republican president than have to deal with 8 more years of Billary. When they tried to drag Sen.Obama into the gutter with them, that was the last straw for me. Karl ,i'm out here. Call me after feb. 5th.

January 24, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. maggie

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!!! Obama should have been ready.
    Maybe if the other political party wasn't so boring Bill and Hillary would not have the spotlight. Is there anyone out there that thinks the REPUBLICANS won't hit Obama harder than this if he wins. Get real.

January 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Henry

wow..we have a lot of Republicans posting here. I see they are doing their part in attacking Clinton.

January 24, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Vince

The only reason why Hillary is winning is because she has the Democratic power establishment behind her.

January 24, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Megan

Hillary,

1)Stop asking if Obama was praising the ideas as "good" or "bad" because you're forcing an issue that isn't there. Clearly, Obama was saying that the Reagan years' ideas were TRANSFORMATIVE. He reserved judgment as to rating them as "good" or "bad" ideas. The problem is in the way you frame the question, like you're trying to FRAME him. And, that is the Clinton approach, and that is what people are sick of regardless of party affiliation. I was once seriously considering Clinton (Billary), but her proposals and tactics have led me to...

2)If Hillary gets on the Democratic ticket, I'm voting for McCain.

But I am a Californian voting for Obama in the primary.

January 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. KNIX

Please, women of all colors, you have the ultimate power on this spat. Be rational to the fact that a man of change can change things for woman just as well as a woman because he will bring 2gether races ist of all. Hilary cant do that because she is in her quarters thinking about another smear tactic. How can you want someone in the White house who is always on the attack like a cowboy(GEORGE BUSH)?

America deserves to have balance and fairness. We are so divided by the same things Hilary pulls. Barack hasnt lied on her. State it for me please if he has, i havent seen it. Yet everyday when i get home from work, its something else she is attacking him about that raises the question of how mature are the Clintons this time around.

A month ago, she is crying saying everyone is beating up on her, so she gets Bill to go regulate so to speak. Bill is pissed that the media made his wife cry and now its just bitter feelings. Barack doesnt hate Hilary. I bet Hilary partly despises Barack tho.

You have to earn the presidency not expect people to hand it to you. All media is saying the same thing about how ugly this is, Why is it ugly? the Clintons.

I would bet my life that Barack wouldnt blatantly lie on her to increase his delegate votes. It's crazy and people who like that drama need to stick to reality tv. Watch Amercian Idol. Politics are meant to be serious. The issues are vital enough.

January 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. PAYING ATTENTION

I was a big fan of the Clintons in the 90's. Their conduct in this race has sickened me so much that I may very well not vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination.

January 24, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. cheryl, Arizona

How can Obama criticize Clinton when he is running an ad basically calling her a liar and that she will do anything to win. But of course his supporters will not say anything about that. Attack on issues but he sure attacks on her personally.

January 24, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. scotty

so tell me something where were all of you in the nineties
    and how was your income, your home values, and how the world regarded the united states and how are you all doing now
    and what makes Obama so positive – and a lot of what was said were not lies they were facts remember single payer health care I guess that was a distorted lie by the cllinton campaign

January 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. Alan

Just substitute the words "Hitler' for "Reagan" and "Nazi Party" for "Republican Party" in the quotes from Obama and you'll see how ludicrous it is for him to say that his praise was somehow detached from the people he was praising. If somebody said that Hitler inspired and motivated people, and that the Nazi party put forth new and energizing ideas they would be (rightfully) shamed into apologizing. Same with Obama looking wistfully to Reagan and the Republican Party of the '90s as his inspiration.

January 24, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. frankie

Obama quote: "I WILL NEVER LIE TO YOU" Wow that went bye-bye quickly. How about the 6 times you hit the wrong button, by mistake, on critical votes in Illinois. How about answering that credit card question from the debate, I'm still waiting. What about the $200K in campaign funds you received from you slumlord friend Mr. Rezko. And can you explain that real estate deal that provide you with that beautiful home in Hyde Park, IL? Lets see who bought the lot right next to your mansion on the same day you close on that sweetheart real estate deal - oh that's right Mr. Rezko again.

I knew he is arrogant and thought him to be a bit pompous, so now I just need to add sore loser to his bio. Oh and tell Michelle I'm one of those black people who just woke up.

January 24, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Regina Davis

I admire Hillary Clinton for continuing to take part in politics after she and her husband were smeared by the Republicans from Day One after his election. She must be made of steel, shaped by fire not ice. I sense she possesses a true concern for the country and the ordinary citizen. She is a lot smarter than the rest of the candidates, smooth talking men with trophy wives, little paper dolls unable to speak on their own. Our generals have said she knows more about the war in Iraq than anyone else in the Senate. Bill did not dump her for a younger, blonder model, but has been fortunate enough to be around to see her at her very best. You go girl!

January 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Vince Los Angeles, CA

I have ALWAYS supported a woman's right to choose and Bill Clinton is listed as one of the people I'd like to meet most on my myspace page……BUT….it's pretty obvious that the Democratic party has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Consistently the Democratic party is proving to be a party of NON-THINKERS and knee-jerk reactionists. I despise the tought of restrictions on the freedom of speech….I despise the spectre of what happend in Katrina….but it is obvious Democrats have no intention of listening to reason…..My reasons for not supporting HRC have everything to do with my desire to see this country healed, pull out of Iraq and have our respect restored around the world. Hillary Clinton will not be able to work with the other side that is NEEDED to accomplish anything!

I am sick and tired of our government NOT GETTING ANYTHING DONE!! This country needs someone who can reach out, work with and compromise with Republicans…..HILLARY CLINTON IS NOT THAT PERSON.

The pro-Hillary posts I see here are a perfect example of the very closed-minded, non-thinking, vitriolic, ignorance that will drive people like myself out of the Democratic party….Let's see what happens to a woman's right to choose when you keep losing people like me….
    :-)

January 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Dennis Oshodin

Let us not make the Revered American Presidency a petty race issue. Hillary Clinton is smart, intelligent and experienced to take America to the next level. To me, she seems the only BEST thing at the moment for America. Let the Oprabamas go take a nap!!!!! We really do need a more decisive President like Hillary.

January 24, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. Mike, Houston, TX

I guess that give Hillary some time to talk about pulling the ad rather than having to talk about her positions.

January 24, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. MJ

BILL CLINTON IS A CONVICTED LIAR. A CONVICTED LIAR. A CONVICTED LIAR.

WHAT MAKES ANYBODY THINK HE WOULD TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT ANYTHING?

CONVICTED LIAR!!! CONVICTED OF LYING UNDER OATH. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? BILL CLINTON LIED UNDER OATH.

BUBBA CLINTON AND BILLARY CLINTON WOULD DO ANYTHING TO GET BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE. A CONVICTED LIAR. LIED UNDER OATH. CONVICTED LIAR.

January 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |