January 24th, 2008

Clinton camp pulls negative ad in South Carolina

(CNN) – Just 24 hours after it was launched, Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign pulled a South Carolina radio ad that targets Barack Obama for his recent comments on the Republican Party.

The ad highlights Obama's recent interview with a Nevada newspaper in which he said, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years.”

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asked. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

The ad immediately drew sharp criticism from the Illinois senator's campaign. Obama spokesman Bill Burton denounced the spot as a "negative, dishonest attack," and later said they were planning on running a response ad that said Clinton "will say anything to get elected."

Clinton's campaign maintained its ad was "straightforward."

Clinton's South Carolina spokesman did not provide a reason why the ad was pulled, saying only, "we are on schedule with our "Closer" ads starting."

UPDATE: Clinton's campaign has announced the release of a new radio ad, called "Closer," that features Bill Clinton touting his wife's ability to battle the country's economic problems.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Alex Mooney

1. James Moore

I'm sure to vote for Barack on February 5th here in NJ...Since the debate< I'm sure I would not vote in the national election if it is not Barack or John Edwards. The Clintons have lost their souls...

January 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. A.K.

tomdavie January 24, 2008 3:57 pm ET

Im crackin up

Dear tomdavie: Your nasty candidate will probably win the primary and here comes the onslaught of the republicans and they don't care what other democrats think about their methods. They will use the same dirty tricks, lies, and misstatements the Bubba and Billary Show Are Using.

YOUR BUBBA IS A CONVICTED LIAR. A CONVICTED LIAR. HE LIED UNDER OATH. OH, YEAH, WE NEED A CONVICTED LIAR IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

YOU WON'T BE CRACKING UP COME NOVEMBER WHEN YOUR CONVICTED LIAR AND HIS WIFE GET THEIR BUTTS KICKED.

January 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Carol

Clinton folks are plain dumb. Reagan believed in the individual, Clinton believes that people need bureaucrates to fix their lives. Very unAmerican

January 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. Bill, Chicago, IL

Typical Hillary – throw it out there, see how people react, then adjust your stance. They didn't like this particular batch of lies, so pull it. She really is the slimiest of the slimy.

January 24, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Independent in MI

After reading these blogs, it is clear why Bush was elected – TWICE. Democrats are so self-defeating.

Go McCain!!

January 24, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. AK

BUBBA CLINTON IS A CONVICTED LIAR!!! A CONVICTED LIAR!! BUBBA CLINTON LIED UNDER OATH!!! HE IS A CONVICTED LIAR.

OH YEAH HE WILL TELL THE TRUTH NOW!! ha ha ha

January 24, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. John

Have we forgotten how the Clintons work do you all remember this or not 'I DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN" the say guy who apologised for it after saying it, for how long are we going to let him run his mouth without any resposibility, he proved he can lie, what makes you think he wont do it again for another woman, only this time its for his wife.

January 24, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Kris

You need to realize that this was a great strategic move by the Clinton campaign. They got the point out that Obama made these statements, then they pulled the ad and can finish these final days before the SC primary they can go away from that, but voters will have Obama's statements still in the back of their minds.

CNN, why am I always in moderation? Oh well, I guess you have your reasons. Maybe you are leaning one way in this election.

January 24, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Newton

"How can Obama criticize Clinton when he is running an ad basically calling her a liar and that she will do anything to win."

cheryl, Arizona January 24, 2008 4:26 pm ET

Uh, maybe because she repeatedly lies about what he has said and the natural inference is that she will say anything to win...

January 24, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  10. MD from MD

Why don't my comments get posted? I've written three and I never use profanity!

January 24, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. Henry

I can't believe people are still bringing up the Obama "experience factor"; our current president has made extremely narcissistic decisions and hired people aligned to his own selfish ideology. Obama is nowhere close to that route of leadership, but I believe Hillary and George W. are much more closely aligned in corporate and selfish interests than Obama will ever be.

January 24, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. Chris, Middletown, CT

yet....she had the ad out there...and let CNN know she "pulled it" – so they would run it....

January 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. Shirley

The Rezko matter is proof positive that Obama is nothing more than an Illinois machine politician and not the "standard bearer of change" he claims to be.
    He's also endorsed party hacks like Toddler Stroger and Alexi Giannoulos. Where's the "change" here in Illinois, Barack? You know, the state you're SUPPOSED TO BE REPRESENTING!

I agree these are reasonable questions:
    Are we so stupid that we would believe that Obama just happened to coincidentally write a letter on behalf of Rezkos co. so that co. could get publiv funding for their business? All that we know of IL and Cook COunty politics. Do people really think that we are that stupid. Also helping Obama pay $300,000 less for his house, my question is what did Obama do for Rezko in order to get that "help". Also now looking at how Obama used his PAC to buy support in Iowa and NH really makes me wonder how anyone could support this corrupt Cook County Hack.

These are from Los Angeles Times:
    The Times arrived at the total of more than $200,000 by reviewing donations
    dating back to 1995, primarily looking at people who had business relationships
    with Rezko.
    ...
    But in 1998, then-state Sen. Obama wrote to state and city officials urging
    them to provide funding for New Kenwood LLC, a company formed by Rezko and
    Allison Davis. Obama wrote the letters, first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times,
    on Illinois Senate stationery, saying: "This project will provide much
    needed housing for 4th Ward citizens."
    ...
    In addition to being a campaign benefactor, Rezko also surfaced when Obama
    and his wife purchased their house on Chicago's South Side in 2005. On the
    day the Obamas bought their house, Rezko's wife, Rita, bought an adjacent
    lot from the same sellers, part of which Obama later bought back.
    Rita Rezko's purchase, at the $625,000 asking price, came just as the Obamas
    successfully bid in a slow market to buy the house for $300,000 below the
    asking price, according to the Chicago Tribune.
    Obama says there was nothing improper in these transactions. The housing
    deal came after it was known that Rezko was under scrutiny by federal authorities.
    Obama has said that, in retrospect, the property deal was a "mistake" because of the appearance it created.
    ...

January 24, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. docrock,tx

Can anyone explain to me how Bills' infidelity can in ANY way be equated with dubyas'illegal war,his lies and cover-ups,and the total disdain he has for every one that does not agree with him?And John Edwards can't even be treated fairly in a debate because it was a Black forum that was put up only to embaress HRC.I keep wondreing when the White caucus will have a debate,and ask Obama questions that are not slanted in his favor?Oh,I forgot,if I don't vote for Obama I am a racist.Fine.I will gaurantee that there will be redneck voters that have NEVER voted,that will crawl out of the woodwork just to vote against this hippocrit.By the way,I simply don't care how many of the Obamites that call me racist,because it takes one to know one.

January 24, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Don't be so quick to judge why the Clinton's pulled the ad because I'm sure it wasn't because of pressure from Obama's people. Read the words in the ad carefully and think about them. You don't have to be a democrat or republican to figure that out, just plain common sense.

January 24, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Dennis Oshodin

I find it hard to believe that people can not see through all the all the divisive strategies of the Senator Barack Obama camp. First they brought the fairytale race issue, then came the lie about Martin Luther King and finally, the Hillary will say anything to get elected.
    However, let them know that this is American and we see issues as they are and not as some inexperienced race conscious camp want us to see them. On Senator Clinton we still stand.

January 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. Kim, Los Angeles, CA

Obama, you are finished. The media has finally got the story on how your slum landlord friend helped you buy your mansion in Illinois. You only did "five hours work for him". Right. No one believes you now.....In the next few days, CNN and Fox will be breaking the story. You deserve this...because it was you who played the race card. You instigated this personality war with Hillary because you couldn't compete with her on the issues. Shame on you Obama. As of Feb. 5, it will be
    Bye, Bye. Obama. HILLARY WILL BE THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE.

January 24, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. Seth

Democrats! You are going to lose this thing for yourself if you're not careful. Regardless of whether you like Obama or Edwards they are the best choices of the three. Clinton would be trounced by McCain, she can hardly use the "experience" theme against him, and on special interests she'd look a fool in comparision. That said her health care plan really must be the worst of the lot too, it is almost exactly like the healthcare changes introduced by the Conservatives in Australia under John Howard, the idea was that the more people who signed up to private health care the cheaper it would become. The reality was healthcare premiums went through the roof, and despite legislation, healthcare became more unaffordable.

The choice in blatantly obvious, Obama or Edwards.

January 24, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. Anex

Isn't the phrase "party of ideas" generally considered praise? If so, Obama's use of it implicitly meant the "party of good ideas." Similarly, challenging conventional wisdom is usually considered a good thing, suggesting bold new ideas supplanting tired old ones. It's simple logic, Jake, not, as you seem to prefer, another Clinton lie. Obama seems to suggest that it was only after we gave these "good" ideas a chance that we found out how bad they were. Any Democrat at the time could have told you they wouldn't work, because we'd seen this movie before (can you say Reaganomics?) If this is not what he meant, then he's not a clear thinker - after all, why applaud ideas that are bad, or challenge conventional wisdom with bad ideas? - nor a clear speaker.

January 24, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. soul

I am fed up with this pattern of Clintoning lying and powergrabbing! Do we really need another 8 years of dynasty politics! I am so angry.

Stop trying to get a third term Bill. No more Clinton lies!

January 24, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  21. Bob

Where was Karen during the last two presidential elections?
    Did he lament the swiftboating? The demonizing of Kerry? The constant fabrication of fear-and-smear from the Right? Hell no!

January 24, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. erin Davis CA

What a bunch of he said /she said garbage....John Edwards is the best guy for the job...I hope my fellow democrats will realize this before its too late

January 24, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. Ann Mays

I am so sick of seeing everyone bash the Clinton's. Why is it ok for Obama to get away with his attacks but when Hillary retalliates its all wrong. Another thing, Hillary is a smart and intellegent woman and she is trying to make everyone see that we can have good times again. I cried when Bush won the Presidency over Gore in 2000 ..what a terrible day now we are faced with the possibility that we get another darned republican because the Dems can't get along. This is the problem..I believe Obama's camp was the one who decided to play the race card..they planted it and hoped for the Hillary's camp to take it up. The Clintons are not racist..think back to the 90's. Blacks in America we're better off than they are today. The Clintons have advocated for the African Americans ..have you forgotten that. Another thing, I don't know what the heck the rest of you do for a living but I work hard only for the government to take a bigger bite out of my paycheck . In the last 3 years my health insurance premiums have more than quadruptled. I am sick of it ..I want the comfort of life we had in the 90's. I think Obama's time will come but I would feel much better as a concerned citizen if he were more experience with all walks of life..not just the black inner city of Chicago. I think its admirable that he dedicates his time to make a better life for the African American's but there are other races, nationalities in this country and I think the Clinton's will do more for all of us. Hillary I think you can do it ! Don't give up the fight. Good Bless America and GO HILLARY!

January 24, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  24. Rajesh from Bangladesh

Hello everybody! I like Mrs Clinton since she will send jobs here, to Bangladesh. Thank you Hillary, for supporting free trade and many bush policies. it has helped us very very much. also, much thanks to getting many jobs here. the rupee is very strong now thanks to bill & hillary and bush, so sorry about your dollar though. thank you hillary for helping bangledeshis!

January 24, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. Frank J. (MO)

Hit-and-Run

But I will cast my vote for Barack Obama and I will cast my vote in November – and if there's Hillary on the ticket, I will vote for the opponent !

Frank