January 24th, 2008

Clinton camp pulls negative ad in South Carolina

(CNN) – Just 24 hours after it was launched, Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign pulled a South Carolina radio ad that targets Barack Obama for his recent comments on the Republican Party.

The ad highlights Obama's recent interview with a Nevada newspaper in which he said, "The Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10, 15 years.”

"Really? Aren’t those the ideas that got us into the economic mess we’re in today? Ideas like special tax breaks for Wall Street," the ad's narrator asked. "Running up a $9 trillion debt. Refusing to raise the minimum wage or deal with the housing crisis. Are those the ideas Barack Obama’s talking about?"

The ad immediately drew sharp criticism from the Illinois senator's campaign. Obama spokesman Bill Burton denounced the spot as a "negative, dishonest attack," and later said they were planning on running a response ad that said Clinton "will say anything to get elected."

Clinton's campaign maintained its ad was "straightforward."

Clinton's South Carolina spokesman did not provide a reason why the ad was pulled, saying only, "we are on schedule with our "Closer" ads starting."

UPDATE: Clinton's campaign has announced the release of a new radio ad, called "Closer," that features Bill Clinton touting his wife's ability to battle the country's economic problems.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Alex Mooney

1. Joe Ossai, Bedford, NH

It's funny when I see Clintons supporters post liars on this board and it starts this way:

"I'm a black person and I was a supporter of Obama but I have changed my mind because of XYZ. now I'm supporting Clinton. That is load of bullcrap."

"birds of the same feather ". It seems to me if you are dishonest person, you love the Clintons. They are liars PERIOD.

This is a shame, given the last 7 years of crap. We can not afford another 8 years of the same crap from the Clintons.

January 24, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Naomi

It is shocking and depressing to see how many people in these comments think that dictionary definition lying is all a part of the system and is perfectly fine and fair. The first part may be true, but the latter never will be. So was Bill and Hill.
    No to these people!

January 24, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Folk

Americans are stupid!!

These are the same people who elected George W to a second Term!!

So yes Hillary will get the Nomination and become President.

This country will stay on the same path it has been on since 1988 (when the first Bush took office). In 2012 we will no longer be a super power due to our inability to CHANGE.

I am glad you all have what's coming to you!! Stupid is as Stupid does.

Enjoy your marginalized Election!!

January 24, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. Chirag Patel, London

I am sitting here in London, I have never before been interested in USA politics and although I glimpse here and there at times just to see what's happening outside and inside politics, issues in USA and how the current situation is. I think its time for Americans to open their eyes, stop fighting like cats and dogs see the real aspect of how things will affect US and globally how it affects each individual and vote for the right person.

Although I adore Bill Clitons's past presidency and set his record but looking at the current CNN and ABC videos I see what they are doing in this policitcal race: "Anything to get into white house!" Now does this really reflect the USA people and its politics? A lie and distrust. I felt that they earned respect and effortlessly would win but it looks like a no goer!

I would be much pleased to see if Obama maintained his enthusaism from the very start of his campaign and would recommend to keep going. After all, being honest, geninune and being strong what determines people of USA and rest of the world need to see.

I like the Republican candidates but looking at current situation, i don't see them making changes or have a grip of people's mind as to what the people and its country are facing.

January 24, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. DAVE

FRANKIE,

Of all the Post Today, I take my hat off to you. What you have posted in 100% truth and I'm one of those white folks who has always been awake. But I'm going to cross the racial lines and just say it " I Love U Man! " LOL

January 24, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Omar Norfolk

The DNC will not allow Billary to be the candidate, THEY KNOW she CAN NOT win in a general election. FACT!

Rudy could beat Billary in a general election.

January 24, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Cheryl

Since democrats have made it a long-standing practice of sending losers to the general election, I can't wait to see the presidential race between Hillary and John McCain....and I can't wait to vote against Hillary.

January 24, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. Gigi

I have a suggestion for all those voters in South Carolina . . . forget both Clinton and Obama and vote for your favorite son, John Edwards. That would really shake things up!
    Edwards is the only candidate giving specifics as far as plans for our future is concerned. Just spouting experience or change don't or won't get it done!

January 24, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  9. Susandra

It seems to me that maybe a leader who is willing to acknowledge the good points in his/her apponent would be someone willing to work with the opposition for the greater good of the country rather than hindering progress because they feel they are always right. Don't forget that for every side there is another side who feels just as strongly that they are right too and we all have to live in the same country.

January 24, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. GiveMeABreakinTexas

Is this the good cop routine here?

I'm getting real confused...Bill...Hillary...Bill... Hillary...Bill...Chelsea...Hillary...good cop/bad cop...crying...ranting at Obama... ranting at the press...I think my head is spinning.

Oh...wait a minute...now I get it. Just before South Carolina votes, you're gonna be the good cop. I knew you Clintons had to be working an angle to throw us off. Some of us have real short memories...but some of us don't.

January 24, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. Daniel, NY, NY

CNN is dividing this country. I have officially stopped watching you b/c your coverage is one-sided. Get off the Obama wagon and cover the election fairly.

January 24, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. James D.

Cheryl from Arizona....

The reason Barack is running that ad is to stand for the truth! Billary *WILL* say ANYTHING to WIN. Obama's finally going to stop being a Clinton punching bag.

If Hillary would simply run on the issues instead of dragging Obama into a mudfest....and she won the nomination....I would HAPPILY vote for her. She has NOT done that. It's been divisive, dishonest smear tactics...part of that strategy is making Obama look as if he's just as guilty of this crap. She knows (and she's right) that she can win a dishonest fight. Unfortunately as she wins the nomination, she will have lost MANY, MANY life long dems for the general election. STUPID! Get used to saying President McCain now (unless Bloomberg runs).

January 24, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. icky

What I find really interesting...and you CNN NOT reporting it... why is Hillary the bad person for pointing out shady behavior...when everyone is doing it...including Barack...he has done the same to her....don't quite get it... does it have to do with sexism... I hear people refer to her as a witch... anyone aware enough knows what this is about... Very Interesting ...but very sad...

January 24, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. icky

they all have about the message message...the question is who can deliver...who has already delivered...look at all the candidates website...and see exactly what they have delivered....there is no question...who can make the changes...because she has for many, many years...take a look make an educated vote...not one on voting for a nice guy...We have already made that mistake on the last two elections

January 24, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. Melody

I am really tired of the mud slinging and lies that the Clinton team are telling about Obama. He has a right to DEFEND himself and those saying he is going negative are totally out of place. He has to set the record straight so we do not have "Billary swift boating". The country is tired of this same out politics and the Clinton trying anything they can to win. Hopefully the American people will be smarter than when they put Bush in the white house. NO CLINTON DYNASTY!

January 24, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  16. Jon

I wonder if Obama will pull his negative ad? Hm...

January 24, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. Esteban Robles

Madness! With this election, the Democrats have the best chance they've had in years to beat a truly fractured, non-credible Republican Party, with no Republicans really happy about any of their candidates, and what do the Democrats do? They play self-destruct. They are going to give the election to the Republicans by default. I never imagined that John McCain would be able to run as the "unity" candidate, but the Democrats are going to end up giving him the election. Very depressing.

January 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  18. amandi anaeze

I think that Americans need BIll's wife as president at this time so that her economic agenda can resucitate the nations hallucinating economy.

January 24, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. not a hillary fan

google clinton plus scandal, that Rezko incident can't touch the scandal with the Clintons. We all need to investigate.

January 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  20. 4 Hillary

"Stand for Change" is meaningless if Obama does not know what change he can implement. The whining Obama is not ready for this task.

Go Hillary

January 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  21. Guy

I just wish both of them would realize that we are all democrats. I am a strong supporter of Senator Obama and I truly hope he wins the nomination, but if Senator Clinton (or Senator Edwards) is our candidate, I will support them.
    This negative in-fighting hurts the party and will make it tougher on whomever has to face the republican nominee in November.
    Don't waste our time telling me why I shouldn't vote for your opponent, tell me why I should vote for you.

January 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  22. mammacic

Obama has shown that he is not the "above the fray" candidate that he claims. His comments were a direct attack against Bill Clinton's presidency. The Clintons have a right to respond.

Obama never ever gives any indication how he will "change" Washington. If he were to be the next president he would spend his first term finding out just how impossible that is. If any one thinks the republicans are going to step in line behind Obama think again. They will do everything they can to destroy him so there will be no second term.

Obama supporters never really talk about what Obama will do or how he will do it they just jump right in and start bashing Hillary.

Hillary has been through the republican attacks and survived. She will not have to go through the learning curve that Obama would. Hillary is the candidate that can bring change and start doing it the first day.

January 24, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  23. JohnS

I love Hillary taking charge during the debates, but crashing EMOTIONALLY before or after the debates.

The answer is simple, American men do not like to "attack" or challenge their women in public, period.

So, Obama and Edwards, please let Hillary win the DEBATE and all the women will get your votes. That is, be "GENTLE-men; do not beat on poor Hillary."

January 24, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Emily

Obama has been personally attacking Hillary for two days straight.. His attacks are the sign of a desperate man...not one of hope and definitely not one of experience. He has an excuse for every time he loses a primary/caucus. His team whines and complains about "race" and yet they were the ones who started the whole thing and continue to perpetuate the issue.

I wonder if Teddy Kennedy and his pals will lecture him like they did President Clinton? Will CNN and the other media outlets start to provide balanced reports?

No. I didn't think so.

January 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. JohnS

Why pull a NEGATIVE ad and claim the moral high road? Well, it is like "slapping" your mate and saying, "Sweetheart, I really did NOT mean to hurt you!" Too late, the damage has been done, period!!!!

Apparently, like Hillary, her supporters lack the basic need for human feelings!!!

January 24, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |