January 24th, 2008

Clinton returns to South Carolina for final push

Clinton is in the middle of a final 48-hour push in South Carolina.
Clinton is in the middle of a final 48-hour push in South Carolina.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton has returned to South Carolina to make her final push before the state's Saturday primary.

The New York senator spent the last two days looking ahead to the "Super Tuesday" states while her husband made the rounds in South Carolina.

Her absence led some to question whether she was conceding the state to rival Barack Obama, but she's stepping up her campaigning in the final hours.

Clinton on Thursday was delivering a speech on the economy in Greenville before heading to Anderson. Obama was attending an event in Kingstree, a roundtable discussion in Beaufort and rallies in Beaufort and North Charleston. Clinton and Obama were to appear separately on African-American radio host Michael Baisden's nationally syndicated show.

Clinton and Obama are leading the race in South Carolina, ahead of former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, who was holding events in Greenwood and Seneca Thursday.

The Saturday primary wraps up a week marked by tense rhetoric regarding the role of race in the presidential election.

The candidates have been trying to win the support of South Carolina's African-American voters, who make up roughly 50 percent of the state's Democratic primary electorate. Obama is leading that group in most recent surveys.

(Full story)

1. dee

Hillary Voted for war with Iraq and Iran(2007) for Bush

someone explain how experience paid off. She never learned from her mis-takes.

Nafta – SC loss Jobs

Please explain why would you want more.

January 24, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  2. Khwaty

After SC, Obama is a goner; it would be Hillary and Edwards to Super Tuesday. Obama have been using the race card and milk it for all its worth. If you listened to Martin last night in CNN he was right, Obama cannot win depending on black votes alone. I have a lot of black friends, highly educated people; they're not voting for Obama, Hillary has their vote. They base their choice on issues and who CAN deliver thru action not in words.

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. Andre, CA

Annie, CA,
    I'll leave your sadly mistaken comment about healthcare alone; that's precisely what the whole article in Newsweek is about. But I will suggest the following: it's unfortunate, but Senator Clinton's healthcare plan next time will go as far as her first one did. She will win the nomination and may win the election but will so bitterly divide the country in the process that Congress will be even more gridlocked than it is now. You'll get your woman President. The country will get more divisiveness than we have now.

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  4. Jess

Has anyone else been watching the republican debates. I am glad I switched to Independent today. I don't agree with very much of what the Republicans stand for, but you have admire their civility during the debate. Reagan was a political genius when it came to this kind of thing. The "11th commandment" was brilliant. Don't personally attack your own party. The democratic debate was like watching a Jerry Springer episode. These forums are much worse and I have to admit my share of guilt in that. At this rate, the Democratic party is truly doomed if this polarization continues.

Perhaps if more of us were able to acknowledge why the republicans are such a strong party, the democrats would have a better chance. But that would be a stretch for too many people. Forget about dividing the party, what about the country. And if more of us were a bit more Independent, perhaps our politicians would have to work harder and be more accountable. I support Obama but urge ALL candidates to show a new level of civility in the next debate. Is that at least one thing we can all agree on? Or is that a bit too idealistic?

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  5. Demi, OKLAHOMA

Hillary is in a no win situation every where she turns...too stern...too teary....where's Bill? too much Bill..... BUT she still keeps going....and keeps WINNING!!

As a woman, a doctor, and an American –I am so proud of her!!

I also think Obama could do a great deal to help her bring the country and world together. They would be a great team....as soon as this primary garbage is over - Obama for VP!!

HILLARY / OBAMA 2008 ! ! !

January 24, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  6. dee

November will be Obama vs Romney

January 24, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. Eddie W.

I have found Bill Clintons behavior in South Carolina both appalling and disgusting. If there has ever been an instant of Race Baiting,then Bill Clinton has done it in South Carolina and will continue to do it until the American public says enough is enough.As Senator Obama has stated ...he is campaiging against 2
    Clintons.The Clintons do not realize that the Obama campaign is made up of thousands of fed-up (with the government) whites in this country. South Carolina is where the Clintons are hoping for a back-lash and anywhere else they can find it..When a politican feels the possibility of losing an election all the negatives comes out..THIS SHOWS THE TRUE COLORS OF THE CLINTONS. If you want to know the real Hillary I strongly
    suggest you read "The truth about Hillary" by Edward Klien. To re-infect our
    White House with the Clintons with all of their baggage would be sinful.

January 24, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  8. Andre, CA

"Aware,"

It's not ad hominem when it's true and when it address the issues. What the Obama ad today said may not make him popular with you, but it was factually correct. Everything out of the Clinton campaign the past 3 weeks has been some twist or turn of the truth. That wasn't happening when she was ahead. Even Dem party elders have taken the Clinton campaign to task for how they've acted the past 3 weeks.

January 24, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  9. Andre, CA

Hello "Aware,"

January 24, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. TN

Was anyone else dissappointed by Bill Clinton's presidency? I mean if HRC is claiming that as part of her vast experience, even though it was as first lady and not as an elected official, then by all accounts hasn't she already dissappointed us the first time around?

I'm just bringing up that point. I liked Bill Clinton but i was never enamored with what he did , and I have the utmost respect for Hillary. I like Obama's message, but wished he had just a little more experience just to temper fears. Sometimes i hear analogies to Lincoln and how people thought he wasn't ready for the presidency either as a one term Congressman from Illinois. I don't know if we can really make that comparison, but all i know is I really want a candidate who thinks. Rather than one that takes all polls and tracking numbers into consideration.

What does experience get you anyways right? Bush was a governor and his VP had more experience than most... Pierce, Buchanan, andrew johnson... all had experience and all are rated as some of the worst. that's all. -tn

January 24, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  11. Dee Ward Mena, AR

People should realize that with the primaries all bunched up like they are this year that a candidate can not be in all places at the same time. So Hillary left South Carolina for a couple of days to let the people of other states meet and hear her views. I knew she would come back to South Carolina before the primaries but she did need to start on the other states too. There are 22 states having primaries at the same time. Do you think it possible for all candidates to be in all 22 states on the day of their primaries. If obama is not in Pennsylvania, California, New Jersey, New York and the other 18 states on the 5th of Feb, does that mean he is abandoning them, NO, of course not, it means he can't be in 22 states at the same time. So it is with Hillary, she is trying to cover as much ground as possible in a short period of time. Why don't you give her a break and realize that all the voters that think they want to vote for her want her to visit their state also. So she left South Carolina a couple of days, big deal. Live with it. I would like to see all of you that complain about her constantly keep up the schedule she is keeping and get the criticism that she gets while obama only gets the glory. Thanks HIllary for all of your work for this country.

January 24, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  12. Andre, CA

Kris,
    Thanks for making my point.

Don't have a factual response? Slam the messenger by implicitly suggesting that Mr. Alter is either not responsible or that he has a hidden agenda.

It's what Bush and the Republicans have made a sport of the past 8 years.

January 24, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Carol

When Bill Clinton first ran for president he was young and fairly inexperienced, but America gave him a chance because he had the potential to be a good president and he was. America now has the same opportunity with Barack Obama. Hillary is not Bill.

January 24, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  14. dee

Hillary Voted for war with Iraq and Iran(2007) for Bush

someone explain how experience paid off. She never learned from her mis-takes.

Nafta – SC loss Jobs

Please explain why would you want more.

That type of old broken experience is irrelevant when you want change

January 24, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. Khwaty

To Jess,

The negative attack started last February 2007 by Obama against Hillary Clinton, it was printed by UK Newspaper. Even my own candidate attacked her too negatively. For months Hillary did not say anything to these negatives from Obama and Edwards, the first time she did, Obama screamed foul which I find totally deplorable. Obama sent email to his supporters for campaign contribution.

Obama is like a boy who screamed for wolf, nobody believes him now. People have reached a saturation point, even the race card was brought up by Obama campaign, Tim Russert showed him the evidence during las vegas debate. Obama don't have any choice but to accept responsibility, it was his own people who brought the race card and try to blame it on Clinton. My black friends were disgusted with Obama especially when he started invoking MLK; according to them Obama is not a black American, he's a kenyan.

January 24, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. dee

Obama 08

January 24, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  17. GirlTalkInTexas

Well it's about time you got back Hill. I mean I was starting to get worried. That's enough about me...did you get those emails out in California? That's real good...maybe they haven't heard those rumors that you and Bill were involved in that messy stuff. Gotta tell you though, they might not work too good down here in the south anymore...people are starting to catch on.

Well anyway dear, we are sure glad you are back in South Carolina to soothe some ruffled feathers down here. And just in time with that election being Saturday and all. Did you get over your mad? Hope so...it makes the lines in your face show up a little bit more than normal you know kind of makes you look old.

No...I don't think anyone really noticed you were gone. Not with all the rukus Bill's been making. Why he has had Obama chasing down one rumor after another followed by one attack after another...well I don't have to tell you how good Bill is at that now do I?

I gotta tell you though Hill, he has really been making a lot of people mad down here. Now I know you told Bill you would "start it" and he could "finish it" but really dear...he was about to finish it up real good if you know what I mean. No no...I don't mean another woman...it just Bill being Bill that's all. Why he even had Chelsea go out to campaign...I think he told her to play the good cop since you weren't here. Oh...you knew that did you?

Well I hate to tell you but I looked at those CNN polls today. Did you know Obama had 38 delegates and they only showed you with 36? Well you just keep on telling everybody you won...not too many people are gonna really check that out now are they.

Saw where that New York newspaper endorsed you...now that's real good. It might not do you much good down in South Carolina if you know what I mean. But tell me again which one was it? I think Obama had some endorse him too. I don't know maybe it was Bill's former labor secretary or something like that. Lord, I tell you Obama has so many people starting to stand up for him it's getting hard to follow.

Well anyway, welcome back to South Carolina dear.

January 24, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. Jess

Khwaty,

I know I said I supported Obama, That is my choice, But why not respond to the point of my post? It had to do with urging all candidates to have a civil debate next time. And what the republicans did right tonight as far as civility. I am just asking if we can agree on some of those points. It wasn't an attack on Hillary Clinton.

January 24, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  19. dee

Carol

Said it perfect

in 1992 Bill's argument was the same As obama's today.

Change was need then

Change is needed again today

People always want to go back to some good old days

What about the possiblities of today.

Obama points out, as JFK did, happiness is found in the investment of each individual American working towards that greater cause.

January 24, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. JFisher

AMERICA IS A DEMOCRACY NOT A DYNASTY – we need Barack Obama NOW!!!

George H. Bush -Vice President: 1981-1989

George H. Bush – President: 1989 – 1993

William J. Clinton – President: 1993 – 2001

George W. Bush – President: 2001-2009

Hillary R. Clinton – ?President: 2009 – 2017

*36 years of the same two families holding the executive office of the United States of America.

*28 years of the same two families serving as President of the United States of America.

January 24, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  21. ann

BO is a speech maker. His inability to handle questions and comments under pressure was obvious in the SC debate. He only looks good in prepared statements. He is not ready for the presidency and even oprah may not be able to buy him the office. H Clinton thinks on her feet and can make decisions. She is so far ahead of him in knowledge of all aspects of government! No candidate has had the attacks and criticism she has endured and she has handled it. No candidate has been given so many breaks as BO. Inappropriate comments he's made are ignored. His past is never discussed. The preferential treatment of BO by the media is blatant.

January 24, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  22. CARL

obama can't even handle a piece of paper. how can he handle the United States? you can't be just present as president. we have seen in the last 8 years someone being just present. it is to important of a time to leave to someone who is so unsure of he position to just vote present. wake up america and cnn...

January 24, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  23. Donna, NJ

I strongly suggest that everyone regardless of political affiliation take a look at "THE VIDEO THAT HILLARY DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE" regarding her US Senate fundraising campaign and the Clinton's relationship with Peter Paul. You can find it on the Internet and was widely reported for months by every major news media including CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, etc. because it was such a serious issue. You would probably be just as surprised as I was that I actually almost "forgot" about this matter. Just trying to "keep it real" before making any serious decisions about the Presidency....Hmmmmm????

January 24, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  24. R K Portland OR

The vast right wing conspiracy has finally succeeded ......... :-) Hillary will be the Nominee ..

Woo Hoo

January 24, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  25. Mary

Well -

My candidate of choice is Edwards. I can't stomach Billary or Obama.

But since the voting populace can't seem to get their act together and actually vote for Edwards as the best candidate, I'm pulling for Romney to be on the ticket so I can vote for Romney. Second choice: Ron Paul.

January 24, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |