January 24th, 2008

Kucinich getting out

Kucinich will formally drop out of the presidential race Friday.
Kucinich will formally drop out of the presidential race Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Rep. Dennis Kucinich will announce he is abandoning his long shot bid for the White House in a news conference Friday, his campaign confirms to CNN.

In an interview with the Cleveland Plain-Dealer earlier Thursday, the Ohio Democrat said he plans on “transitioning out of the Democratic Presidential primary race" to focus on a "new direction."

His spokesman tells CNN the former presidential candidate is now gearing up for his congressional re-election campaign. Kucinich faces four candidates in a Democratic primary for his seat on March 4, and has faced criticism for devoting much of his attention to running for president.

In his interview with the Plain-Dealer, Kucinich said he will give a much lengthier statement Friday.

This was Kucinich's second bid for the White House - he first ran in 2004. The latest CNN Poll showed him drawing 3 percent of support among registered Democrats nationally.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich
  1. Marcia

Now if Hellary and Obama would do the same, the dems may actually have a decent candidate.

January 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. NickNas

R-E-C-O-U-N-T ; )

January 24, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Aidyn

Finally.

January 24, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. save the world

this seriously makes me cry. Dennis Kucinich was the one candidate who could lead our country on i with strength and with peace. If it wasn't for these media giants he would have had a better chance. I now have to support Obama or some other generic Democrat.
    Best regards to your congress seat Dennis.

January 24, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. bean counter, Motor City, MI

Now, if he will only take Johnny E with him. I can't believe somebody said Edwards is the most electable candidate. I'd take Hillary over Johhny anyday I consider myself to be an right leaning independent. I think the Dems will be sorry they didn't go with a guy like Richardson who has a fantastic resume or even Biden or Dodd. Obama seems like a nice guy and all but he hasn't run anything bigger than a community softball tournement – not usually a stepping stone to the Presidency.

Oh well later Denny, maybe he can come be the mayor of Detroit.

January 24, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. Mark

Who?

January 24, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. robert

Wow who cares...another crazy out of the race...too bad Gravel is still in....O and I wonder where his 15 supporters will go...hahahaha

January 24, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  8. Yes

He should have done it a long time ago, and Edwards should do the same after South Carolina.

January 24, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. Chris Westling

Why is this not on the front page? And why is this article just 5 paragraphs long? This is ridiculous.

January 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. Shon P. Connors, Warsaw, Ohio

Now if we could get Gravel out of this race then I think things will get interesting! GO OBAMA!

January 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  11. Don F.

I did not follow Sen Dennis K closely, but did respect him for being a candidate for the presidency. I wish him luck.

January 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  12. Bob

He should endorse Ron Paul.

January 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. Mark V.

Kucinich had some of the best ideas of all the candidates. Unfortunately, his quest was always doomed because the country is not ready for them. Moreover, he had too many other factors going against him to be a viable candidate. However, the sophomoric mocking in some of the posts here is only a reflection of the writers' immaturity.

January 24, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. john h

Dont be upset you liberal whiners.....you still have Mommie Hillary to take care of you......

January 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  15. jj

I can see the media circus has done well with a few of you who have fed into the misguided reports about him or not knowing much about him due to our large media outlets snubbing him (CNN being one of them). I hope his followers migrate towards Ron Paul ...... no one else is up to par with his beliefs.

January 24, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. KC, Douglas, AZ

I think he was a loony kind of guy with some great ideas. If wasn't so weird he would be out next president. Next we need Gravel (big time psyco) to drop out. For the Repubs, Giuliani, Romney, and the Huckster need to leave by convention time.
    This will create the best match up since Kennedy-Nixon in 1960: McCain and Obama!!!!

OBAMA 08

January 24, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Jane

Message to David, Santa Maria, it is my understanding that Dennis Kuchinich was mayor of Cincinnati, not Cleveland. So I'm a little confused by your recollection of his tenure as mayor of your city. Maybe you didn't notice that he wasn't your mayor??? Or didn't know that you were living in Cincinnati, not Cleveland???

January 24, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. Mark

Kucinich was blocked from debates by GE and NBC. He was censored during the first Democratic debate, because he called for Bush's impeachment, and the entire crowd erupted into applause. CNN deleted it, and several other answers – you can find it on Youtube.

He called for a NH recount, and he was proven right. The discrepancies they've discovered are staggering, including 10.9% missing in one county and 6% missing in another, and all candidates lost or gained hundreds of votes (bradblog.com), and every single Diebold memory card – every one – was missing, according to state officials.

He scares the liars who are running the country and rigging this election.

Bless this man, and we should all thank God people like him still exist.

January 24, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. silvio

Sad day, he was one of the few that wasn't bought and paid for by the enemies of fairness and freedom. The U.S. electorate has proven once again that they shouldn't be trusted with car keys much less the fate of the world. Idiots, all...please don't vote anymore, just stay home and watch TV.

January 24, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. matthew

I totally wasn't expecting that!!

NOW WHO WILL THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE BE???

January 24, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  21. Pat

He was a loony guy, a big time psycho. Now if only Giuliani, Romney, and the Huckster would leave...The only contenders that are running for President are Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John McCain.
    I suggest all you undeciders go for Obama!!!!!

January 24, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. Brian--- Modesto CA

This is exactly what is so wrong with our country! Odd he may be but his views are totally on target and what America needs to reverse the negative path it is on now. Sorry to see you go Dennis-you got my vote already!

January 24, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Cleveland, OH

Mark V., what were these ideas that were so great? He is my Congressman, and has done very little for his constituents- especially while running for President...I could understand his absence if he had a chance, but we learned in 2004 that no one was going to support his bid. Its not because of the media, and its not because Americans arent ready for these "great ideas." Rep. Kucinich simply does not represent what this nation needs.. I am a 60 year old, life-long Democrat and consider myself to be quite liberal. I would never vote for Dennis Kucinich for any office.

January 24, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. Liziman

Obama 08

January 24, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. Stephen,Wilmington,NC

GOOD ! Did anyone really think that little Dennis the mennis could run our country anyway? Besides his family members I think not. I hope he even looses his seat in Congress. He's too much of a nut case.

January 24, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |