January 24th, 2008

Kucinich getting out

Kucinich will formally drop out of the presidential race Friday.
Kucinich will formally drop out of the presidential race Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Rep. Dennis Kucinich will announce he is abandoning his long shot bid for the White House in a news conference Friday, his campaign confirms to CNN.

In an interview with the Cleveland Plain-Dealer earlier Thursday, the Ohio Democrat said he plans on “transitioning out of the Democratic Presidential primary race" to focus on a "new direction."

His spokesman tells CNN the former presidential candidate is now gearing up for his congressional re-election campaign. Kucinich faces four candidates in a Democratic primary for his seat on March 4, and has faced criticism for devoting much of his attention to running for president.

In his interview with the Plain-Dealer, Kucinich said he will give a much lengthier statement Friday.

This was Kucinich's second bid for the White House - he first ran in 2004. The latest CNN Poll showed him drawing 3 percent of support among registered Democrats nationally.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich
  1. Tim, Minnesota

I hope Ron Paul gets some of his supporters. The Constitution will combine all patriots.

January 24, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. callmeal

He represents a part of the democratic party albeit way to small to make a difference. We should welcome the tenacity of a man who knows that can not win but yet he makes bid because he has something to say. For that kudos to Dennis. I think it is admirable trait to stand up and voice your opinions not because they matter to the majority of the voters but it matters to be heard.

January 24, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. Mike

Jane,

It was Cleveland, not Cincinnati. Sorry to bring up facts....

January 24, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  4. Daniel

It's an expected announcement, but sad that a populist who advocated public good over corporate profit, not in the lame rhetoric of the top candidates, is out.

January 24, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. Jether J.

KC I so agree with you.

Kucinich really had some good ideas and came across as a very honest individual but he did not have that 'Presidential' aura about him. I think Obama and McCain will be one of the best elections we've seen in a long time.

January 24, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  6. Adam

EVERYONE KNOWS HE WAS THE BEST CANDIDATE. JUST TOO EXTREME. GO OBAMA, I GUESS?

January 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  7. Tom

Hillary 08

January 24, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. John

Jane, Kucinich WAS mayor of Cleveland not Cincinnati. Please don't call people stupid for saying something thats actually true. I like Kucinich's policies but Edwards needs all the extra support he can get

January 24, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. Greg OH

Jane, you are wrong. He was the mayor of Cleveland, I am from Cleveland

January 24, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. Gary Las Vegas, Nv.

Who, besides Dennis Kucinich, had the lasting courage to try to impeach the bad guys, Cheney and Bush? Sorry to see him go. Voters are cowards to not stand up for such the man and his / our most important agenda.

For anyone who thinks that it is too late to impeach – in Iraq, every 10 minutes an Iraqi dies. Every 10 hours a US soldier dies. Every 10 days 2 BILLION dollars is lost to Bush's illegal war. This is the price we pay for not impeaching now, tomorrow, the next day, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc..

McCain is a 72-year-old extension of Cheney policy. Can't vote for him.

Hillary scares me as a latent, sold-out, Bush policy supporter. Not her.

Ron Paul will now get my full attention for the Presidency. Just think. No IRS. No Federal Reserve. No draft. All troops will come home. The Federal Government will stay out of State Government business. US money would finally benefit US citizens – not the International Bankers and their corporate thieves.

January 24, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. matt

Okay.

Hillary 2008!

January 24, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  12. Jeff Albertson

Sad to see a dedicated, sincere office-seeker drop out. Sadder to see that in the comments here some want to slander him.

January 24, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  13. JL

"I don't think his wife's tongue stud helped him much either." – if it didn't help him, it sure could help me!

January 24, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. EB Rideout, Georgia

john h must be sharing the same urinal with Kneel Boortz – how's the Kool-Aid holding up?

January 24, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  15. boehnerd

I am familuar with Mr. Kucinich's work. No candidate is perfect. They all have their flaws. But, I am seriously disapointed that he is dropping out. None of the candidates are talking about the issues that face all of us with disabilities and our veterns who will be coming home from this unjustified war. Be afraid, be very afraid of those telling us that we should be buying disability insurance. I don't see anyone giving out free crystol balls so that we can read our futures. I gues we have to pick between gas in our cars to go to work, food, heat or disability insurance.

Daytona Beach Fl

January 24, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  16. Chris, Orlando, FL

Sorry to see you go, Dennis. You were given a raw deal in the media. I support your views, and appreciate all you've done for the American people. Best wishes in your reelection campaign.

GO HILLARY 08

January 24, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. Jaesun

I worked for Kucinich's campaign in 2004. It was the first time I did anything more exhausting than go to the poll for a day during an election. The maddening thing about talking to hundreds of people about his candidacy was that of those who would not vote for him, their reasoning was identical: "I like his message, but he's not electable."

Clearly, this is true; but why? I think it is simply because he is too much like the average voter. He is not wealthy or attractive. He doesnt own any multinational corporations. Despite the media's insistence that we avoid the issues in favor of celebrity gossip and trash talk, he makes every effort to address the things most of us actually care about. Obviously, nobody can agree 100% with any candidate, but I have found most of his platform genuinely hard to argue with.

Point being, he cant win because the average voter would never expect to become President, or to represented by a President that is anything like us. At the least, if every voter who believed Kucinich is the best available (electable or not) candidate did vote for him, I guaruntee his support would be far greater than 3%.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of talking about rich politicians who dont care about you or me and will say absolutely anything it takes to garner your vote by securing the official support of FOX News and CNN. And lets talk about UFO sightings completely out of context, because I really care about that.

January 24, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. chevyk

I feel sorrry that mr. Dennis wasted six year of his life on this campaign but hope that mr dennis does the right thing and supports senator Obama.

January 24, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

I am bothered by the nasty comments when he was the only candidate that ONLY looks out for the people (no matter what lies come out of the others' mouths now, look at their past votes).

If the people of this country had minds of their own, Kucinich would have run away with the election on his platform. We will get what we deserve. Now we will be stuck with the broken, corrupt, corporate private health insurance industry only interested in profiting from NOT giving us healthcare, we'll be stuck with war, stuck with NAFTA, and stuck with a President that has no problem with lying to our faces, and will continue to treat gay Americans as unequals.

Corporate America has won, and the people have lost.

I thought he would do really well here in CA, and I was going to be so proud to cast my vote for a true Democrat, a TRUE American.

There ARE smart, free-thinking people that care about America's well-being and we were all going to vote for Dennis Kucinich.

Congratulations Time-Warner and CNN and the rest of the greedy corporations scared to death at having a President that would only be obligated to the people, for contributing to this injustice and for insuring that there will be more death due to war, health insurance companies refusing treatment, and not having insurance at all.

January 24, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. Trevor

Thanks, Jane, for your understanding. It's completely wrong, as he was the mayor of Cleveland, as David said. Perhaps you never learned to read in elementary school? Or you just pull facts out of the air? I guess I'm a little confused by your ability to question someone who lived there and obviously knew what he was about.

January 24, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. kj227

I think Kucinich was a little eccentric but he's a good guy who truly loves this country. Too bad other politicians don't take pattern after him.

January 24, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. Terry

Well, Message to "Jane," Congressman Kucinich was the mayor of CLEVELAND. So before you start criticizing other people get your facts straight! Also, Kucinich is not the greatest congressman. Being from the west side of Cleveland I am aware what he has done for his district (which isn't much). He should have never ran for President and concentrated on the issues in his district.

January 24, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. Crazy Redhead

Hillary wants to drop bombs on brown people.

Edwards was one of the authors of the Patriot Act.

Obama wants to drop bombs on brown people.

And they call THIS "progressive?"

Bah.

I'm not voting this November. Not if any one of these people are my choices.

And I hate the Republicans. I'll bet you a dollar to donuts we'll see "President McCain." What a warhawk he is. You just know it's going to be him.

PUKE!

January 24, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. Bimmer

I liked Kuicnicn as a candidte.

Too bad he lacked the style.

But he didnot change his position depending on the audience.

The media like CNN also did not help him the way are helping Obama.

January 24, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. Drive A Faster Car

He's not endorsing any of the candidates. The leading Democratic nominees are all Republican-lite anyways. I'll be happy if he's in the Senate. And as a Kucinich supporter – Edwards is the last candidate I would vote for. (Well, technically Huckabee is the last candidate I would vote for.) Clinton or Obama hands down.

January 24, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |