January 24th, 2008

Kucinich getting out

Kucinich will formally drop out of the presidential race Friday.
Kucinich will formally drop out of the presidential race Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Rep. Dennis Kucinich will announce he is abandoning his long shot bid for the White House in a news conference Friday, his campaign confirms to CNN.

In an interview with the Cleveland Plain-Dealer earlier Thursday, the Ohio Democrat said he plans on “transitioning out of the Democratic Presidential primary race" to focus on a "new direction."

His spokesman tells CNN the former presidential candidate is now gearing up for his congressional re-election campaign. Kucinich faces four candidates in a Democratic primary for his seat on March 4, and has faced criticism for devoting much of his attention to running for president.

In his interview with the Plain-Dealer, Kucinich said he will give a much lengthier statement Friday.

This was Kucinich's second bid for the White House - he first ran in 2004. The latest CNN Poll showed him drawing 3 percent of support among registered Democrats nationally.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich
  1. OJA

It's funny that we don't blink an eye when someone says that God talks to them (Bush), but think someone who believes in extraterrestrial life is considered a loon.
    We may have advanced in the science and technology front, but we are no farther along intellectually than the Middle Ages.

January 24, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  2. Jason

Thank god, I hope he loses his congressional seat too, I hate the man. All of his positions are completely psycho and very few people in this country could agree with him....he uses more empty rhetoric than the major candidates. Kucinich is more of a "I like the constitution. so does everyone else. therefore you should vote for me because the majority of people agree with me. And it's the medias fault I'm a loser, not my own for being a weird psycho"

January 24, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. curiosityhasme

Since he already has his sleeves rolled up, he can help recount ballots in New Hampshire, as self-appointed Obama stool-pigeon. Another crybaby who has a case of sour grapes.

January 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. Anon

That's right America keep making fun of people who actually have experience to lead. Make up funny little jokes to make yourself feel important as all the people who could actually do the job give up.

When it's all said and done you'll have the "choice," of voting for the person that the media/gov tells you to vote for; regardless of their experience or ethics.

Then again it's too late. You people didn't wake up after 2000, and I doubt you'll wake up now.

I'll be shocked if CNN even let's this comment get posted because I'm telling you the truth. And most people know that isn't what you want to hear.

You can go back to sleep now...

January 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Tim

He is a stupid, idiot, moron and I live in Ohio near where he represents Cleveland...

January 24, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  6. jackie

I am really saddened that Kucinich has to drop out. His ideas were my ideas. I blame the media all they ever show are the frount runners and their the ones that have already been payed off by all the big buisness in this country.

January 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Larry, Fairfax, VA

Hillary is the Joe Lieberman candidate in my opinion – not only would she abandon her party in a New York minute to suit her own interests, but I fear the the same type of people (those that don't pay much attention to politics) will be duped into voting for her the way they were for Lieberman. The re-election of Lieberman (R-Israel) has been a boon for neverending war and not much else. Would Hillary not be the same? PLEASE let's elect someone other than Bush / Clinton to lead this nation in my lifetime! OBAMA is the only choice!

January 24, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Spencer

This is a shame. On the Democratic side, except for Gravel, all the intelligent candidates have dropped out. Now we are stuck with the current lame-brained three stooges.

January 24, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. James in Wichita

Where is information on this Ticker about Hillary and her 6 years at Walmart. What did she do there? Did she show leadership? Get with it CNN Bloggers, do your work!

January 24, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Jeff D

Like him or not ( I don't), you always know where you stand with Kucinich. Honesty of his type opens up possibilities for more reasonable candidates to enter the presidential races.

January 24, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Tony

I am not sorry to see DK drop out. He is out to lunch. The only person I would feel comfortable voting for is unfortunately not running. That would be Joe Lieberman.

January 24, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. Lindy

Welp, there goes one of the only candidates for gay marriage and lowered college tuition. I was rooting for him, but I knew he didn't have a chance in heck. All those "College Students for Kucinich" groups will be disappointed.

Onward and upward to Hillary 2008!

January 24, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  13. Shannon, South Hadley, MA

This is a sad day. Now I have to sacrifice my principles...

January 24, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Nika Miller

It's a shame that CNN won't even put Dennis Kucinich's name in the headline on cnn.com announcing the end of his presidential campaign. I believe that he had more than just 3% of the vote, but he would have had more had he gotten fair debate time on air. It's also a shame that the biased media has already decided who our next president will be – that's what's wrong with America today – the voice of the People no longer matters. What matter's is how much money you have and what family you belong to – not if you could truly make a difference in our failing economy, our broken homes, and the horrible foreign situation the Bush Regime has gotten us into. No wonder people feel disenfranchised and won't vote anymore – the corruption of our government has proven it doesn't matter – they install the successor of *their* choice.

January 24, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Anderson

You are a good and kind man, Rep. Kucinich. Your services at Capitol Hill are needed and we appreciate you as a member of Congress.

January 24, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  16. caesar

I believe Kucinich got dissed, which shows that the way we elect leaders stinks. He didn't get a fair shake. It's too bad.
    I propose a new and better way to elect candidates here.
    First, ask yourselves what are we trully good at?
    Right, watching TV, using the phone, and spending money.

1. put all of the candidates in a survivor-like episode and let them duke it out that way.
    2. Call in your vote for the person who should get voted off the show, 99 cents per minute, which will wipe out deficits over night.

This would be the most effective way to nominate a leader, and it would cut down on the lengthening process of the longest dramatic pageantry contest in the world. It would be fun to watch too.

January 24, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  17. caesar

I propose a new and better way to elect candidates here.
    First, ask yourselves what are we trully good at?
    Right, watching TV, using the phone, and spending money.

1. Put all of the candidates in a survivor-like episode and let them duke it out that way.

January 24, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  18. Richard

It's sad that so many here, apparently having nothing going for them except the childish sarcasm being exhibited in place of badly needed critical thinking skills and intellect, are so duped by our corporate media as to follow along with the network outlets in proclaiming as viable only the two or three Democratic candidates that have the most special interest group and lobbyist money with which to run their campaign. Of course those media sanctioned candidates will be beholden to those PACs and their lawyers once elected, and your vote will be cancelled out once again by money and politics in the Capitol Hill duopoly.
    Fascism continues to grow in the U.S. like the plague that it is, we have the best government money can buy, and you get what you deserve.

January 24, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. m.

I'd like to commend all the people who took the time out of their day to rank on a man who had the guts to stand up and say what he believed in regardless of his chances. Really folks, you're an inspiration to all the kids learning about the democratic process. Isn't there a trash talking Superbowl blog you could join instead?

January 24, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  20. Richard

I like Dennis. He is the only one who questions Bush mental state.

January 24, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  21. ale

This is a tragedy! He would have provided the Us with the best looking first lady after Jackie......
    americans have no taste for the important things in life....
    you should really take into account the gossip creating factor in a prez candidate, look at clinton, he's a master at that!
    ale

January 24, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. Sheila

I nominate Whoopi Goldberg.

January 24, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. tenstring

It's a shame his message didn't get into the mainstream of this loony bin known as the United States. Good luck holding onto your House seat Dennis! We need you in there speaking truth the this gang of criminals running our government.

January 24, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. JIM

It's interesting that the only candidate to speak about a Department of Peace dropped out of the race but the irony is thats suppose to be the job of the Department of State.

God Bless you and your family

January 24, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. scooped

I just watched Soledad beat up the Governor of Florida!!! Wow! Weeehaww!

Instant RESPECT!

I can't wait for the next pandering politician to appear.

Cheers,