January 24th, 2008

New York Times backs Clinton, McCain

ALT TEXT
The two national frontrunners won the endorsement of the New York Times (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - The New York Times is endorsing hometown senator Hillary Clinton, but picked Republican John McCain over former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, for their party's presidential nominations in editorials published on the paper's Web site Thursday night, moments before the Republican presidential debate in Florida began.

The editorial board - which frequently clashed with Giuliani during his two mayoral terms - devoted the heart of its endorsement of McCain to a brutal repudiation of the New York Republican. "The real Mr. Giuliani, whom many New Yorkers came to know and mistrust, is a narrow, obsessively secretive, vindictive man who saw no need to limit police power. ...Mr. Giuliani’s arrogance and bad judgment are breathtaking.

"The Rudolph Giuliani of 2008 first shamelessly turned the horror of 9/11 into a lucrative business, with a secret client list, then exploited his city’s and the country’s nightmare to promote his presidential campaign."

The paper said it disagreed with McCain over many issues but that "with a record of working across the aisle to develop sound bipartisan legislation, he would offer a choice to a broader range of Americans than the rest of the Republican field."

On the Democratic side, the Times called Clinton "the best choice for the Democratic Party as it tries to regain the White House."

It said Barack Obama had built an "exciting campaign around the notion of change, but holds no monopoly on ideas that would repair the governing of America."

Clinton, wrote the editorial board, "sometimes overstates the importance of résumé," but "hearing her talk about the presidency, her policies and answers for America’s big problems, we are hugely impressed by the depth of her knowledge, by the force of her intellect and by the breadth of, yes, her experience.

"We know that she is capable of both uniting and leading."

The Times, which backed Clinton in both her 2000 and 2006 Senate bids, also urged her to "take the lead in changing the tone of the campaign."

New York's voters head to the polls on Super Tuesday, February 5.

UPDATE: Shortly after the endorsement was posted, several opposing campaigns, including Rudy Giuliani's, issued releases highlighting it - since the support of the paper's liberal editorial board is not necessarily a helpful one for a GOP presidential candidate.

The Giuliani campaign even included a link to the article - despite the piece's attacks on the former mayor and his record.

Filed under: GOP debate • Hillary Clinton • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Linda

It seems to me that it is too early for any newspaper to endorse a candidate, Can't they wait at least until the primaries are over. I am undecided as of now and I feel the media and now the newspapers are trying to decide who the candidates will be. Give me a break, voters do count, at least they should.!

January 25, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. davmon

As an A merican I think we as a people are tired of the Clintons, we need a new president who has a diffrent vision for A merica and that person is Barack Obama no more Clintons we are a democratized nation and not a monarchy. So vote no to the Clintons and the Bushes no more.

January 25, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. BabyMagic

If Bill Clinton stayed home and didn't campaign for Hillary everyone would be saying "Hey look at that, even her own husband doesn't think she should be President." But because he is out there, everyone is talking about how we have 2 Clintons vieing for the Presidency. FYI folks – Hillary Clinton's name is on the ballot; Hillary Clinton is the one who is standing up to the "boys" in the debates and kicking their butts on quite a few of the real issues; Hillary Clinton will be the one making the Inaugural Address in just under 1 year from now; AND Hillary Clinton will be running the country while her husband sits back and looks pretty!

And to those who say that they are cancelling their NYT subscription because of this endorsement – I'm sure NYT will miss your business. . .NOT! You are some sad people.

I for one never really paid much attention to the New York Times until this, but I am going to call and subscribe; good choices for endorsment.

January 25, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  4. AtlantaVoter

Excellent OpEd NYT....and excellent choice!

Hillary Clinton 2008

January 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. v.ananthan

MRS HILLARY CLINTON 2008:

MRS CLINTON will be electet FOR THE SAME REASONS as president of USA....,

January 25, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. VA BEACH

YEA HILLARY ... YOU GO GIRL.. ..Outstanding job New York Times for speaking out with support for Hillary. I have always voted republican but on February 12 here in the Virginia primarys I am voting for Hillary. I will however only support the democratic party if she gets the nomination!!! I believe in Hillary, she is ready to lead, optimistic about this country and so lets take a chance.

President Clinton did a lot of good for this country and some folks need to remember where their loyalty should be! The way I see it is when Hillary gets into office we will have two great politicians leading this country for the price of one!!!.

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Jack

I canceled my subscription to the NYT this morning. I cited my reason, i.e. the endorsment of HIlliary and the guy didn't know which rebuttal to use on me, which was amusing.

BOYCOTT the NY times! I love the paper and have been a reader since I was a teenager in NJ, however they made a bad decision in endorsing Hilliary. She obviously represents our current status quo and no were in their editorial do they mention what the result of her candidacy will be: 4 MORE YEARS OF PARTISIAN POLITICS, NOTHING WILL GET DONE.

This is beyond irresponsible on the time's part and sounds like Friedmann, Rich and Dowd made the pick b/c I know that Brooks and Herbert are Obama enthusiasts. This feels very Judith Miller – esque, i.e. I wonder if they were paid off...

You might as well read the Washinton post b/c it doesn't get more Washinton than this.

January 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. New Yorker, NYC, NY

No I don't

People refer to Hilary as Hilary Rodham Clinton
    Barack Hussein , Obama Obama

I just letting People know his whole name.
    I have met both Candidates in NYC. What put me off about Obama were his comments to Senator Clinton and referring her as the Senator from Punjab. I am an African American and I am married to Indian-American. That comment really pissed me off. If he admits that he didn’t say then his surrogates did. If the Obama people say the surrogates are not linked to campaign well they can’t have both ways. When Clinton Surrogates say something bad about Obama they say Clinton said. When Obama surrogates say thing about Hillary Clinton they blame its surrogates.
    Obama started the whole race thing. The obama people attack Clinton that well respected in NYC. Like Rep. Charlie Rangel. They try to swift boat his achievement. Isn’t Swift boating what Republican do. I thought obama and his Supporter were against that. Well I thought Republicans were the enemy not Democrats. I mean why I would want Republicans to unite with Dems. Weren’t they the one that cause this disaster in first place? I loved that speech that Al Sharpton made on the 2004 DNC Convention . Look at what Obama had said, “ I am going for the Anti-Hillary vote. “ That is a Uniter. I think bill Clinton has every right attack Obama. I would’ve done same thing when someone attacks my wife. I thought men were suppose open door s for women not attacks them. My mother taught to be respectable of women. Some people here say that I am betraying my own race in voting for Hillary Clinton well I love my country more. I am not going to interject race into this election.

January 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Not a stupid Democrat

CNN, my comment has been in moderation for hours now. Post it please!

January 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. steve, PA

We all know the integrity of the New York times. They are a Liberal biased newspaper that hates republicans. They picked him because he is more liberal than the rest of his party.

January 26, 2008 07:04 am at 7:04 am |