January 24th, 2008

New York Times backs Clinton, McCain

ALT TEXT
The two national frontrunners won the endorsement of the New York Times (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - The New York Times is endorsing hometown senator Hillary Clinton, but picked Republican John McCain over former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, for their party's presidential nominations in editorials published on the paper's Web site Thursday night, moments before the Republican presidential debate in Florida began.

The editorial board - which frequently clashed with Giuliani during his two mayoral terms - devoted the heart of its endorsement of McCain to a brutal repudiation of the New York Republican. "The real Mr. Giuliani, whom many New Yorkers came to know and mistrust, is a narrow, obsessively secretive, vindictive man who saw no need to limit police power. ...Mr. Giuliani’s arrogance and bad judgment are breathtaking.

"The Rudolph Giuliani of 2008 first shamelessly turned the horror of 9/11 into a lucrative business, with a secret client list, then exploited his city’s and the country’s nightmare to promote his presidential campaign."

The paper said it disagreed with McCain over many issues but that "with a record of working across the aisle to develop sound bipartisan legislation, he would offer a choice to a broader range of Americans than the rest of the Republican field."

On the Democratic side, the Times called Clinton "the best choice for the Democratic Party as it tries to regain the White House."

It said Barack Obama had built an "exciting campaign around the notion of change, but holds no monopoly on ideas that would repair the governing of America."

Clinton, wrote the editorial board, "sometimes overstates the importance of résumé," but "hearing her talk about the presidency, her policies and answers for America’s big problems, we are hugely impressed by the depth of her knowledge, by the force of her intellect and by the breadth of, yes, her experience.

"We know that she is capable of both uniting and leading."

The Times, which backed Clinton in both her 2000 and 2006 Senate bids, also urged her to "take the lead in changing the tone of the campaign."

New York's voters head to the polls on Super Tuesday, February 5.

UPDATE: Shortly after the endorsement was posted, several opposing campaigns, including Rudy Giuliani's, issued releases highlighting it - since the support of the paper's liberal editorial board is not necessarily a helpful one for a GOP presidential candidate.

The Giuliani campaign even included a link to the article - despite the piece's attacks on the former mayor and his record.

Filed under: GOP debate • Hillary Clinton • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Ann Aloha Independent Thinker,PA

Ungrateful Rep Diaz(FL) says McCains endorsement was not a Big Deal mainly because in his opinion the NY Times is not a creditable source. I wonder if they are able to take endorsements back...hehehe

January 24, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  2. Sue B TX

I can tell you why I despise theClintons....they are ruthless and dirty fighters....they only care about regaining THEIR power–they do not care about the average American...she CRIES..do I want my grandmother as president???

Barak Obama is the ONLY candidate that can merge the two parties....Hillary gets there and the war is on.....

Barak is our JFK.....he is new, fresh, and he has a HEART...

the NY Times? the most liberal newspaper in the country...what an endorsement!

January 24, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  3. Gloria

Yes to the New York Times for endorsing Hillary Clinton, saying she has the intellect , the ideas and the experience. Its about time that the news media clearly recognizes the abilities of this very smart woman. She can stand on her own inspite of the Clinton legacy! Which in retrospect was Peace and Prosperity.

I agree that Hillary has to stop attacking Obama;s record, on second thought the Clinton campaign should have just said What record, there isn't very much in Obama's past to attack...Nice young, bright and up and coming ...perhaps for the Presidency 15 years from now when he matures a bit....

January 24, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  4. Kathy

I prefer New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd's take in her Wednesday column "Two Against One"!

January 24, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. wale azeez

is it just me or hillary supporters are plain blind? I honestly do not understand how anyone can support hillary? You have all these arguments that show she is a bad person(we are not even going to the level of president yet)... What is your argument for her, and please spare me that experience bull!!!!

January 24, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  6. Sue B TX

Republicans hate the Clintons so bad, there ill never be compromise.
    Barak Obama is the best candidate to bring Republicans over..
    If Rush Limbaugh refuses the back the Republican candidate you can bet there are others who fell the same way..

Hillary cannot and will not gain world respect....she could never make tough decisions for our defense...she would start crying........

January 24, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  7. Mati

wale azeez January 24, 2008 9:39 pm ET
    "every reader of this post…call up nyt and cancel your subscription if you have one..in protest of their biased endorsement…they are simply paying their dues to the clintons…america owes the clinton nothing!!!! We (america) are the reason why the 90's were great not bill!!!! bill is sore loser that rode a wave of american genius!!!"

Protest? What else? Revolution? Maybe with Obama leading a Ho!Ho! march?
    If Americans were great in building the 90s, what happened to them over the last 7 years? You can hate the Clintons as much as you want, you are still a minority.

Hillary'08!

And I trust NYT for their choice considering they also selected McCain. It will not be easy for Hillary to beat McCain, but this woman is really smart and determined.

January 24, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  8. eddie

JFK is JFK, Obama is Obama. Obama does not have experiences to win. He is little bit frustrated recently. He needs several years to practice.

January 24, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. Go Hillary ! ! !

All The News That's Fit To Print

January 24, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  10. Info

boycott the ny times

January 24, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  11. Jose Card - Independent

McCain found it interesting or even exciting by either sitting next to Hillary or whatever they were looking at.

Hillary looked upset and exhausted by either sitting next to McCain or whatever in front of them.

Who is the uniter in this picture?

January 24, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  12. Daniel, San Antonio, TX

Well – I was disappointed to here it but it was to be expected. Its the New York Times and that's her backyard. She had the advantage in the way that Obama will will the Chicago Tribune backing no doubt. It got some coverage – good for her.

Obama 08'

January 24, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  13. richard

The last 75 speeches from Obama in a nut shell. Hope, change, togetherness, unity, etc. etc. I was an Obama supporter untill I did a large amount of research on him and his contacts. It did not take long to relize that he is nothing but a politician like the rest. I noticed that people supporting Obama had no clue as to what he is about and his past. He could say I hope one day to drink milk with a cow on the moon and bring unity to the nation and that would be real change. His supporters would wail and cheer. Obama, Obama, Obama having no idea what he just said. As long as the key words about the meeting with the cow had change, hope, unity in there. It got old real quick and I have noticed more and more people realizing this and supporting the Hillary camp. Do the research. Hillary is the GOP's worst nightmare.

January 24, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  14. GO HRC

All The News That's Fit To Print

January 24, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  15. Carole

GO HILLARY GO!! You got it and Obama doesn't.

HILLARY 2008

January 24, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  16. Pokerface

Obama is NO JFK!!!....NO ONE IS JFK....I wish people would stop comparing themselves to JFK...there was only one....sadly....won't ever be another one......

January 24, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  17. rw

Well, I guess the NYTs finally put a voice of authority on what many have already said. November will be Hillary vs McCain.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu NYTimes for the Hillary endorsement. Count down to super Tuesday and to the serious stuff.

January 24, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  18. bill

The New York Times is the worst thing that could happen to McCain. With the New York Times lack of credibility with republicans and the conservatives talk show hosts, McCain is going to get dumped on big time. Way to go New York Times. You killed John McCain's chances in Florida.

January 24, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  19. shaun

No surprises here. The times has always ripped Rudy and has always been big Clinton supporters. McCain is the safe bet for them.

Either way these endorsements don't really mean much. NY will vote Dem. in November either way. Hillary will also win the primary. So no big deal.

These races are going to come down to the wire. Hopefully we get some more heated debates / mudslinging like we did the other night.

January 25, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  20. Hillarylover in Texas

Gloria: "Now I suppose the TIMES will be called racist by the Obama folks, sad state of affairs for one of the most important Presidential races in modern history."

I hope this doesn't happen – however I wouldn't be surprised. I am so happy with the NYTimes endorsement. Makes me want to subscribe to the paper. I honestly think Obama is a fine man. He just doesn't have what it takes.Especially right now. Clinton 08

January 25, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  21. hillary supporter

Who cares if you guys don't like Hillary. You know she is one of the best candidates in the Democratic Party. Obama is just a cry baby. Hillary 08!!!!!

January 25, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  22. Grace, Overland Park, Kansas

I AM SO SHOCKED!!!!! A LIBERAL NEW YORK NEWSPAPER ENDORSING A NEW YORK SENATOR?????? HOW CAN IT BE??????

the fact that the NYT made an issue of remarking that they did not nominate fellow New Yorker Guiliani highlights the natural expectation that someone from the same region is preferred over an outsider. it does not take a genius to realize this. i found it interesting that the article spent half the space justifying why they did not choose Obama instead of straight out explaining why they support Clinton. i wish they would have been more specific as to what her foreign experience entailed, as well as her 35 years of experience.

and as far as her intellect goes, i can tell you that anyone can do research and know details of specific issues. knowledge is easily attained. however, to be able to know your facts and on top of that have the ability to inspire, to work with people who don't agree with you, to maintain integrity, have excellent speaking skills and to gain the respect of the world are qualities that are possessed by few. we need someone in the office who is capable of doing that – and quite frankly i am not sure sen. clinton (and her husband) are the people able to do that.

January 25, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  23. Lei An

That's why I love NYT. It deserves to be the most prestigious newspaper in the country.

January 25, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  24. Steve

"Barak Obama is the ONLY candidate that can merge the two parties…."

Tell us how.

January 25, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  25. Edith

I love America. I will vote for Barack Obama. It is my vote to give and I choose to give it to the candidate that I feel will bring about the kind of change this country has been thirsting for...

I won't belittle Bill or Hillary Clinton. I don't have to. I will simply cast my vote.

There is an old saying: Those things done in the dark will ALWAYS come into the light.

Obama '08

**If voters are confident in their candidates ability to lead this nation...they would NOT have to tear down other candidates. Don't tell me what my candidate CAN'T do...tell me what YOUR candidate CAN do...

January 25, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |