January 24th, 2008

Obama: Vice President Oprah?

Oprah for vice president?
Oprah for vice president?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Politicians make a lot of ambitious election-year promises, but Thursday night, Barack Obama is making a few he might have some trouble keeping: if elected president, he’ll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober" and choose Oprah Winfrey as his vice president.

The Illinois senator floats these and eight other "campaign promises" tonight as he counts down the daily Top Ten list on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

The most recent in a series of candidates to yuck it up on a late-night talk show, Sen. Obama will also propose putting Regis on the nickel and appointing Mitt Romney "secretary of lookin' good."

In the pre-taped segment of The Late Show, Obama warned Letterman not to try to "muss [his] hair," like the talk show host did to John Edwards when he appeared on the show Tuesday.

–CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Full list after the jump

"Barack Obama Campaign Promises"

10. To keep the budget balanced, I'll rent the situation room for sweet sixteens.

9. I will double your tax money at the craps table.

8. Appoint Mitt Romney secretary of lookin' good.

7. If you bring a gator to the White House, I'll wrassle it.

6. I'll put Regis on the nickel.

5. I'll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober."

4. I won't let Apple release the new and improved Ipod the day after you bought the previous model.

3. I'll find money in the budget to buy Letterman a decent hairpiece.

2. Pronounce the word nuclear, nuclear.

1. Three words: Vice President Oprah.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jess

Before the fray starts, please remember that these are jokes. Let's at least keep our sense of humor.

January 24, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Ed

Barak would be a great vice-president for John Edwards.

January 24, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  3. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

What a sense of humor! I love it!

And now, without further ado...let the hateful words of the Republicans, Clinton and Edwards supporters flow forth.

January 24, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  4. James Griffiths

Doesn't anyone realize that this is a joke. The media needs to stop taking everything so literally.

January 24, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. Ryuken

In "Baraktober" vacation will be given so we can observe ramadon.

January 24, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  6. joe

The media loves this guy and that gets on everyones nerves.
    GO HILLARY 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. Diamond E.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!

Way to go, Mr. President.

January 24, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  8. Jason

tasteless

January 24, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. Wootguy

funny obama is the best choice for president under the democrats

January 24, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. Leo

Does this really belong on 'PoliticalTicker'? Ha ha, I'm laughing, but believe it or not, some people may actually think this is for real ... Mr. Obama is a good man. GO OBAMA!

January 24, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. B T A, D.C.

Who edits this ticker? It was a joke. Why that stupid title??

January 24, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. Ruth

Obama is my state senator. I wrote to him concerning senate bill 1959. I asked him not to vote for this bill. It violates our civil liberties. Our government should not be able to dictated what we think, what we say or how we feel. This bill wording is vague and opens the door for our government to arrest anyone that speaks out and disagrees with our government. This bill is unconstitutional and violates the 5th amendment.

Senator Obama wrote me back and stated "This is what our country needs right now." He supports this bill. I dont think he even read it and if he did anyone supporting him should be scared, very scared.

When I received my email response I quickly changed my party and decided to vote for Ron Paul. At least with him we will still have our freedom and our constitution will still remain.

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. wale azeez

okay!!! after reading the comments i now understand....at first i was like okay...obama is taking this hope thing too far!!!!! but yeah humor is great always!!! unlike some people (I won't call names because they will distort my record).

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. Steve, Chappaqua, N.Y.

The irony here is that the Clinton's can't win without Obama. It's going to be fascinating to see how they go about shaming him into accepting the V.P. spot after they get through mauling him in the primaries. Watch how they will say it will be his fault they lose the election if he (Obama) doesn't join the ticket.

The depths of their desire to get back into power never cease to amaze me.

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Dozirulf

I'm with Jess. It's Letterman, people.

January 24, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  16. Christina

II could not stand Bob Dole when he ran against Bill Clinton. The night after he lost, he was on the Letterman show, and I felt really bad that I had not seen that side of him during the election, I might have voted for him. I think it is Important that the condidates show a more human side of themselves. Not to mention it takes some of the last few days of intensity down a notch or two. Though, I can say, based on my husbands support of Edwards, he won't like his birthday being in Barak-tober next year.

January 24, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. Ray

About 3 weeks after Hillary was on Letterman, But funny.

January 24, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. ny

Ryuken, I can tell your a Clinton support... you can even mess up a "quote" that is on the same page... (5. I'll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober." .... In "Baraktober")

January 24, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  19. ricca, pensacola fl

what a joke!!! obama never gets my vote. The media is the ones making of an big issue of this obama., i will vote to romney instead,

January 24, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  20. Tim

What is going on. If Oprah becomes VP, its time to go to Canada. HARPO!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  21. David Snider

Funny!!!

Wake me up when Obama is President so we can really change the country for the better!

Obama 08

January 24, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. Eric

Claire McCaskill, a major Obama backer and a focus of his national TV ads, voted FOR the FISA bill today. How does Obama feel about such a major supporter supporting this invasion of our privacy and why is he giving her a national stage in his commercials?

January 24, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. Chris, Orlando, FL

LMAO... Clinton is going to crush Obama. The poor guy won't even be invited to the White House, much less wrestle a gator on the south lawn.

Go Hillary '08

January 24, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  24. Brasileiro

Obama. The best choice.

January 24, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. True_Blue

We need a new political party! The Clinton's represent the old democratic thinking, divisiveness, they play by the rules and get little done. Bill Clinton virtually created Nafta, losing Millions of American jobs. Just listen to how racist Hillary Clinton's supporters are, they are not going to move this country forward in any way. The republicans are, quite literally, bankrupting America to make themselves pervertedly rich.

We need a new party, made up of Neo-Democrats, progressives, independents, and yes, some republicans. We need to make a party that focuses on the people, all the people, of America. We need a party that will focus on smart Economic policies, a party that realizes that bipartisanship and transparency creates the best results in Washington. A party that realizes that when the American people are doing well, then the country is doing well.

More than everything else, we need to throw out these aging political families that have dominated Washington for the past 35 years. We need a new political party!!!!!!

WE NEED A NEW POLITICAL PARTY!!!

January 24, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |