January 24th, 2008

Obama: Vice President Oprah?

Oprah for vice president?
Oprah for vice president?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Politicians make a lot of ambitious election-year promises, but Thursday night, Barack Obama is making a few he might have some trouble keeping: if elected president, he’ll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober" and choose Oprah Winfrey as his vice president.

The Illinois senator floats these and eight other "campaign promises" tonight as he counts down the daily Top Ten list on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

The most recent in a series of candidates to yuck it up on a late-night talk show, Sen. Obama will also propose putting Regis on the nickel and appointing Mitt Romney "secretary of lookin' good."

In the pre-taped segment of The Late Show, Obama warned Letterman not to try to "muss [his] hair," like the talk show host did to John Edwards when he appeared on the show Tuesday.

–CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Full list after the jump

"Barack Obama Campaign Promises"

10. To keep the budget balanced, I'll rent the situation room for sweet sixteens.

9. I will double your tax money at the craps table.

8. Appoint Mitt Romney secretary of lookin' good.

7. If you bring a gator to the White House, I'll wrassle it.

6. I'll put Regis on the nickel.

5. I'll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober."

4. I won't let Apple release the new and improved Ipod the day after you bought the previous model.

3. I'll find money in the budget to buy Letterman a decent hairpiece.

2. Pronounce the word nuclear, nuclear.

1. Three words: Vice President Oprah.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. incognito

HAHAHAHA!! Did you Clinton supporters even read this? Somebody stated that Oprah could not be Vice President quite earnestly.

I swear... you people kill me. And for the record Obama has a much better sense of humor than Hillary. She's just funny looking.

January 25, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  2. incognito

If Hillary is the nominee, Bloomberg or McCain will be looking very good. One of them will get my vote because I won't vote democrat. I know a lot of dems that feel this way.

January 25, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  3. Cris

Where is our sense of humor? Lighten up America. I do not believe any of the candidates are prejudice. I believe in freedom of speech but you are all out of control!

January 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. Don, Rochester, NY

Trying to seem "normal" with some humor. I like it, but between that, his whining, and his "promises of hope" I am confident this man is not at all qualified to lead this country. Not that he'll get the nomination anyway, I'm just saying...

January 25, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. bill

if oprah is v.p. does that mean dr. phil will be secretary of health and welfare

January 25, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. James, Houston,TX.

Obama, Algebra One; Two Blacks don't make a White! or two Wrongs don't make a Right.

January 25, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. Mscarol13

You know what I can't stand about Hillary? She nevers answers a question that she is asked. She continues to go all around the question and give reasons only. She never answers the darn question. It is always, I think, Suppose, or this is what can happen. But never the answer.

January 25, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. Rick

OK, he has Oprah in his corner, wunder why? He was being crushed n the polls until Queen Oprah came on board and threw him a big political campaign bash, that by the way most folks showed up to to see her and hoping she was doing another give away not Obama. It is a shame that such a good person as Oprah, who has done so many great things for so many people had to go and tarnish her good name by backing a bad candidate. She should have done what she has done in the past and not gotten involved in polotics.

January 25, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. Edd of LA

Bet you CNN will hype this story again. CNN will hype anything OBAMA.

Hope Hillary wins! She will even without CNN's support. Hope this gets posted first....

January 25, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. josh 7911

it was the letterman show. come on. fire this journalist. Vote for a sense of humor. Obama '08: Because Ron Paul won't make it.

January 25, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. wilobs

i feel this jokes for sure they are tight but any way vote for yo best woman or not... Black or not.. but Oprah hahahhahaha she is wack she cant put what she says into reality

January 25, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Sharon in FL

Obama doesn't respect the office for which he's running. When he appeared with Oprah in Iowa, Obama said Oprah would make a good vice-president but "that would be a demotion" for her. Go Hillary '08. And keep speaking out, President Clinton. Save us from that inexperienced crybaby Obama.

January 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. Monique

In the words of Mitt Romney " I would hate to see Bill Clinton in the White House with nothing to do. " He is already running the shots.

McCain 08

January 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. Zubair, Monterey Bay, CA

I am so glad to see this on politicalticker... final i get to read something that doesn't depress me and makes want to pull my hair. I think its hilarious.

January 25, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  15. veronica lynne

Obama can go on Letterman and joke around if he wants to, but I don't support him, never did, never will.
    I lost respect for him when he was parading around with phony Oprah of all people!
    The joke was really on Obama when he said "Oprah for VP."
    He wasn't smart enough to see that?

January 25, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. Mark

Oprah is yesterday's news. That's why her TV ratings have gone down. Ellen is now the highest rated talk show on TV. Goodbye Oprah! You sold out!! Boo!!

January 25, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. Nomad

I knew that was coming - knew something was brewing between those "bros and susters"!!!

January 25, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. DREDD

America needs to wake up and see through the lies and false statements that the Clintons are doing, is it just me, dont anyone see this. Barak offers us a chance to actually have a government of the people by the people where our voice makes a difference is every decision our president makes. GO Barak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. stan pitts pa

wow a candidate for president cant joke no more? Obama shows humor and charm and thats how our friends and enemies will love him as president!

January 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. VA BEACH

OBAMA JOKE ALL YOU WANT BUT THE LAST JOKE WILL BE ON YOU. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR HIM AND I DON'T WATCH OPRAH ANYMORE. I agree with Sharon, from Florida, "Go Hillary '08. And keep speaking out, President Clinton. Save us from that inexperienced crybaby Obama".

January 25, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  21. Kathleen

What is the deal with Bill & Hillary Clinton and CNN? Case in point – this headline.

January 25, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. carole

This is ALMOST as funny as the video of Bill nodding on MLK day!!!

January 25, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. jm4847

lol. Still I just want to point out that Oprah represents everything that's wrong with America along with "Dr." Phil.

January 25, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. Maybe it wasn't a joke......

Maybe it wasn't a joke........maybe wishful thinking? At least he has to put her in the Administration, IF he gets past Hillary......NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  25. PoliSci GradStudents

1) Susan-VA Whatever happened to the health care plan promised while Hillary was first lady??!!

Susan, the Health Care Plan was defeated by the Republicans led by Newt Gingrich in 1993. Do a little research.

2) Foreign National January 25, 2008 3:38am
    Anyway for comments of the voting record, an added piece of information, also Obama has 'not voted' 254 times as a senator in Washington in his first three years, so regardless of what a 'present' vote means in Illinois, in Washinngton, it means sitting on the fence, or complete irresponsibility.

You can check on congress.org the voting records of all congress and senate members. In total, no candidate in Republican or Democratic side have missed as many votes as Obama, and he is a senator for only 3 years, and others are serving more than twice as long, still missing less than half as many as Obama!

3) Ray January 25, 2008 8:32 am
    What about the 5 mistake votes he has done also? How does someone make a mistake 5 times when he votes?

Excellent point. Senator Obama stated that at least 5 times, he simply pushed the wrong button! What is scary about that statement? The Absented Minded Professor comes to mind – but being President of the United States with a finger on the hot button is certainly no laughing matter and clearly not a joke.

January 28, 2008 04:15 am at 4:15 am |